Other Projects > Other Games

Star Citizen: The Old Thread Was Dead

(1/86) > >>

Capntastic:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)Hello, today I'm here to talk to you about Star Citizen.

Did you folks ever play the Wing Commander games and their dogfighting action cut with exquisite gear loadout fun?  Well, the fellow who designed them, Chris Roberts, has been raising lot of money (about 10 million bux, so far) to make Star Citizen, which is a game in that vein.  He does this because he wants to make the game free from publisher maliciousness.

It's like EVE + Action gameplay, with lowsec space and fully player driven economy.  And you get to see the inside of your own cockpit and read your character's HUD.  The game will support Oculus Rift and other snazzy peripherals.

The game is pretty ambitious, but being built on the CryEngine, a lot of the heavy lifting is taken care of already.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92rb-8mYHE0  <-- Very early gameplay, seamless hangar bay to asteroid field to dogfighting spread across 15 minutes of talkin'.

The game comes bundled with Squadron 42, which is sort of a non-online prequel campaign that leads you through the gameplay and setting, at which point you are ready for the 'real world'.

There is somewhat realistic physics, with the ability to knock out someone's thrusters and really ruin their day.  There will be the ability to forcibly board larger player ships and hijack them.  There will be space piracy and paying shady stations to 'update' the Space VIN of your hull so no one mistakenly believes your ship is stolen.  There are missiles, engines, lasers, and guns of all sorts.

And the ship designs are spectacular.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JrQ0qMRZ_1Q  <-- Look at the effort they put into an in-setting ad for one of the ships.
https://cdn-rsi.s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/brochures/300series_brochure.pdf <-- The brochure for the 300i series ship.

Each of the pledge-based ships has a similar in-world press package, from the humble workhorse Aurora-class ships, to the "Basically the Millenium Falcon" Constellations.

I only found out about the game recently, and was shocked to see that the thread here was dead.  This seems like the sort of grit that DF folks would love.  I've taken it upon myself to drum up some love.

Even though the Kickstarter ended last year, they've extended pledges to keep adding content to the game.  For the next week, as the new site for the game is being put up, all ships attained through pledges will have Lifetime Insurance.  This means, simply, that you will not be able to permanently lose your ship for very long.  This is super important, since anyone who has played EVE knows how awful it is to be stuck with a barely flyable ship scraping ore together to buy guns (and even if you haven't played EVE, it's easy to imagine...)

So yeah, the game looks awesome, and I'm psyched, even if it won't be out for about two years.

The above is what I posted three years ago when the game seemed feasible.  Since then my views have change.  I recommend not pledging anything to this game and watching from the sidelines.

If you do want to toss money away, at least use a friend's referral code:  STAR-BG7X-KDST

Xantalos:
Hey, I remember this (thank you Angry Joe)! Yes I am eagerly awaiting this.

Capntastic:
-

Parsely:
Looks really cool. Remember watching a bunch of videos about this about a year ago.

boki:
Its good that it will have normal single player campaign as I am not interested that much in a MMO.
Now only to save money for good comp that will be able to run this beast

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version