Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: [IDEAS] - Warplings  (Read 2089 times)

Dwarf_Eater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
[IDEAS] - Warplings
« on: June 27, 2013, 03:14:46 pm »

Deep drows. Old, twisted by time race. Once beautiful, strong imperium, that faced downfall. Warpstone is said to be entirely their invention, and that warpstone veins are their relics from ancient times. How powerful they were, to change world to this degree? Nobody remembers.

Now they are dark and crazy nation. Using warpstone to force "evolution" to the extent of calling themselves "Warplings". Turning brothers into meat factories. Calling The Void for power. How much lower can nation fall?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Hi, I wrote all of this and probably will still be writing just because I love making stuff like that :) that aside, I don't have any intention of modding this race, as I have 0 modding skills and simply don't like it. I just wanted to think of original race, which could use new features. Or rather in that shape it'll force user to WISE using of features, as this concept is about though choice between how much population one is ready to sacrifice to get essencial resources. Embarking with more population, forcing caravans to join will be much more important :D

If anyone want to use this: I'll be happy, but only as far as it'll be additional race for Masterwork :3

Cheers ^^
« Last Edit: June 28, 2013, 04:48:29 am by Dwarf_Eater »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
Re: [IDEAS] - Warplings
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2013, 12:45:00 am »

I really like it :)

Some parts are difficult to impossible, especially the different castes that should be used in the farmworkshop. I dont think you can "shear" citizens. They would also all use the same creature sprites, you cant have caste-specific graphics.

Basing a race on warpstone, one that lives deep underground and is super-hostile, that does sound like fun, however my idea would go towards the Skaven, the planned ratmen. They have warpstone tech, they live underground, they are evil...

Human Bandits, Deep Drow, Ashlander Elves and Chaos Dwarves, all those were more a random idea to make your allies fightable. Over the time (and with healthy initiative of smakemupagus) they somehow developed their own characteristics.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Dwarf_Eater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2013, 01:34:18 am »

That's why i wrote "subcastes". Citizens would transform permamently into exclusive pets, which could not be normally bought, and they couldn't do labours (as pets can't)

I assumed that transformation into tamed creature is possible, was I wrong?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2013, 01:46:24 am »

Yes, you are right. I use the system for Golems, that does work. I did not realize that your sub-castes are supposed to be different creatures. That could work. Dont know about the shearing, but they can certainly have different sprites.
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Dwarf_Eater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2013, 01:59:49 am »

If it wouldn't be possible..

Can transformed creatures be made to breed?
If it's possible, then the problem (if it exists) can be solved by butchering them I think

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2013, 03:30:26 am »

Yes, of course they breed. Just like any other creature.

I am still not sure if you want to transform them into another creature or another caste of the same creature. This is a big, big difference.

Dwarf_Eater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2013, 04:12:41 am »

Another creature.

edit: and about skaven: they are rather more like parasite race, worshipping warpstone, than creators of it, as long as they are warhammerish skavens. If not, race that I wrote about may be called as well skaven ^^
« Last Edit: June 28, 2013, 04:30:56 am by Dwarf_Eater »

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2013, 05:40:42 am »

Interesting.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2013, 05:45:41 am »

So we just need a volunteer to start writing it? :P

Dwarf_Eater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2013, 07:44:25 am »

yeah, "JUST"

By the way, IF anybody would want to mod it, he can change it as he wants, or if nobody will be willing, Putnam can use ideas for his drow race :)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2013, 09:33:15 am »

Nothing you wrote down is really that complicated, everything can be done by rewriting raws that are already in the mod.

Main problem I see is the lack of stable warpstone, which is very rare and hard to find. Maybe they can make 5-10 warpstone shards from one boulder, to counterbalance that fact. Skaven should drop it upon death as well.

Faulik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2013, 09:52:30 am »

Can warpstone be supportive to one creature and deadly to other? Like creating a warpstone statues that would buff or heal nearby warplings, and on opposite hurt other. With mists or other workaround.

fasquardon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2013, 02:33:55 pm »

These remind me of the Shadow Elves from the original D&D. 

Would be really cool if they embarked down in the cavern layers - I am guessing that is pretty much impossible to mod though.

fasquardon

silentdeth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Let's Play Dwarf Fortress: Mastwork Mod Season 1
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2013, 09:16:33 pm »

I seem to recall reading that if you use embark anywhere in an ocean, you will start in the corner of the cavern. So if you could trick the game into thinking the place you picked to embark was ocean above ground it would force you to start below ground. The starting in a corner every time would be a bit of a pain if it could not be changed.
Let's Play Dwarf Fortress: Masterwork Mod Season 1 | Season 2
Let's Play Kobold Fortress: Masterwork Mod Season 1 | Season 2

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2013, 12:51:01 am »

The reason it starts you off in the caverns is due to the fact that there's no embarkable ground in the overworld, nothing to do with the ocean.
Pages: [1] 2