Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 113

Author Topic: What's happening in your Fort.  (Read 185706 times)

urmane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's happening in your Fort.
« Reply #30 on: July 01, 2013, 08:53:28 am »

Still running my linux 3a3 fort, tho fps is down to about 20.  I have just decided to keep going - it was touch and go for a while, as I think I stymied a dwarven liaison, didn't see immigrants for years.  Too busy fighting off invaders.

Fortunately, I have convinced myself that the Embassy has worked - I changed to minting coins, and running "invite immigrants" and "invite dwarven caravan", and finally got a caravan, and next season some immigrants.  Hooray, more cannon fodd^H^H^H^H^H High Master Herbalists!

A lot of potential here.  Notables:
- Trapped Balrog - he showed up in like the second year.  Fortunately I had a megabeast trap, now looking for something interesting for him.
- Olympus underway - stairs to the top Z, floor over one level with marble blocks, same thing one level down, outfit it in glass and gold, put the leader's throne room there
- Chasm underway - channeling out a 30-tile-wide chasm from map edge to map edge, one level at a time.  (Yes, of course there's a Durin's Bridge across it ;) )
- 40z waterfall into major river - eventual plan is to pane it all in windows
- Holding off on waterwheels - I keep getting burned by flyers, especially flying megabeasts, who path in where the axles breach the walls :(
- Trying to figure out how magma steam engines work in the meantime (do I need magmabottles?  Or magma AND water underneath?  Maybe I can build it over the Balrog :) )

BTW, love the reactions to destroy excess junk, like vermin remains (although I think the Crematorium is actually wounding the operator - after running it a while, I start getting spam about cancelled job due to Too Injured ... )

Repseki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 02, 2013, 09:30:50 am »

"Ingish Lirezuntir .Archer cancels Hunt: To Injured"

quick combat report check...

"The Drake Latches on firmly!"
"The Drake shakes the .Archer around by the head and the severed part sails off in an arc!"
"The Head is ripped away and remains in the Drake's grip!"

To injured you say... I wonder why.

Both of my Hunters dead within 2 minutes of each other because of 4 Drakes that showed up. One even got a name after dropping the first one, but we got him. One of my military used the lower half of his right arm as bait so he could kill him. Then another got stabbed in the thigh by a kobold before beheading the little bugger. Good thing I started with a doctor.

ElenaRoan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 02, 2013, 10:10:41 pm »

'Ok, got the blueprints from the gnomes, carve out area for the workshops and magma channel...done, now just to fill with...URIST McMOTHER come retrieve your baby from the magma channel!'
Someone, get the bug zapper! What do you mean that won't work on a bug the size of a house which glows? No, I don't want to hear it. Just get the damn zapper.

Repseki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 03, 2013, 07:14:12 am »

Just had a Deity arrive during a Warlock siege.

Cish Threteloce, "The Giant is as tall as the mountains it was named for, with legs the size of large trees and armos resembling slightly smaller ones. It's sunken eyes, though showing little intelligence, reveal unrestrained hostility towards anything that may be considered food, no matter the size!"

Was nice to have them deal with the warlocks, even if it didn't actually land a single hit due to being spammed by the warlock pain spell while they beat it to death with their staves before running away bleeding (from their own spells I assume).

I then let the dwarven caravan out thinking they could deal with the last remaining warlock, who of course started a fire as they cut him in two, then burning two of the caravan wagons before they could get off the map. But I guess it's better than having another one of my military lose any limbs. I already have three on teacher duty, one having lose half an arm, another the motor nerve to a leg, and the last a foot, and half of the other leg shortly there after...

urmane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 03, 2013, 01:35:04 pm »

Cavern collapse in progress.

I decided to make a chasm.  My embark is 5x5 (yes, 5x5 - I wanted both waterfalls and the gold ore!).  I dug out a cavern 30 by all-the-way-across-the-map, and another 10 Z down (just above the first cavern layer), then channeled out the solid block in between.

It's still spinning.  I saw it jump to ~400FPS, then down to zero, and about a billion "cloud of dust" and "cloud of magma" messages (magma?  there's no magma near there ... ?).  If it doesn't crash, I'll send a screenshot :)

Z1000000m

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 05, 2013, 05:50:33 pm »

RNG has done it again

Where to even begin..
Spikes of wood?
Picture of a dwarf playing with cocks?
Picture of an artifact bed?

RNG, you need to go out more mate.

Shadow Creator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 07, 2013, 06:14:50 pm »

I am currently working on an large orc city project. Most of the buildings are circular with wood walls between obsidian pillars all topped with red slanted rooftops. Depending on the purpose of the building some get chimneys with grates. Every season something is sieging or ambushing my palisades, I have an open door policy, and we have held no problem thus far with only a few warriors ever alive at any given time. Sometimes my new Warchief Uruk will slay entire sieges on his own though with skill level of around only 5 in appropriate skills during the first couple attacks. The current ambush I am dealing with might overthrow my city! I am not sure why this is happening but a parliament of war owls flew over my walls as my lumberjacks got jumped by a group of spiders, giant bats, giant rats, and armor clad horses which are apparently led by a war tiger. Oh the horror...

The animals are rising up against me for clearcutting a heavily forested 5x5 embark in order to build the city I guess.
☼MASTERWORK☼ Dwarf Fortress - V.3 -
 - A comprehensive mod pack with 25% higher FPS -
Download @ DFFD ::: WIN ::: MAC ::: LINUX

Repseki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 08, 2013, 03:51:49 am »

Jeesh, did the squirrels unionize or something? The only time I see War Tigers is when the Gnomes attack, personally.

Z1000000m

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 09, 2013, 09:11:27 am »

Got a visit from a warlock deity. Quite a badass at that, it was probably a modded creature, but it wouldnt say. 4 sets of arms, wings and a bodypart steel scythe. Too bad he high tailed out as soon as the first broadheadbolts started flying.

Build a bridge on the map edge in the caverns to control the influx of dwellers. Build it facing the wrong way. Again.

Had to scum after a gnome siege killed of all my legendary troops. The cause? A dragon raptor figured out the meta and grabbed an iron bullet to punch right through 1) irongrade cloak 2) * and up steel helm 3)skin 4)skull 5) outer brain 6)brain all in one go. Apparently biting, kicking and grabbing all either give huge penalties or downright disallow any kinds of saves.

Beholders are the new spirits of fire. Despair thee whom stumbles across a fire breather. In a jungle that is a cavern. Can't even revive with all the turning into ash business.

Nymphs and other associated thieving creatures are not considered hostile by your dwarves, who ,even if military, will gladly ignore them unless the bump into them or get a specific order. What does that gnoll want to do with a tome of death I dont even want to know.

I wish i could tell my dwarves to equip broadhead bolts in meele. Shins and asses everywhere.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2013, 09:13:09 am by Z1000000m »

Repseki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 09, 2013, 08:24:08 pm »

Lost 4 dwarves and a child to a series of ambushes over the last few seasons. No one super important, but still annoying. I then lost yet another whom I can only assume was extremely clumsy, as he bled to death after tripping so hard he sent several broken ribs through his heart before skidding along the ground for about 10 tiles. It was either clumsiness, or one of the military dwarves in the area got thrown into him as he walked by, the combat logs didn't give enough info to be sure.

ElenaRoan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 09, 2013, 11:46:43 pm »

"Large Rat has given birth to large rat pups." Uh...was sure I hadn't trained any of them since I'd decided to use them as spider bait in my silk farms.  I checked and it was one of the rats in a cage that had given birth...um...I guess I have a breeding population of spider baits now...
Someone, get the bug zapper! What do you mean that won't work on a bug the size of a house which glows? No, I don't want to hear it. Just get the damn zapper.

Crioca

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 11, 2013, 05:04:27 am »

Found a really easy embark; silver, iron and titanite out the wazoo, so plenty of mithril. Gabbro and marble a plenty as well.

This is the first time I've ever actually tried to create a stable fort. I want to make fortress that's truly opulent.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 11, 2013, 11:55:54 pm »

Building an orc no-dig fort. In the middle of badlands. THE EMBARK SCREEN SAID THERE WOULD BE WOOD. LIES. Trying to build it all out of clay and bone, since those are my only materials.  :'(

fire1666

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 12, 2013, 03:42:16 am »

Attempting to build a fortress using only glass...
this si gona be !!!FUN!!!

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 13, 2013, 05:58:48 am »

Got an artifact slag maul. Good or bad in the hands of an Olog?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 113