Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: smithing weapons and objects  (Read 6830 times)

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
smithing weapons and objects
« on: July 13, 2001, 09:41:00 pm »

ok, ive always been under the impression that, a fire has to be hella' hot to melt most metals, such as gold silver stell iron etc, but what i dont understand how people in the days of armok (predating super hot furnace mobiles) got the fires so hot! another thing is, what happens if you try to melt rusted metal? fun trick would to be to dip your hand in some liquid gold, and if you were a regenerating type race (troll or something) could cut it off and sell it. repeat until filthy, stinking rich. another thing, for the language and talking and the like, instead of making up a whole diffrent language per race, why not just have what your charecter hear out of them random jibberish, and when theyre proficiant in the language (making a succesful orcish language roll) itll just be normal english. some things i demand? MY OWN VOMIT COVERING AN ENTIRE VILLAGE AND GOUNGING OUT A GUARDS EYE WITH HIS OWN BROKEN OFF RIB! hey that could be armoks slogan, could also toss in something about sking wearing if you want but hey, its your game

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
Re: smithing weapons and objects
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2001, 02:07:00 pm »

http://www.regia.org/listings.htm

There's some stuff there about how the Vikings, etc. did things that might come in handy.

Alanor can come back to the chemistry questions.

I'll get back to the language stuff later, gotta split for a few hours...

The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2001, 04:04:00 pm »

How would you procure such copious amounts of your own vomit?  That would be quite an enterprise in and of itself.  You'd either have to go bulemic for a long time, and find some way to keep the vomit from rotting away, or use some kind of magical trick to duplicate some vomit that's on hand.  The rib isn't so bad...  I just have to make the game recognize the fact that the broken surface of the rib is jagged and better used for gouging than clubbing.

With the languages, I could just make random jibberish.  It would be more detailed to make the jibberish less random, with racial features (orcs use low back vowels, while elves use more high front vowels, etc.)  Like anything, there are:

a) the level necessary to get the game running (all creatures speak straight English/whatever text)
b) the level sufficient to make the game complicated and interesting (the level you mentioned)
c) the level that we aspire to (something even more complicated than what either of us mentioned)

In order for Armok to run, all things must be brought up to the "a" category, while some things creep up to "b" to make it fun to playtest.  Then we bring things up to "b" while letting a few "c"'s slip in.  By that time, I'll probably be dead.  Whether or not language is one of the things that slips beyond the level you describe remains to be seen...

Right now, we're just pounding things to death.

The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Alanor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2001, 11:21:00 am »

As to the rusty metal thing...
Rusty iron is just iron oxide..
if you heat it up enough it will melt..
the oxygen will float up and BURN off hte top of the metal
this will give you a nice mixture of iron and gasses..
the key is that you drop some carbon into hte mix.. and when it cools the carbon mixes with the oxygen.. instead of the iron..
this is what allows you to make steel!
Alanor
Blood Priest of Armok