Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61 62 ... 113

Author Topic: What's happening in your Fort.  (Read 185670 times)

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
Re: What's happening in your Fort.
« Reply #885 on: April 20, 2014, 08:28:50 pm »

EDIT: And now one of my kobolds passed out from over-exertion during training. The other kobold is poking him in the head with his pointy mithral stick repeatedly[But non-lethally]. Never had that hapen before

Sounds like legit kobold-training: only attack poke enemies already on the ground and unconcious.
Reminds me of the time those dwarves attempting to siege my Warlock fortress got locked out, and decided to fight a single enemy in the wildlife for nearly a year, miraculously glancing and missing every blow, never truly doing enough damage to kill it. Finally they got lucky, and then promptly went home.
I wish the dwarven siege harassing MY kobolds would attack the wildlife. They're just chilling out near the border. They're actually right next to a band of gnolls. One of gnolls is actually lying down underneath a dwarf on the same tile. No hostilities. Just sort of relaxing.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

LMeire

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Troglodytes for their horradorability.
    • View Profile
« Reply #886 on: April 20, 2014, 11:35:41 pm »

Today's agenda: Building a menacing tower out of ethereal blocks with gem columns for decoration, and maybe trying to conquer that forgotten beast that occasionally shows up in the first cave layer. For that I need to get my ghouls to actually equip what I tell them to, which seems to exclude everything I actually want them to equip.

The only weapon skill Ghouls can use is lashing, warlocks use scythes/staves, and skeletons use everything else. You're equipping them accordingly, right?
"☼Perfection☼ in the job puts pleasure in the work." - Uristotle

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #887 on: April 21, 2014, 12:38:58 am »

Shut the drawbridge on a MASSIVE caravan supply train. They flew in the air and all of their wares flew up in the air and they came down and their wares came down on top of them.
The traders are trapped in the trade depot with a plague stricken merchant. A couple of them are laying wounded outside perforated, hacked up, and bludgeoned by their own treasures. One of their Tuskoxs is trapped on the roof.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2014, 12:41:30 am by Broseph Stalin »

Traece

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #888 on: April 21, 2014, 12:44:02 am »

Today's agenda: Building a menacing tower out of ethereal blocks with gem columns for decoration, and maybe trying to conquer that forgotten beast that occasionally shows up in the first cave layer. For that I need to get my ghouls to actually equip what I tell them to, which seems to exclude everything I actually want them to equip.

The only weapon skill Ghouls can use is lashing, warlocks use scythes/staves, and skeletons use everything else. You're equipping them accordingly, right?
I had thought that scourges were a weapon specifically for ghouls? Or are those flails? Certainly, they enjoy running around with wraithblades if I don't equip them myself. In the preceding days I've tried to equip them with glass armors and bloodsteel armor, but with mixed results. Perhaps that's a skill thing as well that I'm not quite in touch with? For example, I tried many different ways to equip a squad with bone armor, but the only surefire method that worked was equipping them individually, and neither the ghouls nor the warlocks would allow me to equip them with ashland armor, but they would equip bloodsteel (and yes, I know now that ashland isn't very good armor anyhow).

On a more fortressy note, I reacquainted myself with physics when one of my warlocks accidentally deconstructed himself off a cliff into the sinister lake while constructing a diagonal section of my ethereal tower. Oh well... Now I can replace him with a skellington!
In adventure mode I killed a Hydra within fifteen minutes, and then was mortally wounded by Carp while swimming in a river.

Seraphyx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #889 on: April 23, 2014, 10:33:53 am »

Came back to DF after a long break. Apparently now there are necromorphs. So... that happened. THANKS OBAMA!

Denisac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #890 on: April 23, 2014, 09:01:05 pm »

Came back to DF after a long break. Apparently now there are necromorphs. So... that happened. THANKS OBAMA!

So what you're saying is that archeology can !FUN!  Those were definitely a surprise, but still an amusing Dead Space reference.

Traece

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #891 on: April 24, 2014, 12:49:36 am »

Started looking at Gnomes this week. Some really interesting stuff in here!

This first truly successful fortress makes a great poster child for workers' rights and adherence to proper safety procedures. I severely underestimated my gnomes and their willingness to become one with their own creations. The moment I allowed them to construct a stonecutter it all went wrong. A fortress of ~70 gnomes was brought down by five gnomes who decided that the stonecutter is a perfectly safe place to walk.

Stay safe, stay whole. Always observe the proper safety procedures. [This PSA brought to you by Robnicosh (Immortalhalls) Inc.]
In adventure mode I killed a Hydra within fifteen minutes, and then was mortally wounded by Carp while swimming in a river.

Spatulor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #892 on: April 24, 2014, 12:21:13 pm »

I'm discovering how much FUN can be had when I don't take enough care quarantining new migrants. Yay, Bubonic Plague! I'm very shortly going to abandon this fort and start again with proper quarantine measures in place. Maybe I'll keep a small group of dwarves more or less topside to do trading and surface farming so I can't catch diseases from merchants.

JAK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #893 on: April 24, 2014, 01:13:42 pm »

Been in business as a dorf fort in a flat area bordering desert and grassland for almost 5 years, where the only river freezes for 5 months out of the year. 1.2 million dorfbuck value, and nearing 200 population, but only 3 ambushes and no sieges/megabeasts. We have also had two frost giant thieves appeared (killed both for free bifrost)

LMeire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #894 on: April 24, 2014, 10:58:40 pm »

Everyone died before I hit 20 population; same old, same old.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #895 on: April 24, 2014, 11:13:42 pm »

Everyone died before I hit 20 population; same old, same old.

I'm guessing the pyromancer set fire to something and killed everyone?
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

LMeire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #896 on: April 24, 2014, 11:35:10 pm »

Yep, I didn't even have time to react, it was the very first thing he did and since that was the first wave, most of my supplies were still in the wagon. My guess is he saw one of the wild hawks flying around, a flying target would explain why there's no wild animals on the dead unit list.

Seraphyx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #897 on: April 27, 2014, 01:31:09 am »

So what you're saying is that archeology can !FUN!  Those were definitely a surprise, but still an amusing Dead Space reference.

I don't think Fun was on any of my dwarves' minds considering I had no idea how to deal with it and didn't have the means to build what was needed to destroy it.

When I saw the logs mention a "red marker" I was very confused, thinking it can't be what I'm thinking of, well... it was.

Anyways though, I think maybe that should have and on/off option or be a part of the secret "fun" stuff. I'm not sure how unlucky I was but I don't think I examined more than maybe 5 things at the archaeologist when it happened. Safe to say I wont be doing that next playthrough.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #898 on: April 27, 2014, 02:20:37 am »

On average it happens 1-2 within 100 items you excavate, and the temple can instantly help you.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

CptCrunchy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #899 on: April 27, 2014, 01:17:54 pm »

I had two necromorph things happen from the maybe 10 relics in my current fort, luckily I already had a temple
Likes nether horror for their ability to turn people into eldritch horrors. Seriously, what is wrong with that dwarf.
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61 62 ... 113