Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 103 104 [105] 106 107 ... 113

Author Topic: What's happening in your Fort.  (Read 185470 times)

Thelo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's happening in your Fort.
« Reply #1560 on: August 17, 2016, 11:12:32 am »

Was that really necessary, Shem Tuloniton? -.-

Thelo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1561 on: August 19, 2016, 10:05:41 am »

I'm starting a new fort in a fresh world by the name of "Jonene Abini" The Universe of Prophecy. It's 417 years old and has all races and invaders enabled. I created a new profile with Perfect World and just edited a few settings (high megabeast count and others), used a bitmap for the Elevation and created a Heart of Savagery savagery map. The bitmap I used was part of a black and white image of a neuron or neuronal network from the Neuron Wiki Page.

My civ's name is The Destined Knife and is not very well off in this world. Since creation, they founded 13 settlements only to lose 11 of them to megabeasts. My dwarven kin has a total population of 331 dwarves. Of the 417 years of history, they have been intermittently at war with the Warwolves of The Murder of Suicide since year 53. We won many battles but lost many lives.

My fort's name is "Risenbal" Coaltones and my group's name is "Kivish Nokzam" The Lancers of Battle, so my army will mainly consist of lances, hammers and javelins.

My groups symbol consists of the following:

The three knives represent Violence (Carving), Wisdom (Boning) and Generosity (Slicing) and there's a deity linked to each. The Diamond represents the dangers of wealth. Which of the knives will lead us to our destiny is yet to be found. May Armok help me to make The Destined Knife leave their print in History.

Strike the earth!!

Edit: Photobucket reduced the last image's dimensions... too wide, maybe.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2016, 10:11:30 am by Thelo »

Arcturus

• Bay Watcher
  • Busy Being Worshiped By Alien Pagans
    • View Profile
« Reply #1562 on: August 23, 2016, 08:01:11 am »

Beware vampire trolls washing dingoes... lol

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Strangely my guard turned into a wererhino and no one was attacked he just kept hauling stuff.

Here is still training with the guard unit in wererhinoceros form. I think I hit a glitch. He doesn't even pause when he transforms. He just keeeps doing what he was doing.

Wow that's a lot of news.

« Last Edit: August 24, 2016, 03:58:04 pm by Arcturus »

Malakor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1563 on: August 23, 2016, 01:41:05 pm »

So im just about to make a new embark as orcs, with the goal to reach the first cavern and etablish some sort of cavern fort (with sorta like above ground buildings) and try to survive as long as possible.

About to wait for the first two migrant waves and then abandon the overworld to strictly live in the caverns. (Caravans and other migrants bye bye!)
So i will have contact to the overworld for about 1 year i guess. FUN!

But with this Symbol on our banners, nothing can go wrong! Right? ...

Edit: Everything went fine, til i saw an army of Nahash rushing at us. 18 of them...

I quickly decided to rescure our only Arctic Condor with designating a meeting area there, so the non-trained-wolves would join the fight!

That escalated quickly...

Time to strike the Cavern and live there with 3 orcs and 17 animals! I doubt it can become worse!

The worse that happend was 13 more of those Nahash, rushing at my animals, killing off my last 3 men. 8 of those filthy serpents survived. RIP
« Last Edit: August 23, 2016, 02:48:30 pm by Malakor »

vonsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1564 on: August 25, 2016, 10:24:30 am »

Set my kobold fort aside and am playing with humans.  First attempt I screwed up and forgot to turn off kobold settings for digging at world gen.  Ended up not able to mine stone.  Decided to regen.  Could have gone on importing and buying stone from merchants, but really wanted to open pit mine.  Was also interfering with well digging.

Next start ran into a different problem, this one may mean another restart as it's worse.  For some reason I can make my brick splitter see any stones.  I made sure they are enabled in the Z-stones menu (which is my usual problem since I tend towards odd stones), rebuilt the splitter several times, triple-checked assignments in stockpiles, turned off and on using stones from stockpiles or anywhere, and still never get any visible stones in the building.  Suspect the issue relates to something in the UI launcher.  Guess I try deleting the profile and creating a new one from scratch.  Turning on and off the kobold settings maybe FUBARed something.

I went three years in that first human fort with zero hostiles.  Also noted I never see goblin civilizations.  As in 100 or so world gens, nothing.  I checked legends and never see a single goblin civ in the listings so it's not that they are dying off, they are never appearing.  I am running white tigermen, nagas, pandas and... something else.  The something else also never appears.  The elves, dwarves, humans, orcs and kobolds are usually there.  Now and the the elves die off.  In play I am never even seeing kobold kidnappers.  Just wild animals appropriate to the biome.

Do get trading caravans.  Get them too often for my liking in kobold forts.  The are really flimsy now too.  Thinks this is a vanilla thing though.  Almost and hostility and one wagon explodes and the rest flee.  But not all.  Now and then a merchant does kill a snake or something without turning around.

Okay, off to try a fresh profile and a new world gen.

Edit:  Figured out the brick-splitter issue!  It's the silly repeated "i" hotkey.  In the first game I selected from the menu, I guess.  That works.  When you use the 'i' hotkey it uses the group heading instead of making an actual brick-splitter.  Argh.   There was nothing wrong with the other world... but I already deleted it.  :-X

Okay, maybe serpentmen show up as nagas.  I have nagas turned off, but serpentmen on and I just got a gen with nagas.  No goblins.  No minotaurs either (those are turned on too.)  Everything else turned up as expected.

It's Winter in year 100 (1st year) in Oshokdana (aka Lasthope) and the population is up to 26.  Two 19x19 buildings are about half up.  Basement in first was the first dorm, accountant study, etc.  It now has an empty main floor and two floors of bedrooms, 14 regular ones and 2 noble suites per floor. Really only using one noble suite at present.  I plan to put a guildhall on main floor in first and 2-3 more in the second building.  Another 6 are surveyed and the basement of the first of those is being dug.  Also have a 40x20 pit mine begun.  It's only one level while I wait for the swamp to dry out.  There are 8 2x5 farms in strawberries, prickles, oats and rope reeds.  Right now they are all being turned into drink to sell to a drink merchant.  Also selling a lot of wood as even after putting up a stockade I have 1500 in stock.  Sales amount to 25500 sovreigns this year.

Had one visit by kobold thieves.  They saw the dogs and ran off.  I am sure they will be back.  Only one human caravan.  I think I am pretty far away from the elves.  The dwarves are off the horizon.  Orcs and Kobolds are very close though.  I haven't yet officially met any foreign civs so far.  Are wild but not very hostile so far.  Some pandas and a lot of birds.  No thieving birds so far.

I only have a couple cats on vermin control, a small dog pack (4 plus a few puppies) and a pig pen.  Only butchered the wagon animals and one water buffalo I bought from traders.  Have plenty of food and if I need to I have access to a river and a sea coast within my stockade.  I usually fish with humans, but resisting that this time.

Have a warrior and a ranger that arrived with the immigrants.  The warrior will become military commander and ranger will be his sparring partner at least until the next wave, when I will assign more to the militia.  Hoping they see some action.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2016, 08:25:43 pm by vonsch »

urmane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1565 on: August 26, 2016, 04:05:52 pm »

"The Stray Bull (Tame) has been found, starved to death."

.... in a tree.

Darwin works in mysterious ways.

vonsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1566 on: August 26, 2016, 04:49:23 pm »

Heh, I keep seeing pandas fall out of trees.  Must be getting high...

Treason

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1567 on: August 27, 2016, 09:14:19 pm »

Decent beginning of a succubi pit.  Used the new obsidian armor for my military, was pumping out obsidian items for trade and decking my land with fine glass items.

Then the dead invaded.

Turns out, they weren't undead.

They were "lightning men."  Beings made totally from lightning.

"Oh," I thought, "this is going to totally kill my fortress.  Watch them be able to stun all my units and be unable to be hit."

I must be a prophet.  That's exactly what happened.  They couldn't hit worth crap but every strike caused instant paralysis.  And every strike against them just passed right through.

The RNG decided I must die.

Time for a new fort.

Treason

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1568 on: August 28, 2016, 12:15:01 am »

Said new fort was doing just fine.

Going to retire it, anyway, and generate a new world without jotun in it.

Damned building destroying visiting giant freaks...

vonsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1569 on: August 28, 2016, 10:54:59 am »

Said new fort was doing just fine.

Going to retire it, anyway, and generate a new world without jotun in it.

Damned building destroying visiting giant freaks...

:o

I learned to be careful which races I choose.  At least if I have an objective beyond survival.  Can be fun if you're looking to survive until you don't, but not when you're doing some sort of project.

vonsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1570 on: September 02, 2016, 07:20:14 pm »

Still haven't seen any ambushes or invasions about 3 years in.  Value over 700k and pop of 84.  Have seen the occasional 'bold thieves snooping about and a couple hordes of macaques. Got bored.  Got to where I had all 12 guilds up, though not completely built out since I don't build the parts I don't think I will ever use.  Was starting on libraries (learning the 2014 book system) and had the first couple books done.  Open pit mine was churning out a lot of iron with only a couple miners working in short shifts to avoid miners' syndromes.  Militia was getting to where they would probably do fine in an early fight, but none appeared.  They did slaughter one wave of macaques with the aid of three war dogs.  I had a very basic airlock trade/gate area where the dogs live, but since I had no impetus, no firing positions, entry maze with alternate foot and wagon paths, etc.  In fact, my militia is just wrestlers at this point.  In leather armor.  I have seven pairs in constant training, including a monk, 2 warriors and 2 thieves (rangers,) and a squire.  The hamlet saw one fatality from my mistake with a mood.  I forgot as humans I can quickly acquire almost anything as long as I have coins (which I did!).  I managed to shear a pet sheep to make the wool cloth I needed, but the mood wanted silk too and... mind blank.  So thresher went insane and warrior had to put him down.

So went back to playing with world gen.  Found out the missing goblins are a product of the "starters world" template because when I switched to Garden of Gaia I suddenly had goblins again.  For some reason I had in my mind (incorrectly!) that "starters world" was Garden of Gaia.  So am now switched to GoG with evil and good zeroed out as I am not a fan of either set.  I do like natural wild animals though, and invasions and megabeasts.  Maybe this get set will be more interesting.

Back in the groove with building and remembering how to organize too.  Definitely some issues with barrels/bins/bags still.  Pretty sure these are all vanilla issues.  I see the vanilla morale system is also pretty buggy stilll.  Or unbalanced.  Finally just went to remove-stress when they edge towards depression.  There's so much noise in the status screens it's really hard to figure out why stress is zooming and the positive effects aren't offsetting it.  Again, vanilla issue.

Another one is the strawberry/strawberry plant thing.  My suggestion from a MW mod perspective would be to drop strawberries from the drink list and insert a different berry or fruit that won't have the confusion of multiple "flavors" of the same thing that aren't the same.  Prickles, fisher, etc., all the other older vanilla ones work fine.

Generally humans seem pretty playable and even solid.  A few guild buildings could use a tweak or two, but overall okay.  (My main beef remains the war kennel.) I didn't try all of them, but with the exception noted they performed to expectations.  I didn't try the advanced smithing (beyond the first one) stuff at all, so can't comment on the armor and weapon improvement processes.  I did call a trade caravan or two without issue.  Was surprised at how quickly they showed up.  Unrealistic, but I assume it greatly simplifies things technically.  I can live with it.  The guild recruitment process seems smoother than it was last version, but that may be because I know how it works now (use workshop profile to select the recruit, then queue the job... and now I can even use the 'n'ow command to prioritize it!)

Net:  Far more vanilla issues annoyed me than MW ones.  Just missing some features (religion for humans? thievery for 'bolds) from earlier version.

Anyway, about to restart again, either as orc or kobold, though I am also considering a topical embark of some sort, like an abbey devoted to creating the greatest library in the world, that only exports cheese and mead... or something.  That might call for human again, with a limited number of guilds allowed.  Or maybe dwarves.

Haven't tried either dwarves or orcs with 2014 yet, so maybe I will do a few years of each before trying a forum playthrough over in the main forum.

Okay, got a long holiday weekend... Strike the earth!

c0mplex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1571 on: September 02, 2016, 10:02:38 pm »

Started a new fort today. I thought it would be interesting to put it in a terrifying biome since the worst I've had to face so far was zombies and harmless blood rain. So I went about the situation as normal, building a moat around a good portion of land to protect myself and my dwarves from the wildlife/dead.

It started to rain blood, and while my dwarves occasionally fell into despair it was nothing new and didn't seem to hurt them I didn't pay any mind. Then I heard fighting noises and saw it was just some of the alligator men on the map, so I ignored it. Thanks to that, I got blindsided when it seemed that all of a sudden, most of my animals and dwarves just turned into ashbound zombies (or something like that). Quickly after that my dwarves started to get killed and by the time I realized what happened, I had one dwarf left and a sore jaw. It didn't take long for that to become one dwarf, and after that, no dwarves.

So that was new. I'm going to try and reclaim the site and see what the deal was with the sudden and unannounced transformation.

urmane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1572 on: September 03, 2016, 10:06:57 am »

Still haven't seen any ambushes or invasions about 3 years in.  Value over 700k and pop of 84.

This is not unusual - I frequently get to seven years before anybody shows up, thieves included.

More time to prepare for a warm welcome :-) 

vonsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1573 on: September 03, 2016, 03:33:50 pm »

Still haven't seen any ambushes or invasions about 3 years in.  Value over 700k and pop of 84.

This is not unusual - I frequently get to seven years before anybody shows up, thieves included.

More time to prepare for a warm welcome :-)

Thanks.  Seems like they used to come earlier, but it's been a while so it may be a case of aging memory.  :)

c0mplex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1574 on: September 11, 2016, 05:00:08 pm »

Founded a fort built upon a volcano full of gold and iron. So far I've been building it up fairly well. I had been able to smelt so much metal that even before my second year (granted I play on 1/8th speed) I was able to build a golem forge. Decided to make an iron golem instead of a gold one if only because as cool as it would be to defend my fortress of Goldenheaven with gold golems, I was afraid that they would be ineffective, so I decided to build an iron golem.

When the golem was completed, the game crashed. I probably should have expected that.
Pages: 1 ... 103 104 [105] 106 107 ... 113