Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9

Author Topic: Crazy D&D Stories  (Read 50870 times)

flame99

• Bay Watcher
  • Lady Stardust & her songs of darkness and disgrace
    • View Profile
Crazy D&D Stories
« on: July 04, 2013, 12:04:14 am »

Post some of the craziest, most awesome, or stupidest things that you, or other players did while playing D&D or another TRPG.

Mine would have to be when my players were visiting the Elven king to find information on the demons they were supposed to be slaying. The rogue, a half-orc, decides to try and pickpocket the king. Namely, he wanted to steal his throne. That, by the way, he was currently sitting in. We were playing with the variant that skill checks were prone to automatic successes or failures. So, I decide that, being a virtually impossible task, he needed an 80+. He, of course, rolls a natural 20, steals his throne, and then bombs his move silently check to get out with it. This then lead to a kingdom of angry elves hunting the "Heroes" down (They were mostly neutral, with one evil (The rogue, as you might guess)).
It/its, they/them, in order of preference.

Not gay as in happy, queer as in fuck you.

Slayerhero90

• Bay Watcher
  • Time for Taako's opinion.
    • View Profile
Re: Crazy D&D Stories
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2013, 12:05:52 am »

PTW.
My tumblr.
Yeah no I don't haunt here anymore. Peace

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2013, 12:11:30 am »

Well there was that time in Willfor's game when we rammed a colossal half-dragon whale in a sub made of 500 tons of ice(we even forced willfor to pull out the starship ramming rules from d20 future!)
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2013, 12:12:08 am »

Once when I was running a game for my group of players, and they were stranded in the desert after being caught in a sandstorm. They wandered for awhile, until they found a stranded member of the faction they were working against. He tried to attack them despite being harmless and without any real weaponry, and it was implied that he probably knew more about the area and could help since they couldn't find any water. They then proceeded to try to kill him for five minutes, until he tried running away. I planned at that point for him to just disappear, but the players managed to keep up with him, tackle him to the ground, and tie him up. I figured they were going to question him now, but they immediately started discussing how they were going to kill him. One suggested burying him in the sand and leaving him, while another suggested dismemberment. This was all in OOC. Needless to say, they didn't get any water that day.

This is why I both love and hate my current group of players.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2013, 12:18:04 am »

Also, I have a story relating to a crazy trap I has set up in my game involving two metal doors, a spell that created a whole mess of caltrops to cover the floor of a 30x30 room, and another spell that caused whatever that was hit to be violently magnetized and attracted to the nearest metal object-like say, the nearest metal door and oh by the way, the several thousand caltrops littering the floor....>:D
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2013, 12:25:30 am »

I got banned from playing Dungeons and Dragons back with a group in highschool because I decided that "chaotic neutral mage" means "balls to the wall crazy".
My particular character's muse was Magic Missile. If there was any problem, no matter the size or scope, Magic Missile was the answer. Had to open a lock? Magic missile. Had to negotiate with bandits? Magic Missile. Had to save a young boy from dire rats? Magic-motherfucking-Missile.

My party started to resent me for flinging a single spell and then rolling over and resting in the middle of combat, or perhaps it was when the peasant bodies started to stack up when I tried to magic missile them into submission. They however didn't want to ditch me completely because an impending invasion of orcs threatened everything they held dear and they needed every able body they could muster for the mandatory fantasy war.

My adventurer meant his doom when he threw a bag of holding into a major river instead of trying to find a ford. The GM invented some bullshit about a water plane mage being summoned due to my actions and mobbed me with water elementals.
"MAGIC Missillllle!" were my dying words and my final kill was the party paladin as the spell bounced off an elemental. I consider it a win.

The only reason why I used to play with them was to get out of playing school cricket on 40 degree days.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2013, 12:27:01 am by Catastrophic lolcats »

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2013, 12:38:06 am »

Abusing Chaotic Neutral is something Satan would do if Satan were more terrible.
Shoes...

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2013, 12:45:26 am »

I should have probably stated that these were also perhaps the worst and most boring players in history. The sort of GM that refuses to deter from the module unless it only offers more challenge/tedium to the players. The players themselves were the typical min/max vets that just wanted to get through the whole thing as quickly as possible.
Trying to inject humour and the social aspects were only meant with hostility. I feel no remorse for my magic missiles or the targets that met them.

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2013, 03:34:47 am »

In the few D&D sessions I've been to, the ones that ended horrifically due to a stupid stunt were the most fun. Humour is what makes D&D so good.

For example, our party had just finished clearing a graveyard of undead. The neutral good cleric was particularly happy with himself due to his blatant abuse of radiant damage multipliers, the centaur fighter was covered in arrows and the rangers were arguing over who got to pull them out. Off in the background, the rogue had managed to climb up a tree for a good view during the battle. He decided he wanted to get off in style by jumping out of the tree and balancing on a fence with one leg. The DM made him roll twice, once for the dismount and once for the landing. Hilarity ensued when he scored a 20, then a 1. He did a perfect, 10/10 backflip off the tree and sailed gracefully onto the pointy end of a rusty, broken fencepost. The cleric refused to heal him, quoting something about Darwinism and stating that it might be best for that particular set of genes to be removed from the gene pool.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2013, 05:19:25 am by Azated »
Then it happened. Then I cringed. Then I picked it up and beat him to death with it, and then his buddies, too.
You beat a man to death with his dick?

"I don't feel like myself. Maybe I should have Doc take a look at me" ~ Dreamy
 "You're gonna trust a dwarf that got his medical degree from a pickaxe?" ~ Bossy

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2013, 03:45:29 am »

... how, uh. How did he score a zero?
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2013, 03:59:51 am »

PTW

A group of Friends and I have taken our first steps into DnD, I being the DM. I am not a great one, they are not great players, but we are having fun...
Though its kinda annoying for me, I keep having difficulty in balancing the combat so that its fun instead of tedious yet still risky to just charge into the badguys...

The first battle was quite well done, though we were not using the rules completely right, but the second one had more players so I added more Minions into the battle list. Which suddenly overwhelmed them all. Another game, a few had to cut it short early so I removed some mobs off the table which then turned what I had planed to be a mini boss fight into nothing more then a single turn fight. Kinda annoying there too. Heck the Great Weapon Fighter used his daily and pretty much killed the miniboss in one hit...

There is even countless little encounters that can be either quick or suddenly taking forever just to get though that it becomes really annoying for the players and myself...

Regardless we are having fun, but don't really have any true stories to tell yet...

Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Alkhemia

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Deep Sea Diver Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2013, 04:07:38 am »

... how, uh. How did he score a zero?
maybe he rolled a 1 and had a - 1 modifier or something
"Hiken: Tsubame-Gaeshi" -Sasaki Kojirou (Grand Order}

"Please touch me. Without lying, wherever you want to touch. That is my wish." - Kiyohime (Grand Order)

"Tyranny, violation, genocide. Those are the things that I detest above all else." - Amakusa Shirou Tokisada (Grand Order)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2013, 04:10:56 am »

Yeah, I was kinda' thinking that, but... unless it was two different skill checks or each act had different modifiers (which is possible, of course), you'd think the lowest that could roll up would be a 1, since the other one came up as a 20. If they were working off the same modifier and skill, it'd cap out at 19 and 0 or 20 and 1. Or 20 and some number higher than one I guess...

Unless there was more than a single d20 involved, anyway.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2013, 04:57:05 am »

PTW

A group of Friends and I have taken our first steps into DnD, I being the DM. I am not a great one, they are not great players, but we are having fun...
Though its kinda annoying for me, I keep having difficulty in balancing the combat so that its fun instead of tedious yet still risky to just charge into the badguys...

The first battle was quite well done, though we were not using the rules completely right, but the second one had more players so I added more Minions into the battle list. Which suddenly overwhelmed them all. Another game, a few had to cut it short early so I removed some mobs off the table which then turned what I had planed to be a mini boss fight into nothing more then a single turn fight. Kinda annoying there too. Heck the Great Weapon Fighter used his daily and pretty much killed the miniboss in one hit...

There is even countless little encounters that can be either quick or suddenly taking forever just to get though that it becomes really annoying for the players and myself...

Regardless we are having fun, but don't really have any true stories to tell yet...

Are you running 4E? Because one of the things I've noticed in my extremely sparse experience in DM'ing/Playing it is that since everyone had dailies and special powers, fights would go be extremely quickly if you didn't put enough thought into the balance of the encounter beforehand.

Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2013, 05:19:14 am »

The other issue is that 4e relies heavily on perfect party balance.

You NEED 1 striker, 1 defender, and 1 Leader. Where the extra character is either a second leader or a second striker.

Add in that the Controller is only good as a 5th member (The lack of damage a controller has is a huge liability)... and you see how the balance in the game works.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9