Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 110 111 [112] 113

Author Topic: What's happening in your Fort.  (Read 185517 times)

Amostubal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's happening in your Fort.
« Reply #1665 on: December 12, 2016, 01:30:50 pm »

@Dookmiester, I'm glad your enjoying it,  I've been running through games just to see the names that are produced.  I'm enjoying the project, and I really like coming across some of the strange ones.  The out list is mostly targets that don't fit the games time frame (in otherwords modern sciences, tech, etc that doesn't fit the period), really I'm probably going to cut it by 30% to 50% in the end or the really good words wont float to the top.  Spellings probably wont be fixed for the next edition or 2,  I'm correcting the ones I spot while editing down the file, but I'm not focusing on it,v the main focus is to spot the bad words and reduce the file size.
Legendary Dwarf Fortress
Legendary Discord Group
"...peering into the darkness behind the curtains, evokes visions of pixies being chased by dragons while eating cupcakes made of coral iced with liquid fire while their hearts burn out with unknown plant substances..." - a quote from the diaries of Amostubal

Dookmiester

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes ferrets for their weasel war dances.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1666 on: December 13, 2016, 12:41:37 am »

Nearly faced dehydrated again thanks to screw-you-pump not working and having to be reassembled.

11 migrants joined us and I put their noses to the grindstone.
Milking the sneks. Coating blowdarts. 2 full time mechanics building and setting up traps. 3 Wood Splitting Blocks set to work nonstop.
Got one eel bold fishing happily next to the water intake!

Due to my absent mindedness I forgot to check the caravans for leather. Bought animals but not leather. /sigh
Decided to have my two military dudes risk it for the brisket.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
No one got hurt thankfully. Boars didn't enrage and instead split off in 4 different directions during the assault. One ran straight into camp and set everyone off. Poor swine got overwhelmed. Even our leading lady the Rat Queen got a few hacks with her hatchet in. BACON TIME!

Very first masterpiece! Oh um.. wait a minute.

Silk. I bet that was what he wanted. Too bad I don't got none. Not sure how to make a spider farm and my internet went on the fritz for 10+ hours.

Oh god here we go again.

Second caravan arrived to this creepy pasta.

Succubus have been busy since last caravan. On our 3rd caravan now.

For peat's sake. Was entire trading session down the drain.

(Got besieged by flying sea rats/gulls.)

In other news our legendary bone carver totally earned that. Her shell crafts are what is making us bank.

Bone shrine best shrine! (Simple bones option would be dandy btw my ocd hurts.:-\)

Sorry Lion-O but I don't trust you to leave my bolds alone when they go out to fetch wood for the wood fort.

Lions got their revenge on the second go.

It begins. (May actually take a break/move on to try another fort setup. Getting burned out. Lack of anvils being craftable. Actually looked into the reactions. Quickly figured out how to add a 3 bonemold bar recipe to craft an anvil.)

Lastest view of Ratnest.
Surface

Below ground Levels 1 → 5

Stats
« Last Edit: December 15, 2016, 07:57:17 pm by Dookmiester »

gabix

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1667 on: December 16, 2016, 09:34:55 pm »

Just wanted to show my nice rock salt tomb, created by the humans of Skirtrise

ups, just saw that the hatch cover on top is useless, they can get in through the stairs in the level below... I should just destroy those stairs... hmmm
« Last Edit: December 16, 2016, 09:40:40 pm by gabix »

Srip121

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1668 on: December 19, 2016, 08:05:52 pm »

That's really cool!

Amostubal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1669 on: December 21, 2016, 08:31:51 pm »

and here's the coolest mechanic I have ever had....
Legendary Dwarf Fortress
Legendary Discord Group
"...peering into the darkness behind the curtains, evokes visions of pixies being chased by dragons while eating cupcakes made of coral iced with liquid fire while their hearts burn out with unknown plant substances..." - a quote from the diaries of Amostubal

jimboo

• Bay Watcher
  • Bastart
    • View Profile
« Reply #1670 on: December 23, 2016, 12:29:18 pm »

War Elephant invaders ignored the courtyard walls by jumping down from a mountainside without ramps.  That was unexpected --
Good walls make for good neighbors. -- Urist Frost
Avatar photo credit: NomeDaBoy@Worth1000.com, reposted from BoingBoing.net (great site)

rosareven

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1671 on: January 09, 2017, 06:16:33 am »

I underestimated my steel-equipped squad, who just promptly crushed a siege of undead elves without a single scratch. And this is my first successful squad ever. Well done my great dwarves, I'm so proud of you all.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1672 on: January 14, 2017, 02:09:25 pm »

I underestimated my steel-equipped squad, who just promptly crushed a siege of undead elves without a single scratch. And this is my first successful squad ever. Well done my great dwarves, I'm so proud of you all.

That means they are ready to fight web-empowered monsters go get em champ
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Amostubal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1673 on: January 28, 2017, 07:05:34 pm »

I think they come just to drop their anchor babies and stay forever...
Legendary Dwarf Fortress
Legendary Discord Group

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1674 on: February 21, 2017, 11:33:01 pm »

Spoiler: I did it! (click to show/hide)

If you're wondering why that's important, then let me tell you a story. For a long time, boulder crabs were bugged. They weren't capable of reproducing. Every time the female layed eggs, she would lay boulders instead that would never hatch.

3 years ago I created a bugfix that would make it so the males would lay those non-hatching boulders while the females would lay normal eggs. Meph was impressed with my work and integrated it with the mod. But there was a problem...

You see, I didn't test it properly and what ended up happening was that the females did lay proper eggs, but they would never hatch. Eventually players complained and I assume Meph removed my fix. I'm not sure, I might not be remembering this properly.

Anyway, I made a new fix and as seen in the screenshot above it works wonderfully. Turns out, the problem was that the egg size was too large and since the length of incubation is directly proportional to the size of the egg, it just took an unreasonable amount of time to hatch. I managed to reduce it from 36 to 8, and now the eggs hatch in a single season (this could probably be made to be a little longer tbh).

Anyway, if you guys try the above bugfix and find that it works, maybe post about it. That way, Meph might implement this into his next update.

EDIT: I've changed egg size from 4 to 14 so you don't have to manually do it yourselves anymore
« Last Edit: February 27, 2017, 03:42:07 pm by heydude6 »
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Amostubal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1675 on: February 22, 2017, 08:55:21 am »

interesting I just thought the dang things dropped rocks more often than eggs....  poor things sitting on rocks, thinking they was eggs.
Legendary Dwarf Fortress
Legendary Discord Group

rosareven

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1676 on: February 23, 2017, 05:13:18 am »

Thank you heydude6. You're doing Armok's work. I'll try it in my next session.

Amostubal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1677 on: February 23, 2017, 07:59:47 am »

I think genies need a similar fix... so we can get baby genies...
Legendary Dwarf Fortress
Legendary Discord Group

Dunkelzahn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1678 on: March 25, 2017, 12:48:46 am »

Okay, while not dwarves persay, they are humans. Everything is good so far, got a small farm going, a log cabin for everyone to hide inside, and a bunch of workshops.

Got a mine going down for stone so I can build magma forges (right next to a volcano). Not making anything to complex, just a simple mine shaft.

Oh hey a awakened andesite!... What the fuck do I do with it?

Oh god now there's a wyrm.

c0mplex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1679 on: March 25, 2017, 03:35:00 am »

Started a fort with a good supply of iron, close proximity to a safe river, and even started in an easily defendable spot. The only problem with the fort is that for some reason, "something" keeps collapsing on the surface rather close to my starting position. So every ten-twenty minutes or so, there is a collapse on the surface that kicks up a lot of dust. It actually killed my starting miners like five minutes into the game when I was trying to carve up the surrounding area to prevent giant animals and the like from just wandering into my outpost.

Something similar is occurring deep underground as well, so I get a collapse alert several times an hour, but at least the underground ones are deep enough to not be a deadly threat to my dwarves. All I can say is that this location is cursed so I plan to wall off the area sometime.

Also after getting my second major migration wave, I recruited two dwarves into my militia to join my lonely starting soldier. For some reason, one of these new recruits was nowhere near the fortress, and got into a fight with an allosaurus. With no weapon, armor, or much training, she got thrashed. To my surprise, though, she kept fighting, even after the allosaurus left her alone. By the time the other militia dwarves arrived to help, she was exhausted and feebly pushing on the allosaurus that somehow hadn't killed her yet. So, chances are she'll be fine so long as the doctor doesn't kill her.
Pages: 1 ... 110 111 [112] 113