Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 109 110 [111] 112 113

Author Topic: What's happening in your Fort.  (Read 185729 times)

There Is No Vic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's happening in your Fort.
« Reply #1650 on: November 25, 2016, 04:55:38 pm »

This diplomat has been hanging around for a while. Now he has the occasional tantrum and destroys buildings. I'm getting sick of his shenanigans

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #1651 on: November 25, 2016, 05:56:27 pm »

Come now. You can be magmanimous, I'm sure.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

There Is No Vic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1652 on: November 25, 2016, 06:35:22 pm »

Come now. You can be magmanimous, I'm sure.

Magmanimous is my new favorite word.

jimboo

• Bay Watcher
  • Bastart
    • View Profile
« Reply #1653 on: November 25, 2016, 07:19:43 pm »

I’d never lost a fortress to an invasion before but, it just happened.  Silstukos, a two-year fortress of 56 dwarves and wealth of 389K.  Invasions started in the 4th season and that’s a full year earlier than usual in Ye Olde Masterwork, the fort wasn’t ready.  There’d been plenty of thieves and visitors in the Unclaimed Wilds but we dealt with those.  The first invasion was a dozen Tigermen with some accompanying Giant Rats.  Tigermen are easy but these were level 4 in skills.  We took our casualties but made it through.  Next came some Orcs, the following season.  More Tigermen followed.  A couple of werebeasts were troublesome.  Beginning the third year, the Elves came with a caravan and 60 Tigermen came behind, this time with a dozen blood spider fiends, each larger than a dwarf.  Down to only a few trained and armored troops, the order was given to raise the Front Gate Bridge but it wasn’t given quickly enough and they were inside with us.  52 with war beasts against 7 warriors and 42 civilians.  It took less than a month for the fortress to fall.  Quick invasions!  Lvl 4 “easy” invaders still come with decent quality iron armor, good weapons and names.  Three invasions in that second year took their toll, the fourth took us out. 
Good walls make for good neighbors. -- Urist Frost
Avatar photo credit: NomeDaBoy@Worth1000.com, reposted from BoingBoing.net (great site)

Dustin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1654 on: November 26, 2016, 01:51:10 am »

I’d never lost a fortress to an invasion before but, it just happened.  Silstukos, a two-year fortress of 56 dwarves and wealth of 389K.  Invasions started in the 4th season and that’s a full year earlier than usual in Ye Olde Masterwork, the fort wasn’t ready.  There’d been plenty of thieves and visitors in the Unclaimed Wilds but we dealt with those.  The first invasion was a dozen Tigermen with some accompanying Giant Rats.  Tigermen are easy but these were level 4 in skills.  We took our casualties but made it through.  Next came some Orcs, the following season.  More Tigermen followed.  A couple of werebeasts were troublesome.  Beginning the third year, the Elves came with a caravan and 60 Tigermen came behind, this time with a dozen blood spider fiends, each larger than a dwarf.  Down to only a few trained and armored troops, the order was given to raise the Front Gate Bridge but it wasn’t given quickly enough and they were inside with us.  52 with war beasts against 7 warriors and 42 civilians.  It took less than a month for the fortress to fall.  Quick invasions!  Lvl 4 “easy” invaders still come with decent quality iron armor, good weapons and names.  Three invasions in that second year took their toll, the fourth took us out. 
i would have retired the fortress at the 2nd invasion in a year, not let it fall by the 4th XD
Should we have embarked right next to a goblin fortress?
Yes we should have, no Goblins yet *yet*
Hi. I'm Dwarf fortress, and I'm a crashaholic

Dustin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1655 on: November 26, 2016, 01:51:35 am »

and maybe have come back with an adventurer to help out
Should we have embarked right next to a goblin fortress?
Yes we should have, no Goblins yet *yet*
Hi. I'm Dwarf fortress, and I'm a crashaholic

Vozhban

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1656 on: November 26, 2016, 02:03:25 am »

Lost my fortress to a animated yak hair.
I settled my necromancer adventurer in the fortress and then reclaimed it. The first year was good, but then he found butcher's workshop. All the fortress(about 50 beards) gathered around this terrible hair zombie, unable to land a hit, each of their attacks passing right through. During next 3 months they passed out from exhaustion, one after another, only to continue the fight after they regain conciousness, eventually dying of thirst and hunger.
Well, tecnically necromancer was still "alive" and kicking. Kicking the hair non-stop. After one more month of this, I abandoned the fortress.

May be, it's worth mentioning, that the necromancer cheated himself about hundred kills. He was constantly raising a zombie, killing it, and reanimating a corpse again.

jimboo

• Bay Watcher
  • Bastart
    • View Profile
« Reply #1657 on: November 26, 2016, 10:56:13 am »

Lost my fortress to a animated yak hair.
May be, it's worth mentioning, that the necromancer cheated himself about hundred kills. He was constantly raising a zombie, killing it, and reanimating a corpse again.

Ha!  That's a good one.

In Silstukos, I should have abandoned 5th season and reclaimed.  Coming back after it fell, there are now 80 Tigermen and spider fiends waiting inside, guess they invited friends.

Next fortress, again Ye Olde Masterwork, season 4 and the Vile force coming as a dozen raptormen with steel swords and bronze breastplates.  To start.  I'm thinking the higher invader skills trigger this, usually there's more time to prepare.
Good walls make for good neighbors. -- Urist Frost
Avatar photo credit: NomeDaBoy@Worth1000.com, reposted from BoingBoing.net (great site)

urmane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1658 on: November 30, 2016, 04:24:50 pm »

Forest fire.

Can MDF allow anything to be done with ashes (as opposed to "ash")?  Seems a shame that they're all created there, with nothing to do ...

There Is No Vic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1659 on: December 05, 2016, 09:42:58 pm »

New recruit, trained at the library of warfare, wearing volcanic plate, and equipped with a runed masterwork adamantine spear gets his ass handed to him by a woolly mountain goat. Two months in the hospital it took to recover from the broken bones.

I love this game.

Dookmiester

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes ferrets for their weasel war dances.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1660 on: December 11, 2016, 10:41:43 am »

1.23 release got me like noice!

Cutebolds are doorstep neighbors to the Succubus and it seems the ladies started the attacks. All I know is now we is at war!
Saw in the Legends Viewer they have some kobold slaves. Maybe they do like them in a slave pet way?

Embarked using default settings. Had around 1,600 points to spend. Just enough for one ogre and tools.
NOT using soil only shovels option (learned my lesson) but limiting digging to ogres only.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2016, 03:09:30 pm by Dookmiester »

Amostubal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1661 on: December 11, 2016, 03:24:40 pm »

Sorry dookmeister.... topography is in the reject list for words next revision.  Testifys will be testifies also.  BTW awesome fort, I'm glad someone isn't having game issues. 

If anyone else comeshould up with funny names let me see them!
Legendary Dwarf Fortress
Legendary Discord Group
"...peering into the darkness behind the curtains, evokes visions of pixies being chased by dragons while eating cupcakes made of coral iced with liquid fire while their hearts burn out with unknown plant substances..." - a quote from the diaries of Amostubal

chaosfiend

• Bay Watcher
  • Hail the Cutebold Overlords
    • View Profile
« Reply #1662 on: December 11, 2016, 04:06:17 pm »

Love how your fort seems to be coming along Dookie! Thats a fascinating Fort layout you got too. I'm also glad someone else subscribes to the idea of having Ogres as the Diggers of a Kobold Fort I'm very similar in my mindset like I used in my short Kobold game I posted a whiles back.. Only Ogres, and Certain Immigrants are allowed to dig.

Dookmiester

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes ferrets for their weasel war dances.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1663 on: December 11, 2016, 05:29:33 pm »

Nvm fixed my problemo.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=161844.msg7292238#msg7292238

@chaosfiend Yeah I saw someone mention digging with ogres before in the forums and was like fantastic idea! Personally found bolds at their best back when thievery tunnels were around and the chance of getting a pick from the dwarves was an option. Risk it for the biscuit!

Edit4FortUpdate: Pictures of the topside mess. Ogre busy working on what'll be our trap strewn entrance and caravan depot bit south of picture. Going to prioritize the planks into the central area so we can have a roof and a door just to be safe. Also getting parts together to build a hand pump to stockpile water.

Made our first kill! They managed to mangle it so bad the butcher wouldn't even have any of it. Can picture the stickbold who was chasing behind them going, "Use your sling!" and the bold was like "Oh I gotcha!" /Wick /Wack /Guineahen Smack!
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Always feels like the caravans show up super fast! Had a bunch of crafts of wood and bone made in prep.

Work on the cellar went smoothly. The noble of course was quick to sample the water.

Godspeed you majestic birdbrain! /sniffles

Couldn't afford that bomb-a-2k-spidur but nabbed some goodies.

@Amostubal I actually find the ogre's name kind of funny the longer I think on it. Pointed him out more because of his personality. Topography makes me think map and how it totally lied. Also he is a miner and works the earth. Testifys misspelling works because I always fail to spell propers and thinking of an ogre taking the dirt to court makes me chuckle.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2016, 03:10:23 pm by Dookmiester »

Amostubal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1664 on: December 12, 2016, 11:20:50 am »

My first artifact.... now if I only new what it does...

Ummm.... not sure, never seen test as an object... I love the name Faintsuffusion ... although I'm afraid suffusion is a word on the next out list... 

apparently its an armor....

and apparently it covers the upper body.

and I've just found my favorite wood burner name ever...

really an interesting piece.

« Last Edit: December 12, 2016, 01:15:59 pm by Amostubal »
Legendary Dwarf Fortress
Legendary Discord Group
"...peering into the darkness behind the curtains, evokes visions of pixies being chased by dragons while eating cupcakes made of coral iced with liquid fire while their hearts burn out with unknown plant substances..." - a quote from the diaries of Amostubal
Pages: 1 ... 109 110 [111] 112 113