Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Anybody a student of ancient languages  (Read 1766 times)

Urist McUristsonson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Anybody a student of ancient languages
« on: July 12, 2013, 06:36:28 am »

So I stumbled across a website called forgottenlanguages.org earlier. I've spent hours trying to figure this cryptic site out to no avail. All I've found so far have been creepy videos, what appears to be high level linguistics in various dead and/or unidentifiable languages, and repeated references to a recording studio called Ayndryl Records that doesn't seem actually to exist. Can anybody make heads or tales of it?

Aptus

• Bay Watcher
  • Indeed ôo
    • View Profile
Re: Anybody a student of ancient languages
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2013, 06:41:49 am »

I'm familiar with Assembly ;)

But on a serious note no I can't help you, learning latin is on my bucket list though.

Urist McUristsonson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2013, 06:45:03 am »

It seems that a lot of it is in some obscure dialect of Welsh. Or it looks like Welsh anyway. Google translate can't do much with it beyond pick out a few words here and there.

Aptus

• Bay Watcher
  • Indeed ôo
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2013, 06:48:07 am »

It seems that a lot of it is in some obscure dialect of Welsh. Or it looks like Welsh anyway. Google translate can't do much with it beyond pick out a few words here and there.

Either that or Gaelic.

Urist McUristsonson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2013, 06:53:21 am »

It doesn't seem to translate though. All I get are a few words here and there. It feels like trying to piece together a meaning behind the Voynich MS.

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2013, 06:58:21 am »

It's both Welsh and Gaelic from the looks of it. Also other languagues, some Slavic, some North Germanic, all kinds of stuff.

Most languages mentioned are legit extinct or ancient ones, some are fictional or related to various forms of occultism. A lot of it seems more concerned with occultism than linguistics per se.

Apparently this is some sort of encryption, they translate parts of articles into other languages to avoid getting found by Google or something:
http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=32801&PN=6&TPN=3
(Scroll down to read an explanantion by an admin).

Seems just like some weird conceptual stuff, "anti-language" and "the Invisible Internet".

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2013, 12:00:56 pm »

Wonder if Grant Morrison is the domain holder...

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.