Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: how to give diffrent castes diffrent body parts then the creature  (Read 622 times)

keegspot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

how to give diffrent castes diffrent body parts then the creature?

scamtank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: how to give diffrent castes diffrent body parts then the creature
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2013, 02:45:52 pm »

Look at creature_domestic.txt and skip down to CREATURE:SHEEP. You'll see that you need a "[BODY:stuff:stuff:stuff:stuff:stuff]" entry separately for each caste.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2013, 05:00:05 pm »

Look at creature_domestic.txt and skip down to CREATURE:SHEEP. You'll see that you need a "[BODY:stuff:stuff:stuff:stuff:stuff]" entry separately for each caste.

Not the only way, but it is the preferred way as it has a much lower chance of accidentally bugging out.

An alternative way would be, for example, if you wanted a humanoid creature where one caste is exactly like an average human whereas another has wings, then the body entry, which would be
Code: [Select]
[BODY:HUMANOID:2EYES:2EARS:NOSE:2LUNGS:HEART:GUTS:ORGANS:HUMANOID_JOINTS:THROAT:NECK:SPINE:BRAIN:SKULL:5FINGERS:5TOES:MOUTH:TONGUE:FACIAL_FEATURES:TEETH:RIBCAGE]
Would be with the main bulk of the raws, acting as a base for the creature, and all you would have to do is add
Code: [Select]
[BODY:2WINGS] or any alternate flying body parts to the caste that you would want to fly.

However, if you were to add any body tag to your caste that was already defined in the "base" body, then you will end up with a creature with 2 or more of the same body-part.

scamtank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2013, 05:20:57 pm »

They actually nest properly like that? Huh. Learns me right.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2013, 11:51:26 am »

I did a bit of testing to see which method of adding body parts is better, and I've found that it is actually a bit of a moot point.

New body parts added to a caste will not have any defined tissues, even if the tissues that would normally be associated with that body part have already been defined in the creature's "base" [BODY_DETAIL_PLAN].

So either way you would have to re-add each necessary [BODY_DETAIL_PLAN] tokens to every caste that differs from the base creature.

Though this probably only really makes a difference in castes that are wildly different, as opposed to a creature where the only difference between castes is that one caste has horns and the other doesn't.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2013, 01:06:00 pm »

Or you could just add body detail plans AFTER you set up the whole body structure.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2013, 02:10:06 pm »

Or you could just add body detail plans AFTER you set up the whole body structure.

That too. I also completely spaced about the existence of [SELECT_CASTE:ALL], which more or less negates everything I said earlier.  :-\