Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 29

Author Topic: Star Citizen: The Old Thread Was Dead  (Read 61394 times)

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Star Citizen: The Old Thread Was Dead
« Reply #45 on: July 05, 2013, 03:37:39 am »

Sure thing! Here's a Retaliator sketch! Though keep in mind, it is a work in progress; these things can change at a moment's notice.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I'm so pledging for this beauty!

To those who are on the fence, if it's bought before 6 July 2013, please note that anyone can go for the least expensive package to get the following:
Alpha access
Beta access
Star Citizen digital download (online module)
Squadron 42 digital download (offline module)
1000 in game credits for Star Citizen
Aurora with Life Time Insurance

I believe it costs $40 for non original (Kickstarter) backer.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2013, 03:48:02 am by BuriBuriZaemon »
Napalm is great if you enjoy hot and spicy foods. I personally enjoy some liquid nitrogen.

Steam profile: Elsior
Friend Code: 2938 - 7181 - 3815 (Elsior/Elle Ciel)

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #46 on: July 05, 2013, 04:15:30 pm »

That one is for original backers only.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/pledge/145-advanced-starter-package-lti  This one has mostly the same as the above, but a slightly better ship, and is 45 bux.

PanH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 06, 2013, 07:44:31 am »

It's the mercenary pack which has alpha/beta and base ship for non backers. It's 32 I believe.

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 07, 2013, 10:35:44 am »

many people talks about this game, i cant seem to find what makes it different from other titles like X3 or the Evochron Series. i cant design and build my own spaceship, i cant do industry stuff or land in planets and build things there. i see only the typical dog fighting game. for a game that got like what 14 million dollars pledged?, too much money for something so plain.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 07, 2013, 12:15:04 pm »

many people talks about this game, i cant seem to find what makes it different from other titles like X3 or the Evochron Series. i cant design and build my own spaceship, i cant do industry stuff or land in planets and build things there. i see only the typical dog fighting game. for a game that got like what 14 million dollars pledged?, too much money for something so plain.

I think you can do industry stuff, designing and building your own spaceship, not just from blueprints but your own is being encouraged, with the best/apt fit being added to the main server (i think you have free reign in your own). There's already Boarding and otherwise walking around your ship, and there will be planet-side and station areas traversable by us on release, with plans to expand (once again, i think). They'll be adding fresh systems for us to discover after release (and some off the bat). Detail being given to the ship customization aside, as you'd be a better judge.

(Also player crews)
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 07, 2013, 12:31:26 pm »

I think you can do industry stuff, designing and building your own spaceship, not just from blueprints but your own is being encouraged, with the best/apt fit being added to the main server (i think you have free reign in your own). There's already Boarding and otherwise walking around your ship, and there will be planet-side and station areas traversable by us on release, with plans to expand (once again, i think). They'll be adding fresh systems for us to discover after release (and some off the bat). Detail being given to the ship customization aside, as you'd be a better judge.

(Also player crews)

well at least they should note that in the features page, cause i only see the most basic. they dont say anything about that in their site

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 07, 2013, 12:36:24 pm »

There are modules/modifications you can add to spacecraft, but all actual ship hull creation is out-of-game. You can create entire new ships, but you will need to create the 3D models and such on your own (no in-game systems for doing this; you would need Maya, Blender, or whatever your model creation software of choice is).

Now, there's 3 distinct gameplay types which need to be taken into account:

1. Persistent World/MMO/Official Servers: These would then be submitted, and be approved/rejected for addition into the game. They would need to be pretty high quality in order to be approved; on the level of those already existing. It has been stated that they want a relatively low number of ships in order to keep the ships themselves relatively iconic.

2. Persistent World/MMO/Private Servers: These would be whatever the private servers' admins decide upon.

3. Singleplayer: Just add correctly formatted ship files and such to your game.

Most of the customization will take place with the various modules, not through changing the hull itself.

As a little side note to your last bit, you will be able to have player crews, but also hire NPC crews of varying skill/costs.

Important Note: While I am a dev, A: my job is writing graphics shaders and B: I haven't actually started work yet. So don't take my posts as anything more than a layperson with publicly released info, because that's exactly what I am. And even after I start, I work on the graphics, and so anything gameplay related I say is liable to be wrong as well as certainly being liable to change at any moment, and will be based solely on beans which have already been spilled.

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 07, 2013, 03:16:09 pm »

They make a pretty clear note of an in-depth economy system on their site. Which includes industry  naturally. The level of polish is looking to be lightyears ahead of something like Evochron (Which is a one man indie game).

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #53 on: July 07, 2013, 04:37:08 pm »

Just hit 14 million in funding.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 08, 2013, 12:12:30 am »

In terms of some of the customization complexity, this should give you an idea of the level of customization they want. From the $15 million rewards on the 'Thank You' page for $14 million:
The Upgrade Handbook: an extra 42-page manual that walks players through the process of customizing and overclocking their ship systems!
42 pages; which would suggest a rather large amount of customizability. Or a very large font with lots of pictures, one of the two. :P

Leyic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 08, 2013, 04:39:28 am »

Or an infatuation with the number 42, as the modding manual and both game manuals are also 42 pages (as is the 'making of' book).

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 08, 2013, 08:19:10 am »

Also, this: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/07/08/chris-roberts-explains-star-citizens-economy/
In short, dynamic economy, along with dynamic missions created based on economy and events relating to it.

Brons

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 09, 2013, 02:17:51 am »

I was really excited about this when it was first announced but seeing how it's turning into a pay to win game I'm going to wait until after release to see if it's fun for someone not wanting to dump a few hundred bucks to play a game.

zehive

• Bay Watcher
  • [DRAGONFIREBREATH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 09, 2013, 03:50:30 am »

I was really excited about this when it was first announced but seeing how it's turning into a pay to win game I'm going to wait until after release to see if it's fun for someone not wanting to dump a few hundred bucks to play a game.
But its nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooot.

Right now there is a cash shop. A cash shop in place to fund the game ENTIRELY. Not fund the game enough for the investors to invest, but to fund the game ENTIRELY.

I mean everyone who says 'pay2win aweful terrible joke game. go home everyone' really doesnt seem to have the thought range beyond a paper bag.

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 09, 2013, 04:00:01 am »

Many people would assume "Life Time Insurance" as a pay-to-win button. Well, it's not for reasons already mentioned multiple times. I guess the term could indeed potentially give the wrong perception and it discourages a potential buyer from digging more relevant information...

Napalm is great if you enjoy hot and spicy foods. I personally enjoy some liquid nitrogen.

Steam profile: Elsior
Friend Code: 2938 - 7181 - 3815 (Elsior/Elle Ciel)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 29