Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9

Author Topic: reproductive research project **NOW UNDERWAY!**  (Read 30493 times)

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
Re: reproductive research project ready to begin
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2013, 11:51:21 am »

In this case, prospective lovers will be sequestered into an all expenses paid nuptial suite which contains a quantum stockpile of booze and food, a dining hall made for 2, and 2 beds. Since they are the only ones inside, they have all the time in the world to rub elbows (or whatever it is they rub), and become lovers, without creating dangerous friendship trees.

We want to control who marries whom so that we can maximize the benefits of the experiment. Allowing free association does not accomplish the experimental goals:

1)determine at what level of relation dwarves will engage in incest
2)experimentation on behavioral trait compatibility to see what traits cause grudges when paired.
3)overall Eugenics research, with multiple family lines each receiving different phylogenic goals.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2013, 12:54:00 pm »

Ok--

Here's the experimental apparatus available to us here at SecretChambers!
(note, images are full size. Links instead of embeds Photobucket sucks, and scaled the images without asking! Sorry!)

Here at SecretChambers, Dwarven luxury is not just a euphemism, but a way of life! Initially built as a containment facility to prevent the local human necromancers from raising unholy armies of the undead to use against the mountain home, SecretChambers quickly evolved into a truly unique place to live! Take a virtual tour!

Tower level 3
Tower level 2
Tower level 1
Tower ground floor
Sub level 1
Sub level 2
Sub level 3

Tower level 3 currently contains the food stockpiles, kitchens, and the initial flying dining hall wing. It will be renovated for growing surface crops once the floor tiles have been muddied with water from the two wells in sub level 1.

Tower level 2 currently contains the initial stockpiles required to service the fortress, and the makeshift masonry and crafts dwarf's workshops. This level will be re-designated for textile processing at a later time.

Tower level 1 contains the drop-chutes for the quantum food stockpiles in the nuptial suites on the Tower ground floor. It also contains the initial living quarters, and the drop bridge for depositing our honored dead into the chamber of eternity on the ground floor. Visible from this level are the rooftops of the 4 security pillboxes installed to safeguard the facility from marauding green-skinned mutants.

Tower ground level contains the 7 nuptial suites, the ground floor of the necromancer tower, the chamber of eternity, the trade depot portico, and the extra special* office of extra-dwarven affairs. The security pillboxes are readily visible, as is the crowd control moat.

Sub Level 1 contains the growing chambers for dwarven staple crops, as well as the hospital zone storage annex, and the 2 wells. (currently dry. The moat is still filling.)

Sub level 2 contains improved housing, the overseer's office, the sherrif's office and jail annex, and the hospital wing, as well as the security offices and municipal weapons lockers for each pillbox.

Sub level 3 is where the magic lives. Welcome to SecretChambers, where the fortress gets its name! This level contains 4 massive, and luxurious dining halls, complete with dedicated kitchens and living accommodations for over 700 dwarves, all of solid stone, smoothed and polished. Access to the security stations is a convenient ascent of the central stairs at the hallway terminus of each wing. This level houses the Royal Suite, as well as untapped provisions for lesser nobility and royal mausoleums.

Our facility is completely self sufficient, and requires no outside interventions of any sort. In fact, it doesn't even have a front door! (or a backdoor either!)
« Last Edit: June 26, 2013, 01:01:12 pm by wierd »

Flarp

• Bay Watcher
  • and tearing apart the self-esteem!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2013, 12:55:32 pm »

In this case, prospective lovers will be sequestered into an all expenses paid nuptial suite which contains a quantum stockpile of booze and food, a dining hall made for 2, and 2 beds. Since they are the only ones inside, they have all the time in the world to rub elbows (or whatever it is they rub), and become lovers, without creating dangerous friendship trees.

We want to control who marries whom so that we can maximize the benefits of the experiment. Allowing free association does not accomplish the experimental goals:

1)determine at what level of relation dwarves will engage in incest
2)experimentation on behavioral trait compatibility to see what traits cause grudges when paired.
3)overall Eugenics research, with multiple family lines each receiving different phylogenic goals.

Fair enough. Were the pairings created on any basis, or are they truly random?
He views any show of emotion as offensive, sees introspection as important, values self-control, and strongly believes that a peaceful and ordered society without dissent would be best. He believes that mastery of a skill is one of the highest pursuits, values nature, and finds romance distasteful. He holds well-laid plans and shrewd deceptions in the highest regard.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2013, 01:08:26 pm »

The pairings will be up to the forum to decide on. I will pre-screen candidates so that only individuals within the magic age-range are up for consideration.

We arent quite ready for the Bay12's entry debut of Lowered Expectations just yet though.

Mr. Palau

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2013, 04:10:11 pm »

Try to bread a race of super-dwarves.
you can't just go up to people and get laid.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2013, 04:24:39 pm »

Scratch that--  looks like the whole fortress has somehow managed to get hitched behind my back! Looks like generation 0 will be wild type.

I will set child:1 to resolve the children issue, so I have material to work with.

Child:1 set.
Renaming dwarves with their new geneological descriptors. At least one outstanding situation with adult with already adult and married child detected.

5 children are present.

We have initial genetic lineages A through Q, apparently, and 4 unmarried adult dwarves.

Current data forthcoming. Stand by.

« Last Edit: June 26, 2013, 05:17:50 pm by wierd »

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2013, 06:51:42 pm »

(OK! Image heavy post of insane all populated! Whew! Discuss options!)

The following entries detail the 16 initial reproductive pairings, their already extant offspring, the fortress's bachelors, and recomendations for each.

List:

Spoiler: Group A (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Group B (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Group C (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Group D (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Group E (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Group F (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Group G (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Group H (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Group I (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Group J (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Group K (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Group L (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Group M (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Group N (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Group O (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Group P (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Group Q (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Bachelorette (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Bachelor #1 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Bachelor #2 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Bachelor #3 (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 26, 2013, 07:24:49 pm by wierd »

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2013, 07:35:17 pm »

OK, Now that the prefs pages for our initial breeding stock are up, time to make recommendations for the experimental process.

Group A exhibits good candidacy for testing obesity. Sadly, their offspring will likely suffer serious issues with exhaustion.  Recommend culling all offspring that exhibit both negative traits of the father, and cross easily tired offspring with another group that is difficult to tire.

Group B exhibits good candidacy for testing muscularity, but their offspring will certainly have difficulties with disease. Recommend crossing their offspring with another group that shows disease resistance, and culling disease weak children from that union.

Group C has good traights for Tough and Strong, but weaknesses for disease, slow to heal and flimsyness. The flimsy bad trait might breed out. Recommend to cull offspring with slow to heal and flimsy attributes, breed offspring against disease resistant goups.

The 4 bachelor dwarves apparently will never marry. Bachelorette and Bachelor #1 are of compatible ages, but have formed a grudge. Bachelor's 2 and 3 are way outside bachelorette's age range.  These dwarves will become a farmer, a mason/craftsdwarf, a clothier, and a brewer. All other dwarves will have all labors revoked. All dining halls will cease to serve as meeting halls.

Etc.

I will make a full breakdown later.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2013, 07:47:46 pm by wierd »

werty892

• Bay Watcher
  • Neat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2013, 08:27:47 pm »

Try to bread a race of super-dwarves.
WE SHALL COVER THE SUPER-DWARVES...WITH BREAD, THEN COOK THEM IN A DELICIOUS PASTY AND CONSUME THEM! ALL HAIL BREAD DWARVES!

Sigged for hilarious typo XD

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: reproductive research project **NOW UNDERWAY!**
« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2013, 08:58:55 pm »

The "delicious pasty" is especially hilarious.

You DO no what a pasty IS, right?

« Last Edit: June 26, 2013, 09:02:35 pm by wierd »

itg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2013, 10:46:21 pm »

Maybe he meant it as in Cornish pasty. That's food.

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2013, 10:48:53 pm »

-snip-

There is also the pastie, which here in Michigan is beef, carrot or turnip and potato wrapped in a flaky crust and baked. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pasty

Dang, ninja'd while admiring the pasties on wikipedia. Now I'm hungry.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2013, 12:24:31 am »

Back on topic:

I exterminated the children, except for GroupN_Gen1_Unit1, who has no negative (physical) traits, and is worthy of joining the Gen1 genepool.

The other 4 children were fed alive to the zombies. (Not kidding. I really did.)

InfinityOrNone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 27, 2013, 12:48:20 am »

There is so much delicious evil in this thread I will never need to season my food again.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 27, 2013, 01:10:51 pm »

Several dwarven babies were born today.  Only 2 are fit to enter Gen1 genepool however, due to inheriting multip0le bad traits from their worthless parents who insisted upon marrying for love instead of science.

An interesting bug seems to have cropped up as well.  Seems that putting a custom name on a newborn baby frequently causes the baby to be dropped. I have several unworthy ankle biters crawling all over the main metro area. Their parents? Chatting it up in their quarters. Such usless creatures these dwarves!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9