Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Mystery Death  (Read 3289 times)

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Mystery Death
« on: June 30, 2013, 10:52:26 pm »

I just had a VERY odd death.  During a fight with a forgotten beast, one of my marksdwarves bled to death.  She was the third soldier to die in the confrontation, but she wasn't listed in the fight at all.  I know she was there, because her armor was left behind after the battle. The memorial stated that it was an iron spear, though none of the soldiers in her squad wield spears and the forgotten beast was one made of green glass. Usually Legends mode also states who struck the killing bow, but nada in this case.  Anyone else have a case where a death didn't match up with the cause?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

ORCACommander

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:TORTURE_ELVES: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
Re: Mystery Death
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2013, 11:28:17 pm »

only thing i can think of is animal men or your dwarf failed to doge a spear trap you may have set.

also this script should interest you

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=7245

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2013, 11:54:50 pm »

No animal men and no weapons traps (I've never even built one for this fortress).  So strange!  Oh, and thanks for the link!  Does it work well with r18?
« Last Edit: June 30, 2013, 11:56:54 pm by VerdantSF »

itg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2013, 12:07:01 am »

Usually when dwarves suddenly bleed to death with an FB involved it's one of the many exsanguinating syndromes. Maybe the memorial is just wrong. It's conceivable that the iron spear is a sort of placeholder death cause. You're sure there was no combat log for this dwarf?

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2013, 12:31:43 am »

You're sure there was no combat log for this dwarf?

Absolutely sure.  I went through the gamelog.txt file and there is nothing between her activating for duty before that last fight and her death :(.

ORCACommander

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:TORTURE_ELVES: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2013, 01:13:18 am »

r18? Verdant are you a time traveler of some sort? well as far as i can tell this was written for a version prior to even df 34.11 but it works just fine with r 3

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2013, 01:33:21 am »

I have a theory: was he stabbed seriously with a spear a long time ago?  Check for a scar, if you don't remember. I theorize the whole body bleeding out was processed by the game as bleeding from the last recorded significant stab wound.
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2013, 01:57:50 am »

r18? Verdant are you a time traveler of some sort? well as far as i can tell this was written for a version prior to even df 34.11 but it works just fine with r 3

Oops, I misread that as "LNP r2" hehe.

I have a theory: was he stabbed seriously with a spear a long time ago?  Check for a scar, if you don't remember. I theorize the whole body bleeding out was processed by the game as bleeding from the last recorded significant stab wound.

Interesting theory.  Unfortunately, I have no body, as it was burned away during the fight between the fb and dragon :(.  The only back-up saves I have are abandoned forts for legends mode.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2013, 02:33:01 am »

1. Search your fortress for an iron spear. See if it has any listed kills. Whose spear is it, and where did it come from?

2. Most people don't delete their gamelog.txt, so search it for the dwarf's name or for "iron spear". Was that dwarf ever in contact with an iron spear?

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2013, 02:48:09 am »

There was only 1 iron spear in the fortress that belonged to a goblin spearman.  The rest had been melted a long time ago to make steel.  No kills listed on that spear.  I also went through the gamelog.txt file.  It's hard to tell since fights are also listed under the profession name, rather than individual, and other marksdwarves have always been around her.  Sigh.  Definitely a headscratcher.  Thanks for the suggestions, though.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 02:50:43 am by VerdantSF »

Hostialan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2013, 01:02:50 pm »

Maybe she commited suicide?

Jakob

• Bay Watcher
  • !!FABULOUS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2013, 09:26:00 pm »

This is like the opening to a weird dwarven CSI.

HAMMERDWARF HORATIO CAINE IS HERE TO SOLVE THE CASE.
Build a replica of the Krusty Krab around the creature, then lock prisoners customers inside it so that the sponge can mutilate them take their order.

nightwhips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2013, 10:09:37 pm »

Did the FB have a deadly dust? This would be the most parsimonious explanation, no matter what the slab says.
: Miner dwarves? In my volcano?

:I put childs into danger room...
They die, and their parents care nothing because legendary dining room.

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2013, 10:25:26 pm »

I want Dwarven CSI to be a thing now. :O
Quote from: Dwarfotaur
Everytime one of my militia has given birth in the Danger Room, it's lead to instant baby smoothies for everyone.

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2013, 10:25:29 pm »

Did the FB have a deadly dust? This would be the most parsimonious explanation, no matter what the slab says.

Nope, it had webs.
Pages: [1] 2