Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Stal's Tile and Graphic Set v1.0 [16x16][40.xx]  (Read 4296 times)

Stalhansch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Stal's Tile and Graphic Set v1.0 [16x16][40.xx]
« on: September 05, 2014, 07:34:14 pm »

[Preamble]
I had always used the vanilla tileset for Dwarf Fortress, with no graphics to speak of. After these years of use I found that the intense contrast and bright colours, mixed with the iconic lopsided-ness of the vanilla tileset, started to give me headaches, and bore painfully into my retinas during late night binges. It was at this point that I decided to try out tile and graphic sets to hopefully fix my problem.

There are some very good tile and graphic sets out there, but to me almost all of them shared a flaw. Dwarf Fortress already has a lot of information on the screen to try and take in all at one time, and these tile and graphic sets seemed to make it worse for me. I set out to create a tileset that was not only easy on the eyes, but also made important information stand out. Half way through completion I decided that I would release the set for others with a similar idea or want.

[Tileset]
The main focus of this tileset is simplicity and visual ease. It contains nothing especially original. Most vanilla tileset characters remain the same, but improved upon. The font was carefully chosen and edited not only for its style, but for an obvious yet pleasant contrast between information one must see, and information one must read.

I also created an optional graphic set, but it currently only has graphics for the main 5 races (dwarf, elf, human, goblin, kobold).

[Images]
I don't currently have an impressive fortress to showcase my tileset, but this should change in the future. In the meantime the following images will have to do.
Spoiler: Map and Text sample (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Environment sample (click to show/hide)

[Download]
Download link
Mirror
« Last Edit: September 05, 2014, 07:45:15 pm by Stalhansch »

Stalhansch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stal's Tile and Graphic Set v1.0 [16x16][40.xx]
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2014, 10:41:12 pm »

I considered drawing animals as well, but that requires much more patience and commitment than I can currently give. Perhaps some time in the future.

UristWoodie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stal's Tile and Graphic Set v1.0 [16x16][40.xx]
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2014, 07:40:06 am »

Finally got around to d/l and trying this one.

I really like the font, I had been using Obsidian with TWBT, but this seems much cleaner and thus more readable.  The background for the text  menus looks brownish now, I'll have to look into that.

Thanks!