Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 29

Author Topic: Star Citizen: The Old Thread Was Dead  (Read 60704 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: Star Citizen: The Old Thread Was Dead
« Reply #360 on: May 06, 2020, 11:32:30 am »

If they ever actually decide to release something, I'm pretty sure every basic level Kickstarter backer for Squadron 42 or what the fuck ever is going to be conveniently forgotten about by CI.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: May 06, 2020, 11:57:20 am »

I'm glad I've backed this masterpiece back in 2012 (I think) with several ships.

Then a few laters I realized how this vaporware turd was evolving and sold my ships with life-time insurance, including a Constellation, for a profit of around 250€.

Best money I've ever spent on a kickstarter.

Wait, what? For somebody that hasn't really been following this debacle, how did that work? Was there actually a third party market for KS keys or something already?
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Damiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: May 06, 2020, 01:54:07 pm »

How did this thread avoid major drama over the years? That which sleeps was a much smaller game with much smaller amounts of money and that thread got locked multiple times.

I can't believe they're still managing to keep kicking the can down the road and keeping this nonsense going.

Shooer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: May 06, 2020, 02:06:04 pm »

I'm glad I've backed this masterpiece back in 2012 (I think) with several ships.

Then a few laters I realized how this vaporware turd was evolving and sold my ships with life-time insurance, including a Constellation, for a profit of around 250€.

Wait, what? For somebody that hasn't really been following this debacle, how did that work? Was there actually a third party market for KS keys or something already?
If you got in early enough the rewards were... better.  When they stopped offering it the people who had it get grandfathered in and keep their old (broken by some peoples point of view (of a unfinished game so who knows(I have no opinion on the 'balance' of a game that isn't done))) bonuses, which are permanent for the thing they bought.  So, thing in short supply, wanted by people, not sold by original creator; all adds up to a grey market for accounts with old bonuses.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: May 06, 2020, 06:22:40 pm »

How did this thread avoid major drama over the years? That which sleeps was a much smaller game with much smaller amounts of money and that thread got locked multiple times.

The selling of really expensive assets for a completely unfinished game rightly convinced the 95% that aren't completely blinkered that this was a scam waiting to happen. That cut down a lot of the debate. I'm sure there's some spicy posts in here, but nothing near That Which Sleeps. I suppose TWS was such a minor endeavor by comparison, it seemed much more possible. Not like this gargantuan freak beast before us.

I'd say maybe a year after the Kickstarter I realized I'd bought the hype even with just the most basic game pledge (in my defense it was the early days of Kickstarter before reality set in when ANYTHING seemed possible), and from there it just became so ridiculous I knew I was likely never going to see my rewards, let alone the game. There's playable, shitty demos out there but at this point I'm pretty sure I, and Chris Roberts, will be dead before there's an actual release title to play. Star Citizen and Cloud Imperium has taken on almost a cult-like momentum. As long as the money keeps coming in (and apparently it still is), the organization will continue to perpetuate itself. Kinda like Scientology.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2020, 10:12:59 am by nenjin »
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Blue_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: May 06, 2020, 07:40:49 pm »

I'd compare it to pledging for the next Game of Thrones book release.
Crafting Statistics 42.06Farming Statistics

Blue Dwarf has been happy lately. He did some !!science!! recently. He admired a fine forum post lately. He was enraged by a forum troll recently. He was upset by the delayed release of the new version of Dwarf Fortress lately. He took joy in planning a noble's death recently.

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: May 06, 2020, 08:14:31 pm »

To be fair, they are breacking ground in terms of technology and other aspect of space simulation and such, this tend to go into a lot of trial and error. They are currently working hard on server optimisation wich will fix a TON of lag issued bug and server memory access corruption.

For their defense, when it works, its a good game that need ton of polish and there is STILL more to come. First they need to make sure the backend is stable enough. Im glad i spent 300$ to get the constellation even if its one of the buggiest ship so far ived flown. I know they are heading somewhere and i like where the direction is. Even is sometime it goes to Venus (hint hint) before.
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
  • Ghosts are stored in the balls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: May 07, 2020, 12:58:15 am »

I can't believe they're still managing to keep kicking the can down the road and keeping this nonsense going.
My guess is it's because a lot of Bay12ers are jaded and cynical and grew up in a time before "games as a service" was a concept. I saw a lot of forums with younger users that were full of drama, to the point where threads were more about defending the game from "haters" and claiming that the full game was just around the corner than actually discussing Star Citizen.
Ghosts are stored in the balls?[/quote]
also George_Chickens quit fucking my sister

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: May 07, 2020, 09:59:31 am »

Put it this way.

I backed Star Citizen back when I first started this job.

A couple more years and I'll have been here for a decade.

Chris Roberts is notorious for having eyes bigger than his budget or his capabilities. Do a little digging in to his career as a movie maker.

-edit-

Wow, re-reading the thread has been a trip.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2020, 10:58:34 am by nenjin »

Ai Shizuka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: May 07, 2020, 01:03:32 pm »

Yes, there was (and probably still exists) a very active, unofficial market for Star Citizen ships. I did my transactions on reddit channel Starcitizen_trades. It involves a third-party intermediary which receives the ships from the seller and the money from the buyer.

The thing is, some ships and packages used to come with life-time insurance, which has been discontinued at some point.
Nobody knows how much of an impact will LTI have in the actual game, but it's still something not available anymore, which can be sold to dumb fanboys.

Radsoc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: May 07, 2020, 02:02:57 pm »

I don't regret spending money on it way back, but things definitely change over the years. I doubt I will ever have enough time to enjoy it as I first thought I would.
"The hand-mill gives you society with the feudal lord; the steam-mill society with the industrial capitalist."

"To punish the oppressors of humanity is clemency; to forgive them is cruelty. The severity of tyrants has barbarity for its principle; that of a republican government is founded on beneficence."

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: May 07, 2020, 02:18:37 pm »

So... what even is this game now? What is the gameplay supposed to be? Ive seen some videos of people flying around but thats all.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: May 07, 2020, 02:36:37 pm »

There's several "Module" demos showing a slice of each part of gameplay, from the on foot combat to space combat to just a basic flight sim / demo of ship control. Last I checked anyways. It's yet to be stitched together into one complete package.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: May 07, 2020, 08:30:24 pm »

I mean you can move packages, board stations and kill pirate ships if you find the right missions, if you don't mind severe desync issues, but the things are there.

I did a mission where you board a space yacht that has been taken over by pirates or something. Then a countdown started before they hacked the bridge or something and I had only killed 3 or 4 NPCs and I got cornered and defeated because I ran out of ammo since my original gun vanished from my hands for no reason and I had to rely on picking the dropped guns with a single magazine each.

Radsoc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: May 11, 2020, 02:36:13 pm »

Just wanted to check the status of the Merchantman and found this:

"The Banu Merchantman IS REAL AND IT'S COMING (New Sneak Peek)"
https://testsquadron.com/threads/the-banu-merchantman-is-real-and-its-coming-new-sneak-peek.9927/

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
"The hand-mill gives you society with the feudal lord; the steam-mill society with the industrial capitalist."

"To punish the oppressors of humanity is clemency; to forgive them is cruelty. The severity of tyrants has barbarity for its principle; that of a republican government is founded on beneficence."
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 29