Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 16

Author Topic: Whispersships: A History of Insanity (Succession Game; Looking for Players!)  (Read 24346 times)

Tieranus

• Bay Watcher
  • There are only so many bees in a hive.
    • View Profile

Sorry for the silence; been a busy week or so. I think it's really up to you all as a group how you want the progression of the saves, especially whoever is next.

I've got a doctor's appointment today, but I'll check over the thread to see what I've missed afterwards.

Matoro

• Bay Watcher
  • if you drive alone you drive with hitler
    • View Profile

I'm the next overseer. I don't mind waiting, just play the year when you can.

bp920091

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary +5 Organizer
    • View Profile

Just to let you know, I finished the year (turns it that there's a lot of free time at family reunions, who knew)

Expect the fill update tomorrow (when I can actually connect my computer to the internet), as will as the save.

Just a quick update:
essentials have been created (bedrooms, dining hall (with six waterfall generators), hospital, farms, food production/storage, cloth industry, EDT)
Shaft racing the magma sea has been dug (and most of an impulse elevator constructed (well, the channels were dug, only two levels were actually completed)
Military has weapons, decent training, but no armor other than their civvie clothes
the river had begun the process of draining (top river is sealed, bottom one is..., partially sealed)
No invasions yet (I kept the production to bare essentials, to minimize the possibility of invasion (frankly, our military can handle the scouts, maybe an ambush, but not a whole siege
I must make a note to buy some cats from traders at the next opportunity and see if I can chain up a breeding pair someplace clean. Having kittens wandering the hallways will be a good way of identifying patches of paralytic poison that still need to be taken care of.

bp920091

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary +5 Organizer
    • View Profile

A massive project has been implmented for a perpetual motion generator, no screw pumps necissary for it's operation.

We have two aquifers, and we also need to drain that river to get to the hippos. The river needs to be drained from two directions. The first is the top waterfall (the power generating part comes into play here). four sections of the river bank are to be cut away (after the rest of the design is completed, of course), funneling most, if not all of the river into a series of tubes that have a long flat section, where a series of 24 water wheels will take energy from the flowing water. This water will then flow into a drain, where it will travel down staircases to the BOTTOM aquifer.

Bottom Drain:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Top Drain:

Essentially, water from top river travels down, levels off to get drained of power, and goes into the bottom aquifer.

The second river draining project is much simpler, and just requires the shunting of the river from one of it's banks to the aquifer that is very close (4-5 tiles) to it.

This motion generator is to be put in place for three reasons.

One, it's very dwarven, and i feel that an evil genius is incomplete without an elaborate megaproject.

Two, we need access to those hippos, and this is the... fastest (if not the most secure) way to get to it.

Three, This powers the screw pumps that are to be deisgned for the new dining hall that i have designed.

The dining hall will have it's back wall not adorned with scribbles from the engravers (well, a few of those are inevitable), but from six self-contained waterfall/mist generators. These can be shut off at a single flip of a lever, never need refilling, and are one of the best things you can do to create a happy fort.

4x6x100 = 1600

Power consumption for the waterfall wall is 150 (2x screw pumps and 1 gear assembly)

In other news, the masons have told me that we've struck lignite in our expansion for the nobility housing (simple 4x4 rooms, bigger than the 1x3, but not extravagant).

28th Malachite:

we've struck pyrolusite. I thought that it was a gem, or an ore, but i have learned that it is a worthless stone.

1st Galena:

We've struck Amethyst. That IS a gem, if a low value one.

8th Galena:

We've struck red spinel and Cog Kazbiznish, a random planter, has given birth to a girl.

12th Galena:

Bemul Niletest, a mason, has been taken by a mood, and withdraws from society.

13th Galena:

Bemul, having been in a mason's workshop when she got his mood, apparently decided that he didnt like his workshop very much. She walked over to a mason's workshop across the hall, kicked the person currently working in it out of it, grabbed the rock that the mason who was already IN the workshop was working on, and got to work.

16th Galena:

A human caravan has arrived, with the wagons taking one look at our fortress and refusing to come in (I have no idea why, they CAN get in). Perhaps it's the elven blood, still pouring down, that freaks them out.

17th Galena:

Bemul has completed her construction, Nakaskilrudorshar (or when i asked him for a translation, he replied "The Enjoyable Bronze Webs!"

It is a schist floodgate, worth 2400 (that's actually quite impressive for a rock construction).

Bemul is now a legendary mason.

18th Galena:

As if Bemul was not busy enough, she gave birth to a baby boy today.

She need to slow down...

AN: She's got poor creativity, poor analytical ability, often feels discouraged. She's also immodest, can handle stress, and very disorganized.

19th Galena:

We've struck a minor vein of tetrahedrite:

1st Limestone:

We've apparently entered the dry season. This news was accompanied by the message that it is also raining elf blood. Some DRY season...

9th Limestone:

Apparently, it's hippo birthing time!

Two more hippo pups are born...

This brings the totals to:
30 hippo pups, 7 hippos...

13th Limestone:

the merchants have left today. Laden with three copper and silver spiked balls, they have left most of their leather, cloth, food, and drink.

11th Sandstone:

Some Migrants have arrived:

3 competent hammerdwarves (i know what we're gonna have as our second squad :))
3 competent marksdwarves (future hunters)
2 competent speardwarves
1 competent swordwarf

Im pretty sure that this was a military convoy...

Ive ordered the hammerdwarves into a squad, as well as dividing the existing one squad into two.

12th Timber:

Vinedragon has been possessed, dragging 3 pieces of tetrahedrite, a cut gem, and two rough gems into a craftsdwarf's shop before starting to work.

23rd Timber:

We've had our first kill today, and another promotion to my henchman's ranks.

First off, we had a kobold thief try and steal a log from one of the wooden stockpiles (not a big deal, but it's the first time it's happened).

As i had the military go top and try and shoo him off, we heard a woman cry out "A Snatcher!"

The military first thought that she was talking about the kobold, but it turns out that she, Mebzuth Tunluslem, a hunter, spotted a goblin trying to snatch a child.

Flying into a rage, she whipped her crossbow around (loaded with jaguar bone bolts), firing at the goblin.

The first strike rips off the goblin's ring finger. The second bolt hits his right knee, shattering it, calling him to fall down, clutching his knee in agony.

The third strike shatters his hand, causing the goblin to lose hold of his copper dagger. At this point, the goblin starts crawling closer to her, screaming how he is going to kill her in horrific ways.

"You shall not SPEAK!" she shouts, shooting a bolt through his right lung.

"Neither will you LIVE!" she shouts, as a bolt tears through his heart.

Bleeding out, unable to breathe, the goblin stops moving, gasping for breath. She walks up, rips the bolt out of his heart, reloads her crossbow, says "This is Whispersships, go tell your master that. HE WILL NEVER CONQUER US!" firing a bolt straight through his eye, killing him instantly.

Walking back to her water buffalo corpse, she passes the military running past her, sneering at them, muttering "Cowards." She resumes her haul of the water buffalo back inside.

Please note, i have attached a combat log, to prove that i have not elaborated on her actions in the slightest. The ONLY changes that i made were the words, the actions were the same...

1st Opal:

AN: nothing's happened until now, other than the generator finally coming online, but still not completed.

Terry decided to kill me today.

He sent a master goblin thief, who managed to make it inside the fort. Not just inside the fort, right next to me, as i was headed back to my inner sanctum.

Unfortunately for him, i was watching the military spar, with actual weapons.

As i ducked around the copper dagger, parrying it with my pick, i screamed "Guards, TO ARMS! Protect your overseer!"

Hearing my cries, the military charged into action, the military charged into action.

Perhaps the axedwarves have been watching the hammerdwarves spar, as the first blow (other than the random hunter, who ALWAYS shoots the goblin in the leg) was from the flat of an axe, smashing into the goblin's nose, breaking it completely.

The entire axedwarf squad thinks this is a great idea, smashing the flat of their axes against the goblin, breaking both legs, arms, and ribs.

The hammerdwarves then scratch the goblin in the hands, causing the goblin to become enraged.

Seeing the horrific husk on the ground, the swordsdwarves hack off each hand, followed by each leg.

Wanting to put the goblin out of his misery, matoro punches the goblin in the back of the head, digging into it's brain, and shares the kill (literally) with the rest of his squad...

Oh, the entire time, this was with smiles on their faces. They are all ecstatic.

I think i have once again, created monsters. All i did this time was give each squad a unified weapon (ie, squad 1 is axes, squad 2 is swords, squad 3 is hammers), and told them to go spar in the old common room.

17th Opal:

Asob Kilrudegul, a relatively recent axedwarf recruit, has given birth to a boy.

In other news, i nearly died today.

As we are trying to drain the bottom river, we needed to stop the flow off the top waterfall. The drains (to the power generator and the top aquifer) didn't cut off the supply completely. So, what i did was to create a wall close to the waterfall.

The river was four tiles wide, and three of the four tiles had been completed. I wanted to see the completion of the final section of the wall. However, there was a sudden surge of water, propelling me down the waterfall.

As i was falling, i had the sudden urge to throw my pick ahead of me, breaking the surface of the water.

As the pick entered the water, i was not far behind. Lightly scraping the bottom, i saw Thikod, a dwarf who had gone missing, as well as an elf, who had been there since before i started as an overseer.

Grabbing my pick, unable to swim, i encountered a problem.

There was no way out of the river.

I was in the middle of a canyon, with there being at least 500 feet between me and the nearest bank to crawl out of the river.

In my panic, i lashed out with my pick, striking nothing but water.

Suddenly, i felt my pick hit something hard.

I had encountered the rock wall.

Hurridly, i started to dig out an upwards staircase. Finishing, i had realized that i still had to complete a staircase on top of that in order to actually be able to rest on something above water.

Right as the last breath left my lungs, i finished the up/down staircase (perhaps i shouldnt have strove for perfection, but dammit, i have some standards!). Climbing up on top of the up/down staircase, i coughed teh water out of my lungs.

Once i had recovered, i started to dig out a passage up to the main entrance shaft of the fortress. Finishing, i walked back down the passage that i dug and collapsed, taking a long nap.

AN: for some reasons, my dwarf spent a good month just chilling down there, no idea why, he could get topside.

18th Opal:

Lokum Letmosbakust, a butcher, has given birth to a girl.

1st Obsidian:

I have completed a sanitation device for the entrance of the fort (bascially a single channel, filled with 3/7 of water. It cleans up all the elf blood), as well as the hospital, nine wells and a full cistern, as well as starting the construction of an impulse elevator.

While we have no idea where the magma is, we do know that it is DOWN, so ive taken a part of the fort that ive been reasonably sure is clean of aquifers, and designated an elevator shaft to be dug.

SAVE

Pictures will be going up shortly, same with the conclusion

A Brief Tour of the Fort:

Top level (Z-0): Treefarm,

Z-1: Farms (reworked again)
Z-2: Main Level

Z-3: Food processing and cloth workshops/stockpiles

Z-4: Stills, Kitchen, Power Generator

Z-5: Waterfall pumps (Top), river export, dorm (migrant housing), offices, noble houses

Z-6: Dining Hall, Tombs, Bedroom level 0, Waterfall pumps (bottom)

Z-7: Mechanic Level and Bedroom sublevel 1

Z-8: Jewler's Workshops, Raw/Cut Jewel Storage, Bedroom sublevel 2 (unfurnished due to lack of need (and furniture))

Z-9: Hospital (fully stocked and furnished), well, and Bedroom Sublevel 3

Z-10 and below (no pics, not very interesting)

5 more levels of bedrooms and an adjacent shaft

Tunnels connecting both main shafts of the fort

Top of impulse elevator shaft

Bottom of impulse elevator shaft

Magma...

Please Note: The impulse generator is nowhere near completion. I have entrusted enolate with the information to how to finish it.

Also, note that there's no reason to bring the magma up... ive designed this shaft so that dwarves can ride DOWN to the forges. Oh, install brakes once every two levels on the downwards spiral (high friction). Going up, you don't need them...

Endyear screenshot

Final postgame update comes tonight (once i finish it)
« Last Edit: August 14, 2013, 09:08:34 pm by bp920091 »
I must make a note to buy some cats from traders at the next opportunity and see if I can chain up a breeding pair someplace clean. Having kittens wandering the hallways will be a good way of identifying patches of paralytic poison that still need to be taken care of.

enolate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Does the path to the depot immediately drop underground as it enters the map? Sometimes they'll refuse to take it.

bp920091

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary +5 Organizer
    • View Profile

Does the path to the depot immediately drop underground as it enters the map? Sometimes they'll refuse to take it.

Nope, dunno why they refuse to path to it...

enolate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Formal Statement of Ézum Oddomthidas, head of House Oddomthidas

Our house has long prided itself on our efficient mercantile abilities. But with success come jealous rivals and certain slurs about the source. I will be blunt we do indeed trade with Elves. But we are not Tree-@#!$ing Hippies as Sigun Kuletmistêm so delicately put it. Normally, trade secrets are best kept secret, but for the family honor, I feel I must make a full accounting.

It is no secret Elves are aggravating, ill-mannered, disgusting, vile, and quite malodorous beasts. One cannot be in proximity of an elf for even five minutes without thinking of warfare. But warfare can take many forms. Some of the more simple persuasion, the humans, the Shorasts (bless them) feel that warfare is best fought with axe and hammer. But we Dwarves know war takes many guises, among them the hammer, but also the word and craft. The most effective war is one the enemy does not even know he is losing.

Elves, you understand, demand the highest "ethical standards" for their goods. But they know little about how goods are actually made. While some find this a mere curiosity, House Oddomthidas finds this an opportunity. You see, we may have taken certain... liberties... in explaining the vagaries of smelting. While many lesser beings such as humans might stoop to using *shudder* charcoal in their spiked copper balls, we in the Molten Channels use only the finest bituminous coal in the production of our fine trap components. And while some might say that bituminous coal is pressed by Armok from the remains of vast forests on former worlds, Dwarven scientists actually believe that bituminous coal is the preserved joyous tears of former druids. The burning of bituminous coal releases a pleasant odor and the smoke and ash actually improve the quality of the forests overhead, providing them with more vibrant color and stimulating the rains to improve the foliage. The Elves were entirely unsuspecting and were delighted to purchase our shiny baubles.

Shorast accuses us of arming those who may be our enemies, but consider that these spiky balls are entirely useless without mechanisms, something Elves lack. Consider also, that we have taken the best of their cloth. And we also obtained their precious wood, which we will not treasure in our sanctuaries, but rather will send straight to the wood furnaces. What could make axes more lustrous than knowing the were forged with the obliviousness of our tree-hugging cousins? Consider further, the gleeful pleasure in knowing that Elves will now reverently stare at coal fires and at our metallic wonders for many days to come, without realizing these things should be anathemas to such phyllophilic folk. Could we really be said to be abetting the enemy? Should we deny ourselves the right to that pleasure.

But more than that, Shorast is perhaps too shortsighted to see the long-term outcome of our gambit. For every metal weapon the elves accept into their lives, every tree they unwittingly turn into a magma-safe corkscrew, every chunk of coal they worship puts just a bit more of the Dwarf in them. Perhaps in time we may liberate this strange people from their druids and show them the light.

This is the destiny of House Oddomthidas.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2013, 02:58:48 am by enolate »

enolate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I think I figured out the depot problem. There is no path to it that does not go over a stockpile. I have found in the past this can cause problems.

ShadowHammer

• Bay Watcher
  • God is love.
    • View Profile

Are all the overseers currently dorfed, or do we dorf ourselves on our own turn?

enolate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Are all the overseers currently dorfed, or do we dorf ourselves on our own turn?

Nope. We're all in there right now.

I'd post more journal entries from enolate and other dwarves, but it seems unseemly to be the only one posting in this thread.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2013, 05:14:43 am by enolate »

Matoro

• Bay Watcher
  • if you drive alone you drive with hitler
    • View Profile

I'll start playing tomorrow. Sorry, it has been busy. School and driving license etc. I haven't even touched the fort yet. 

EDIT: I'll skip my turn. My internet connection broke and there is too much other things. Whoever is the Next can play.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2013, 11:26:56 am by Matoro »

enolate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Any word from Vinedragon?

Vinedragon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Oh it's my turn? TIME TO RUIN EVERYTHING

Edit: Or not. My backup laptop apparently cannot run Dwarf Fortress, or in particular this fortress, above a few FPS. Sorry guys. I'll have to pass as well.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2013, 08:49:52 pm by Vinedragon »

bp920091

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary +5 Organizer
    • View Profile

Pictures updated

My inner sanctum has been actually constructed, albiet at a reduced quality and utility than i wished (a door, bed, chair, table, and that's it). I have been running myself ragged with organizing this fortress, and my newest plan will not be completed soon. An impulse elevator is to be constructed in the depths of the fort, to bring dwarves and material down and up of the main elevator shaft. These constructions are something of legend, as noone i have ever met has actually completed one before.

I also need to scribe down why Terry and I are at odds. In order to gain the power of impulse generators and elevators, i had to make a deal. A deal with armok. This deal was for the ability to generate infinite force, to completely shatter the laws of physics in the meantime. In return, armok demanded a soul and blood. I managed to trick terry to give his soul to armok, turning him into a necromancer in the process. I had no idea why terry's will to smite me was so strong, he didnt even know that i betrayed him until AFTER he was already a necromancer.

As for the sacrifice of blood, i must give Armok a sacrifice of blood in the area that i live. I will reside here, in this blood-drenched land until my debt is paid and Terry is defeated.

Terry has the power over life and death, while i have the knowledge to construct infinite force generators.

Turning to domestic matters, there is still the minion who i need to hand the so called "Keys" of the fortress over to.

I have two henchmen now, and one of them has to take the job.

Enolate has long since been my eyes and ears around my fort. He's completely loyal to me due to his appearance. While a dwarf, he looks uncannily like and elf. I call him thus, and his bretherin never fully accept him amongst their ranks. This is essential, as he can not only be my eyes and ears when i cannot see and hear, but he has nowhere to go if he does betray me.

Mebzuth Tunluslem has been promoted to my second henchmen after her incident with the goblin. The remainder of the fort either respoects or fears her, and she is excellent at being my voice and muscle. No one will disobey an order if it comes from an overseer and is said by the deadliest person in the fort. The fact that she was not a member of the military further promotes this. A soldier killing someone is expected, but a citizen executing an invader is incredibly powerful event in the eyes of minions.

After long consideration and thought, i have decided to give the title of overseer to Enolate. He has the most experience at running around the fort, knows how I work, how things should be done. For all of the impressive qualities of Mebzuth Tunluslem, she cant manage her way out of a sack cloth. She'd just fight her way out. A useful skill, yes, but not one that is suitable for an overseer position. She will remain as a hunter, taking orders from me, and being my essential bodyguard.

As for the time that i now have, i will continue mining in the depths, continually gaining ore for the fortress, and letting my eyes and ears take the reigns of the fortress.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2013, 09:34:11 pm by bp920091 »

enolate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I really feel like going down to the magma, rather than bringing the magma up, is a bit of a wasted opportunity. But I do not want to kill the fortress or any dwarves. I will read up on it. In the meantime, I'll update enolate's journal.

And we'll see if we can't get some hippos now that they are trainable.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 16