Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Rogue 12x12 Tile/Graphic Set  (Read 24385 times)

Rogue Yun

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware of the Carp
    • View Profile
Re: 12x12 Tileset Work in Progress
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2014, 09:40:33 am »

Tileset Updated. Refer to the first post.

.:Simple Mood 16x16 ASCII:.
Keep it Simple. Keep it Safe.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2014, 09:52:09 am »

wow looks good, downloaded right now, going to test it out.

Rogue Yun

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware of the Carp
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2014, 04:57:49 pm »

Thank you so much Hugo! You are the man, as usual :)

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2014, 10:04:43 pm »

Well I'm liking it so far, the black dots in the corner of most tiles really make it easy to pick out what tile is what (grid system wise) sometimes I don't want my world that is based off a grid system to bleed altogether. I like it.

Rogue Yun

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware of the Carp
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2014, 03:35:20 pm »

Thanks Hugo, positive feedback is always nice.

Do you think the trees look okay? Or are they not clear enough as trees?

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2014, 03:42:40 pm »

I think they look fine, normally if I can tell what the ground is, and boulders I can figure out what is a tree :P
But if you feel the trees need worked on go for it, see if you can make something more unique?

Me being me, if I have to question something i've done, I try to see if I can make it better :P

Rogue Yun

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware of the Carp
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2014, 12:02:12 pm »

I made some changes to some trees, boulders, eggs, etc. I'd love to hear what ya'll think :)

Especially you Hugo. The man who always gives sound advice! Just like money in the bank!

*Updated Tileset 2014 04 12*

The different symbols.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Regular fortress start with some herbs and trees designated.

Drained a brook to see what it would look like.

Dug into a conglomerate cavern.

Example of embark screen.

A world map.
http://s15.postimg.org/m6ybuxk3t/world_map.png
« Last Edit: April 12, 2014, 12:15:59 pm by Rogue Yun »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2014, 12:28:44 pm »

oh, very pretty. Impressive with only 12 pixels. How did you do the "the different symbols" picture? It would come in handy for almost all tileset previews.

And could you please show some natural/smooth/engraved walls and some minecart tracks? :)

Edit: You have several unused tiles that you can use for new graphics, for example tile #9 isnt used for anytging (between millstone and bag) and the +- tile (lowest column, second tile) is only in unfinished roads. And as far as I remember the ';' next to the stairs is only in vanilla workshops: the masonry and carpentry. Thats it. So it could look like some tool. And the 8 and 9 could maybe use the same background waves as the other numbers. While they dont appear in liquids, it would make large numbers cleaner to read, because all numbers have the same background.

Edit2: The on/off lever tiles could use some graphical representation as well. The tile are only used for levers, so they might as well look like levers. :)
« Last Edit: April 12, 2014, 12:42:12 pm by Meph »
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Rogue Yun

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware of the Carp
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2014, 01:47:42 pm »

Yay! Constructive criticism! Thank you so much! You have pointed out some major things that I can work on! Which is perfect!

oh, very pretty. Impressive with only 12 pixels. How did you do the "the different symbols" picture? It would come in handy for almost all tileset previews.

And could you please show some natural/smooth/engraved walls and some minecart tracks? :)

Edit: You have several unused tiles that you can use for new graphics, for example tile #9 isnt used for anytging (between millstone and bag) and the +- tile (lowest column, second tile) is only in unfinished roads. And as far as I remember the ';' next to the stairs is only in vanilla workshops: the masonry and carpentry. Thats it. So it could look like some tool. And the 8 and 9 could maybe use the same background waves as the other numbers. While they dont appear in liquids, it would make large numbers cleaner to read, because all numbers have the same background.

Edit2: The on/off lever tiles could use some graphical representation as well. The tile are only used for levers, so they might as well look like levers. :)

The "?" help menu there is an "Icon" menu that has a basic glossary of icons like dwarves, creatures, objects and terrain. There is also item designations found under the help menu as well. I spliced the objects and the terrain with the item designations in an open source photo editing program called GIMP (which I love and cherish). Not the simplest thing... but I wanted a visual reference for people to look at.

So.. I think the engrave and tracks can use a little work :) but as requested here they are.

Tracks:

Rough wall and floor:

Smooth wall and floor:

Engraved wall and floor:

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2014, 04:28:22 pm »

just my personal opinion, so take it or leave it: I think the engraved floors are a bit bright, while the difference between smoothed and engraved walls is not very clear (they get a bit brighter, but dont show any engravings)

The tracks use inverted tiles, thats why I did ask. :)

The help menu tip is very helpful. I might make such a screen for all tilesets in MDF, for the manual. :) Thanks for the hint.

Do you plan to do 12x profession sprites for your dwarves?
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Rogue Yun

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware of the Carp
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2014, 07:35:57 pm »

Once again! Thank you! Thank you sooo much! And you are most welcome! Glad to have been of help for all the help you have given me both past and present.

I made some adjustments... Though you are ABSOLUTELY right... the whole engrave thing just doesn't feel quite right... even after these changes.

*Tileset Updated 2014 04 12 Second Update*

Tracks look beter:

More rough stone example:

Smooth stone now has the minecart rail ties now partially visible...

Engraved looks a tad better... but still very strange for me. I'm bound to do more work in improving this when my mind can grasp how.

As for sprites for each profession... I hadn't thought about it till you just mentioned it. I might... I've been thinking of a new design for a dwarf that would cater to that kind of thinking... but with 12x12 pixels to work with that is a tall order (Getting something to even remotely resemble a dwarf was a REAL challenge). Though with the rate you are helping me I might start on it soon!

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2014, 07:42:45 pm »

I bet doing 12x sprites is a nightmare. ^^ Maybe a dwarf face + icon is easier than a dwarf with uniform and tools. Face + pick = miner. Face + axe = woodcutter. And so forth.

But good to know that the feedback is helpful, even if any past help (?) must have completely slipped my mind.

Rogue Yun

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware of the Carp
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2014, 08:09:07 pm »

How you helped me.

It probably slipped your mind because I never said thank you! My mom taught me better too :P

I really can't think of what to use the extra tiles for... If anyone can think of something feel free to make the recommendation! I can use all the advice I can get.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #28 on: April 12, 2014, 08:19:08 pm »

I didnt remember, because it wasnt about this tileset. ;)

Using unused tiles obviously means that you have to either add or change things in the raws. Which means its no longer just a tileset, but also at least one raw file. I personally use free tiles for decorarive 1-tile workshops, like my brazier, fireplace or candelabras. Others use them to show more differences in plants and trees, or Obsidian Soul, who uses several tiles to make animated grass. (using alt tiles in the plant grasses.txt)

Many options.

Rogue Yun

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware of the Carp
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 12, 2014, 10:23:47 pm »

This one took me by surprise. Never thought I would find a circle design in square tiles. What a random and amazing design. ^ Pure accident!

*edit*
After some poking around I was able to make the smoothed/engraved tile more consistent. I really, really like it! It makes me happy.

Here are some snap shots from the arena.

Stages of engraving:
« Last Edit: April 13, 2014, 10:41:34 pm by Rogue Yun »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5