Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8

Author Topic: Perplexicon RL  (Read 11595 times)

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
Re: Perplexicon RL
« Reply #75 on: June 11, 2014, 03:13:29 pm »

Yeah, I'll continue with things as they are. It's not as bad as it looks.

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

Angle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #76 on: June 11, 2014, 08:57:14 pm »

Alright, so I'm using CM for size measurements, and g/cm^3 for density. How do I measure the impact yield, impact fracture, etc? probably newtons or centinewtons, but shouldn't I take the thickness of the object into account? Also I have no idea where to find those values.

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 16, 2014, 07:57:02 am »

Alright, so I'm using CM for size measurements, and g/cm^3 for density. How do I measure the impact yield, impact fracture, etc? probably newtons or centinewtons, but shouldn't I take the thickness of the object into account? Also I have no idea where to find those values.
Use DF values. Ask Urist Da Vinci for how to use them.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=131995
._.

Angle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #78 on: June 19, 2014, 04:58:14 pm »

Aaargh this is complicated! I'm thinking I might just use a simpler damage system, most of the combat code will be in the raws, so people can edit it anyway. Right now, I think it'll just determine the damage based on a formula depending on the attack type.

Thrusting Damage = Raw Damage / Contact Area

Cutting Damage = Raw Damage * Sharpness

Piercing Damage = (Raw Damage * Sharpness) / Contact Area

or something like that. Then the material will have resistance to each type of damage, or perhaps multiple resistances (Fracture and Bending, say) and I can go from there.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 20, 2014, 12:58:46 am »

"Cutting Damage = Raw Damage * Sharpness"

Is not dependent on contact area?

Also you forgot Blunt damage. Which also needs to go through flexible armor like it was not there.
._.

Angle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #80 on: June 20, 2014, 11:53:31 am »

Not for cutting, I don't think. Does it matter how long a sword is when it cuts you? Not really.

Thrusting Damage basically is Blunt Damage.

Angle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #81 on: June 21, 2014, 08:46:47 pm »

Alright, so that covers offensive stats, at least momentarily. For defenseive stats, I think I need something for each of the following:

Being Dented or Squished

Being Shattered

Being Cut

Being Pierced

and of course, resistances and such for the various forms of energy. I'm going to leave those out for a bit though, and focus on physical forms of damage.

Anything you think I'm missing?

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 21, 2014, 09:30:50 pm »

Being torn? Like paper or hot aluminum?
Or is that part of shattered.

Once you finish focusing on the physical forms, you may want to start with how other forms of energy affect material's physical resistances. Such as fire, heat, making a material less resistant to everything but shattered. Or freezing, cold, making the material less resistant to being shattered.
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

Angle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #83 on: June 21, 2014, 09:38:11 pm »

Hmm. That'd be dependent on a things tensile strength, and it's flexibility. You could tear a paper wall by hitting it and making it flex to to the point where you overcome it's tensile strength. I think I'll hold off on adding that kind of functionality, and just not add any materials that would likely involve it.

As for the second, I have code that can do that, though I havent actually done it yet. That's what my ItemMod's are for.

Angle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #84 on: June 26, 2014, 02:10:30 pm »

Now that I think about it, should I just have each material get it's own script for determining damage? Cause I could totally do that.

Edit: Yup I did it. Now I just need to finish the bloody scripts...
« Last Edit: June 26, 2014, 05:13:44 pm by Angle »

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: June 30, 2014, 07:29:38 am »

Now that I think about it, should I just have each material get it's own script for determining damage? Cause I could totally do that.

Edit: Yup I did it. Now I just need to finish the bloody scripts...
So, for n materials you'll need n*(n-1)/2 scripts? This could lead to some problems with adding new materials.
._.

Angle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #86 on: June 30, 2014, 11:11:58 am »

Well, no, I've been using single scripts for multiple materials. Right now I have three: One for metals, one for flesh, and one for brittle materials like bone or minerals.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: June 30, 2014, 03:48:09 pm »

That math doesn't feel right, Sergarr.
For one material, that's (1*0/2)=0 scripts. For two materials, that's (2*1/2)=1 script. For three, that's (3*2/2)= three scripts. Then 6 for 4, 10 for 5, etc. Yeah, you have exponential growth, but in the lower ranges it doesn't feel right.
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

Angle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #88 on: June 30, 2014, 03:58:55 pm »

I don't see how you have exponential growth. At best it's linear, when each material gets it's own script. There's only one script for determining offensive properties.  Here, do you guys want me to release another demo so you can see the potential of the system I currently have in place?
« Last Edit: June 30, 2014, 04:12:56 pm by Angle »

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: June 30, 2014, 04:11:29 pm »

That math doesn't feel right, Sergarr.
For one material, that's (1*0/2)=0 scripts. For two materials, that's (2*1/2)=1 script. For three, that's (3*2/2)= three scripts. Then 6 for 4, 10 for 5, etc. Yeah, you have exponential growth, but in the lower ranges it doesn't feel right.
Oh right, I was wrong.

It's n*(n+1)/2. And it is not exponential, it is quadratic.
._.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8