Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: The Last Frontier: Draining the Magma Sea (even the bottom) [Colony Complete!]  (Read 64206 times)

ResMar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Last Frontier: Draining the Magma Sea (yes, even the bottom)
« Reply #45 on: August 01, 2013, 09:46:05 pm »

We should compile a list of "best challenge accepted threads" and sticky it or something.
ヽ(´ー`)┌[>゜))))彡]   Dwarf Therapist User Guide

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 02, 2013, 05:14:11 pm »

We do have the Hall of Legends in the Community Games and Stories board.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Ancre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 03, 2013, 06:29:24 am »

Wow, this is very impressive !

itg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 04, 2013, 07:14:47 am »

The Colony is complete and the magma sea has been refilled. I'm going to use it as a retirement home for now, and whenever I decide to declare this fortress completed I'll finally allow the king to arrive and move everyone down there.

I'll probably upload an updated save once I get everyone moved in. Right now, here are some pictures:

Spoiler: Entrance (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Offices and jail (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Necromantic arena (click to show/hide)

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Let's recap: you have a breeding program for roc birds in a clear glass bubble under a sea of magma, where you live, below the crust of the earth and just above hell, next to a temple you've built for child and puppy sacrifices and a facility for reanimating the dead for military training purposes. You're growing crops on semi-molten rock.

If there's silence, I'm sure it's because most of us really don't know what to say anymore.

edgefigaro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Let's recap: you have a breeding program for roc birds in a clear glass bubble under a sea of magma, where you live, below the crust of the earth and just above hell, next to a temple you've built for child and puppy sacrifices and a facility for reanimating the dead for military training purposes. You're growing crops on semi-molten rock.

If there's silence, I'm sure it's because most of us really don't know what to say anymore.

dresdor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vgtheory.blogspot.com

The magma storage in the last picture looks like pasta sauce in a corningware dish.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile

The magma storage in the last picture looks like pasta sauce in a corningware dish.

Yum magmaiffic

Those are some awesome pictures and great deeds, though :D

kero42

• Bay Watcher
  • Das sind mir unbekannte Blumen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 04, 2013, 11:51:33 am »

Oh my, how awesome. That's so amazing, I can't even convey how impressed I am. Bravo.
Something I find interesting and thought I should share: DF from scratch: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=127552.0

itg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Neat little detail I just noticed: a magma flow tile exposed to daylight is renamed a "lava flow" tile. At the same moment, I noticed for the first time that the magma itself is renamed lava once exposed to the surface. I can't believe I made it this far without noticing something like that.

Crashmaster

• Bay Watcher
  • CARP, Canada's new helth care plan for the elderly
    • View Profile

With your sunberry hell-farm it seems you were able to dig a 2x2 hole up through the SMR from below to connect to a normally mined shaft to the surface? I had thought that only a 1-tile shaft up from hell would be possible since it revealed the surrounding tiles.
Could you correct my understanding/ elaborate on your method for this please?

edit;

Ok, I think I realized what I didn't consider - the tubes man, the tubes.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2013, 12:15:06 am by Crashmaster »

itg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hehe, nothing that clever. It's actually just four separate 1x1 shafts. It might be kinda hard to tell in the screenshot due to all the blood.

Berossus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The only way to make this even more beautiful would be to construct it all of crystal glass...  :'(
My son, many speak of the honor in war.
My preferred method is to wait until their back is turned, then impale them with a pike held by someone else.
Preferrably from a distance.

Crashmaster

• Bay Watcher
  • CARP, Canada's new helth care plan for the elderly
    • View Profile

Ah, ok, I was misinterpreting the tileset then.

I wonder if dfhack's magic-shovel.lua could be used to simultaneously dig a large (say 10x10) area of stairs up into the SMR?

I've had an idea of using a cave-in repeater to knock undead into a walled shaft that leads straight to an eerie pit. It would probably be more trouble then dealing with them any other way so right up my alley. My original plan was to see if I could time multiple miners to finish their stairs in the same frame. I have used similar timing techniques to complete multiple adjacent volcano breaches within a few frames of each other (before the bridge method was widely known) but it was so tedious to orchestrate I didn't want to even attempt it on a larger scale and with single-frame precision.

Probably too cheaty with dfhack to be a satisfying project though. Bottomless pit, you are sorely missed.

itg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Digging 1x1 shafts every other tile would probably do the job well enough, though it would be less reliable.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5