Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 26

Author Topic: I loved it when we had a Bay12Games Wurm settlement.  (Read 28659 times)

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
Re: I loved it when we had a Bay12Games Wurm settlement.
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2013, 10:32:17 am »

Eh, I want to like Wurm, but the "You failed to place the log on the pile" style of skills just made me tired.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2013, 12:10:32 pm »

I may get back into Wurm, especially with multi-floor buildings and whatnot...  All my skills are above the free limit, though.

Worth noting: It's free to get a skill to level 20.00 but above that is paid.  But the pay was dirt cheap last I was aware, like $5 for 2 months, or something...  Still, I'm sure my farming and boat-making skills would be useful, assuming my character is still valid.

UristMcDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2013, 12:13:08 pm »

I may get back into Wurm, especially with multi-floor buildings and whatnot...  All my skills are above the free limit, though.

Worth noting: It's free to get a skill to level 20.00 but above that is paid.  But the pay was dirt cheap last I was aware, like $5 for 2 months, or something...  Still, I'm sure my farming and boat-making skills would be useful, assuming my character is still valid.

yay now it's a party woo

Sinlessmoon

• Bay Watcher
  • [Trollinging Intensifies]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2013, 03:15:59 pm »

I had two accounts on this, unfortunately one is a member account and is locked in a pay to play server and I'm not really sure what happened to my other one... So I might decide to make a new account and start fresh.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2013, 04:47:42 pm »

If you guys are going to set a date and time I may be willing to take another crack at this.

UristMcDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2013, 05:42:52 pm »

ok dudes, first off, we're on serenity

guitarxe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2013, 07:01:00 pm »

Serenity is an old, established server. Don't you want to try one of the new servers they opened up that has free space and perhaps even some wild horses/cows?
Feeling down? Click Here!

UristMcDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2013, 07:21:58 pm »

well, my guy is already on serenity, but i can make a new guy. which servers are new?

Therolyn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2013, 03:27:40 am »

I might be interested. I do actively play at the moment on serenity. While not particularly skilled up for a player (My skill sets vary vastly from the Freedom servers (where I mainly specialized in farming) and the Epic cluster (where I'm reasonably well balanced) I'm pretty capable of the basics. I also have connections to some degree.

Feel free to contact me ingame (My main is Brockram)

guitarxe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2013, 06:59:19 am »

Nothing particularly wrong with playing on Serenity, just that first of all it's an old and established server, like I said. Which means that pretty much everything everwhere is built up. You'll have a really hard time finding a spot of truly wild wilderness to settle. I mean that could be a good thing - there are roads everywhere connecting everything, tunnels, canals, towers to protect from hostile creatures, people have very high skills so it's easy to get high quality tools.

But for me that's not Wurm is all about. For me Wurm is going out into the middle of nowhere and carving out your own little spot in the wilds, preferably with a group of likely-minded players. So for that kind of experience a newer, not so established server would be better. Those are the Pristine and Release servers. Those new servers also have more players playing.

So if you guys want to experience a challenge surviving and the thriving in the wild through your own "hard work and sweat", one of the new servers would be better. Just saying.

Sinlessmoon

• Bay Watcher
  • [Trollinging Intensifies]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 05, 2013, 10:54:02 am »

Nothing particularly wrong with playing on Serenity, just that first of all it's an old and established server, like I said. Which means that pretty much everything everwhere is built up. You'll have a really hard time finding a spot of truly wild wilderness to settle. I mean that could be a good thing - there are roads everywhere connecting everything, tunnels, canals, towers to protect from hostile creatures, people have very high skills so it's easy to get high quality tools.

But for me that's not Wurm is all about. For me Wurm is going out into the middle of nowhere and carving out your own little spot in the wilds, preferably with a group of likely-minded players. So for that kind of experience a newer, not so established server would be better. Those are the Pristine and Release servers. Those new servers also have more players playing.

So if you guys want to experience a challenge surviving and the thriving in the wild through your own "hard work and sweat", one of the new servers would be better. Just saying.

I agree, I think we should go to one of the newer servers and carve out a spot of our own to live.

UristMcDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 05, 2013, 11:20:00 am »

what's a newer pvp server? i wanna kill some dudes along the line

ansontan2000

• Bay Watcher
  • I am a Poro. Fear me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 05, 2013, 11:34:15 am »

I'm up for joining this settlement; Always liked the look of Wurm, took a gander last time B12 tried to make a settlement but didn't really catch on, but would love to come back and join up again.
When a soldier makes a mistake, one man dies.
When a captain makes a mistake, a dozen men die.
When a commander makes a mistake, a thousand men die.
When an emperor makes a mistake, well, there is a game save for retry.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 05, 2013, 12:30:34 pm »

Important thing about Wurm is to acknowledge that settlements aren't permanent.  You flitter in and out, move from whichever is active at the time, improve your skills but don't put a ton of investment into the infrastructure of a single village.  Individuals become rather more important than a village itself - when I played it wasn't unusual to grab loose players for a few days to do things or go on pvp raids.

guitarxe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 05, 2013, 01:26:56 pm »

what's a newer pvp server? i wanna kill some dudes along the line
Uh, I don't think they released any new servers for pvp. There's the old Chaos/Wild pvp server and then there are those four Epic cluster servers which also have pvp (Serenity, Elevation, Desertion, Affliction).

I've never played on any of the PvP servers my self so I can't recommend any. To be honest I don't see the point of PvP in a game like this. But, correct me someone if I'm wrong, I do know there's free movement between the epic cluster and one of the Freedom clusters (that is, either the 4 old PvE servers or the two new PvE servers). So for example if you used to play on Independence and moved to Epic, you can then go back to Independence. But you can't go to Pristine or Release. Likewise if you play on Pristine or Release and go to Epic, you can go back but you can't go to Independence (and the other 3).

Important thing about Wurm is to acknowledge that settlements aren't permanent.  You flitter in and out, move from whichever is active at the time, improve your skills but don't put a ton of investment into the infrastructure of a single village.  Individuals become rather more important than a village itself - when I played it wasn't unusual to grab loose players for a few days to do things or go on pvp raids.

I agree with this. The relations you make with individual people are far more important and worthwhile to build up than some guy's dream of a giant Shinobi training village. However it's still worthwhile to work together for some common tasks. If you're in a village that's still setting up it might be worth it to help build the community buildings first (such as the kitchen, blacksmith, animal pens, whatever) before you build your own house. It'll be faster than building your own house alone, and at the same time you'll have access to it all once it's set up and ready.
Just stay away from villages that are one-man power lust dreams and look out for those that are more focused on everyone having fun.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 26