Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 111 112 [113]

Author Topic: What's happening in your Fort.  (Read 184300 times)

Amostubal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's happening in your Fort.
« Reply #1680 on: March 25, 2017, 08:49:17 am »

Started a fort with a good supply of iron, close proximity to a safe river, and even started in an easily defendable spot. The only problem with the fort is that for some reason, "something" keeps collapsing on the surface rather close to my starting position. So every ten-twenty minutes or so, there is a collapse on the surface that kicks up a lot of dust. It actually killed my starting miners like five minutes into the game when I was trying to carve up the surrounding area to prevent giant animals and the like from just wandering into my outpost.

Something similar is occurring deep underground as well, so I get a collapse alert several times an hour, but at least the underground ones are deep enough to not be a deadly threat to my dwarves. All I can say is that this location is cursed so I plan to wall off the area sometime.

Also after getting my second major migration wave, I recruited two dwarves into my militia to join my lonely starting soldier. For some reason, one of these new recruits was nowhere near the fortress, and got into a fight with an allosaurus. With no weapon, armor, or much training, she got thrashed. To my surprise, though, she kept fighting, even after the allosaurus left her alone. By the time the other militia dwarves arrived to help, she was exhausted and feebly pushing on the allosaurus that somehow hadn't killed her yet. So, chances are she'll be fine so long as the doctor doesn't kill her.
sounds like you have invalid ramps have you tried to type in DFHack console "deramp" I think it is might be something else... you can't always see them, but occasionally during word gen or because of a forest fire or massive cave ins a ramp is left in the air.  those ramps can come crashing down randomly, and generally don't disappear but remain after the cave in they cause.  see if that solves that issue.   you can't solve it in the game.
Legendary Dwarf Fortress
Legendary Discord Group
"...peering into the darkness behind the curtains, evokes visions of pixies being chased by dragons while eating cupcakes made of coral iced with liquid fire while their hearts burn out with unknown plant substances..." - a quote from the diaries of Amostubal

urmane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1681 on: April 03, 2017, 03:42:12 pm »

A Pyre Saurian has gotten into the pools in my cavern - not only does it threaten my only water source, but it's generating tons of steam and killing my FPS  :o

sum1won

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1682 on: April 04, 2017, 09:00:28 am »

After a ton of issues working through bugs, and a trial run to reacquaint myself with the commands, I started a fort.  Struggled a little with local critters (managed to find a site with untamed wilds and not-terrifying evil touching).  Lost a few  more in various accidents as warpstone, awakened wryms, a forgotten beast, and a foolish aquifer pierce took their toll.

But more recently, I just came across a gruesome sight - one of my dwarves is mostly dismembered in the bottom of a mineshaft.  What should I start looking at?

LMeire

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Troglodytes for their horradorability.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1683 on: April 04, 2017, 06:47:26 pm »

After a ton of issues working through bugs, and a trial run to reacquaint myself with the commands, I started a fort.  Struggled a little with local critters (managed to find a site with untamed wilds and not-terrifying evil touching).  Lost a few  more in various accidents as warpstone, awakened wryms, a forgotten beast, and a foolish aquifer pierce took their toll.

But more recently, I just came across a gruesome sight - one of my dwarves is mostly dismembered in the bottom of a mineshaft.  What should I start looking at?

Was it in a staircase? I've had haulers fall asleep on those and basically explode because there weren't enough beds and they apparently fell down the stairs. I think it has something to do with the newish climbing mechanics.
"☼Perfection☼ in the job puts pleasure in the work." - Uristotle

Altaree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1684 on: April 24, 2017, 02:21:01 pm »

Was it in a staircase? I've had haulers fall asleep on those and basically explode because there weren't enough beds and they apparently fell down the stairs. I think it has something to do with the newish climbing mechanics.
Staircases are evil.. I prefer a circular three wide ramp column going from the surface to the third cave.  Some where along the way I put a bathtub/drawbridge and build my main fort. 
Dan Pearson:
This is a game which calculates the volume of blood in every creature it generates so it knows how much alcohol it would have to consume to get drunk, an update which, remarkably, ended up covering people's fortresses in cat vomit.

Altaree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1685 on: April 24, 2017, 02:25:28 pm »

I got my first were-creature announcement.  It was a were-chameleon.  Mild panic ensues because I just got back into DF after a couple of years and hadn't dealt with were-creatures before.  My militia is one squad of 3 citizens and 5 mercenaries.  Then I find that the announcement was triggered by the thing being caught in a cage trap right outside my gates.  I will now be installing some turkey poults/puppies in watchtowers for a bit more advanced warning.
Dan Pearson:
This is a game which calculates the volume of blood in every creature it generates so it knows how much alcohol it would have to consume to get drunk, an update which, remarkably, ended up covering people's fortresses in cat vomit.

HiddenMaster

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1686 on: May 09, 2017, 04:03:13 pm »

Well, this doesn't exactly go within a fortress, but is related to world gen.

I was messing around with the blessed Serra preset that comes with masterwork, and I read the manual's description of it as a good starting world for new users.

Well, i decided to up the titan, megabeasts, and semi-megabeast count to 999 each, and enabled every civilization and invaders.

Freaking war elephants. That it. Those are the only survivors on the mainland after a century.-there's some random beakwovles on a nearby island, and that's it.

LMeire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1687 on: May 14, 2017, 02:52:03 am »

My human civ has access to elephants, so I splurged a bit (nobody needs that many seeds anyway) and brought along 3.

Upon arriving at the 5x5 embark, I checked the "others" unit screen and to my immediate horror there was two giant alligators, 7 giant hippos, 5 giant "sulfur saurians" (I could have sworn I turned off procedural creatures), and 3 sponge men among other less-fortress-ending animals.

The river stretches around the outer edge of the map with a 3x3 flat area in the middle that I picked for a natural moat, so I was only half resigned for immediate doom when I got messages that both the sulfur saurians and the hippos were enraged. They killed eachother and now I have ~1600 extra units of giant hippo stew.

Also the sponge men haven't moved once in 2 years and they haven't spooked any fishermen either. I've been internally reffering to them as the 3 Spoonges.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2017, 02:54:26 am by LMeire »

LMeire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1688 on: May 23, 2017, 12:29:04 am »

Amostubal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1689 on: May 23, 2017, 03:57:16 am »

lol... what is broken now?
Legendary Dwarf Fortress
Legendary Discord Group
"...peering into the darkness behind the curtains, evokes visions of pixies being chased by dragons while eating cupcakes made of coral iced with liquid fire while their hearts burn out with unknown plant substances..." - a quote from the diaries of Amostubal

LMeire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1690 on: May 23, 2017, 06:20:12 am »

lol... what is broken now?

Nothing as far as I can tell, the humans "domesticated" gray cyclopes and their "pets" have better social skills than them apparently by default. Basically just a tigerman mayor that I embarked with.

Amostubal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1691 on: May 23, 2017, 07:27:19 pm »

AHhhhh... ZM5.... lol
I think sulfur saurians come from ZM5s mod too... but I don't have the ability to go look it up right now.... lol... if it becomes too much of a game breaker I can edit them out.

Legendary Dwarf Fortress
Legendary Discord Group

Tarzanello

• Bay Watcher
  • So it goes
    • View Profile
« Reply #1692 on: June 28, 2017, 08:25:19 pm »

Got invaded for the first time, Ferric Elves AND White Tigermen at the same time, the cowardly scoundrels actually ganged up on me. I had a good military going and repelled them, too bad 2 of my Legendary fighters got oneshotted by the War Basilisk stoning gaze. Any idea how to prevent that? It looks pretty OP, but there is usually a weird trick to this kind of stuff. Shield doesn't work and I lack imagination, care to help?
Keep in mind, I am not a smart man.

ninjajack2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1693 on: June 28, 2017, 09:21:45 pm »

Current Human fort

Things are good, plenty of people though the same cannot be said about jobs... only 40 so far but for right now im kinda, how to say it? not really intending to be massive build as I have. its kinda funny, most of the real threats ive faced have been the talabuks? (something like a primeval deer thing from zms im thinking) though those have now become quite the endearing food and leather source. My drakes are starting to seriously worry me with their breeding habits... started with two and now close to about 18-20 since posting my last thread about em. Currently working on a large open courtyard of merchant stalls,wshops and two guildhalls. Hematite, Gypsum are plenty and so far all has been peaceful. To say the least though, I am seriously thinking of creating an army using the newest migrant wave of 17. Halberds support with bows for wall defense while I await for the gold income from my weapon selling to grant me access to caravans while having completed my Tavern/Inn for anyone who wishes to come into the kingdom and dine on fresh pancakes, stews and roasts made from our fine fisheries and cooks.

Treason

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1694 on: July 13, 2017, 06:16:09 pm »

Got invaded for the first time, Ferric Elves AND White Tigermen at the same time, the cowardly scoundrels actually ganged up on me. I had a good military going and repelled them, too bad 2 of my Legendary fighters got oneshotted by the War Basilisk stoning gaze. Any idea how to prevent that? It looks pretty OP, but there is usually a weird trick to this kind of stuff. Shield doesn't work and I lack imagination, care to help?

Apply the wisdom of Dwarfs:  Kill it with lava.  If it still moves, it needs more lava.
Pages: 1 ... 111 112 [113]