Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16

Author Topic: Whispersships: A History of Insanity (Succession Game; Looking for Players!)  (Read 24153 times)

Covenant Ringthane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Whispersships: A History of Insanity (Succession Game; Looking for Players!)
« Reply #210 on: September 20, 2013, 08:49:17 am »

May I join? I've always wanted to play in a succession fort :D
When it gets around to my turn, I'll probably "hijack" a fort member of the fort and dwarf myself, is this acceptable? (assuming my application is accepted)

zlob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Whispersships: A History of Insanity (Succession Game; Looking for Players!)
« Reply #211 on: September 20, 2013, 09:20:34 am »

May I join? :)
error: 'long long long' is too long

bp920091

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary +5 Organizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: September 20, 2013, 03:45:29 pm »

May I join? :)

Absolutely

May I join? I've always wanted to play in a succession fort :D
When it gets around to my turn, I'll probably "hijack" a fort member of the fort and dwarf myself, is this acceptable? (assuming my application is accepted)

You certainly can join.

As long as you dont screw over other people intentionally (ie, killing all named dwarves), you can go nuts.

Once you are overseer, your word is law. You basically become a god (even though most of the dwarves never quite get exactly what you meant)

If shadowhammer consents, you may go immediately Covenant Ringthane. No point in keeping the thread stalled.
I must make a note to buy some cats from traders at the next opportunity and see if I can chain up a breeding pair someplace clean. Having kittens wandering the hallways will be a good way of identifying patches of paralytic poison that still need to be taken care of.

ShadowHammer

• Bay Watcher
  • God is love.
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: September 21, 2013, 08:25:19 pm »

Shadowhammer does indeed consent. Amphibious assault vehicles (aka hippos) must be unleashed as soon as possible!

Covenant Ringthane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: September 21, 2013, 10:11:50 pm »

A few questions:

Amphibious assault vehicles must be unleashed as soon as possible!

Are said assault vehicles primed and ready, or does a technician have to fix them up? (are they already trained?)

SAVE

Is this the most recent save?

How long can I take? I doubt I'll take too long, but, just to be sure...

Oh, and my turn is an in-game year, right?

Do we have a designated graveyard/burial chamber/slab room? Because, ahem, relocating said burial ground is one of my goals...

Now, enough with the awkward sounding questions! Time to put on my dwarf bone armour and raise my dwarf bone axe! Uh, I mean elf bone, yes; I certainly didn't use the bones of the dwarves I mercilessly sacrificed to create an undead marksdwarf squad, certainly not.

bp920091

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary +5 Organizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: September 22, 2013, 03:08:42 am »

A few questions:

Amphibious assault vehicles must be unleashed as soon as possible!

Are said assault vehicles primed and ready, or does a technician have to fix them up? (are they already trained?)

Nope, Have Fun!

SAVE

Is this the most recent save?

Sadly, yes... The thread stalled for a little over a month (happens in succession forts from time to time).

How long can I take? I doubt I'll take too long, but, just to be sure...

Oh, and my turn is an in-game year, right?

Standard Succession Fort Rules are as follows:

• Turns take place within one in-game year, from Granite 1st to Granite 1st (leave the autosave option on, it'll stop things automatically).
  • Do not intentionally screw over the game (no tunneling into the circus when unprepared, no flooding the fort, no intentionally killing everyone (you screwing up certainly doesn't count, and we'll try and keep rolling with it).
  • Savescumming is frowned upon (reloading a save to undo a mistake), unless the game is nigh-unplayable without doing so. Things such as randomly flooding the fort for no intentional reason, killing everyone inside are a good example of when it's acceptable. Getting invaded and losing half the dwarves is not. That's just good fun.
  • Turns are generally one to two weeks long (Real Life time) before said person is skipped. Try and post regular reports (ie, dont save it all until the end), and be as descriptive as you want. Pictures are a bonus, but not required (they look nice though).

Do we have a designated graveyard/burial chamber/slab room? Because, ahem, relocating said burial ground is one of my goals...

... I dont think that anyone's died yet, or if they have, they are in my freezer-style tomb configuration (long hallways, parallel to each other, 3 tiles wide, with access in the center for coffins (purely aesthetic, as dwarves can walk over coffins)). Once you load the save, go nuts. It's your fort.

Remember though, you mess with another overseer's megaproject (if one exists), they will certainly mess with yours.

Now, enough with the awkward sounding questions! Time to put on my dwarf bone armour and raise my dwarf bone axe! Uh, I mean elf bone, yes; I certainly didn't use the bones of the dwarves I mercilessly sacrificed to create an undead marksdwarf squad, certainly not.

Think of it as dwarves putting their body and soul in a piece of art. Said art just happens to be an axe made from the dwarf that they had issues with...

I left the fort in a good enough condition that this should be easy.

Oh, one final statement of advice.

DO NOT DIG INTO THE SOUTHERN WALL ON THE MAIN LEVEL. it is an AQUIFER! It will FLOOD the entire fort!

Once you go a few levels down, it's all good though.

Have fun...
I must make a note to buy some cats from traders at the next opportunity and see if I can chain up a breeding pair someplace clean. Having kittens wandering the hallways will be a good way of identifying patches of paralytic poison that still need to be taken care of.

Covenant Ringthane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: September 22, 2013, 08:46:24 am »

Will do.

Oh, and answer me this: What do you get when you add a stubborn, untrainable hippo, a minecart and a group of aggressive goblins?

ShadowHammer

• Bay Watcher
  • God is love.
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: September 22, 2013, 11:03:55 am »

Fun, of course!

Covenant Ringthane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: September 25, 2013, 02:22:38 am »

{OOC: Sorry about the delay in starting - some real life issues popped up. I should be able to properly start tonight (so in about 4 hours) and I've already got a rough idea of what I want to do, so I'll probably have a proper update for you all within a day of this post, at the latest. In the meantime, I'll introduce you to my dorfed self, a woman by the name of Rue Ironheart (as I haven't specifically picked a dwarf to "possess", I'll be a little vague for the moment).}

The moment the sun rose, I fell into darkness. Not the sweet, comforting darkness of the mountainhome, nor the unsettling half-dark of the surface, or even the lethal darkness found in the caverns. It was... different. I felt as though I had be born to it. I could finally mould something with it! This body is mine to corrupt, purify or toy with. With a body and the darkness, I can reach my goal. My thoughts are jumbled and confusing, as they should be. I have forgotten my name. I stole the memory of your name. I was told by this thin- Fool! I am the Summoning Dark! Dwarf, it is I who granted your people your cavesight! Without me, your people would be- blind, stumbling around in the dark. So you say. In any case, I must ask; am I dead? No. I simply require your assistance. What could you, the mighty being that granted us our "cavesight", possibly need from me? Be silent, dwarf. I request your flesh. In fact, I demand it. Yet you are beyond my control. You see, I have no physical form. I cannot act, aside from driving people to insanity. For this reason, I am not known among mortals, nor the treehuggers and the greenskins. Yet when I entered you, you did not succumb. Instead, your consciousness was driven inside yourself, so that we may communicate. Because of this. I consider you worthy to carry out my purpose. Indeed, things have already conduced to my ends. I had a hand in driving the bee-dwarf mad, while his foolish successor thought it was he who did it. He too succumbed, although his is a more subtle madness. And now you are overseer of this fortress, for a time. Speaking of time, the moment has come for me to name you. Rue Ironheart, you are my right hand, the bearer of my will. You will find that no time has passed since you entered yourself. Now, go. If you doubt yourself, if you are ever unsure of what I require of you, remember this; seek deep rock.

Covenant Ringthane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: September 27, 2013, 08:40:44 am »

{OOC: I apologize for posting later than planned and there being no pictures and barely anything to say, but there's been a bit of trouble on the homefront. I'll still be able to finish on time, so don't worry about that, but it is a little irritating without pictures of my (not so) grand designs. I'll drop a few hints of who I hijacked in this post. Suffice to say, our girlie's mad, and she knows it. She still has a bit of practical dorfiness about her, though. My plans reflect that.}

I've taken to write a diary so I can look at my thoughts without this thing commenting on them. So far, it's remained silent. Perhaps it's just waiting for me to let my guard down. In any case, work has started on the goblin causeway, which uses the finest in dwarven science to provide a fitting welcome for our guests. Work has also begun the MPC, the Merchant Protection Construct, which, despite it's awkward sounding name in the Common Tongue, it has a beautiful name, and a wondrous meaning to go with it: <language switches to Dwarven> It is the Magma Processing Chamber, where we purify our magma, making it holy through the melting of human and elf bones. Of course, we must make sure to balance our need to make our magma sacrosanct with our fortress's desire for goods. Sadly, we have not created the magma pipe, but that is to be left to my successor. <switches back to the Common Tongue> If any human or elf comes into possession of this diary (ah, if only I could have used stone! Am I not a legend among engravers?! This "parchment" cannot imagine the majesty of my work! It breaks apart!) then know that the building is known as a place where "all races may gather in safety, which no foe can pass. If they were to breach it, the mere holiness of that place would break them utterly." But enough of that.

Work has also begun on the "flatrooms," places which my successor should take note of.

Sadly, I am called to my duty. I must decorate our deathtraps. See you, book, on the morrow!

Tieranus

• Bay Watcher
  • There are only so many bees in a hive.
    • View Profile

Whoa. Didn't expect you all to keep on like this.

Sorry for dropping off the map, but I figured since it was well underway, I wasn't needed as much. I'll try to keep an eye on the thread a few times a week, just to maintain a presence, if this is still going strong(ish).

enolate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Sorry for dropping off the map, but I figured since it was well underway, I wasn't needed as much. I'll try to keep an eye on the thread a few times a week, just to maintain a presence, if this is still going strong(ish).

Again. I'm really sorry for not responding. I just have a hangup about doing things when no one is around. It feels like talking to yourself and bragging at the same time. But, yay for an active fort again.

Covenant Ringthane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Again. I'm really sorry for not responding. I just have a hangup about doing things when no one is around. It feels like talking to yourself and bragging at the same time. But, yay for an active fort again.

I feel the same way (which is why there's been no real updates). I suppose I'll upload the file, along with an in-character summary of what's happened, in a day or two.

Covenant Ringthane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Gentledwarves, I have some terrible news: My computer decided to throw a hissyfit.

I planned to have uploaded the save by now, but, last night my desktop decided to shut itself off for no apparent reason and refused to fully start up. I tried everything I could think of to revive it (that's a fair bit, mind you) but to no avail. I'm going to take it to my local computer shop and see if they can fix it.

Thankfully I've got a notebook, so I can still play DF.

So, no save at the moment (or maybe forever). Just skip me and go to the next guy.

zlob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Would it be my turn now?
error: 'long long long' is too long
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16