Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Drumseer the Contemptible Loot, a lead mace  (Read 4850 times)

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Drumseer the Contemptible Loot, a lead mace
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2013, 12:40:49 am »

I have never been able to survive more than a few rooms in nethack.

It's F'in brutal.  My poor kitty... it dies so many horrible ways. :(

The thing to remember in NetHack is, you're not the protagonist, you're just another creature.  You don't get plot armor, you live or die based on how clever and resourceful you are.  There is no shame in making frequent use of dust Elbereth, and tactical running like a little girl.

On topic, that is a sweet artifact.  I like how the dwarfs named it like it's a piece of crap, too.
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2013, 12:41:58 am »

I'd like to think they're just being ironic :).

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2013, 03:08:44 am »

So, how does it work for turning goblins inside out?

Quite well, once the goblins got their act together and sieged again!  I really like how the wielder's last name is Vesselbrain, given how she's always braining enemies.

PDF urist master

• Bay Watcher
  • Born from cold iron
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2013, 06:11:01 am »

man i wished i had something like that.

i wonder if dwarves know that denser objects are more effective blunt weapons
« Last Edit: July 03, 2013, 06:15:37 am by PDF urist master »
We are not evil by choice, but evil by necessity.

Drazinononda

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm really too normal to play this game so much.`
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2013, 08:37:28 am »

You could give yourself a maximum number of savescums, like 3. That way you have to settle on the 3rd one, even if it's an artifact turd.

That's what I do. My maximum is 0.
Children you rescue shouldn't behave like rabid beasts.  I guess your regular companions shouldn't act like rabid beasts either.
I think that's a little more impossible than I'm likely to have time for.

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2013, 01:03:23 am »

You could give yourself a maximum number of savescums, like 3. That way you have to settle on the 3rd one, even if it's an artifact turd.

I go with 0, too.
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2013, 08:53:04 am »

I go with 0, too.

0 is good.

Gargomaxthalus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2013, 01:34:17 pm »

The solution there is to savescum just as the mood hits.

You can then DFHack die, and then load from the save repeatedly, until you get a weapon/metal combination you find favorable.

Like the fabled platinum whip. :D

This can backfire. One of the overseers of Spearbreakers savescummed while a future Overseer was mooding, and it lead to some really cool story telling on top of what was already going on. A bug caused the moody Dwarf to go mad after having started to make the artifact. Great !!FUN!! and many fun short stories followed.
Well lets see... at least half of what I say is complete bullshit. Hell the other half tends to be pretty sketchy...

OOOOHHHH,JUST SHUT UP AND LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AND MAYBE I'LL GO AWAY!!!!!!!!!!

javascript:void(0)
javascript:void(0)

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2013, 12:45:02 pm »

My fortress seems to have a thing for lead maces.  I just got another one, despite there being tons more steel around the magma forge.  Oh you, RNG.

Innoketol, "The Creepy Pass", a lead mace
This is a lead mace.  All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality.  It is encircled with bands of lead, llama wool and round dolomite cabochons.  This object menaces with spikes of oak, clear glass, dolomite, alpaca bone and brown zircon.

Maw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2013, 08:34:42 pm »

Early in my current fort I had galena everywhere, so I had a large supply of silver (warhammers!) and lead.

The 7th mood I got was a weaponsmith, who forged:
Rashtost Fashukenseb, Dievises the Mean Bases, a lead war hammer.  Was unfortunate that I didn't have much else available.

"This is a lead war hammer.  All craftsmanship is of the highest quality.  On the item is an image of oaks in lead."

Worth is only 4560.

Mind, since then I've gotten two bone crossbows, a rose gold crossbow, and nearly outfitted my champion hammerer (to be) in artifact steel armour, giant CS silk cloak and hood, and leather braise plus turban...
The three stages of information assimilation in bay 12:
1)horror
2)curiosity
3)weaponization

Repseki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2013, 04:38:19 am »

Never thought decking out the Hammerer in artifact gear.. then again I usually forget to check the mood skills on a large number of my dwarves and end up with a significant number of rock trinkets.

Would the artifact equipment make the dwarves getting Hammered, or any watching, any happier about it? It would be nice if everything they were wearing was so stunning to nearby dwarves that they totally ignored someone getting bludgeoned.

coldmonkey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 08, 2013, 05:06:06 am »

man i wished i had something like that.

i wonder if dwarves know that denser objects are more effective blunt weapons
So you're saying an artifact mace made from a dwarven skull would be even better?
I found a human city named Sleevevirgins. It was easily the biggest city in the world, so clearly I wasn't the first person to come inside the city's walls.

Maw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 08, 2013, 08:29:12 am »

Never thought decking out the Hammerer in artifact gear.. then again I usually forget to check the mood skills on a large number of my dwarves and end up with a significant number of rock trinkets.

Would the artifact equipment make the dwarves getting Hammered, or any watching, any happier about it? It would be nice if everything they were wearing was so stunning to nearby dwarves that they totally ignored someone getting bludgeoned.

If refering to my post:
Not the Hammerer noble - the Champion noble.

The Hammerer deserves an adamantine hammer (or a light wooden one) so as to be ineffective as possible :)

Champion is there to look good and give good thoughts.  I also look at the champ as the premier warrior I have.
The three stages of information assimilation in bay 12:
1)horror
2)curiosity
3)weaponization

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 08, 2013, 12:02:28 pm »

The Hammerer deserves an adamantine hammer (or a light wooden one) so as to be ineffective as possible :)

It's no longer guaranteed that the Hammerer uses the the hammer you've equipped him or her with.  When I had my first execution, my hammerer grabbed an iron hammer from the weapons stash, even though she had a steel hammer in hand.  She crushed the criminal's head, then promptly returned the borrowed hammer.  I'm generally a care bear, but when it comes to justice, I fully expect my hammerer to at least break some bones.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2013, 12:04:23 pm by VerdantSF »
Pages: 1 [2]