Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 29

Author Topic: Star Citizen: The Old Thread Was Dead  (Read 55758 times)

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
Re: Star Citizen: The Old Thread Was Dead
« Reply #375 on: July 02, 2020, 05:05:53 am »

I made this thread seven years ago.  Yikes.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: July 02, 2020, 05:06:37 am »

I'm glad I've backed this masterpiece back in 2012 (I think) with several ships.

Then a few laters I realized how this vaporware turd was evolving and sold my ships with life-time insurance, including a Constellation, for a profit of around 250€.

Best money I've ever spent on a kickstarter.

Wait, what? For somebody that hasn't really been following this debacle, how did that work? Was there actually a third party market for KS keys or something already?

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/exvaaa/i-sold-my-star-citizen-fleet-to-finance-a-new-car

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: July 02, 2020, 06:25:45 am »

I'm glad I've backed this masterpiece back in 2012 (I think) with several ships.

Then a few laters I realized how this vaporware turd was evolving and sold my ships with life-time insurance, including a Constellation, for a profit of around 250€.

Best money I've ever spent on a kickstarter.

Wait, what? For somebody that hasn't really been following this debacle, how did that work? Was there actually a third party market for KS keys or something already?

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/exvaaa/i-sold-my-star-citizen-fleet-to-finance-a-new-car
Fools aren't mammoths, fools aren't going to go extinct.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2020, 06:27:48 am by MCreeper »

Sharp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: July 02, 2020, 02:35:37 pm »

That article is 4 years old....

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: July 02, 2020, 02:46:41 pm »

That article is 4 years old....
But i didn't see it before.  :P

Sharp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: July 02, 2020, 03:48:32 pm »

Oh didn't mean to make it like it was a negative comment at you, more like people were talking about that 4 years ago, the game still isn't out. People have started families since then, I wonder what they are doing with backers who die before the game is completed, it looks like the Star Citizen futures market is still there so that might actually be lots in assets

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #381 on: July 02, 2020, 08:56:22 pm »

I wonder what they are doing with backers who die before the game is completed
Can you even leave digital items to someone in a will?

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #382 on: July 03, 2020, 08:14:51 am »

Since I heard about this game I lost a parent, met my spouse, got married, had three kids, almost got divorced, reconciled, and soon all three of my kids will be in school.

I would imagine quite a few of the backers are either dead or in a place where they can't play as much or at all anymore.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

wolf.b

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: July 03, 2020, 10:19:22 am »

Star Citizen might be one of the greatest cons in gaming history. At the very least it's whalebait.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2020, 10:49:25 am by wolf.b »

Blue_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: July 03, 2020, 01:24:55 pm »

Every time someone bumps this, I'm like, I wonder if there are any new developments.

There aren't.
Crafting Statistics 42.06Farming Statistics

Blue Dwarf has been happy lately. He did some !!science!! recently. He admired a fine forum post lately. He was enraged by a forum troll recently. He was upset by the delayed release of the new version of Dwarf Fortress lately. He took joy in planning a noble's death recently.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: July 05, 2020, 05:17:03 pm »

Oh didn't mean to make it like it was a negative comment at you, more like people were talking about that 4 years ago, the game still isn't out. People have started families since then, I wonder what they are doing with backers who die before the game is completed, it looks like the Star Citizen futures market is still there so that might actually be lots in assets

To be clear, I wrote the article I linked

Sharp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: July 05, 2020, 05:44:05 pm »

xD didn't even see who I was replying to when I wrote that.

Got a follow up article? Done any more trading since then?

wolf.b

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: July 05, 2020, 06:06:42 pm »

To be clear, I wrote the article I linked

I mean firstly it's always been staggering how they managed to pull off the initial capital round. But more important than any of that is the business model they've set up for themselves. They are generating HUGE revenues from ship sales, it's simply not a feasible business model with a finished product and I don't believe for a second the game can continue to generate this kind of revenue post-release. That means it is in the business model's interest to remain in a state of perpetual development to ride the gravy train for as long as it lasts. I've personally got a friend who has spent close to 7000 dollars on the game over the course of about 6 years and he just keeps doubling down, to the point where he admits it'll probably never get fully released but he wants to make it happen and get the best ships if it does. This is why I call it whalebait. Firstly it's premium gameplay, while it advertises as only being a game with an initial purchase price, there's a subscription service to get lots of extras in-game. Then ofc there are the ships themselves with the most expensive costing $2,500 dollars. This game targets those who can initially afford the purchase price but then relies on whales to ultimately prop up the company's revenues with massive purchases. The worst part of all this is the cult-like mentality that this game will actually get finished. It's like waiting for the second coming of the Messiah, except this time there's a slick youtube channel to watch while you wait.

If you're a fan, nothing I say will convince you otherwise - but I know that my friend's family are pretty concerned about how much money he's investing into this game.

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: July 06, 2020, 01:38:01 am »

I fully agree with you, and I think just about everyone who isn't lost in sunk-cost fallacy recognizes that Star Citizen as it was originally presented was never feasible, and it's not become more feasible since.

I mostly check in on the development every now and then to see when the studio folds and Chris Roberts and his extended family take an extended vacation in a country that doesn't extradite to the US/UK due to their financial fraud.

Damiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: July 09, 2020, 03:33:53 pm »

Once my pal Bernie Madoff frees up his assets and pays me the 500 million he got me with his clever investment strategies, I'll be sure to invest it into this well managed, not-at-all-a-scam best space game ever.

Of course, if Madoff can't get the money to me in time, I may have to offload several bridges I purchased sight unseen.
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 29