Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 33

Author Topic: ROLL TO CONVERT (Sign-ups Are Closed)  (Read 53020 times)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Re: ROLL TO CONVERT
« Reply #150 on: July 10, 2013, 05:00:47 pm »

Poor you, thinking Mary was a virgin. Jesus may have been God's son, but you know what that means he and Mary must have done...

/jokinglymockingChristianity
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: July 10, 2013, 05:04:31 pm »

Are we allowed to knock up our followers?
That escalated quickly.

Also, inb4 Virgin Mary style prophet lol.

Better question: can we knock up all of our followers at once? We are gods, after all.

Really, what problem couldn't you solve with a swarm of Messiahs?

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: July 10, 2013, 05:07:46 pm »

Starvation. I assume that a point of limited returns exists with them creating food.

More generally, overpopulation.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: July 10, 2013, 05:12:56 pm »

That escalated quickly.

Better question: can we knock up all of our followers at once? We are gods, after all.

Ahem, didn't really work for these guys.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: July 10, 2013, 05:17:07 pm »

Starvation. I assume that a point of limited returns exists with them creating food.

More generally, overpopulation.

Eh, starvation is something a Messiah can certainly solve. Multiplication of fish and so on. Particularly if you get them working together in an organized miracle line.

And overpopulation they can also solve - you know that thing Jesus did with the fig tree he didn't like? Imagine that with people.

Ahem, didn't really work for these guys.

Oh? How so? I don't recall demigods being that much of a bother for the gods themselves (at least, not the gods that spawned them), though I could be wrong.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: July 10, 2013, 05:42:29 pm »

1. Again, I'm imagining a point of diminishing returns.

2. Okay, yeah, but it would be more efficient to simply call down another Flood. And not terribly moral.
Sig

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: July 10, 2013, 06:05:11 pm »

That escalated quickly.

Also, they wouldn't be Messiahs, because Jesus was fully god yet fully man. He wasn't a demi-god, part-god, part-man. he was implanted in Mary's womb, God certainly did not knock up Mary. If he had then he would have been only part god. Jesus was fully god. And the only reason he was born from Mary was so he could experience the life of a human from before birth.

Also, yes I am a Christian. And yes I am running a game where you all are monotheistic gods. So please keep the making fun of Christianity or any other monotheistic religion to a minimum. Trying to make yourself like fictional religions like Pastafarianism, Bay12ism, or Mormonism is okay. Except Mormonism is kind of polytheistic so that may not work.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: July 10, 2013, 06:10:14 pm »

Well, yeah, and the Messiah and an actual son of God aren't really the same thing. Anybody can be a messiah - that just means a savior or a liberator, and many people got named that as the people of Judea and Israel latched onto charismatic rebel leaders and so forth.

Also, we're hardly monotheistic gods if we're fighting each other, are we? Best we can shoot for is henotheism, really.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: July 10, 2013, 06:11:10 pm »

Any time that gods acknowledge each others' existence is technically polytheism.
Sig

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: July 10, 2013, 06:15:06 pm »

What happens if you murder every other God? Would that be a lapsed polytheism or monotheism (After a period of time)?

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: July 10, 2013, 06:15:36 pm »

What happens if you murder every other God? Would that be a lapsed polytheism or monotheism (After a period of time)?

klingon monotheism

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: July 10, 2013, 06:16:43 pm »

Well, yeah, and the Messiah and an actual son of God aren't really the same thing. Anybody can be a messiah - that just means a savior or a liberator, and many people got named that as the people of Judea and Israel latched onto charismatic rebel leaders and so forth.

Also, we're hardly monotheistic gods if we're fighting each other, are we? Best we can shoot for is henotheism, really.

Well what's interesting is that in the ancient world a lot of gods were shared around. Rome had a ceremony where they basically stole deities from other cities to their side. That's how they got their pantheon of gods. Also, the cult of Hercules-Melquart was a really popular Phoenician and Carthaginian cult. And one of the many problems of the Israelites was that they often worshipped several gods including Yahweh like a Baal or Ashtoreth. That's why the first commandment is I am the Lord your God. Thou shall have no other gods but me (paraphrased).
Sigtext

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: July 10, 2013, 06:21:32 pm »

(Which is, incidentally, one of the reasons I find Christianity itself more irritating than, say, Greek mythology. Right after how many modern Christians seem to selectively pay attention to the Bible and forget about other parts.)
Sig

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: July 10, 2013, 06:24:36 pm »

(Which is, incidentally, one of the reasons I find Christianity itself more irritating than, say, Greek mythology. Right after how many modern Christians seem to selectively pay attention to the Bible and forget about other parts.)
What part, the multiple gods thing?
Sigtext

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: July 10, 2013, 06:25:55 pm »

Still henotheism if the people know you murdered them, I think (monolatrism, to be specific) - you have one god you worship, but you acknowledge that there are other gods that exist or have existed. If nobody knows there have been other gods, it would probably become monotheism for the people. Kinda like one of the theories how Judaism apparently developed - the Yahweh worshippers got rid of the worshippers of other gods over time and established their cult as the only valid one in the area by law.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 33