Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Do you play Dwarf Fortress?

Yes, religiously!
- 39 (17.3%)
I used to, but haven't in a while.
- 172 (76.1%)
Tried it once or twice, but didn't care for it.
- 6 (2.7%)
Never!
- 2 (0.9%)
What's "Dwarf Fortress"? Is that like a mod for TF2?
- 7 (3.1%)

Total Members Voted: 222

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]

Author Topic: Am I the only one around here who doesn't play Dwarf Fortress?  (Read 6990 times)

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
Re: Am I the only one around here who doesn't play Dwarf Fortress?
« Reply #75 on: November 25, 2013, 03:41:46 am »

I used to play and mod this game extensively, but since then I've given it up because my dying laptop can no longer handle the megaprojects and long-term fort building I require to enjoy the game, and because the surface construction UI is extremely tedious. It's painful to have to reallow constructions after an invader or wild animal sighting cancels them. And worse, I have to disable most features and limit population just to get reasonable fps.

Also, since I picked up programming, I've realized that theoretically I could make a small scale simulation that would do exactly and only the parts I enjoy about DF, and sacrifice the other parts for the sake of speed and memory space. That has further killed my desire to play the full game.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 25, 2013, 10:14:39 am »

I played it before I joined, back when we used the old forum and the only lower board was Various Nonsense, colored like mold.

I think most of us only play it after a big update or when we get that occasional craving.  The forum's gotten much, much more popular since I joined and it's divided into sort of three separate communities.  The upper forums are where people still play DF, then there's the lower forums where we are now, most of us don't play DF that much.  Then there's the lower lower forums for RP and forum games.  A lot of those people have never played DF at all. 

I obviously resent the other forums  8)  The uppers for filling every thread with ten or fifteen "Dwarf Fortress, where X is Y" and "Sigged" posts, and the lower forums for knocking me off the top posters list with 50 posts a day.
Shoes...

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: November 25, 2013, 10:25:53 am »

This thread is hilarious.

I'm not one exactly to subscribe to pipe dreams as a game design principle.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

HopFlash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: November 25, 2013, 01:43:18 pm »

I played DF 0.28 so much that I dreamed in ASCII one time :)
I made a story for my fortress with a diary and so on...then there came a new version...I was splitted in mind...should I bring my fort with its projects forward till it dies (it looks like it will stand a long time I think) or should I jump in the new version and start a new fort and story/diary?

After a while I restart with the new version...had to (re)learn things...and got fewer free time for DF...so fortress mode felt asleep and I took on some adventure runs...it was fun but way to few content to really do something. Making small quests/kills to get meat shield and try to take out some bigger beasts was first fun but then boring.

Then there was the dev blog (that I think is VERY amazing) which tells me that there will be awesome features and I wait and wait and wait ;) (what is ok...because I know that it will be done).

In the meantime I stuck more and more in "Other Games" and "Creative Projects"...and am distracted of waiting for the new DF version.
And this sections are constantly motivating (in conjunktion with the dev blog) me to do some game developing for myself but reallife really holds me back of working on it...I hope this will change sometime.

But I'm sure that I will go back into this df-world when the new version is out :)
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Inactive Therian Saga Char: Stormhead
Dominions: 4.03 Berytos; 4.06 Pangaea; 4.08 Arcoscephale; 4.11 Shinuyama
Inactive Wurm Online Char: Stormhead

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 25, 2013, 02:05:23 pm »

I'm playing dwarf fortress right now.

Oh look, an elk bird!

Hello elk bird.

The Dystopian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: November 25, 2013, 02:20:50 pm »

I played DF on and off since Z-level were introduced, but I always come back to this forum.

Here is where I get all my gaming new and reviews, here is where I discover all the new games I play.

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: November 26, 2013, 10:08:13 am »

Used to play a bunch when I first started, wich is about three and a half years ago methinks.
Played and loved the heck out of it, not as much anymore though. The former, not the latter, still love it and keep track of developement eagerly. Usually fire it up after a new update and play it a bit to check it out, occasionally sticking with a fort and playing it acrossa couple of weeks.

Mostly though whenever I play I get frustrated because there's so many ways I'd love to change and tweak the game, beyond modding that is. Understandably it's a game in full development, focus is on adding features instead of fine tuning them. Still, it's an itch I can't scratch. :)
So I mostly admire it from a distance and check up on these boards for any good discussions.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]