Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13

Author Topic: Scald (RPG) - You're a Corporate Spy 3,000 Years in the Future  (Read 14868 times)

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!

Its 12:00 at night. The light strips haven't been activated, so the office is dark, illuminated only by the headlights of hovering cars flashing by the tall panoramic window, so clear you'd hardly guess it was there if you didn't know any better. Moisture collects on the thick glass, pooling until it forms a small drop that slides down, picking up speed as it collides into other smaller droplets until eventually it falls off entirely, leaving behind a thick trail where it passed. Another drop forms. You think this could be an analogy for something, if you had the time to think about it. The carpet is cheap and the chairs are soft, and a long business table is situated at one end of the room, near the view. A steel doorway marks the sole exit, aside from the obvious alternative. You wonder absently just how far an eighty-three story drop is.

You turn your attention back to the dark figure sitting before you, silhouetted against the backdrop of the city behind him, the tall black buildings overshadowing everything around them. Another analogy. He leans forward, and you sense the figure's hidden features tensing as he prepares to ask you the inevitable question. So, do we have an agreement? He slides a data sheet across the dark ebony surface of the table between you. You stare at the figure, your eyes still searching for his, then look back down at the electronic document.

Name: Whats your name?
Appearance: What do you look like?
Background: Whats your day job?
Bio: Describe your life in detail up until this point.
Association: Pan Corporation (a medical developer, interested in psychic research), Hokoto Arms International (an arms manufacturer and developer), Ysgra Corporation (a communications developer and an interstellar travel company), Machinos Intergalactic (an aerospace developer. responsible for almost all planetary colonisation in history), Kavatar Incorporated (robotics developer, interested in cybernetics and androids)
Psychic Potential: Kinesis (affecting physical matter or energies) or Delving (affecting people's minds)
Goals: What kinds of jobs or activities to you want to be involved in?

The IN-COM
Your IN-COM is an implanted sub-dermal device that can send, store and display information. Everyone has one, and you can contact established "frequencies" that are accessed via permissions (they use cellular methods to contact one another; its not a radio). So basically its a walkie talkie for security guards or soldiers, and you can also call specific people or send texts, as well as view the internet. All the information in your IN-COM is viewed via a direct line to your optic nerve, since the device is effectively hard-linked to your brain (and your nervous system) to enable hands-free control. Only you can see what you're looking at. Delvers can access information stored on an IN-COM, but it requires an insane amount of effort, and its generally only attempted while the target is sleeping or otherwise unconscious unless the attacker is very powerful or the target very weak. Delvers can't do this unless the target is still alive, otherwise the device itself needs to be retrieved.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2013, 02:10:40 pm by GUNINANRUNIN »

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
Re: Scald - You're a Corporate Spy 3,000 Years in the Future
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2013, 04:11:52 am »

- Lore -
The year is 5132, and you've been hired by a corporation as an agent to carry out their will. They will task you with certain deeds, and you're free to go about completing the task using any means at your disposal. You may request or be granted assets as needed, but don't expect much help at first. This game is all about climbing the ladder.

Earth. Its your typical cyberpunk universe. The land is entirely urbanised, and the world is shrouded in perpetual darkness due to the abuse its undergone, and though there are acid rains pretty much every day, technology allows humans to continue to live normal lives.

The entire Milky Way galaxy has been colonised, so there are plenty of places to go. Space travel is common, and you'll actually find yourself being shuttled off world quite often.

As for our solar system, Mars has been terraformed over a stretch of more than 500 years, and is now treasured as the new 'Earth', its landscape lush and fertile. It is heavily populated, though the number of people is harshly regulated in an effort to preserve its natural beauty. You might compare it to today's society. The moon is a haven for low-lives, pirates and mercenaries ever since a treaty was recently passed, finally allowing ships to land there, though no businesses were interested in what became knows as 'the Last Relic of Old Earth', and freeloaders quickly took it up as their home.

Hacking is prevalent, and as a criminal occupation its actually quite profitable. Most never get tracked down due to the sheer number of them, and daily attempts on the average bank account number in the hundreds or even thousands, and thus most people just rely on passive network security. Corporations almost never fall victim to digital theft, and when they do, they normally respond in force.

The police on Earth is controlled, due to centuries of corporate undermining via political policies, as well as corruption through bribery or even blackmail. Law enforcement on other worlds is much more strict, being run by a galactic organisation known as the Star League, formed and outsourced in order to avoid control by business, and their resources are vast due to mandatory government funding and massive popular support. The populace generally looks up to them, though they have been known for their brutality. Despite all this, there is some corruption within the Star League, and there are sectors where people with enemies in high places tend to go missing.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2013, 06:34:03 pm by GUNINANRUNIN »

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2013, 04:12:40 am »

Players (7/8): RAM, Xantalos, Harry Baldman, kingfisher1112, Jembot, Zako, gman8181
Waitlist: Sentient Bowtie
« Last Edit: July 25, 2013, 06:09:29 am by GUNINANRUNIN »

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2013, 04:21:38 am »

Name: Tobias Wilhelm
Appearance: Large, muscular, and overweight. Black hair, black eyes, black skin, black leather suit. Minor modifications to life in space.
Background: Pilot.
Bio: Born on a ship, which was lost, along with parents, during teen years. Have been getting work with any crew that will have me since.
Association: Ysgra Corporation
Psychic Potential: Kinesis
Goals: I want to get my own ship, customise it until everything is just right, and then build up enough resources to be free to spend the rest of my days exploring the great beyond.
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2013, 04:23:41 am »

Oh boy. PTW and possible character incoming.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2013, 04:25:57 am »

Looking forward to it!

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2013, 04:26:57 am »

Looking forward to it!
By later I mean tomorrow at the earliest, though.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2013, 04:29:29 am »

Looking forward to it!
By later I mean tomorrow at the earliest, though.
Still looking forward to it!

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2013, 05:09:56 am »

Name: William Churchill, commonly called Little Billy Churchill or worse, Little Charlie Hopkins

Appearance: a young man, about 22 years old, 1 meter and 80 centimeters tall, slightly chubby. Age hasn't been kind to him - though he most certainly may have looked rather endearing as a child, now he just looks weird and slightly unusual. He has a very prominent stubble, and he usually wears a red baseball cap and the uniform of whatever place he happens to be working at on any given week. Currently, the honor of being Billy's employer belongs to Yang's Bakery and boy, does Billy look quite sour in its characteristic white delivery boy's outfit.

Background: currently working at a bakery as a cake delivery boy, formerly a successful child actor.

Bio: born in a small family on the less pleasant side of town, Billy always knew he would grow up to do something great, something special. As it turns out, he didn't quite have to grow up. Being an uncharacteristically handsome child with an uncharacteristically pleasant voice, he discovered his love for theater at the age of six, and at the age of eight he was already an established member of the junior troupe. A decent actor, not a bad singer and a rather good dancer, he became one of the more popular character actors among his peers. He was only nine when he appeared in his first commercial, one for Terricorp Instant Oodles of Noodles, aired on the interconnected and integrated multimedia network. This was followed by several more, and then by a few bit parts in several shows as an endearing, cynical tyke that the public couldn't help but love. And then, at the tender age of ten, a few executives came up with an amazing idea - the Little Charlie Hopkins Show, the show that would finally grant little Billy his much-needed time in the spotlight. With his disturbingly unchildlike behavior and fondness for black humor, little Billy became extremely famous, and soon rather rich as well. However, times went by and Billy grew - by the age of 15, he was already a rather tall, hairy teenager, and the routine just didn't cut it anymore. So, after about two more years of desperately clinging onto brutal violence and other cliche, uninspired gimmicks, the Not-So-Little Charlie Hopkins Show died a quiet, overdue death, abandoning its time slot, never to return. And with the show died Billy's career, such as it was. He couldn't get work, not having the acting chops or the requisite respect to get into movies, and his wellspring of comedy had dried up completely. So he got into producing and investing, which he was also terrible at. By the age of 19, he had lost all of the money he had earned in his ventures, so he had to sell his downtown apartment to pay off any lingering debts, then get a cheaper one in the lower quarters. Also, he had to get an actual job, something which caused him no end of grief. Luckily, the world will always need cake delivery boys.

And just when Little Billy thought his life had settled into a nice groove, he was struck by a surprise in his regular physical and mental checkup mandated by his health service provider, Pan. After sticking him in various devices and sticking him with various devices, not to mention asking him several questions, the doctor said that he had something called psychic potential. That was the first time anyone said he had potential since he was twelve years old. Curious, Billy asked what that meant. The doctor told him that he'd contact him soon with details. That, or one of his representatives. And he did! He made Billy a job offer! Real clandestine-like, they said he could manipulate minds and stuff. Eager to get the most out of his newfound, heretofore unknown talent, he signed right up. Hey, beats subsisting on cake delivery.

Association: Pan Corporation

Psychic Potential: Delving

Goals: any jobs and activities will do, but hardcore psychic shit preferred (though go a little easy on him first, so he can get used to being a hardcore psychic). Both as a short-term and long-term goal. Because it sounds awesome!

Will this do?
« Last Edit: June 28, 2013, 06:38:30 am by Harry Baldman »

kingfisher1112

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2013, 06:43:00 am »

Name: Scott Simmons
Appearance: His face is rounded, but hard, and also a bit tanned. It's obvious he's lived a while, the crows feet, wrinkles and other such indications all around. He is usually seen with a synthcig between his lips, while his eyes dart around the room. The rest of him also indicates his personality, he walks with a limp, and is upright and alert. His hair is grey and short, and his eyes are a dull green. Finally, a very noir trenchcoat adorns his body and on special occasions, a fedora.
Background: Private Security. ( Bodyguard, investigator...)
Bio: Born on the Moon to mercenary parents, he quickly got into violence at a young age. Scraps with other kids, bigger kids, and running away from adults were all favourites. He entered a complete rebel phase where he very nearly got killed by a gang, and now stays well away from crime. He took up smoking after that, and moved to Earth and the urban jungle. Got into retail for a while, tried the police, but eventually ended up as a security director for a small time company. He split off after the manager died of disease and the company was liquidated, spending his funds on a nice apartment and saved up. However, the bank is running dry. It's time for work.
Association: Hokoto Arms International
Psychic Potential: Delving (affecting people's minds)
Goals: What kinds of jobs or activities to you want to be involved in?
Investigation, and espionage. Deep cover missions, potential break ins, assassination.
I honestly thought this was going to be about veterinarians.
Ermey: 26/4/13

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
Re: Scald (RPG) - You're a Corporate Spy 3,000 Years in the Future
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2013, 06:06:44 pm »

Added a new corporation to choose from.

Jembot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2013, 06:13:48 pm »

PTW and sheet will come in when I get on my computer in 4-5 hours
You people are insane.
Hello there, we're Bay12! So pleased to meet you!

gman8181

• Bay Watcher
  • Mr. Peanut - The Peanut Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2013, 07:18:35 pm »

I'd love to join but won't have time to make a decent character sheet until tomorrow.  I would greatly appreciate a reserved spot though!
Quote from: GUNINANRUNIN
Sure thing peanut man!

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2013, 07:34:56 pm »

I'm sure the spots will still be open by tomorrow.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2013, 12:27:47 am »

I'm liking the sheets so far, and I think the 'goals' thing was a good idea (one that I stole :D).
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13