Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9

Author Topic: reproductive research project **NOW UNDERWAY!**  (Read 30949 times)

Deepblade

• Bay Watcher
  • Tholtarmid
    • View Profile
Re: reproductive research project **NOW UNDERWAY!**
« Reply #30 on: June 27, 2013, 01:21:49 pm »

Such usless creatures these dwarves!

I'm sure that's what cats think about us. keep at it. We'll have a genetically pure race of Dwarves in not time.
Deepblade's Standardized Creature Parts, for when you're pissed about all the different types of animal products there are.

Mr. Palau

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: reproductive research project ready to begin
« Reply #31 on: June 27, 2013, 03:38:24 pm »

Try to bread a race of super-dwarves.
WE SHALL COVER THE SUPER-DWARVES...WITH BREAD, THEN COOK THEM IN A DELICIOUS PASTY AND CONSUME THEM! ALL HAIL BREAD DWARVES!

Sigged for hilarious typo XD
lol that's hillarious. I had actually spelled "breed" the right way and then was like "wait that's not how you spell breed" and typed in bread.

To OP, you can also test whether any new traits emerge or if dwarves' physical attributes are entirely determined by their parents' attributes. You know, see if  the child of a strong dwarf and a tough dwarf, both with average agility, can have poor agility or poor some-other-trait, or be endowed with a god-like resistance to disease.
you can't just go up to people and get laid.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 27, 2013, 03:49:25 pm »

I have already noted spontaneous generation of disease resistance trait in a desirable G1 offspring. It was spared.

Urist_McGamer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 27, 2013, 04:57:13 pm »

Posting to watch, I really enjoy the Dwarven Science that people get up to on these forums.
But others might prefer to have the mess contained behind windows to avoid tracking blood all over the their nice, color coordinated floor patterns. Kind of the Ozzy Osborne vs. Martha Stewart debate.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 27, 2013, 05:29:42 pm »

The nature of this research requires lots of time, because it can't be sped up.

The amount of data being produced is too difficult to share in full. (Just look at the Gen0 preferences dump! That was 46 images!)

Instead, I have decided on the following protocols:

If the parents share a negative trait, permit the negative trait in the offspring. If either parent is lacking in a negative trait, and the offspring inherits the ngative trait, the offspring is to be culled. Inheritence of multiple bad traits also results in culling.

Phase one will systematically eliminate all physical bad traits via a combination of culling and arranged marriages.

Phase two will begin once all negative physical traits have been eradicated, and will repeat the process for bad mental traits.

The fortress will then be savescummed, and processed through legends mode to extract pertinent data on how each generation of culling and arranged marriage worked in regard to rate of culling, to produce a statistical curve for future reference. This is why the naming convention is used; all culls are given a cull designator, instead of a unit designator. This allows culled offspring to be tracked seperately from accepted offspring, so that the rate of culling for each generation can be plotted.

The savescummed fortress will then enter phase 3 of the experiment, where the fortress will be rennovated to accept isolated populations based on phylogenic features. (Eye color, hair color, fatness, etc.)  Once this is done, and all offspring breed true for those isolated features within their isolated sub-blocks of the fortress, inheritence studies for dominance and recessivity for these features will commence.

Phase 4 of the experiment will test various phylogenic features for impact in regard to military service and fortress labor activities. (Fatness vs thinness, etc.) Savescumming for repeated identical trials will be heavily employed to silence experimental noise.

Phase 5 of the experiment will be to employ all data collected previously to cull all disadvantageous phylogenic groups from the fortress, then grow the resulting population of uberdwarves until the fortress' theoretical maximum capacity is reached, while maintaing all purity standards.

After phase 5, the fortress will be released for community use. (The historical migrants from this fortress will surely be superior to those from any other fortress, and the effect of phase 5 completion will be that over 700 such dwarves will be in existence. This makes this world interesting from a community bloodlines game standpoint.)

This project will take a very long time to complete to phase 5.

The data, however, will be delicious.

Deepblade

• Bay Watcher
  • Tholtarmid
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 27, 2013, 05:36:41 pm »

recessive genes do exist. In the eugenics thread the guy had noted a few blood lines where the parents had the same skin, hair, or eye color was being passed down, but occasionally he'd get a child with a different color.

He had also observed that a couple that liked crossbows had several children that liked crossbows as well.
Deepblade's Standardized Creature Parts, for when you're pissed about all the different types of animal products there are.

Mr. Palau

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 27, 2013, 08:24:06 pm »

recessive genes do exist. In the eugenics thread the guy had noted a few blood lines where the parents had the same skin, hair, or eye color was being passed down, but occasionally he'd get a child with a different color.

He had also observed that a couple that liked crossbows had several children that liked crossbows as well.
I might not be right but IIRC preferences are not inherited.

Also, are mental attributes even inheritable?

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 27, 2013, 08:30:25 pm »

I have noticed that it appears to be correlated with the parents.

Culling will help determine if it is indeed heritable. If it isn't, then the rate of culling will not diminish over time when checked in legends mode.

cathartic rooster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 27, 2013, 10:35:51 pm »

Are you bothering to watch for throwbacks too or is that just too much data? I want to know if this game remembers not just the parents, but THEIR parents as well. is great grandpa was very sickly but the rest of the dwarves are hardy, could Little Jimmy be born with an aptitude for illness?
The cup is studded with megalomania and failure.

Mr. Palau

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 27, 2013, 10:37:50 pm »

Are you bothering to watch for throwbacks too or is that just too much data? I want to know if this game remembers not just the parents, but THEIR parents as well. is great grandpa was very sickly but the rest of the dwarves are hardy, could Little Jimmy be born with an aptitude for illness?
I think he is saving all of the generations attributes so we could check that out after the experiment is done.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 28, 2013, 01:27:16 pm »

The culling continues.  10 babies have been born. 5 must be culled. Several are inspirations for birth control.

You see what happens when you marry for love, and not science NOW, dwarves?!

Swonnrr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 28, 2013, 01:50:10 pm »

Urist McMother has been ecstatic lately. She has lost a baby. She had to endure the decay of a child. She had been haunted by a child. She watched a fine door.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 28, 2013, 01:57:25 pm »

Nope, the babies dont decay, because they become zombie babies.

Necromancy, for fun and profit. Just install a necromancer tower directly inside the fortress!

*note

So far, BOTH of GroupQ's babies have had to be culled. So far, they are 0:2 on the genetic lottery. Just thought I would mention that.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2013, 02:05:18 pm by wierd »

InfinityOrNone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 28, 2013, 06:30:00 pm »

Yes, the data is delicious indeed! Now, here's my question: what is the desired end result of this (besides !!SCIENCE!!, of course)? Do you plan on the creation of a superior and genetically homogenous race of Super Dwarves, which will be made to last until the Age of Fairy Tails as they become the last of the fantastic races left, before you abandon the fort and allow them to scurry out and reclaim the surface world in the name of dorfkind, thus exterminating mankind and, indeed, all else?

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 28, 2013, 06:35:44 pm »

That is a decidedly possible outcome at the conclusion of phase 5, yes.  At that time I will upload the still active fortress for community enjoyment, including immediate abandonment, and creation of new succession games.

At the conclusion of phase 5, the fortress will have over 700 dwarves inside. It has living accomodations for at least that many.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9