Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How do you breach into the HFS in adventure mode? *spoilers*  (Read 1465 times)

cannibalfridge

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

Is there any way to breach into the HFS or even the cavern layers in adventure mode without making a fortress and tunneling down first?

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
Re: How do you breach into the HFS in adventure mode? *spoilers*
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2013, 06:40:30 pm »

The only other way is to find an underground fortress with an adamantine sword in it, I believe.  Picking up the sword opens a path down into the underworld with the same effects as breaching an adamantine spire's hollow point.

Edit: That is to say, a demon fortress, not a fort you made.  These can appear around the third cavern layer I believe, and sometimes are open to the caverns.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2013, 12:22:27 am »

Telgin, that information is not correct. While you CAN find underground fortresses with adamantine swords, and you CAN pick them up, and you CAN open a path to the underworld, you will not spawn the hundred-demon army by doing so in adventure mode. As far as I know, not even using adv-fort to mine through the adamantine tubes in adventure mode will release the "clown car".

Future versions might change that, but so far, you can only descend into hell via the demonic fort (known as Curious Underground Structures) and then wait for wandering demons to wander onto the map, if you want to fight them.
Quote from: Dwarfotaur
Everytime one of my militia has given birth in the Danger Room, it's lead to instant baby smoothies for everyone.

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread

Gavakis

• Bay Watcher
  • some loser meme
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2013, 11:11:19 am »

No. Demons spawn as soon as you (I)nteract with the sword,  the floor gets taken away and the fuckers flood out.

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2013, 12:56:27 pm »

Not in adventure mode, it doesn't. Put a skill point in "reader" next time, bro.
Quote from: Dwarfotaur
Everytime one of my militia has given birth in the Danger Room, it's lead to instant baby smoothies for everyone.

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread

cannibalfridge

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2013, 02:51:27 pm »

You guys mentioned demon fortresses, how would i even get to the third cavern layer in adventure mode, do i just use advfort to dig down or what? The only caves i have ever found in adv mode were lairs and they only go down like 1 z level and never ever lead anywhere, they are always a dead end for me.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2013, 03:24:30 pm »

No. Demons spawn as soon as you (I)nteract with the sword,  the floor gets taken away and the fuckers flood out.
In Adventurer mode, they're supposed to spawn but they apparently don't. I'm not sure if there's a bug report for it.

You guys mentioned demon fortresses, how would i even get to the third cavern layer in adventure mode, do i just use advfort to dig down or what? The only caves i have ever found in adv mode were lairs and they only go down like 1 z level and never ever lead anywhere, they are always a dead end for me.

You need to find a cavern entrance somewhere on the overworld (generally inhabited by a dragon or hydra - rocs have nests, and titans and bronze colossuses generally have shrines), then wander through the caverns until you find downward passages to the lower layers (or jump down a deep pit and hope you survive the fall), then wander further until you manage to find a curious underground structure. It's definitely possible (I did it several times back in version 0.31), but very difficult in this version (and even more difficult to find your way back to the surface and escape - back in 0.31, you could fast-travel out of the cavern if you were standing directly beneath a town/forest retreat/mountain halls, but you can't do that anymore).
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Urist McDwarfFortress

• Bay Watcher
  • Suspected elephant sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2013, 03:29:05 pm »

According to the wiki:
In adventure mode (as of v0.31.17), caves can sometimes be found by repeatedly asking an NPC about the surroundings. They're the only way of entering the underworld in adventure mode (besides visiting an abandoned fortress which has an entrance to a cavern)
Sorry, for a moment there I forgot we were all psychopaths.
Someone who has random urges to make mog juice isn't exactly going to care about the cost effectiveness of obtaining it.