Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Domesticating sharks?  (Read 21441 times)

Ace_Warbringer

• Bay Watcher
  • Swords For Everybody!
    • View Profile
Re: Domesticating sharks?
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2013, 08:42:52 am »

So what you're saying is, we should create a whalegun.

I almost choked on my breakfast with this. +1
Though maybe that's the issue. The concept is just too simple for the dwarven mind to grasp!

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2013, 09:14:42 am »

What you want is a double shotgun. The game will have any container (minecarts, bins, barrels, cages) eject their contents if smashed sideways into a wall at high speed. The contents always appear 1z above the wall unless you are in a low-ceiling tunnel.

Therefore, minecart with cage smashes into wall, shooting cage. Cage smashes into wall on the z-level above, shooting sharks over that wall.

Vid_the_Impaler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2013, 09:18:29 am »

Most sharks give live birth in real life.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2013, 10:48:55 am »

this reminds me of the old flash video "how to kill a mockingbird"
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2013, 11:17:04 am »

I understand thread has already gone in another direction but aquatic animals survive just fine in 3/7 water, so the main task is to catch them in the ocean.(Got test results wrong)
Dwarves don't necessarily need to stand in water of the same depth. I've had a mayor to successfully  conduct a meeting with a wall between him and angry citizen. It just need a hypothetical path to the target and a dry spot nearby.

Code: [Select]
.╔══╗.
.║∆∆║.
.║∆∆║.
.╚══╝.
∆ - ramp
Place and suspend walls on every ramp (the tank will need to be dug for this to be possible), fill it with 15 units of water and pit sharks in. With a luck trainer will schedule a job while standing on dotted space.
Also they don't lay eggs, they give birth.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2013, 11:39:54 am by Di »
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2013, 12:51:56 pm »

Ideas like this are probably one of the primary reasons why our community isn't at least three times the size that it is. These ideas are also the reason why none of us will ever leave, such a conundrum.

Are you trying to tell me you DON'T want trained war sharks guarding your moat?

ARMORED war sharks?

...I'm getting ahead of myself (and wishing there were ways to armor pets outside of transmuting interactions - I'd love 'barding' for animals)
While I too am a fan of barding for our beasts, I would be satisfied simply with Animal Caretakers actually taking care of animals (that are injured).
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Thormgrim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2013, 01:03:09 pm »

i really want to see if anybody gets this working...

Deepblade

• Bay Watcher
  • Tholtarmid
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2013, 01:15:20 pm »

Also they don't lay eggs, they give birth.

It depends on the species of shark. Most do live births, but there are a few that lay eggs.
Deepblade's Standardized Creature Parts, for when you're pissed about all the different types of animal products there are.

BoredVirulence

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2013, 03:56:12 pm »

Don't we need vampire animal trainers? Won't vampires path through water normally?

flame99

• Bay Watcher
  • Lady Stardust & her songs of darkness and disgrace
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2013, 04:05:49 pm »

PTW. This is amazing. As for capturing sharks, shouldn't it be possible to drain water and have the current pull them in? I've never really used water much, so I haven't been able to observe current working in the game. If so, this should be possible:

+wwww+
+wwww+
+f+++
+ c +
+ F +
+ . . . .+
+ . . . .+
+ + + + +

(Side view)
With + being a wall, w being water (Deep enough at the top for a marine animal to survive), f being a floodgate, c being a cage trap, F being a fortification, w being water and . being open space. You put untrained sharks in the water, then have a dwarf pull a lever that activates the floodgate. The sharks are drained into the small nook and caught in the cage trap, while the water is drained into the room below. A pump stack can bring it back up to be reused. You will need to have one cage trap/floodgate/fortification combination, however, so it may be a good idea to expand the water tank.
The mechanics behind this may be flawed, I'm not entirely sure as to how beached marine animals work with cages, and if marine animals can  survive in above-water cages.
It/its, they/them, in order of preference.

Not gay as in happy, queer as in fuck you.

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2013, 04:33:57 pm »

Don't we need vampire animal trainers? Won't vampires path through water normally?
Genius idea!

Kaos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2013, 04:42:35 pm »

If you put a caged animal in a minecart, when it crashes i believe the animal flies out, (i think i've seen this happen with cats)... So yeah you probably could, might experiment with a whale instead though, or... 10 whales in one cage.

even better! an "elephant gun" that actually shoots real living elephants!

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2013, 05:28:11 pm »

If you put a caged animal in a minecart, when it crashes i believe the animal flies out, (i think i've seen this happen with cats)... So yeah you probably could, might experiment with a whale instead though, or... 10 whales in one cage.

even better! an "elephant gun" that actually shoots real living elephants!

Even better! A gun that shoots husked elephants and giant sponges! ... I'm going to have nightmares about this now.
Pemmican is pretty incredibly durable. Corn and rice also lust forever without refrigeration.
Ah yes, the insatiable lust of corn and rice, clearly two of the most erotic foods.

Deepblade

• Bay Watcher
  • Tholtarmid
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 27, 2013, 05:43:31 pm »

nightmares are what ☼Threads☼ are made of. Can a bronze colossus or dragon be husked?
Deepblade's Standardized Creature Parts, for when you're pissed about all the different types of animal products there are.

Hetairos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 27, 2013, 06:02:34 pm »

This must be tested on giant sperm whales.

Breeding and taming sharks, shooting them at the enemy, undead animal trainers and traditional physics abuse. This is possibly the most dwarfy thing I've seen in a while.

I love this community. Somebody asks "hay guise how do i tame shark", and then everybody is like "why don't we fling sharks at things with complex mechanical devices?".
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5