Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 113

Author Topic: What's happening in your Fort.  (Read 185863 times)

Z1000000m

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's happening in your Fort.
« Reply #45 on: July 13, 2013, 07:14:13 am »

Attempting to build a fortress using only glass...
this si gona be !!!FUN!!!

Keep in mind that that for whatever reason, some items can only be made using the glass furnace, some with the glass forge. This means, that you can't use those crystal tree crystals for blocks. If you had that in mind, just hit up raws and change a useless reaction to produce 4 blocks instead, but mind that if you do not change the material, those will not count as crystal glass blocks, but just "blocks" when dealing in stockpiles.

urmane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 15, 2013, 08:29:38 am »

"Lie Laborghost Gem Cutter has created Lie Laborghost a aquamarine brazier!"

My, we are egotistical, aren't we?

Sound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 15, 2013, 06:00:25 pm »

Being away from my main computer for the summer, i have resorted to playing MWDF with a slow-ass portable piece of junk, with a FPS range of mostly single digit. I have to have fastdwarf enabled at all times to make it playable. It's quite ironic, but with fastdwarf enabled, the dwarves move about as fast as DF at normal speed. Caravans and harvests (with harder farming), however, are hours apart. My fortress instead relies on fishing, which fastdwarf makes insanely OP. I had to tell my two dedicated fisherdwarves to stop when fish stocks exceeded 4000, for a population of 27.

Currently, i am training my weapon- and armorsmith on the copious amounts of copper my 5 legendary miners have dug up, while i try to scrounge up enough mithril and steel to start production of volcanic weapons and armor. Not much iron, and nearly no mithril on the map. The peon militia is up and running, armed with masterwork leftovers of smithing training, now 20 dwarves strong. I accidentaly lost my last two marksdwarves, one legendary, to a careless attack at a couple of forest spiders. I forgot that webbing agains unarmored dwarves is very fun indeed.

I have had lousy luck with artifacts, however. My original migrant weaponsmith went mad, and the others have only produced bracelets of different materials, but due to an extensive clay-industry, stone- and woodcrafting is not really useful.

Due to a very shallow world, i have decided to build my fort aboveground, as a mighty fortress on the bank of a major river, and mine out the rest. Two thousand blocks currently makes up the walls of the half-finished fortress, the floors are made up of rough clay, for practical reasons.

Little enemy activity at the moment, only a couple of frost giant snatchers, dispatched by caravan guards, due to my quite riddicolous fortress wealth of a million and a half by the second spring.

This is shaping up to be a fun ride, considering fastdwarf doesn't increase training effect... When sieges decide to show up, my military will probably still be half-baked greenies, even if they are clad in masterwork volcanic, armed with volcanic, orichalicum and welded wolfram, behind the copious amounts of serrated green glass discs that make up the first line of the defence of Roadhusteled.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2013, 06:04:20 pm by Sound »

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 16, 2013, 05:35:27 am »

Currently building a kobold 'camp', which has evolved from me using a bug to build Ice Sculptors right off the bat and using the glacier's ice to build my walls to me being halfway through building a massive ice pyramid, where the inverse of the pyramid goes downwards. When it is finished and my kobolds move inside, it will be awesome.

EDIT: Damnit, the ice only extends down four z-levels, then stone. Rats.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2013, 05:38:34 am by Gamerlord »

Parhelion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 16, 2013, 02:57:54 pm »

Reformatted my work PC and reinstalled DF+Masterwork.  I just created a new fort, and was taking a look at my poor, dirty, tired dwarves and their packbeasts, when suddenly I got combat alerts involving one of my drakes.  I rush to ensure she wasn't injured and saw this instead:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

This drake exerted her dominance over any hapless creature that wandered anywhere near my wagon.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2013, 02:59:50 pm by Parhelion »

Repseki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 17, 2013, 09:29:02 am »

Well, before the game crashed (Still not sure if that's a bad thing), I had just lost my entire militia trying to save the Dwarf caravan that got hit by two Goblin ambushes, stupidly thinking they would do at least ok.

So now I get to play a few seasons of deja vu to set things up again, while maybe working on the underground Depot a little sooner.

The_Falconer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 22, 2013, 12:45:03 am »

Was about to give up on my fortress for lack of metal with silver being the only kind I found.  I'm glad I didn't though because this fortress is swimming in metal.  Found a MASSIVE vein of gold that is enough to buy a couple of caravans but haven't been able to use it because every damn time there's a caravan, an ambush follows before they can get in the fortress.  And after my steel-clad military was killed by 5 goblin elite archers with iron broad heads I edited the RAWs into the broken arrow mod which I am enjoying so far.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 22, 2013, 09:05:00 pm »

I'm reinventing the above ground fort. I'm trying to make them as space efficient as possible, entirely self-sufficient, and capable of having a working economy. My current test parameters are a 2x2 embark with a 41x41 fortress. I have to keep my dwarves full, drunk, clothed, and armored without taking anything from traders and I have to offer the mountainhomes 10,000 db per year. It feels pretty cool using burned garbage and ground up clay to make awesome glass crafts. I don't do much metal working but I did buff the "Grind Stone" reaction to give a 5% chance of dropping iron, copper, silver, gold, cassiterite, and zinc ores as well as to take clay again(also removed the block products, they just sort of clutter the stockpiles).

Repseki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 23, 2013, 08:09:51 am »

Finally get around to digging down to the magma to fill up some magmabottles and get my Magma forge running, realize I have a minor error with the alignment of a few cave-in floors but easily fix them. Pull the lever, supports go poof, liquid spawner's go splat, everything appears perfect. Then I see smoke near one of the magma holes... I check the lever (up 1 z), since the game is still paused, and realize my minor error opened up the floor next to it and a distinct lack of the dwarf that pulled it. Could have been worse, he wasn't a very good furnace operator anyways.

The up side is his corpse is of Masterpiece quality, so I guess he actually made something nice.

alhadrianes

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 24, 2013, 01:19:03 pm »

@Broseph Stalin kinda did the same but , I also wanted to have some dwarven elements so some parts of the fortress are underground like the dungeon and prison YEAR 200-223 :(I used the "clean all function before this because theres a plague going trough my fortress and every1 is vomiting blood")
Bright Red: Bedrooms going 5 levels , 3*4*5= 60 rooms which is barely half of what my dwarfs need so i need to go higher
Dark Red: past farm area (now only trees grow there) and the brook passing trough beneath my walls.
Yellow:Dining Hall
Orange: Hospital
Purple:Leser Noble 4 levels building ,at these level we can see a dining and office room.
Teal: Library
Blue: Training quarters , 4 levels high (6 squads)
Green: Control Room
AND on the -> we have a quarry which goes till it reaches the first cavern.
//////
Yellow:Just some kind of tavern soon to be more dining place I think
Beneath yellow you can see the guard's bedroom.
Green: High noble rooms with silver stuff.
Blue: A tower reaching several Z levels high
THE white level apartment is there because , that was built in the wood crisis of year 213
/////
Yellow:Food storage room linked to Red: Kitchen
Teal: Leser noble bedrooms.
/////
Here are pics of the underground :
pf , f- them colors , Orange is the arena , the red is the naked vamp bookeper confinement room , and the next red is the prison.
here you can see the dungeon one z level then the one beneath it .
/////
And for the topic , i'm preparing to breach hell but taking masive precautions before breaching :
. If they manage to breach my 30 elite spear dwarf with plate steel (plate adaman for leaders) and 20 musket dwarfs ill atom smash the f out of them AND if they somehow escape that the gurdians squad patroling above ground will be the last hope for this town. Call me cheater if you want , i'm not loosing this town !
Hope I hear from you again @Broseph Stalin, I'm really interested how yours will come to be.

crazyjake56

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 24, 2013, 04:36:20 pm »

I accidently got the very edge of an evil region. Turns out some leprechauns (zombie leprechauns) decided to come to my fort.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2013, 04:58:32 pm by crazyjake56 »

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 24, 2013, 05:00:42 pm »

One of my forts was on a nice embark. It got a bounty of wood and metals, sand, a volcano, and the lack of those pests. But alas, this one has a hefty price tag to it that is my bane: FPS problems

But wait, how can it be this bad when I just embarked! I did some checking for the usual suspects until I ran into a obscene high number from a unusual source.

I'm more than likely to spend yet another hour generating worlds again if moving slightly don't solve it. It would've been truly perfect if it wasn't for the fps slow down.

alhadrianes

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 25, 2013, 07:39:24 am »

reveal and screen shot them plx ! I must see that ! :'(

ElenaRoan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 25, 2013, 08:13:39 am »

"a section of the cavern has collapsed!"

...I swear dwarves are the only folk who can cause a cave in channeling down into solid rock.
Someone, get the bug zapper! What do you mean that won't work on a bug the size of a house which glows? No, I don't want to hear it. Just get the damn zapper.

Repseki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 25, 2013, 09:17:32 am »

I think most people use reveal and a little dfhack to clear the undead out and get some FPS stability without losing future FUN in the depths.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 113