Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Troglodytes getting stuck  (Read 1095 times)

AceSV

• Bay Watcher
  • [SUPER_VILLAIN]
    • View Profile
Troglodytes getting stuck
« on: August 04, 2015, 06:35:53 am »

So I've got this recurring problem where troglodytes wander into the caverns, climb up to a high position and decide to live the rest of their lives without budging.  I would just shoot them, but they're often out of reach of my marksdwarves.  Right now I've got a pair of trogs camping 35 z-levels off the ground.  I really want to catch and breed cave creatures, and these little stunts are clogging up the animal appearances. 

Any advice?  Is there a bug report for this?
could God in fact send a kea to steal Excalibur and thereby usurp the throne of the Britons? 
Furry Fortress 3 The third saga unfurls.  Now with Ninja Frogs and Dogfish Pirates.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
Re: Troglodytes getting stuck
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2015, 06:43:45 am »

Tunnelling is the only way out I can think of. Miners are pretty damn fine in combat, but to trap them, an arrangement like this might be good:

O=Cavern wall
T=Troglodytes
X=Up/down stairway

OOOOOXOOTOOTOOOOOX
OOOOOXOOOOOOTOOOOX
OOOOOXOOOOOOOOOOOX

The carve stairways or ledges with militia/archers/whatever.

Or you could give your archers some fun with a vertical stairway constructed, 1x1 even, as climbers are slow and easy targets that can't run. This may be one of the more enjoyable problems to get round. I should probably do something similar about the fleshballs in my bottom layer (NOT euphemisms!) but I want to keep pathfinding down...
One wheel short of a wagon

RocheLimit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2015, 10:28:00 am »

I'd write off the climbing crundles troglodytes and use this as an opportunity: while the crundles troglodytes are around, no other creature will spawn in that cavern.  You can wall up all the openings without having to worry about Giant Cave Spiders, Voracious Cave Crawlers, or Cave Crocodiles munching on your dwarfs, though forgotten beasts will still be a possibility.  With the map edges walled off, kill off the troglodytes anyway you want to spawn more cavern critters, and you can then come up with a way to channel any animal that spawns there through cage traps for an easy capture or weapon traps for easy kills.

*Edit: Misread troglodytes for crundles.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2015, 10:30:13 am by RocheLimit »

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2015, 01:40:08 pm »

Yes, I have a similar problem with some draltha who have set up shop on top of a completely inaccessible mushroom deep in the 2d cavern.  They can't get down, I can't get up, and I'm getting sick of them being there.

Short of a massively engineered ridiculously dwarfy solution, I can't... uh... nevermind.  Got to go build something.
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

SyrusLD

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2015, 01:52:54 pm »

I only have one cavern level and ended up having hungry heads sit in one spot for so long that had gone from two which spawned there to 15 at the point when they finally decided to disappear. On another occasion I had pond grabbers sit around in one of the underground lakes. Must admit, I just DFHack exterminated them...

So far I have not had Dralthas, Voracious Cave Crawlers, Jabberers and some other cavern creatures. I did have two cave dragons though, which I had breeding for a while...Not like there's much point to that since they grow up way too slowly. Also had 3 GCS run in my traps.

Still, I wish there'd be more than one group of wildlife at a time, both above and below ground...
In Remembrance of Bengel Hairybasement,
Strangler of a Sasquatch, Troglodytes and a Cyclops,
Slayer of a Giantess, whom he burned alive.
Died in a Heroic Fight with a Grizzly Bear.