Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 16

Author Topic: Whispersships: A History of Insanity (Succession Game; Looking for Players!)  (Read 24220 times)

Tieranus

• Bay Watcher
  • There are only so many bees in a hive.
    • View Profile

(Previously Roadholds, the Glacier Fortress, Coldclinches, a Feast for Buzzards)
Hello, Bay12 Forumers! It is I, Tieranus! That guy you never heard about, and can't figure out how to pronounce the name of!

I have arrived here today from the frozen south (Or north, to some of you strangelings) to announce my mission to colonize a glacier! Now, I know it will be a tough challenge, with naught to eat but the animals we kill or capture, and maybe some underground farms if we can melt the ice, but it's doable! Heard tell once about a madman who trekked up on top of one such glacier and dug his home there. Built up some walls out of ice, some doors and workshops, hell, even the Chairs. Last I heard, they were fightin' off werewolves or some such.

Nonetheless, i've got a couple of cart animals, and enough wood and stone to supply us once we arrive, as well as plenty of drink.

Who's got the stones to brave the frozen waste?
[/I]

Just come play. It rains elf blood all the time.

-------

Turn order:

(Red is current, Green is next, White is open or waiting, Black has already gone)

1. Tieranus
2. bp920091
3. Matoro (Skipped)
4. Vinedragon (Skipped)
5. enolate
6. griffinpup
7. Kourne
8. Snow
9. ShadowHammer
10. peregarrett
11. Open
12. Open

The Plan:
To embark onto a pure glacier biome, in a terrifying area, and survive. Megaprojects allowed and encouraged!
To survive in a mirthful/haunted biome, with a waterfall and a goblin tower nearby. Also, elf blood. Constantly.

The Rules:
Don't be a dick and ruin the fortress purposefully. If you fuck up, let us know, and we'll revert to an earlier save if yours is unplayable.

Use your discretion for how long it should take to run a year, but try to keep it to 2 weeks, max. We all want a turn.
If you can't take your turn, PM me or post in the thread, and we'll skip you.

Using latest version (0.34.11), with Temperature, Invaders, Weather, Cave-ins on. (If temperature slows your machine too much, you can turn it off, just say as such; hopefully it doesn't do anything horrible)

First fortress/delusion starts Here
Second fortress/delusion starts Here
Current fortress (not a delusion) starts Here
« Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 11:52:57 am by Tieranus »

enolate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Glacier Fortress: Myth, Legend, or Absurd Waste of Resources?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2013, 02:26:35 am »

This could be fun. I'm not sure how many animals you can hunt, though. The best bet might be to breed carnivores.

EDIT: And you can build constructions out of ice with masonry, but it does not seem like you can make anything else with it.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2013, 02:30:58 am by enolate »

Vinedragon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2013, 06:56:31 am »

You can make absurdly complex ice traps out of it, of course!

I wish you luck and lots of fun!

Matoro

• Bay Watcher
  • if you drive alone you drive with hitler
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2013, 06:57:29 am »

How about something like infamous Nith Akath, a glacier/tundra fort in evil biome with aquifier?

If there is no aquifer, glacier forts are quite easy. Just dig for the caverns, there is water and plants.

Tieranus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2013, 11:43:56 am »

The area I have in mind has an aquifer, is in a terrifying biome (I saw a pack of Ice Wolf Corpses trundle along, as well as Reindeer), and has natural sand, too. I can remake a world, though, if we want more customized settings.

I haven't done a succession game in a Long time, but I have been playing for years, and am Really bored of my standard designs. It's hard to make a fort anything but prosperous and efficient, lately.

Now I just need to know who wants in, and where we ought to settle.

enolate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2013, 01:33:40 pm »

How about something like infamous Nith Akath, a glacier/tundra fort in evil biome with aquifier?

If there is no aquifer, glacier forts are quite easy. Just dig for the caverns, there is water and plants.

Yes, I just tried that. You can dig down to the first layer of caverns no problem. So we definitely need a barrier. Can you even breach an aquifer without stone? Or will we have to trade to the dwarven caravan specifically to get stone to build something, to let it fall, to get into the cavern. Nothing ever showed up on the surface world. Ever. Not even a polar bear or penguin. Which I guess makes sense. Not much to eat on a pure glacier. Was your glacier one when you got the ice wolves and corpses?

So we need a terrifying glacier that pours into an ocean.

EDIT:
Frostbite also seems no issue. If there is natural sand, though, you can grow on it even if it is aquifer layer. So food would be easier. We want glacier all the way to water-containing bedrock.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2013, 01:36:46 pm by enolate »

Tieranus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2013, 01:58:36 pm »

Yes, I just tried that. You can dig down to the first layer of caverns no problem. So we definitely need a barrier. Can you even breach an aquifer without stone? Or will we have to trade to the dwarven caravan specifically to get stone to build something, to let it fall, to get into the cavern. Nothing ever showed up on the surface world. Ever. Not even a polar bear or penguin. Which I guess makes sense. Not much to eat on a pure glacier. Was your glacier one when you got the ice wolves and corpses?

EDIT:
Frostbite also seems no issue. If there is natural sand, though, you can grow on it even if it is aquifer layer. So food would be easier. We want glacier all the way to water-containing bedrock.

I am perfectly fine with going on a pure glacier. I will try one out when I get home and see if it actually does go straight glacier all the way down.

Also, if Temperature is on, the water should instantly freeze. I'm reasonably sure I've made a workshop out of ice, so that's viable.

I wanted to start this with a random assortment of skills for the 7 starters. A cheesemaker or some nonsense, for instance, instead of perfectly planned skills. And I already have a mega project in mind.

Keep discussion open on it, and let me know what y'all find too easy.

enolate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2013, 02:07:31 pm »

EDIT:

I am perfectly fine with going on a pure glacier. I will try one out when I get home and see if it actually does go straight glacier all the way down.

Also, if Temperature is on, the water should instantly freeze. I'm reasonably sure I've made a workshop out of ice, so that's viable.

I wanted to start this with a random assortment of skills for the 7 starters. A cheesemaker or some nonsense, for instance, instead of perfectly planned skills. And I already have a mega project in mind.

Keep discussion open on it, and let me know what y'all find too easy.

Yes, workshops and constructions seem fine, and they don't melt. But ice isn't considered stone for other purposes. They masons keep babbling about hard stone. Dudes: You build tables out of talc and gypsum. Ice is easier. But no luck there or on making ice crafts. I haven't tried an icefall trap. But megaprojects are fair game. I agree on the random skills. You can never have too many cheesemakers. As for stuff, should we lug the anvil with us for the humor value? Or plan for ice by making a cat farm?

Tieranus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2013, 02:17:21 pm »

I think we should drag an anvil of the most expensive kind. Why are we making a cat farm, other than their tastiness factor?

Also, a water-freezing trap could work. The ice should melt in a covered area, so we just flash freeze a hallway by opening hatches over it after whatever is in there is trapped by water.

I also think we should haul out equipment to do whatever skills we set, for instance, a hive for the beekeeper. Make it feel like they didn't think it through.

enolate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2013, 02:33:38 pm »

I think we should drag an anvil of the most expensive kind. Why are we making a cat farm, other than their tastiness factor?

Also, a water-freezing trap could work. The ice should melt in a covered area, so we just flash freeze a hallway by opening hatches over it after whatever is in there is trapped by water.

I also think we should haul out equipment to do whatever skills we set, for instance, a hive for the beekeeper. Make it feel like they didn't think it through.

Water freezes in any glacial layer, even underground. So we'll need to be more creative with the traps. Or heat the reservoir in some way.

EDIT: I like this. So a metalcrafter or blacksmith with a steel anvil, a beekeeper and wax worker with hives, seeds and growers, cheesemaker, jeweler, fishery worker, and then the mason and miners.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2013, 02:40:54 pm by enolate »

Tieranus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2013, 02:45:59 pm »

Water freezes in any glacial layer, even underground. So we'll need to be more creative with the traps. Or heat the reservoir in some way.
Okay, so we'll try stonefall traps and maybe siege equipment? Never really tried catapults or ballistae, so throwing ice at them might be entertaining.

Perhaps magma could be found if we dig deep enough. I could see the whole fortress turning to water pretty quickly if we pump it too much, too quickly, though. The hilarity of drowning in a glacier sounds all too dwarfy.

enolate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2013, 03:14:06 pm »

No go on icefall traps. Only stone works there, too.  :'( I just tried.

Tieranus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2013, 03:32:10 pm »

That doesn't make any sense. Whatever.

Let's just go for it. I say, Make Mistakes, Get Messy, and Die in a Horrible flood.

Throw me your names, and i'll add them to the first post as who wants to play in what position, and let me know what specific skill(s) you would like your dwarf to start with. I'm going to play a humble beekeeper.

enolate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2013, 06:00:29 pm »

That doesn't make any sense. Whatever.

Let's just go for it. I say, Make Mistakes, Get Messy, and Die in a Horrible flood.

Throw me your names, and i'll add them to the first post as who wants to play in what position, and let me know what specific skill(s) you would like your dwarf to start with. I'm going to play a humble beekeeper.

Sounds good. I'll be the metalcrafter with the anvil. It's got to be the best anvil, specially calibrated for optimal studding with black bronze. Hopefully, we can get enough people.

Slothman400

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2013, 07:03:36 pm »

I think I'll take the cheesemaker. Just name him/her Sloth.

Are we bringing something that we can milk?
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 16