Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 70

Author Topic: The Lonely Prince: He Who Shall Serve  (Read 181592 times)

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The Lonely Prince: He Who Shall Serve
« on: July 08, 2013, 09:53:16 pm »

The Lonely Prince

Once upon a time, a lonely prince who had thought he had everything, satin and samite and rubies and pearls, found that he longed for something that exceeded their value.  That is to say--a paramour, whose pureness of heart and clarity of mind would be as a lily in the midsts of the evil he had known.  So he drew to him thirteen women whose beauty was apparent in their every gesture; so he drew to him these thirteen, in whom he saw virtue and honor.

Once upon a time, a lonely prince thought himself somewhat more grand than he was and mistook his distaste for evil as an understanding of it.  He drew to him thirteen beauties differently made, to choose from them and make one his wife.  But among them the clever ones deduced that he had drawn in some interlopers, who arrived not for love but for fame and fortune.  And among them the kind ones convinced the thirteen that something had to be done, for the sake of the prince; and among them the bold ones decided that, one by one, they would root out the evil from this bundle of thirteen roses, and send those rivals away.

Unfortunately the evildoers within this fine bouquet had both sharp hairpins aplenty and a taste for desperation, so it must be said that some of the thirteen met bloody ends.

Once upon a time a month and a day later, a prince walked into a bar...

This game is a mild bastard mod.  That is to say, I have already lied to you once or twice.  However, I give to you my promises.  Not only will the rules be as static as possible, but any lies I tell will be truths from the perspective of our storytelling prince.  Indeed, they will be solely in the flavor; none of them will be whoppers, only minor details.  I also promise you that there will be hidden mechanics.  Discovering them will be in your best interest, but the game can be finished successfully for all concerned without them.

Because of the complexity of this game and my relative newness as a mod I will not accept any raw beginners.  Those who have finished a BM and two other games will be automatically accepted; others may or may not be accepted upon review.

Please also note that in this game there is a 3-strike enforced politeness rule in place.  That is to say, don't ruin the game for others through cursing and vitriol.  On the first strike I will give a warning.  On the second, I will take away your vote for the day.  On the third, you will be modkilled.  You are proto-princesses, and if you prove yourself unsuitable, the prince will ask you to leave.  I am not kidding about this.

I am not going to be a hardass, but Great Temple conditions will not be happening again.

Game Rules (mostly thanks to LNCP--there are some changes, so read it):
  • It will be trusted, on behalf of both the players and the mod, that you will play according to the restrictions (if any) given and that you will play both respectfully and to fulfill your win condition to the best of your abilities.
  • All votes must be in red and bold for legibility. Unvoting before voting again is not required, but appreciated. You may vote for No Lynch. You cannot conditional vote. In case of a tie, no one will be lynched. The game has soft hammers; if at any point a player has 51% of all available votes, that player will be lynched and the day will end.
  • Days and Nights both span 72 hours.  Neither time span includes weekends. Nights may end earlier if all actions are in before the deadline. Due to my work hours and the flavor-heavy nature of this game, most days will end at 7PM Pacific (5 AM GMT) but will be processed to completion a couple of hours later.
  • Never edit your posts for any reason, including typos.
  • Do not PM other players unless explicitly allowed.  Players with private chat access will be given a topic on QuickTopic where they may post freely.
  • Never quote any PM from the mod or any communication with them unless explicitly allowed.  You may give a general summary (for example, a roleclaim), but do not quote directly. Rulebreakers can and will be modkilled with prejudice.
  • Any requests to the moderator not in bold will be ignored.
  • Dead players may post one “bah post” to comment on their death, but it may not contain any relevant game information.  After that, please do not post.
  • You may ask for an extension or shorten by putting the respective word in bold.  Extensions require 33% of players to agree minus any players opposing, and requires at least three players. Extends are for 48 hours including weekends, and there may only be a maximum of four Extends.
  • Shortens require at least 51% of players to agree, and will end the day immediately, even if I cannot process them right away.
  • Please make an effort to post at least once daily.  If you do not post content (that is, nothing along the lines of “placeholder post”, "this is a post" or "I will post later") for 48 hours, you will be given a warning.  If I don’t hear from you within 24 more hours, you will be replaced or modkilled. Your third warning will be your last. Should you not post content for a further 24 hours from the third warning, you will be modkilled. If you manage to be inactive for more than 48 hours after this, you will be modkilled without warning. See also rule 12. This includes weekends.
  • If you do not post content for an entire day (72 hours minimum) you will be modkilled at the end of the day. The Day is quite long enough; there are no excuses for flaking.
  • Short-term absences need to be stated before you become absent, or I will not be able to take them into account. If you’ll be gone for a longer time, you can either PM me about it and I’ll try to accomodate, or request a replacement as below.
  • If you can no longer post, you may Request Replacement. If there is anyone in the replacement queue that person will replace you. If not, you will remain in the game until this happens even if you won't be prodded - please endeavour to post regardless.
  • Never underestimate your importance, and always play to win!
PRINCESS AMENDMENT: Keep the vitriol out of this game.  It's fine to be aggressive, but keep the hard-core insults out of here.  On first infraction, I will give you a warning.  On the second, I will take away your vote for the day.  On the third, you will be mod-killed.

Game Action Order:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The Proto-Princesses
Webadict the White Swan - Killed, cooked, and partially eaten Day One
Griffionday the Hopeful Prince - Eviscerated and throat cut Night One
Ottofar the Black Swan - Ritualistically sacrificed Day Two
Solifuge, AKA Lovelace - Eviscerated and offered to the Goddess Day Two
notquitethere the Gardener-Sage - Defenestrated and sliced to ribbons Night Two
RangerCado => zombieurist, AKA Hypatia - Executed, beheaded, and offered to the Goddess Day Three
Griffinpup => TheWetSheep the Balalaika Player - Crushed and mangled beyond recognition Night Three
Okami no Rei => Webadict, who wore Red Shoes - Banished barefoot from the Prince's castle Day Four
Jim Groovestar, AKA Dreaming Death - Returned to the land of the dead one heart lighter Night Four
Tiruin the Duck - Made helpmeet and protector of the castle inhabitants in the Aftermath
Lenglon the Lily - Made a member of the Queen's Guard in the Aftermath
Toaster the Rose - Made a member of the Queen's Guard in the Aftermath
Leafsnail, who wears Black Shoes - Crowned Queen of Denmark in the Aftermath

Mod Flavor Links
The Thirteen Brides
Sir Shepard
A Prince walks into a bar. . .
Important details
Treasurehouse
Horatio and the Prince
The Servant and the Served
The Prodigal Brother
Sacrifices
Age Before Beauty
A Change of Color
Wounds
Order
Words, words, words
Interrogating the Prince
"But that I have bad dreams. . ."
Blood ties
Smells
Red herring
Where the Gods Walk
Et in Arcadia Ego
"Other fish in the sea"
"I was sad I had no shoes, until. . ."
Death and the Virgin
Song of the Two Young Wolves
The Things They Carried
Horatio and Sigfred
Etude for Bass and Lyric Baritone
Träume
The Heartfelt Duckling
He Who Shall Serve

Character PMs
Part the First
Part the Second
Part the Third

Ending/plot details
Mechanics and setting details
« Last Edit: October 18, 2013, 12:59:23 am by Vector »
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Okami No Rei

• Bay Watcher
  • It is by will alone that I set my mind in motion.
    • View Profile

IN
It is by the spice caffeine that thoughts acquire speed.
...start thinking that everything somebody does is scummy or that everything is part of some scummy plan to be incredibly devious and mislead the town...

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile

In my heart I am always a princess.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile

I'm loving the flavor already.

For truth, and for the Prince!

...I wonder how you write, Vector :)

In my heart I am always a princess.
I knew it. :I

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile

Posting to watch.

I'm much too grumpy to be a pretty princess anyway
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

*nudge nudge*

We all have our days ;P

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile

This game is going to start right around when school starts for me and I'm going to be too busy banging my head against that to bang my head against this.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

...I wonder how you write, Vector :)

Get myself sleep-deprived, hopped up on sugar and/or caffeine, and bored.  Then I drift in and out of sleep and figure out what I'm going to write.

I'm not even kidding.  It's how I take care of most difficult problems.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I remember how much I enjoyed your last literary Mafia, and this sounds like it could be even better. Put me down as a replacement for now, though I'll see about playing once I've dialed back the stress a bit.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yeah, I hope you'll play!  This game is going to be even more ridiculous than the last one, I can promise that much.  I'll add you to the replacement list for now.

For anyone wondering, the reason why I picked August 5th as the earliest start date is because

a. My job ends July 31st

b. 8 + 5 = 13 and we are in 2013. With 13 players :I

So, it really isn't a hard start date at all; my next Key Date is Jan. 2014, when I will be going back to graduate school.  I'd be super-happy if Soli and Groovestar were able to play, even if we had to put this on hold for another week or two.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile

Replacement In - Looks awesome, but I'm not qualified enough.
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Wat, really?

. . . I need to change the OP if you're being barred.  Ahh, it should be "anyone with a BM and two other games can join, and others on review."  I'll sign you in.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Replacement In - Looks awesome, but I'm not qualified enough.
I really believe you are qualified. :)

griffinpup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

in

zombie urist

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_LIVING]
    • View Profile

replacement
The worst part of all of this is that Shakerag won.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 70