Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Drumseer the Contemptible Loot, a lead mace  (Read 4791 times)

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Drumseer the Contemptible Loot, a lead mace
« on: July 02, 2013, 05:56:38 pm »

I've been playing DF for quite some time, but I've never gotten a decent melee artifact weapon (I've gotten a few good ranged ones).  I don't use burrow restrictions or forbid materials to influence what's created, partly because I like to be surprised, but mostly because I'm lazy and can't be bothered to fine tune strange moods.  When I saw that lead was the first material taken to the forge my heart sank.  My last melee artifact was a turkey bone axe and the one before that was a silver sword :(.  I was really starting to rethink my hands-off approach to artifacts.  Then the RNG blessed me with this:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Talinabras Gishgilutir "Drumseer the Contemptible Loot" a lead mace

This is a lead mace.  All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality.  It is encrusted with rose cut tanzanites and round gabbro cabochons and encircled with bands of lead, oval cobaltite cabochons and saguaro rib wood.  This object menaces with spikes of goblin bone and dolomite.  On the item is an  image of ashes in dragon bone.

It's no PrideUnited, but lead is still denser than silver, so this will do :D

The one thing I did influence was the choice of bone.  The goblin bones were the last of any type in my fortress at the time, so I selected two alpacas to be butchered.  I totally forgot about the dragon that was recently slain.  The dragon corpse and the alpacas were within sight of the butcher's shop at the same time, so I spared the alpacas for another day.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2013, 06:18:43 pm by VerdantSF »

nightwhips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Drumseer the Contemptible Loot, a lead mace
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2013, 06:37:01 pm »

I really like how, when you finally get a good artifact, the dwarves misname it. Contemptible? Granite-studded thongs are contemptible. Lead maces are not.
: Miner dwarves? In my volcano?

:I put childs into danger room...
They die, and their parents care nothing because legendary dining room.

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2013, 06:41:26 pm »

I do like the Drumseer part, though.  Like it's being used in battle to tap a little tune on goblin heads :).

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2013, 06:44:23 pm »

So, how does it work for turning goblins inside out?

itg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2013, 06:49:41 pm »

I really like how, when you finally get a good artifact, the dwarves misname it. Contemptible? Granite-studded thongs are contemptible. Lead maces are not.

Hehe, how about Ruinedstood the Worthless Cuts, the adamantine battle axe? On topic, that's a pretty sweet mace.

Melzer

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAN_POST][CURIOUSBEAST_POSTER][FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2013, 06:50:51 pm »

My solve to artifact weapon material problems is forbidding. When I get an announcement "Taken by fey mood blah blah blah", I follow him and watch him get the materials. If I don't like the metal he's using I forbid the bar. I repeat this until I get a suitable metal.

Thuellai

• Bay Watcher
  • Nobody's business but the Turks
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2013, 06:55:41 pm »

My solve to artifact weapon material problems is forbidding. When I get an announcement "Taken by fey mood blah blah blah", I follow him and watch him get the materials. If I don't like the metal he's using I forbid the bar. I repeat this until I get a suitable metal.

Makes sense.

One of these days I'll invest in finding a weaponsmith who likes whips (or a dwarf who likes whips and will make a decent weaponsmith) and arrange for them to mood with some platinum

Make myself a lightsaber.
When you're following an angel, does it mean you have to throw your body off a building?

"So kids, what story do you want me to read to you tonight?"
"Oooh!  Oooh!  Goldibeard and the The Rotting Corpses!"
~LegacyCWAL

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2013, 07:08:36 pm »

Make myself a lightsaber.

It'll probably be named something like "Feathertap, the soothing caresses."

So, how does it work for turning goblins inside out?

Waiting on a siege.  Of course, when I want one, the goblins decide to take their sweet time.  I gave Drumseer to Dishmab Vesselbrain, my fort's first legendary macedwarf.  She's already a beast and #2 in notable kills with 223.  Former Commander Sphalerite reached 316 before he was killed by an FB.  Dishmab is in her eighties, so she has plenty of time to take the lead with the lead mace.

GrimDark_Majyyks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2013, 07:13:57 pm »

Oh hey that is pretty excellent for not having any mood control. I especially enjoy that it has goblin bone spikes on it, which certainly adds some extra appeal with regard to it's impending function.

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2013, 07:25:10 pm »

I'm not completely averse to the idea, but how do you know what they're going to make?  The creator of Drumseer doesn't have any weapon preferences.  If I had adamantine, I could've chosen that and been sorely disappointed.  Or what if I chose platinum, but ended up with an axe? 

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2013, 07:28:30 pm »

The solution there is to savescum just as the mood hits.

You can then DFHack die, and then load from the save repeatedly, until you get a weapon/metal combination you find favorable.

Like the fabled platinum whip. :D

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2013, 08:10:06 pm »

Savescumming isn't for me.  I was a diehard (and die-easily, heh) nethack player back in the day.  I never savescummed and it took me 10 years to beat it.  Not that I played it continuously that entire time by any means, but you get the idea.  Not that I would cast aspersions on anyone for savescumming.  Different strokes for different folks and all that good stuff :).

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2013, 08:12:04 pm »

I have never been able to survive more than a few rooms in nethack.

It's F'in brutal.  My poor kitty... it dies so many horrible ways. :(

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2013, 08:33:38 pm »

The worst was when I got my first cockatrice corpse and thought I was invincible.  I was smacking things left and right and turning all enemies to stone... then I went downstairs and fell due to being encumbered, faceplanting on the weaponized corpse and turning myself to stone :(.

Deepblade

• Bay Watcher
  • Tholtarmid
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2013, 12:08:49 am »

You could give yourself a maximum number of savescums, like 3. That way you have to settle on the 3rd one, even if it's an artifact turd.
Deepblade's Standardized Creature Parts, for when you're pissed about all the different types of animal products there are.
Pages: [1] 2