Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: The Last Frontier: Draining the Magma Sea (even the bottom) [Colony Complete!]  (Read 62622 times)

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile

The only way to make this even more beautiful would be to construct it all of crystal glass...  :'(
Not really feasable without modding. If you even have rock crystal on-site (you can't trade for it, it being a rough gem), you're unlikely to have enough to make the number of blocks you need.

Perhaps a useful raw tweak would be to turn rock crystal into an item that can be indirectly traded for. Stone is the easiest choice. You could make that work with one reaction that turns rock crystal blocks into rough rock crystal, allowing you to use the hardcoded crystal glass item jobs.

Even better would be a base item you could import by the binful, but I can't think of anything sensible off the top of my head.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile

I saw a reaction mod that someone had made that allowed for a LOT of potash (I think it was 3) to be used as a substitute for rock crystal for crystal glass.  Made sense to me, since really crystal vs. clear is just an ascetics choice.

If I see it again I'll transpose it over here and drop the link to the original as well.

Xcano

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

And then your fortress is destroyed by a bunch of elves who are angry at you because you used wood. In true Dwarf Fortress fashion. But in all seriousness, perhaps this could be a bunker/fall back fortress in case your main one gets destroyed?

itg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

That's pretty much what it is right now. Originally, I kind of intended to seal some dwarves in, but I find I don't want to spare any since I'm working on two other megaprojects. I do have a handful of dwarves with bedrooms in the colony, though.

itg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The only way to make this even more beautiful would be to construct it all of crystal glass...  :'(
Not really feasable without modding. If you even have rock crystal on-site (you can't trade for it, it being a rough gem), you're unlikely to have enough to make the number of blocks you need.

Perhaps a useful raw tweak would be to turn rock crystal into an item that can be indirectly traded for. Stone is the easiest choice. You could make that work with one reaction that turns rock crystal blocks into rough rock crystal, allowing you to use the hardcoded crystal glass item jobs.

Even better would be a base item you could import by the binful, but I can't think of anything sensible off the top of my head.

Come to think of it, there might be a way to do this without modding. If you use the slade mining/material duplication glitch (original thread, and thread with some of my own research on the topic), you can produce some unusual materials if you make the floor out of equally unusual things, like wood or soap. The trick would be to find which (if any) material makes rock crystal.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile

Come to think of it, there might be a way to do this without modding. If you use the slade mining/material duplication glitch...
That seems like a lot of hell to go through for a chunk of slightly shiny rock. Additionally, the amount you get is limited, and I don't think you'd get enough for a large construction. How many tiles of created stuff do you generally get per embark tile?
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

SnK-Arcbound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I just want to say, you're not insane, I'm also having problems hatching rocs. I'm on my 6th or 7th set and haven't gotten any to hatch yet. It's good to see you have though.

itg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Come to think of it, there might be a way to do this without modding. If you use the slade mining/material duplication glitch...
That seems like a lot of hell to go through for a chunk of slightly shiny rock. Additionally, the amount you get is limited, and I don't think you'd get enough for a large construction. How many tiles of created stuff do you generally get per embark tile?

Literally, hehe. I don't mean to say I have any intentions of doing it, of course. As for how much you could get, The first site I tried the glitch on was capable of producing ~10 layers of stuff, so getting ~6000 crystal blocks (the approximate number of clear glass blocks used in my colony) would be doable. My current site would have been capable of just 2-3 layers, so it probably couldn't be done there.

I just want to say, you're not insane, I'm also having problems hatching rocs. I'm on my 6th or 7th set and haven't gotten any to hatch yet. It's good to see you have though.

It's nice to know it's not just me having trouble. As far as I can tell, most roc eggs are just duds, no matter what you do. When you've got a dud egg, you just have to deconstruct the nest box and try again. At least you can eat them.

A_S00

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It's nice to know it's not just me having trouble. As far as I can tell, most roc eggs are just duds, no matter what you do. When you've got a dud egg, you just have to deconstruct the nest box and try again. At least you can eat them.
I don't think you have to deconstruct the box.  I just assign the mama roc to a different pasture, dump/cook the dud egg, then reassign her to the now-empty nest box pasture.  The only finicky bit is that if you're too slow, she'll be ready to lay again by the time she gets back, and the dwarf taking her back to the nest box pasture will ruin her next batch by standing on the square.  But if that happens, you just repeat the process.

I can 100% confirm that I've had dud eggs, dumped them via the procedure described above, and then had a successful hatching out of the same nest box from the same mama roc after that.  Just happened today.

itg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I updated the map on the DF Map archive: http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-11905-heartmine. The updated map shows the colony after the magma sea has been refilled, and it shows 30 more years' worth of subsequent projects, such as the lunar calendar from my other thread.

itg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I discovered a new technique that makes this whole process MUCH easier. It turns out that, one you've emptied everything but the bottom layer, it is possible to cast obsidian on the sea floor using only buckets of water and stairs. Rather than redo the whole thing from scratch, I made a little demonstration, casting a single block of obsidian. The pictures I took are probably overkill, but whatever, screenshots are easy.

Spoiler: Step 1: Setup (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Step 3: Cast obsidian (click to show/hide)
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]