Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 26

Author Topic: I loved it when we had a Bay12Games Wurm settlement.  (Read 28925 times)

Sinlessmoon

• Bay Watcher
  • [Trollinging Intensifies]
    • View Profile
Re: I loved it when we had a Bay12Games Wurm settlement.
« Reply #30 on: July 05, 2013, 04:33:11 pm »

Important thing about Wurm is to acknowledge that settlements aren't permanent.  You flitter in and out, move from whichever is active at the time, improve your skills but don't put a ton of investment into the infrastructure of a single village.  Individuals become rather more important than a village itself - when I played it wasn't unusual to grab loose players for a few days to do things or go on pvp raids.

I agree with this. The relations you make with individual people are far more important and worthwhile to build up than some guy's dream of a giant Shinobi training village. However it's still worthwhile to work together for some common tasks. If you're in a village that's still setting up it might be worth it to help build the community buildings first (such as the kitchen, blacksmith, animal pens, whatever) before you build your own house. It'll be faster than building your own house alone, and at the same time you'll have access to it all once it's set up and ready.
Just stay away from villages that are one-man power lust dreams and look out for those that are more focused on everyone having fun.

Its also not a bad way to train skills as well, not to mention you can have fun working together and maybe gain a few friends along the way.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 05, 2013, 05:06:32 pm »

So what kind of server are we looking for, PVP or PVE? I'm personally not interested in PVp but if you guys are going on one of those then I'll follow along.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 05, 2013, 05:09:47 pm »

Hop on a PVP, and if you're not for fighting you can do the home building.  Just be wary of invaders (there's usually PLENTY of warning from global chat) and don't take boats too far.

My character is on Serenity, so if I were to start playing again that'd be where.

zehive

• Bay Watcher
  • [DRAGONFIREBREATH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 05, 2013, 07:03:45 pm »

Whats y'alls names on serenity? I don't want to boast, but I may or may not be a part of The Deed, aka Capital of Jenn-Kellon Elevation.

I have a deed on Serenity too, and know many places that are far removed from society, abandoned, overgrown and prime spots for noobs to live. And I have boats and stuff. I'm not a fantastic account, but I've been pvping since Chaos was Wild, at many JK war deeds and in many JK fights and died more than a few times. I wouldn't mind going to chill with you all.

MadMalkavian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 05, 2013, 07:07:50 pm »

My computer cannot play Wurm Online, otherwise I might have given it a shot. Good luck to you all though.
Warning: Subject may be antisocial and may not synchronize well with humans. Approach cordially and with caution or not at all.

Mono124

• Bay Watcher
  • Into the abyss you go!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 05, 2013, 09:22:17 pm »

I'll try it out I guess.
Collin Quay- [145.9]-broadcasts: As a professional doctor, I have to say, dodge the fucking meteors or you will die.

zehive

• Bay Watcher
  • [DRAGONFIREBREATH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 05, 2013, 09:36:45 pm »

Give it a shot! Try not and bounce either in the tutorial or the first couple hours afterwards. If you need any help just say so in this thread, I have like 3 sailboats I can hop on at any time and just sail back to serenity and help anyone out.

Sinlessmoon

• Bay Watcher
  • [Trollinging Intensifies]
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 05, 2013, 09:51:24 pm »

I remember one time logging in and finding that two guys on horse back were raiding my town and I got cut down more than once trying to defend it, I was incredibly underpowered and couldn't do anything. (Although I was new so If I played a bit more I probably could have defended myself better.)

guitarxe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 05, 2013, 10:51:15 pm »

I remember one time logging in and finding that two guys on horse back were raiding my town and I got cut down more than once trying to defend it, I was incredibly underpowered and couldn't do anything. (Although I was new so If I played a bit more I probably could have defended myself better.)

Not really. Combat skills in Wurm are the same as all the other skills. They are extremely grindy and there is a huge power gap even if you're just a few combat levels below the enemy. Which is another reason to not really bother with PvP in Wurm.
(Of course combat skills don't really matter all that much since pvp is usually either a gank fest or a mob fest, anyway. Kind of like Eve, actually.)
Feeling down? Click Here!

zehive

• Bay Watcher
  • [DRAGONFIREBREATH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 05, 2013, 11:14:05 pm »

Not really. Combat skills in Wurm are the same as all the other skills. They are extremely grindy and there is a huge power gap even if you're just a few combat levels below the enemy. Which is another reason to not really bother with PvP in Wurm.
(Of course combat skills don't really matter all that much since pvp is usually either a gank fest or a mob fest, anyway. Kind of like Eve, actually.)
Uuuhhh.. not sure what you mean here.. you can have 70 fight skill in under a week, you get 50 weapon skill while getting your fight skill, 40 shield skill while getting 70fs AT THE LEAST. Thats enough to get in on pvp. Theres people on Elevation who go to PvP events with sub-50 fight skill. The only parts of fighting that are grindy are if you're going past 70 in any related skill for some stupid reason despite no true benefit because its all on the curve. I've managed to put long time veteran super elitist pvpers on the ropes many times in spars with my account that I've been half-assedly playing since late December, whereas theyve had theirs since the opening of the cluster. This isn't Wild anymore, this is Epic.

And as for crafting skill, you can get 50 skill in anything in a day.

Also Re: Mob Fest

One of the last HotAs I attended saw this:
[00:57:25] Selturas slain by Kings Olloch
[02:22:41] Awakening slain by Kings Olloch Cndo
[02:22:53] Watkins slain by Jaycz Sparkytaco Amberain Azog
[02:23:21] Rrajk slain by Exor Sparkytaco Tryfaen Curv Amberain Terrorist
[02:24:19] Kings slain by Gary Hellfang Chriz Savagescholz Awakening
[02:24:32] Morrowen slain by Exor Vessa Azog Jaycz Jondm Sparkytaco Kirtah Tryfaen Olloch Curv Terrorist
[02:25:04] Daredevil slain by Jaycz Sparkytaco Tryfaen Terrorist
[02:26:50] Tryfaen slain by Rrajk Ezalor Daredevil Ownage Smeagain
[02:26:59] Chriz slain by Exor Kirtah Olloch Cndo
[02:27:33] Hellfang slain by Exor Kings Vessa Cndo Jaycz Kirtah Olloch Curv Amberain Bagsecg
[02:27:58] Smeagain slain by Jondm Exor Sparkytaco Kirtah Tryfaen Vessa Azog Terrorist
[02:28:01] Amberain slain by Hellfang Gary Rrajk Savagescholz
[02:28:16] Savagescholz slain by Jaycz Exor Kirtah Kings Vessa Curv Amberain Cndo Bagsecg
[02:28:38] Vessa slain by Gary Hellfang Ezalor Savagescholz
[02:28:39] Ezalor slain by Jondm Sparkytaco Tryfaen Azog Terrorist
[02:28:46] Gary slain by Exor Kings Vessa Cndo Jaycz Kirtah Curv Olloch Amberain Bagsecg
[02:29:15] Ownage slain by Sparkytaco Tryfaen Azog Terrorist
I know those names mean nothing to you, but thats a mix bag of 12 Mol Rehan vs A mix bag (and in terms of pvp ability equal footed with MR) of 14 Jenn-Kellon. JK pulled out a big win despite many names having this being their introduction to PvP. This isn't an elitists battlefield, new people matter. There was many sub-50fs people there.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2013, 11:21:49 pm by zehive »

guitarxe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 05, 2013, 11:22:01 pm »

This isn't Wild anymore, this is Epic.

Yes, you are right. I've forgotten Epic has a different skill gain rate.
Feeling down? Click Here!

zehive

• Bay Watcher
  • [DRAGONFIREBREATH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 05, 2013, 11:52:50 pm »

This isn't Wild anymore, this is Epic.

Yes, you are right. I've forgotten Epic has a different skill gain rate.
And not everyone is walking around in drake with farwalkers, and people actually die on epic and its more dynamic and interesting. And having 40 body strength is considered really really good.

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 06, 2013, 01:09:13 am »

I might get on Wurm again if other people are playing. So, some kind of pvp server. Which one?
« Last Edit: July 06, 2013, 01:32:31 am by Morrigi »
Cthulhu 2016! No lives matter! No more years! Awaken that which slumbers in the deep!

UristMcDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 06, 2013, 01:38:16 am »

OK, even through Serenity is old, apparently someone knows where some virgin spots are. What time do we meet up in SB to begin travel?

ansontan2000

• Bay Watcher
  • I am a Poro. Fear me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 06, 2013, 01:53:59 am »

I'm free for the next 10~ hours so...C'mon guys!
When a soldier makes a mistake, one man dies.
When a captain makes a mistake, a dozen men die.
When a commander makes a mistake, a thousand men die.
When an emperor makes a mistake, well, there is a game save for retry.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 26