Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 102 103 [104] 105 106 ... 113

Author Topic: What's happening in your Fort.  (Read 184871 times)

endlessblaze

• Bay Watcher
  • likes dragons for their fiery breath
    • View Profile
Re: What's happening in your Fort.
« Reply #1545 on: July 10, 2016, 05:11:52 pm »

18th of Galena 105, 5th year in this succubus fort. Embarked to a tropical beach. Only one invasion so far, if you can call it that... about 6 orcs showed up with no armor (and in some cases no weapons), were quickly dispatched by my frog demon/pearl fiend military. Only interruptions to my succubi's peaceful tropical life has been the intermittent werebeast attacks (5 so far). No infections and few deaths.

This last one was interesting, though... a werefox courtesan who managed to run down my legendary herbalist in the forest outside the fort. Thought for sure the herbalist would be dead before my military got there, but she escaped with only severe bruises. After the werefox was dead and its corpse dumped in one of my magma wells, I noticed it had left behind a slab it had apparently been holding. I had it brought back to base and took a look at it.

Edit: Took a look in legends viewer... this slab was created by The Red Bride (a succubus deity some of my people worship) back in year 40 for a snowy owl man who became the werebeast I killed. The slab apparently made him immortal, and then he was attacked by a werefox later. So... can I make all my succubi immortal with this thing? If so... how? >.>
neat. I wonder if it gives powers.
Kids make great meat shields.
I nominate endlessblaze as our chief military executive!

jimboo

• Bay Watcher
  • Bastart
    • View Profile
« Reply #1546 on: July 16, 2016, 09:34:17 am »

I’d be interested to know how others start out Prepare Carefully on new embarks and then how it turns out.  This is my current, non-cheating setup:

July 15 release – maybe with libraries, this time.

A new embark in mountains, 7 dwarves, warm, Untamed Wilds.  Looked for temperate but this will do.  Sold back most everything at embark for extra points, spent ‘em on single point variety skills, mostly.  Upped points just in case and, yeah – elephants offered!  Bought two (502 total) just to see how big they grow and whether we can keep ‘em fed w/o the baled hay option in the new releases.  A couple of pet rocks because these dorfs like them, one dewbeetle, same reason.  Put 4 points in Gatherer, helps a lot early, our only “skilled” dwarf.  Only one point in Weaponsmith.  Our single-points Axeman will double as woodcutter, animal trainer and ambusher; he has a hunting dog and is the only other dorf with multiple skills besides Books, our Leader.  No bats this time, they’re now more trouble than they’re worth: taking cheap turkeys instead.  Quick eggs then meat, tallow and leather = hardened leather for early armor.  A pair of craigstooth boars for waranimals and sheared ivory.  One bar of iron to get a decent axe for Axe, sold back one of the 100 point copper halberds.  No, selling them both back: a couple of bars of copper and three rocks, 77 points saved for one cheap copper axe.  But we can’t cut trees until we have that axe so, three cut logs now = 168 points saved for both halberds.  Add in the 50 pt wheelbarrow, stepladder, splints, crutches, cloth, food, most seeds and nearly all the booze (we have a decent Gatherer joining us) and it adds up enough to cover the two elephants; this is not even a cheat.  Ha!  Bought sand just to get the cheap bags; one of our starting seven likes glass but, no points to spare, she’ll learn on the job.  There’s some soil in this steep-sided mountain for digger training.  A point in cooking, should become our trade goods expert fairly soon.  Nobody has points in metalcrafting or gemsetting (some Greedy Little Bastards embark this is!) because we don’t have the points to spare but this mountain is chock full of ore including native silver and gold; we should do alright.  Priority will be on early defense, Invaders On, all, with high skill levels.  Many civs nearby in a 90 year world.  Werebeasts and Vampires Off, though, unless worldgen mucks with us.  Diagnose is the only medical skill to start out; taking a big chance early on.   

15th Granite 92, early Spring.
The brook shown on the map turns out to be a river with 15 nearby AnimalMen/Monsters and crocodiles.  More of an adjacent plain than expected but the mountain goes up 18 z levels.  This game will be played without DFHack cheating but changing the ground silt to CLAY_LOAM because I like the color.  No sand showing on any cliff face: soils, granite, mudstone.  Setting up Therapist and – what the … ?  Our great Gatherer seems to have more points in Growing; a misclick?  Hmm.  That might prove a problem, starting early to gather berries.  There aren’t all that many berries but there’s some rope reed, rat reed and melons nearby, booze should be OK if we hurry and stay clear of the water.  Step the first: use one of those rocks to make a forge and another for mason, the third for blocks (throne) while the diggers decide where to start in on that cliff and … guess we’ll need one of those visible granite tiles for a wood furnace, miscounted.  A mated pair of yaks pulled the wagon, lucky that, dwarves are setting the animals in a defensive perimeter. 
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Good walls make for good neighbors. -- Urist Frost
Avatar photo credit: NomeDaBoy@Worth1000.com, reposted from BoingBoing.net (great site)

chaosfiend

• Bay Watcher
  • Hail the Cutebold Overlords
    • View Profile
« Reply #1547 on: July 16, 2016, 10:09:06 am »

Just generated a new world in 1.10 to try the new kobold stuff. Mandlebrot, 500 years. Still in the era of Myth, and I'm looking to see if I can dredge the Kobolds up from their weak position. Course as usual I bump caves up to a ridiculous amount so I can find one to embark on.

....Except they are NOT weak in this world. I checkd the Legends viewer: Over 40,000 Kobolds spread between 508 sites that they have conquered/created and only lost 100 or so in that 500 year span. Goblins are a distant second at 23000 strong and 12 sites

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #1548 on: July 16, 2016, 10:44:39 am »

they have metal. they have CAVE_DETAILED instead of CAVE.

Thats the difference.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

jimboo

• Bay Watcher
  • Bastart
    • View Profile
« Reply #1549 on: July 23, 2016, 02:35:45 pm »

15th Granite, early Spring
Wow, right off the bat, third tile into the granite mountainside, Wyrm, earned his name, took out one of our miners and busted up the other.  Made his way out to the tuskoxen that pulled the wagon who finally took him out before he could grow up.  A magma spitter, now there are three spreading surface fires about to take out the wagon and all our supplies … can DF turkeys fly or are they goners, too?  Oh, wait – Ellestravod the Granite Wyrm is still out there, busted up pretty badly but took out another miner and an ox.  Turkeys maybe can’t fly but they’re smart enough to go up a level on the mountainside.  FPS drops to 19, this is a 3x3 surface fire.  So much for those cut logs and supplies …  Newly drafted troops in the Miner’s Militia are either scared or just waiting out the fires in the dugout shaft.    And – AAReport: down to two dwarfs: one terrified, the other pretty busted up and burned (parts ‘beyond recognition’).  Two of the turkeys made it along with one tuskox, also busted up.  The Wyrm finally just left the screen, we never did finally get ‘im.  This new outpost, Idenelaub, ‘Paddlesquirted’ will likely earn a new nickname before we can attract any migrants.  Prospect All now says, “Edible plants?  Are you kidding?” 
Good walls make for good neighbors. -- Urist Frost
Avatar photo credit: NomeDaBoy@Worth1000.com, reposted from BoingBoing.net (great site)

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #1550 on: July 23, 2016, 03:12:16 pm »

15th Granite, early Spring
Wow, right off the bat, third tile into the granite mountainside, Wyrm, earned his name, took out one of our miners and busted up the other.  Made his way out to the tuskoxen that pulled the wagon who finally took him out before he could grow up.  A magma spitter, now there are three spreading surface fires about to take out the wagon and all our supplies … can DF turkeys fly or are they goners, too?  Oh, wait – Ellestravod the Granite Wyrm is still out there, busted up pretty badly but took out another miner and an ox.  Turkeys maybe can’t fly but they’re smart enough to go up a level on the mountainside.  FPS drops to 19, this is a 3x3 surface fire.  So much for those cut logs and supplies …  Newly drafted troops in the Miner’s Militia are either scared or just waiting out the fires in the dugout shaft.    And – AAReport: down to two dwarfs: one terrified, the other pretty busted up and burned (parts ‘beyond recognition’).  Two of the turkeys made it along with one tuskox, also busted up.  The Wyrm finally just left the screen, we never did finally get ‘im.  This new outpost, Idenelaub, ‘Paddlesquirted’ will likely earn a new nickname before we can attract any migrants.  Prospect All now says, “Edible plants?  Are you kidding?”
Wow, that's harsh.  The Random Number Gods owe you a favor.  Go buy a lottery ticket :)

I just added a grace period delaying any Living Stone until you've had a chance to see what the underground looks like, but apparently it was too late to make it into MW this time around.  I'm hoping MW 1.12 will have at least TESB v2.13 in it.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1551 on: July 23, 2016, 05:13:39 pm »

Actually managed to get a kobold cave start that works. I did wall off the caverns entrance, at least for the first year or too, but I haven't seen anything more threatening then large rats. Was looking forwards to trying out the new library stuff with kobolds, but seems they're not actually literate. Whatever, I made a temple instead and had a nice glass statue of our fortress's symbol made. And holy crap the symbol of the group that runs my fort is a MASTERFULLY DESIGNED IMAGE OF BOGEYMEN.

That's easily the most badass group symbol I've yet encountered. Considering how absurd the starting kobold dodging bonuses are, it might even be fitting.

EDIT:

Got a decent cavern outpost set up. Only dangerous creature that's spawned down there so far was a troll, and he got caught in a cage trap after bashing down the door.

Merchants came during the worst possible time:

There were keas on the map. One merchant got chased up a tree by a kea. He then proceeded to fall out, break his neck and die. Then the keas stole his clothes and fled the scene.

Coincidence? I very much doubt it!
« Last Edit: July 24, 2016, 10:52:03 am by Arcvasti »
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1552 on: August 06, 2016, 08:46:59 pm »

Doublepost because long time interval plus talking about a different fort.

My lone incubus[And a few constantly praying long-term residents] fort/tavern was starting to get boring. So I decided to upgrade the tavern's furniture to solid silver, to lure some more interesting people. Despite lacking iron, my site DOES have Galena. So I mined a bunch of that and agonizingly refined and smelted it until I had enough silver. I also ended up with an orichalcum bar, which I used to make an Alchemist workshop. Apparently, the metal you can transmute silver into is GOLD. Solid gold tables in the tavern would be even better then silver. And I have plenty of marble to power the transmutations, so that won't be a problem. So here goes another huge round of making precious metals. At least my longest-term resident finally became a citizen, so I have SOME extra help, but things are still going quite slowly. Then an elven caravan showed up. Not sure why[I thought hermits didn't get caravans?] and not sure why now[In the fourth year of the fort]. Maybe all my precious metal finagling broke some trade threshold or something. Turns out hauling trade goods to the depot is incredibly slow with only two people, but they didn't have much I wanted anyways. I still bought a water buffalo cow, to encourage them to bring more caged animals next time.
Spooky Signature

___MeRliN___

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1553 on: August 07, 2016, 10:29:28 am »

On 0.34 Orc Fortress:

Cannot figure out how I am supposed to get scalps when I cannot butcher invaders. Only option I saw was sending out a goblin assassin but I guess that cant be the only way.
Having my Uruks equipped with Daikatanas from the Damasc Workshop and cheap copper shields and cladded in lamella armor. They tear through most invaders easily. Gave one of them a Steamhammer and another one a Great Axe to mix things up a little bit. Very impressive... now if I only could figure out how to get scalps as Orc without sending tons of goblins out...
Signature coming *soon* TM

dirkdragonslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Modder, Proficient Failure
    • View Profile
« Reply #1554 on: August 07, 2016, 10:46:34 am »

Just generated a new world in 1.10 to try the new kobold stuff. Mandlebrot, 500 years. Still in the era of Myth, and I'm looking to see if I can dredge the Kobolds up from their weak position. Course as usual I bump caves up to a ridiculous amount so I can find one to embark on.

....Except they are NOT weak in this world. I checkd the Legends viewer: Over 40,000 Kobolds spread between 508 sites that they have conquered/created and only lost 100 or so in that 500 year span. Goblins are a distant second at 23000 strong and 12 sites
Wait, in the newest version the Kobolds can survive worldgen? That's amazing, I can finally find a use for all these pearls and shells apart from decorating every single piece of furniture in the fortress.
"Games come and go, and we all get tired of some games after time, but Dwarf Fortress seems to grab me by the leg every couple months and drags me back with it's bloody, ASCII claw. I think this game has given me Stockholm syndrome, but I love it so, and it's simplistic style yet extremely complex mechanics are like fine art, like a beautifully crafted ☼Cave Spider Silk Sock☼" - Dirk 3/31/2014
TAIL SHOOOOES!

zakhad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1555 on: August 07, 2016, 06:22:43 pm »

Hear Ye Hear Ye! There be afoul beast about The Dire Bat now known as Sininssene slayer of the Forgotten Beast Ime Shean

And heres me worrying about the Forgotten beast, the Dire Bats are the true terrors of the caverns
LP'er

Malakor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1556 on: August 11, 2016, 09:19:47 am »

So i made a Tribe of Orcs on a Succession World for Masterwork.

Played for about 14 Months before my Orcs got attacked by this Wererabbit.
After one died i just went the insane way, putting everyone into a squad.
5 Squads filled! And then i ordered them to attack the beast! I knew that was a bad idea but oh well! FUN

After the beast was slain i had to setup a pre hostpital area for the about 9 injured orcs i had.
I knew they were infected but at that point i didn't care anymore. (mostly because my fps bugged me, being mostly around 10-20)

After one Monts two were already out of the hospital.They both turned into Wererabbits not even a week later, as i was expecting.
Since the squads still existed, i activated them once again to hunt down those monsters! Well, one was super agile and strong, managed
to kill 10 of my orcs before he finally died. Turned out that he was my agilest and strongest orc (Uruk!).
And since everyone was basically wounded, i thought i will just lock the ones in the hospital in and retire.
After posting the save and a short description what happend, i realized that the name of my Fort was "Wereclasp".
So i was doomed straight from the beginning!

Wereclasp, the Tribe of Wererabbits who once were orcs.     R.I.P.

EDIT: Here a link to the Succession world thread. It is still active, everyone is welcome!
« Last Edit: August 11, 2016, 09:23:26 am by Malakor »

Arcturus

• Bay Watcher
  • Busy Being Worshiped By Alien Pagans
    • View Profile
« Reply #1557 on: August 12, 2016, 06:44:18 pm »

So i made a Tribe of Orcs on a Succession World for Masterwork.

Played for about 14 Months before my Orcs got attacked by this Wererabbit.
After one died i just went the insane way, putting everyone into a squad.
5 Squads filled! And then i ordered them to attack the beast! I knew that was a bad idea but oh well! FUN

After the beast was slain i had to setup a pre hostpital area for the about 9 injured orcs i had.
I knew they were infected but at that point i didn't care anymore. (mostly because my fps bugged me, being mostly around 10-20)

After one Monts two were already out of the hospital.They both turned into Wererabbits not even a week later, as i was expecting.
Since the squads still existed, i activated them once again to hunt down those monsters! Well, one was super agile and strong, managed
to kill 10 of my orcs before he finally died. Turned out that he was my agilest and strongest orc (Uruk!).
And since everyone was basically wounded, i thought i will just lock the ones in the hospital in and retire.
After posting the save and a short description what happend, i realized that the name of my Fort was "Wereclasp".
So i was doomed straight from the beginning!

Wereclasp, the Tribe of Wererabbits who once were orcs.     R.I.P.

EDIT: Here a link to the Succession world thread. It is still active, everyone is welcome!

You could still go on as a tribe of wererabbits. There would just be more death amoung the newcomers and noone would fuck with your tribe.

Thelo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1558 on: August 16, 2016, 08:19:21 am »

My first caravan just arrived. I think the Outpost Liaison is either sick or poisoned... he died just before my entrance. By the way, dear Urist, I'd rather you pull the lever as soon as I ask for it, or else you will have to face the next werebeast by yourself.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1559 on: August 16, 2016, 11:37:41 am »

My first caravan just arrived. I think the Outpost Liaison is either sick or poisoned... he died just before my entrance. By the way, dear Urist, I'd rather you pull the lever as soon as I ask for it, or else you will have to face the next werebeast by yourself.

-snop-

IIRC, this is a valnilla bug with how worldgen combat works. His heart took a yellow wound and the worldgen fight simulator deemed it non-lethal, so he kept doing worldgen stuff. But once he entered the fort, the more detailed rules of combat/medicine took effect and he started bleeding out from a wound to an important organ.

Also, it says that he's a Werepangolin. If he'd transformed back, he should have healed everything. So don't know, this is weird on multiple levels.
Spooky Signature
Pages: 1 ... 102 103 [104] 105 106 ... 113