Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 33

Author Topic: ROLL TO CONVERT (Sign-ups Are Closed)  (Read 52521 times)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Re: ROLL TO CONVERT
« Reply #165 on: July 10, 2013, 06:27:14 pm »

(Which is, incidentally, one of the reasons I find Christianity itself more irritating than, say, Greek mythology. Right after how many modern Christians seem to selectively pay attention to the Bible and forget about other parts.)
What part, the multiple gods thing?
No, the denial that other gods could exist. Very discriminatory, and probably contributed to their negative treatment of "pagans".
Hm, come to think of it, that makes it worse than the partly-ignoring-Bible thing.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: July 10, 2013, 06:35:48 pm »

It's funny how we managed to have a religious discussion in an RTD. One would think this would happen in a Godhood or a less fast-paced forum game about gods.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: July 10, 2013, 06:38:06 pm »

This is Bay12. Frankly, I'm a bit surprised that we didn't get into a biological discussion on how a dog could talk.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: July 10, 2013, 06:40:02 pm »

No, the denial that other gods could exist. Very discriminatory, and probably contributed to their negative treatment of "pagans".
Hm, come to think of it, that makes it worse than the partly-ignoring-Bible thing.

To be fair, most religions do that due to worldview incompatibility. It's only in cases where people hardly care about the ideological part of things and merely do the rituals for practical reasons or out of habit, like in the case of the Romans, where you can have religions actually be compatible with each other, with the possible exception of the Abrahamic religions which come from the same mold and are thus entirely possible to work into one another.

Still, the natural progression is that the more devout a religion's (or a particular worldview's, it can really be anything) followers, the more intolerant they become toward other, incompatible worldviews. You can hardly blame the worldview itself for it, the problem lies in the interpretation.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: July 10, 2013, 06:43:32 pm »

Religion is more than worldview. Anyways, I fail to see anything in Christianity that prevents other gods from existing save the bits which specifically claim such.
Sig

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: July 10, 2013, 06:55:33 pm »

Religion is more than worldview. Anyways, I fail to see anything in Christianity that prevents other gods from existing save the bits which specifically claim such.

Religion is a worldview plus a set of rituals to go with it, essentially.

And it all depends on how you interpret it. The Bible doesn't mention any other gods except as false idols, I think, though I could certainly be wrong, and there might be apocryphal stuff that says the opposite thing. But religions, as you undoubtedly know, produce a lot of fanfics, and some of them can get really weird.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: July 10, 2013, 07:01:19 pm »

And it all depends on how you interpret it. The Bible doesn't mention any other gods except as false idols, I think, though I could certainly be wrong, and there might be apocryphal stuff that says the opposite thing. But religions, as you undoubtedly know, produce a lot of fanfics, and some of them can get really weird.
Agreed. That's one problem I have with people who try and separate religion from everything else, is because religion or lack of affects how you view things.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: July 10, 2013, 07:02:37 pm »

I can't help but have this vague feeling that God is the only non-idol god because all other gods are just idols. The most well-known example is how the Egyptians managed to almost match Moses's God-given feats at first. Despite eventually failing, they did manage to keep up for a while, which suggests that these "idols" had power, if less than God.

Agreed. That's one problem I have with people who try and separate religion from everything else, is because religion or lack of affects how you view things.
Isn't that why religion is important? And that fact more affects looking at anything else without religion than the other way around.
Sig

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: July 10, 2013, 07:05:06 pm »

I can't help but have this vague feeling that God is the only non-idol god because all other gods are just idols. The most well-known example is how the Egyptians managed to almost match Moses's God-given feats at first. Despite eventually failing, they did manage to keep up for a while, which suggests that these "idols" had power, if less than God.
Oh, the Pharaoh's priests turning their staffs into snakes along with Aaron and Moses, and then Aaron's snake ate their snakes.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: July 10, 2013, 07:08:10 pm »

I'm pretty sure they managed to match the effects of the first few Plagues, as well. I think it was around the boils that they gave up. Possibly because they would be ostracized for weakness if they failed and giving people boils if they succeeded.

Regardless, the priests turned staves into snakes. They were smaller snakes, and evidently Aaron brought out a king cobra or something, but they turned staves into snakes nonetheless.
Sig

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: July 10, 2013, 07:12:37 pm »

I'm pretty sure they managed to match the effects of the first few Plagues, as well. I think it was around the boils that they gave up. Possibly because they would be ostracized for weakness if they failed and giving people boils if they succeeded.

Regardless, the priests turned staves into snakes. They were smaller snakes, and evidently Aaron brought out a king cobra or something, but they turned staves into snakes nonetheless.
and I'm pretty sure they didn't match the plagues.
Sigtext

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: July 10, 2013, 07:20:01 pm »

Imma sign up for dis thing right here.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: July 10, 2013, 07:21:05 pm »

Check Exodus. Chapter 7, verse 22; Chapter 8, verse 7. Turns out, they failed at gnats, although 9:11 suggests the "magicians" (by the translation I grabbed) didn't make boils because of their boils, and their attempts (if any) are not mentioned for any other plagues. Possibly because it would be kinda dumb to kill what livestock remained or whatever just to make a point.
Sig

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: July 10, 2013, 09:17:18 pm »

I suggest making Boobs the last legitimate god.
There is something wrong about this sentence.
There is absolutely nothing wrong with that sentence.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: July 10, 2013, 09:23:54 pm »

Any time that gods acknowledge each others' existence is technically polytheism.
I don't acknowledge any of you as gods. Mere pretenders, at best. Boobs is the only one worthy to be called god. I am two, I am one, I am all.
(irl - Christian.) I am eagerly awaiting the results of my first action.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2013, 09:27:29 pm by Ozarck »
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 33