Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13

Author Topic: Battletrials - Wayward Warriors (Community)  (Read 26209 times)

HectorX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Battletrials - Wayward Warriors (Community)
« on: July 12, 2013, 09:02:10 am »

Hello Bay12'ers! Long time lurker, longer-time reader of amazing succession/community games.

I have just been re-thralled by Dwarf Fortress and its epically random storyness, so I've decided to try my hand at a community game.

I have had an idea for a story bouncing around inside my head for a while, so I wanted to try and act it out using 34.11 without any mods except for a tileset.

What I am hoping is that I get to make it through as much of my storyline as possible. What I am really hoping for is for DF to do something incredible, forcing me to try and adapt the story on the fly.

I am a decent DF player however am still a relative newcomer so bear with me if I perform anything heinous. I will be doing a lot of screencaps to try and paint a picture of what's happening but I will also be spending a lot of time on story.

Any and all feedback welcome. :)

====

DORFED DORFS

ShadowHammer - An Engraver with a knack for marksmanship. Heroic death in a huge siege.
NRDL - A farmer with a desire to stab things with a giant stick. Victim of a silk shortage.
Sloth - Half miner, half warrior, all class. Heroic death in a huge siege.
Nix - Viking axedwarf Heroic death in a huge siege.
Lalasa - Friendly neighbourhood speardwarf One-hit kill.
TokimiDwarfy - She wears a dwarf bone earring Sadly forgotten in a hospital bed.
Crusoe - Marksdwarf ace. Got too sad and lost all hope.
Nixus - Speardwarf
Maverus - Exotic weapon expert
Marisa - New recruit

====

STORY POSTS

1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29

====

Introduction

Imagine a finely-engraved stone room, complete with tables, bar stools and a supply of booze that could drown an army of even the most tenacious goblins.

Now imagine the same room, but with every square inch of available space filled with sweat, vomit, blood and hairy blobs of muscular dwarfiness.

Welcome to the dining room of Zansongzon, or as it’s colloquially known, The Massive Helm, where our story begins. Two dwarves sit on either side of a table in the back corner, hunched over a piece of parchment detailing a map of the world.

These two dwarves were milita-dwarves. Comrades. Friends. Not that you would know it listening to them talk. One of them, a female by the name of Hatchy, snorted and looked up from the map at her male companion.

“This is the best map you could find, Jester? It looks it was dragged through a pile of reindeer and goblin intestines, pissed on, set on fire, then pissed on again.”

Jester raised an eyebrow. “Are you done?”

Rolling her eyes, Hatchy leaned back on her stool and nodded. “Continue.”

Jester, shaking his head, gestured to the map in front of them. He traced his finger from the Mountainhome to an area marked ‘The Furious Secret-Dunes’.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

“As I was saying, ‘your Highness’ –“

“Thank you.”

“ – this location has everything we need for Battletrials to succeed . It’s isolated, there’s a nearby river for water, the landscape is harsh and there are goblins nearby. I don’t think we’re going to do any better than this.”

Hatchy sighed, leaning forward and casting her eyes over the map. It did seem perfect, despite her loathing of sand and its tendency to lodge itself in every crevice on her body. She looked up at Jester and gave him a pained look. “Are you sure about the sand? We’re dwarves, not scorpions.”

Jester grinned and banged his fist on the tabletop. “Exactly! We want to find the best of the best, right? What better place to test our candidates than the desert?”

Hatchy yawned. “Right here, if they're listening to one of your speeches. I can almost hear my earwax growing”

Jester gave Hatchy a pained look of his own. She relented, smiling as she reached forward and grabbed Jester by the shoulder, giving him a friendly shake. “Cheer up,” she said, “I’m in. I’m sick of this place and yes, you’re right, we do want the best. Battletrials will be known throughout the Land of Omens as the home of the world’s most powerful warriors.”

Jester smiled wryly. “Or the most dismembered,” he said.

Hatchy laughed, slapping Jester on the back. “If nobody’s being dismembered, we’re not doing it right. Where’s the fun in everyone getting to keep their limbs?”

The Expedition

The two yaks trudged through the sand, hooves splayed as they struggled to pull their cargo behind them:  A wagon, laden with supplies, including two copper breastplates and weapons for Hatchy and Jester. The two militia-dwarves walked alongside the wagon as it slowly rolled through the massive sand dunes which dominated ‘The Furious Secret-Dunes’.

Jester turned to Hatchy, sweat pouring down his face and into beard. “So let me get this straight. Not only did you fail to convince anyone else from the militia to join us, but you could only get copper arms and armour? It’s almost like you want us to die.”

Hatchy looked at Jester and threw her hands in the air (not literally of course) in exasperation. “You’re right, how stupid of me. I should have brought the steel supplies. The ones that only the Captain of the Guard uses. Remember when Athel stole them from the armoury last year? Remember how far his eyes flew out of his skull when the Captain’s hammer hit him?”

“Of course, I was the-“

“They embedded themselves into the wall!“

“I remember, I had to clean the wall afterwards. Those eyeballs nearly punched a hole straight into the well.”

“Then don’t ask why we only have copper supplies!”

Hatchy turned away from Jester and huffed, walking ahead to where the dwarves who accompanied the two friends were struggling to traverse the sand.

“You used to be cool!” Jester yelled as she walked further forward.

Hatchy turned her head and flashed Jester a toothy smile. “Love you too.”

Jester grinned and took a big gulp of water from his flash, making a face as he did so. Blech, disgusting stuff, water. The wine was on the wagon, safely hidden under cloth blankets to protect it from the blazing sun. Reaching around into his backpack he pulled a scroll of parchment from its depths. Unfurling it, he went over the biographies of the miscreants Hatchy had conned into coming along.

Jester heard a creaking sound coming from the wagon. He looked up just in time to see one of the wagon’s wheels snap off the axle. The wagon itself hit the ground hard, splintering as the weight of its cargo crushed the planks. The wheel itself came barrelling towards him as it rolled away from the wagon. Jester dodged to the side, rolling through the sand as the wheel sped off down the track they had just been walking on, fading into the distance as it gathered momentum.

Jester sighed. He put his fingers to his lips and blew shrilly. Hatchy and the others, attracted by the noise of the wagon’s spectacular self-destruction, made their way towards Jester, eyes scanning the wreckage, mouths agape.

Jester examined the scene. The wagon was a write-off. The sun, already a giant ball of white-hot rage even in the early morning, was rising fast. He looked at his fellow companions. Putting on a brave face, he raised his arm and gestured towards the giant wall of sand next to them.

“Welcome to Battletrials.”

« Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 09:13:17 pm by HectorX »

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
Re: Battletrials - Wayward Warriors (Community Game)
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2013, 09:13:01 am »

PTW

May I have a dwarf?
« Last Edit: July 12, 2013, 09:17:36 am by NRDL »
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

HectorX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2013, 06:27:05 pm »

PTW

May I have a dwarf?

Sure thing! Jester and Hatchy are the only non-dwarfables due to the story, but do you have a preference for any of the others?

HectorX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2013, 08:38:40 pm »

If anyone else would like to be dorfed, please let me know!

"It's my first day!"

The seven sorriest bastards in the Land of Omens walked slowly around the remnants of their wagon, taking stock of their supplies.

Jester located a copper breastplate and war hammer, equipping both. He looked down at Hatchy, who was on her haunches trying to find her carpenter tools.

"Good idea," he said, crouching down next to her to help. "I can keep watch for anything dangerous while Likot is digging out the mountainside. We need a carpenter more than two guards."

Hatchy nodded but said nothing, grunting with exertion as she pulled hard at her toolbox, trying to extricate it from underneath the remnants of the wagon. Finally it pulled free, sending her flying backwards. Jester stood up, laughed, and walking over to where Hatchy was lying on her back. Reaching down, he grabbed her hand and pulled her to her feet.

"Thanks," she said, grimacing with pain and clutching her back. "Next time, do a better job at protecting me from myself."

Jester chuckled and made his way over to Fikod, who was standing in front of the large granite wall with Likot the miner, inspecting its surface.

"Fikod, we need to get everything inside as soon as possible. Let's dig through here and carve out a base camp for ourselves."

Fikod nodded in agreement, gesturing to Likot to start digging through the mountainside. Standing back as the miner struck the hard stone, he turned to Thikut the farmer and instructed him to gather the remaining food stores into a shady place until a food store could be dug.

Thikut did so, shaking his head sadly... not much survived the wagon's demise. Whole barrels of food were now a squishy mush underneath the wagon's splintered planks.

Likot dug his way slowly through the granite wall, tunnelling deep into the mountainside. Initially disheartened by the presence of sand inside the mountain, he was soon delighted to discover not only further granite, but orthoclase. No sand bedrooms for anybody!

Fikod and Jester came to inspect Likot's progress.

"Good work," Fikod said, "First priority is a food stockpile, so get started on that right away."

As Likot started digging out a food room, Jester instructed Hatchy and Sibrek the mason to construct carpenter and mason workshops on the edge of the mountain, to start preparing beds, rock pots and most importantly some doors to seal off base camp.

Likot emerged from the tunnel, approaching Fikod.

"I could really use some help in there. It's slow-going and if you want any of our food to make it through the month then we need to go faster."

Fikod thought for a moment, then called out to Besmar the Woodcutter. Without any trees to cut, he had been wandering around aimlessly.

"Besmar! Grab that spare pick and help Likot with the digging."

Grumbling but complying nonetheless, Besmar grabbed a pick and went to work helping Likot dig out the food stockpile.

Thikut grabbed some loose granite from the tunnel and started to build a small kitchen and still. Without a farming area set up or even animals to hunt, it would be largely futile, but many a fine mountainhome had succumbed to the cruel world with its surviving dwarves sucking booze from the stone under the still.

Jester and Hatchy walked down the tunnel into base camp, watching as the two miners completed not only the food stockpile, but a room for food preparation and a dining room.

Jester crossed his arms, frowning as he leaned over to Hatchy. "Why are there yaks in our dining room?"

Indeed, the two yaks which helped pull the wagon to its 'destination' were happily wandering around the dining room, their tails flicking the other dwarves in their faces.

Hatchy sighed, walking over to Fikod who was taking a "break" from barking orders. Jester couldn't hear what she was saying but based on her flailing limbs and the spit flying out of her mouth, he hazarded a guess that she was explaining, in great detail, what she would do to his organs and soft tissues if those yaks weren't dealt with.

Fikod quickly snapped his fingers at Jester and Besmar, pointing to the yaks and ordering them to be taken outside.

Luckily Jester had found a quick path down the mountain to the river which snaked its way through the desert sands. They left the yaks next to the water, but Jester worried that without any grass nearby for the animals to feed on, the dwarves would soon be feasting on hungry-yet-hydrated yak before too long.

Jester returned and asked Fikod to take him on a tour of the construction work. He was surprised to find that much had been done.

Not only had some sand been located within the mountainside, Thikut the farmer had already started planting pig tail and plump helmet crops using their precious seed stockpile. Also, a stockpile had been created outside for the dead vermin to be stored within, to prevent miasma and vermin guts being strewn throughout the camp.

The workshops necessary to produce gladiatorial weapons, armor and traps were being dug out by Likot, who with Besmar were already forming quite a mining duo. As well as this, a large general purpose stockpile had been created so that the wagon could be deconstructed and the remaining supplies brought to safety.

Lastly, some bedrooms had been carved out. With only 5 logs of wood available until the wagon was deconstructed, only 5 beds could be produced.

The dwarves met in the dining room to discuss the two who would miss out. Thikut volunteered to miss out on one bed, saying that he preferred to sleep next to his crops anyway due to his massive trust issues.

It came down to Jester and Hatchy. They drew from a clump of pigtails to see who got the short one, and therefore the last vacant bed.

Sighing, Jester sat down at the granite dining room table. Sitting down next to him, Hatchy threw her arm around his shoulders. "Cheer up," she said. "Somehow we've managed to get a base camp together without losing anyone- "

"It helps when we're halfway up a mountain and that the wagon scared everything off," Jester added dryly.

"NEVERTHELESS... we've done better than I thought we would."

Jester offered up a smile, leaning back in his stool. "Yeah I suppose you're right. Once this boring admin stuff is out of the way, we can get down to business. We need to sit down with Fikod and the miners to plan out the arena, cages for combatants, weapons, armor... still so much to do."

Hatchy nodded in agreement. "I agree. This admin stuff is completely boring. You're boring everyone with your boringness."

Jester opened his mouth to deliver a retort, when a piercing whistle was heard from outside. The dwarves rushed outside, finding Sibrek peering into the distance.

"What is it Sibrek?" Jester asked cautiously, his hand grasping the hilt of his war hammer.

Sibrek pointed out to the far west horizon.

"We have company."

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2013, 10:05:28 pm »

Could I please have Thikut Idenosir, the farmer, and can you train him to be a speardwarf? 

Preferably like a Spartan, with no armour but a helmet, and just a spear and shield. 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

ShadowHammer

• Bay Watcher
  • God is love.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2013, 10:55:31 pm »

This sounds epic so far. Could I be dorfed as well?
And if its not too much work, could I be trained as both a marksdwarf and a swordsdwarf, and then using the idea on this thread
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=124872.msg4165721#msg4165721
Destroy everyone in the arena with my superior tactics?

Note that you would probably have to manually assign a specific Xbow and sword for it to work.

EDIT: I'm assuming there's going to be an arena, because of the mentioning of gladiators and such. Am I assuming correctly?
« Last Edit: July 12, 2013, 10:58:16 pm by ShadowHammer »

HectorX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2013, 03:16:15 am »

Thanks for the feedback. :) You're correct, there will be an arena.

I have also assigned both of you to dwarves.

ShadowHammer I will do my best to get you a melee-competent Marksdwarf. :)

The next update should be in the next hour or two, will go into more details about the concept.

HectorX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2013, 05:58:27 am »

(Warning, words ahead! Also please let me know if my screencaps are easy to read. Am still coming to grips with getting the size right)

The new kids on the block

One after the other, caked in dirt and sand, the unknown dwarves made their way to the granite doors of Battletrials. There to meet them was Jester, copper short sword drawn. The six other base camp members were hiding in wait behind the tightly-shut doors, their available weapons at the ready in case this was an ambush. The camp's two dogs were growling quietly at the door, sensing the sudden increase in tension.

Jester raised his sword, pointing it at the unknown group. "Alright everyone, that's close enough."

One of the dwarves, a miner, raised his hands and slowly stepped towards the front of the pack. "Relax, brother dwarf. We have travelled from The Massive Helm in search of you."

Jester hesitated. "Errr... me?" He was taken aback somewhat. "Are you here to arrest me for stealing the wagon? Because it's... well..." Jester nodded in the direction of the destroyed wagon.

The miner laughed, shaking his head. "Not at all. We're here to join you. Word of your deeds has travelled all throughout the Mountainhome. We set out to find you so that we too could be tested in battle."

Jester was completely unprepared for this. He wondered whether Hatchy had been shooting her mouth off before leaving the Mountainhome. Still... they could use the extra help.

He warily stepped a few paces backwards towards the locked doors and banged the hilt of his short sword onto the brass handle. A loud clanging sound echoed through the mountain side, then the doors opened and the other members of base camp emerged into the sunlight.

Jester turned to his colleagues, then to the new group. "Everyone, meet the new kids. New kids, everyone."

The two groups murmured their greetings as Jester sheathed his sword. "Come inside. Make your way to the main dining room. There we will drink, eat, and I can explain our mission here.

Fikod piped up from behind him, "That's good, you can explain that to us too."

===

The new dwarves were sitting around the tables in the dining room, drinking heartily from the camp's supply of booze with the other members of base camp. Hatchy thought it was a bit odd how they were all sitting in pairs as opposed to mingling freely, but she shrugged and reached into her pocket.

The arrivals had submitted their papers to Fikod as they entered the base camp, which Hatchy had then stolen when Fikod refused to relinquish them.

She idly flicked through them.

First up, a miner... two miners.

Hatchy smiled. Maybe with these two, we can get everything up and running in half the time. Also, ore. We havent found any ore yet, and wooden weapons are such a turn-off.

Next, an engraver. Looks like he's already seen some action:

He'll come in handy though... we needed a Marksdwarf:

Hatchy made a mental note to scream whenever she was on his right-hand side.

Blergh, a nerd:

May need to keep her out of the arena... or make her the first one to go in. After the arena was built that is.

A glassmaker. Useful for making serrated traps that'd be perfect for gauntlet challenges:

A metalcrafter. My new best friend.

Aaaaaaand a wood burner.

Boring... wait a minute:

Hatchy grinned. Bingo. Useful after all.

She heard approaching footsteps. Looking up she saw Jester making his way over. He leaned against the wall she was resting on.

"Did you notice the pattern yet?" he said. His face looked like that of a child who had killed its first goblin.

Hatchy re-scanned the documents, unsure what Jester meant. It took her a moment, then she saw it.

No wonder they're all sitting as pairs... she grabbed a piece of chalk and started drawing circles around their names.

Kel the Miner, married to Logem the Metalcrafter
Stodir the Miner, married to Kosoth the Wood Burner
ShadowHammer the Engraver, married to Catten the Architect
Sazir the Glassmaker, married but was apparently smart enough to leave the husband behind.

Hatchy turned to Jester and laughed. "This is ridiculous," she giggled. "Here we are trying to build a gladiatorial arena of death and our first volunteers would probably be more at home at a swingers party."

Jester nodded in agreement, walking away as Hatchy collapsed to the ground in hysterics. He jumped up onto a table, faced the gathered dwarves and whistled.

Everyone quietened down, looking up at Jester as he addressed the group. "Firstly, let me welcome our newcomers. Their skills will be invaluable in the coming months as we transform this sandy wasteland into something every dwarf can be proud of.

Now that everyone's here and somewhat acquainted, I wanted to let everyone in on just what we want to accomplish here at Battletrials. Firstly, the goal of Battletrials is simple: find the toughest dwarves in the empire, train them, and try to kill them in front of hundreds of screaming fans."

Hatchy roared her approval. Catten the architect looked squeamish.

"It won't be simply 'drop them off the mountain top'," Jester continued, "but rather a gladiator spectacle. An arena worthy of the Dwarven Gods. Top training facilities. Everything that a worthy dwarf needs to become the best of the best.

It won't be easy, but then that's the whole point. From the sands of the Furious Secret-Dunes we will build, train and "recruit contestants" who will challenge our champions. Each year, there will be battles in the arena to test out those who feel ready to prove their worth. Those who succeed will be rewarded with fame and fortune. Those who win enough battles will win the chance to hang up their gauntlets and retire in peace.

But most importantly... those who fall will be celebrated as heroes."

Jester jumped down off the table. "So... ready to go?" he said to the group.

Everyone in the room exchanged glances with each other, then nodded.

"Well then," Jester said with a tooth-filled grin, "let's get to work."

« Last Edit: July 13, 2013, 06:04:55 am by HectorX »

HectorX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2013, 09:51:17 pm »

Jester and Fikod sat around the table of expedition leader's office. Jester was drinking from a barrel of dwarven ale while Fikod was flicking through reports from the last two seasons of management reports.

Jester wiped his mouth and let out a sigh. "I am not happy with how the last six months have gone," he said to Fikod.

Fikod frowned, not looking up from his papers. "I think we're doing quite well given the circumstances."

"Do you? I don't consider trading a few trinkets and finding some gems a success given what we set out to do."

Fikod looked up and pointed his finger at Jester. "No, it's not what you set out to do. I came along because Hatchy promised me fame and fortune. Finding gems certainly fulfills one half of that promise for me."

Jester looked at Fikod for a  few moments, then extended his hand. "Can I see the reports? Maybe I can pinpoint where we went wrong."

Fikod shrugged and handed them over.

===

16th Galena, 126

Thikut, or 'NRDL', the farmer reported the tragic death of one of our yak bulls. As previously suspected, bulls cannot survive on a diet of water and sand.

In order to prevent spoilage and loneliness-induced yak madness, we've had to butcher the surviving animal. Let its meat and organs sustain us better than we sustained it.

NRDL volunteered to perform the butchering work, as we had no dedicated butcher. He said he wanted the practice for the arenas.

Fikod, expedition leader

28th Galena, 126

The mining team and management had an altercation today about appropriate use of mining hours.

The miners believed that they had to cart discovered ore and gems up to the main base camp, as well as helping out with the harvest. Management disagreed, stating that they had 'lesser people' to fulfill the hauling duties.

The miners relented after Jester was 'volunteered' to help out with hauling, agreeing to ignore all discovered items in the quest to discover the ore which has so far eluded us in this mountain.

Jester objected strenously. His objections were noted and discarded.

Fikod, expedition leader

13th Sandstone, 126

ShadowHammer was growing impatient, saying to everyone who would listen (nobody was listening) that he was itching to get his training underway.

We're critically short of wood and ore, so while plans were made to try and deepen our mining efforts, we put ShadowHammer to good use smoothing out the stone in the dining room in order to raise the prestige of base camp. Goblins and Kobolds can't resist.

We've also ordered all loose stone in the dining room to be dragged to the stockpile, in order to hasten production of small crafts for any passing traders.

Fikod, expedition leader

24th Limestone, 126

Jester found some dwarves unconscious in the sands at the base of our mountain. We brought them to the fortress and revived them with some of NRDL's socks. Once the vomiting subsided the dwarves told us that they were part of a larger expedition to found an ocean fortress when their wagon was set upon by goblins. Only these three dwarves survived and crawled their way to safety.

We welcomed them to base camp and immediately put them to good use expanding our farming and mining operations.

We're now up to 5 miners, who have just reported their first success: native gold clusters! With these we can really start to generate some income for our base camp. Jester and Hatchy suggested dangling some gold trinkets outside our doors to lure thieves for our traps. I reminded them that we have not even constructed traps yet so that would be pointless.

Besides, that would be a waste of good gold.

Fikod, expedition leader

13th Timber, 126

There was much excitement in base camp today as a trading caravan from The Massive Helm arrived. They said they were friends of Jester who had wanted to see if everyone had died yet after placing some bets amongst themselves. They said that even though they had lost their bet they could still leave happy if they managed to sell us anything.

With them came a liaison from The Massive Helm, who sat down with me to discuss future profit-making opportunities.

To shut the military types up, I requested that when the traders return, they bring all the metal bars and leather they could, as well as burning materials to power the forges.

In return, the traders told us what was hip back at the Mountainhome, and what wasn't.

With our discussions concluded, I headed to the trading depot where the rest of the caravan waited. I traded our small rock crafts for all the wood they had brought with them, plus some iron bars for smelting once we find forge fuel.

The traders thanked us and departed. Everyone was relieved that they would be back next year.

Fikod, expedition leader

1st Moonstone, 126

Snow in the desert. Despite the assertions of Jester that  this area would be warm enough to avoid a freeze-over, that is exactly what we have.

Good thing we have slaughtered all the animals and have plentiful booze supplies, otherwise we would be in trouble.

Fikod, expedition leader

20th Obsidian, 126

Thieves! Sneaky little bastards tried to slip past our front door. However due to brilliant foresight on my part I had stationed our dogs at the entrance, who caught them in the act.

The dogs chased them off, one of the sustaining an injury to their paw. No matter, there are always more dogs.

Jester and Hatchy decided they could wait no longer, and ordered our miners to dig them twin training rooms on the upper levels.

I am unsure what they hope to accomplish without ore, but they said to 'trust them'.

Fikod, expedition leader

===

Jester put the papers back on the desk. "I am worried that you're not on the same page as the rest of us, Fikod," he said tersely. "From reading these, all you care about is money and making a profit off this place. That's not what Battletrials is about."

Fikod leaned forward across his desk. "What do you think makes a place like this sustainable? Trading. Money. If I hadn't ordered those rock crafts to be created then we never would have gotten enough wood to complete the beds, not to mention those iron bars-"

"Two bars. Big deal," Jester interjected.

"- it's more than what our miners have found. While I have complete faith in them I'm worried that we're going to have to obtain all our bars through trade. If so, we need crafts, gems, encrusted goods." Fikod sat back in his chair, resting his chin on the points of his fingers. "I know what I'm doing, Jester."

Jester looked at Fikod as one would look at an unpopular aunt. "Fine. While you do that, I've had a crossbow and some leather armour created for ShadowHammer to begin his training. I'm going to put him with Hatchy since he also expressed a desire to learn the short sword. I'm going to have a training spear created for NRDL so I can start his speardwarf training until we find something to smelt the iron bars you got."

Fikod waved his hand dismissively. "You do what you need to do, Jester. I'll get this place running like clockwork, and you get on with teaching people how to kill."

Jester stood up, gathering his booze barrel and putting it under his arm. "Just don't forget who brought us here. You may be in charge of the base camp but Hatchy and I are the ones everyone listens to."

Jester stormed out, booze in hand. Fikod sighed, then reached down and opened the drawer in his desk. Inside was a gold nugget that he picked up from the mines. He toyed with it in his hands, the yellow gleam reflecting in his eyes.

ShadowHammer

• Bay Watcher
  • God is love.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2013, 02:39:50 pm »

I like the new update. Fikod's greediness is a cool addition to the story.
And btw, if you made me a hammer/marksdwarf, then you could train hammering with my crossbow as a training weapon.
And how will the weapon traps in the gauntlet work? They won't target dorfs, unless you capture a web spinner and cover them with webs, which is often difficult. Or did you mod it?

Slothman400

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2013, 06:13:40 pm »

I'd like a dorf named Sloth. He should be a miner who fights with his pick.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug!

HectorX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2013, 07:48:18 pm »

I like the new update. Fikod's greediness is a cool addition to the story.
And btw, if you made me a hammer/marksdwarf, then you could train hammering with my crossbow as a training weapon.
And how will the weapon traps in the gauntlet work? They won't target dorfs, unless you capture a web spinner and cover them with webs, which is often difficult. Or did you mod it?

I am happy I found gold, that just made the greediness angle too good to pass up.

Also for the traps... darn. Curse my n00bness. May have to come up with other ideas for the glass. Perhaps a gauntlet course just for captured prisoners where bets are made to see who survives to the end?

I'd like a dorf named Sloth. He should be a miner who fights with his pick.

Deal.

Update coming up shortly!

HectorX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2013, 09:53:19 pm »

Politics suck

When you're a military dwarf, dealing with the schemes and ulterior motives that are associated with positions of power can leave one feeling drained, yet rage-filled.

This is how Jester felt after his run-in with Fikod, the expedition leader. He stormed away from Fikod's office, brushing dwarves aside, heading for his designated training room on the upper level. Upon reaching it he went into the stockpile, put on his breastplate and grabbed his war hammer.

The room's armour stand stood in the middle of the room, sculpted in the shape of a dwarf. Jester walked quickly towards it, war hammer at his side. He spun, arm outstretched, swinging the hammer around in a rapid arc.

Thunk!

The head of the armour stand hit the soft sand floor, sheared off by the sheer brute force of Jester's attack. Jester himself stood there, breathing deeply as he stared daggers at the decapitated head, wishing it was Fikod's.

"Something on your mind?"

Jester spun around, hammer at the ready. Hatchy was leaning against the sandy archway to the training room, clad in her breastplate, looking slightly amused. Jester slowly swung his hammer through a few infinity loops, loving the way the hammer hummed as it cut through the air, then turned and aimed a kick at the armour stand's torso, knocking it to the ground.

"Not anymore," he said. "I just want to get on with training."

Hatchy nodded, unsheathing her own sword from its scabbard. "Let's get some training in, shall we?"

===

Inundated

Fikod stood at the entrance to base camp with Sloth the miner going over the latest progress reports on the mine shaft. Fikod, unhappy about the depletion of the gold nugget vein, looked up in vexation. He then squinted... what was that mass of bodies on the horizon?

After a few moments, it became apparent.

Dwarves. Dozens of them. Battletrials was being invaded by fortune-seeking migrants.

They poured into the front doors like a tidal wave of hair, odour and chanting. Fikod did his best to obtain papers from each person before they swarmed into camp.

Jester and Hatchy heard the rumblings from upstairs and rushed down to the main corridor, watching in amazement as the raucous mob piled into the front doors and into their booze supplies.

When the crowd dissipated Fikod walked over to where the two were standing, carrying an armful of papers.

Hatchy blinked at the sight of Fikod staggering under the mountain of papers. "Good grief. We're in danger of becoming a legitimate town."

Fikod snorted, slowly going through the papers he had collected. Battletrials had just gone from 17 dwarves to...

(If anyone wants specific dwarf bios let me know, but I thought that putting up nearly 30 dwarf bios pro-actively would be a bit much!)

Fikod and Jester both smiled as they went through the newcomer's details, but for totally different reasons.

Seven miners... excellent.

Fresh meat... excellent.

Jokers and Heroes

Jester and Hatchy gathered some volunteers from the local population into the two training rooms. The two leaders had already agreed that they couldn't both be in the same team, so they split the 8 volunteers into two groups. Each team had three dwarves with prior combat experience, plus one dwarf with no skills who they could nurture.

The fresh-faced recruits grabbed what little equipment was around; leather armour and some bone helms. Jester and Hatchy told the recruits that they would start off with the basics, working on balance, positioning and wrestling skills.

Two recruits already had ideas in mind for their equipment.

NRDL decided he needed to be like his farm plots: simple yet efficient.

ShadowHammer told Hatchy that he wanted to show everyone that Marksdwarves are not just at-range fighters. Therefore Hatchy ordered a wooden crossbow to be made until a metal one could be traded for:

With that... they got to work. The training rooms were finally buzzing with activity as Hatchy and Jester led their charges in combat demonstrations and sparring sessions.

Rimtar, one of the new recruits, told Hatchy that he had developed a new dodging training regime. Hatchy agreed to let him show the other recruits in their group. Every advantage over the Jokers would be crucial!

===

New ties

Fikod heard the clangs and cries from the barracks upstairs, but paid them no mind... he had a town to run.

He ordered a further expansion of the mines, seeking more gems and gold nuggets. Without the fuel necessary to smelt the nuggets into bars, his plan was to find enough gems to trade off for wood, coke and charcoal. Those military dwarves were also insistent on obtaining metal...

Fikod had been receiving complaints about the lack of beds. Without wood to make new beds the dwarves had been forced to hot-bunk on the few beds which had been built. That problem was soon fixed:

The graceful elven trade leader was wined and dined within Fikod's private office. The elves were impressed with the gems that Battletrials had collected, which Fikod used to pry all the wooden logs from the elven caravan.

Once trade had concluded, the trade leader and Fikod shook hands and parted ways, with Fikod promising more riches if they returned.

With the wood problem sorted:

Fikod ordered the production of beds and cage traps.

Kill two wrens with one bolt... well-rested civilians will leave me alone and Jester's cage traps can finally be built.

The town of Battletrials celebrated, albeit in slightly different ways:

Ethereal influences

Jester and Hatchy were walking through the main fortress corridor, comparing how their squads were doing after the first month of training.

Jester pointed to his roughly-scribbled notes. "NRDL has already shown improvements in his dodging and the usage of his spear. He's definitely the top candidate so far."

Hatchy snorted. "Are you kidding? ShadowHammer developed a combat technique where you run forward, perform a slide-tackle while shooting a crossbow, throw the empty crossbow at the target's head while still sliding, then use a sword to hack their nads off while they're dazed and off-balance. We're calling it the "ShadowHammer Neuterific Slide-Tackle".

Jester blinked. "But what if your target is a female?"

Hatchy blinked as well. "How does that change the scenario?"

Jester was so busy trying to wrap his head around Hatchy's words that he didn't notice Edem, the potter newcomer, shuffling towards them. Jester walked into his shoulder, getting knocked into the wall of the corridor. Edem spun around repeatedly in place as Jester, snarling, turned around and drew his hammer. Hatchy grabbed Jester's arm and pinned it against the wall, stopping him from swinging.

"Don't swing," she said softly. "Look at the eyes..."

Jester squinted at Edem's eyes... they were pure white... empty...

"That's not right at all, "Jester said quietly. "Let's follow. No telling what's about to happen."

Edem, spinning momentum spent, resumed his shuffling walk towards the workshop district. Jester and Hatchy followed close behind, weapons at the ready. This continued until they reached the Craftsdwarf workshop, where Sibrek the mason was working on some rock pots.

"Get! Out!" Edem howled, his voice sounding like a thousand chains rattling inside a thousand echoing caverns.

Sibrek looked up, saw Edem's eyes, and promptly ran for his life, past a bewildered Jester and Hatchy.

Edem shuffled out in the hallway to where some loose granite stone was lying discarded by the miners. Picking up first one stone, then another, Edem set about collecting three granite blocks and returning them to the Craftsdwarf shop... he then got to work.

Jester and Hatchy watched, transfixed, as wispy tendrils emerged from Edem's eyes, nose and ears, forming into crude hands as they took up tools and started molding the granite blocks. They worked with super-human speed, almost too fast for the eyes to follow. Before long, the four granite blocks had vanished. With one last howl, the smoky appendages disappeared back into Edem. There was a bright flash and a thunderclap and was Jester watched in horror, Edem was thrown against the far wall. Jester rushed towards the slumped dwarf, who had been knocked out cold.

Hatchy herself walked over to the workbench, picking up the object that had been created. She was...

... slightly underwhelmed. She raised the flute to her lips and blew. It produced a sound that only a flute made of solid stone could make: vast amounts of saliva being splurted out of a narrow cylinder.

Edem stirred in the corner, slowly regaining consciousness. "W.. what happened?" he said, groaning as he sat up against the wall.

Hatchy turned and held the flute out to Edem. "Congratulations. You are the first member of the Battletrials orchestra."
« Last Edit: July 14, 2013, 10:40:33 pm by HectorX »

ShadowHammer

• Bay Watcher
  • God is love.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2013, 05:45:50 pm »

Shadowhammers neuterific slide tackle?  ???
Lol that's awesome.  :P

HectorX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2013, 04:33:39 am »

Shadowhammers neuterific slide tackle?  ???
Lol that's awesome.  :P

Yeah I'm not sure where I pulled that from...! Glad you found it awesome though.

===

Driven to distraction

NRDL was making his way to gladiator training. He had proven himself to be a worthy combatant during the three months since training had begun. His infectious grin and complete disregard for his own personal safety had earned him a reputation as a fearless combatant. Jester had even earmarked him for the first arena combat event. Needless to say, he was on a high. He had been too excited to even drink booze, so after a few days of not drinking he was parched.

So why was this particular morning worth mentioning? Well, NRDL had one fatal flaw. He loved his crops. From sleeping in between the furrowed plots of each seed to naming each of his farming tools, his love of his 'children' as he called them was seen by some as more than a little strange. Strange, but ultimately harmless.

The approaching gladiator combat got NRDL thinking about what would happen if, somehow, he died. Who would remember him? Would he be engraved in the stone of the dining room? Would they make a statue of me?

... MY CROPS! OH MY GOD I MUST MAKE MY CROPS IMMORTAL! I MUST PRESERVE THEIR MEMORY!

Fikod heard the commotion caused by NRDL's sudden and frantic efforts to make a tribute to his precious plants. He made his way through the throngs of dwarves surrounding the Craftsdwarf shop to see NRDL babbling and running around the shop. Fikod saw that some granite and leather had already been piled in the corner, as well as some of the precious gems that had been cut.

Fikod was furious, stalking towards NRDL and grabbing him by his collar. "Just what do you think you're doing with those gems!? They are for trade and you have no right-"

"SILK CLOTH! SILK CLOTH! SILK CLOTH!"

NRDL's eyes rolled back into his head as he screamed the two words over and over again into Fikod's suddenly-surprised face. Fikod let go of NRDL and took a few paces back, watching NRDL walk around in circles screaming about cloth. NRDL tried to get past Fikod to get to the main stockpile, but Fikod stood right in his path, arms outstretched, blocking his path.

One of the dwarves in the crowd shouted out, "Someone get the silk cloth from the stockpile."

"NO!" Fikod roared, turning and addressing the crowd. "We do NOT reward thieves and psychopaths in my town. Nobody give him any silk cloth. If I hear of anyone helping him with his fool errand I will hang them outside for the goblins."

The dwarves in the crowd looked at each other uneasily as Fikod barged his way back through the crowd and disappearing down the corridor.

NRDL kept walking... screaming... the dwarves did nothing but look on helplessly as NRDL's cries grew more pleading. He alternated between walking and screaming and standing bolt upright, staring right at the gathered dwarves with increasing looks of sheer terror and panic as he struggled in vain to convince the others to help him preserve the memories of his 'children'.

Still he kept walking... still he kept screaming...

Fikod had gone to the door at the report of more migrants arriving from the Mountainhome. He welcomed them, gesturing towards the main dining hall. NRDL's screams could still be heard echoing through the corridors as the newcomers made their way inside the town's granite doors.

Just in time too. The buzzards who had - rather ominously - gathered overhead were hungry.

===

Breaking point

Back at the Craftsdwarf shop, NRDL had stopped pacing. He sat down in the corner, sobbing uncontrollably. One of the dwarves in the crowd plucked up the courage and started moving towards him. Crouching down next to his weeping form she put a hand on his shoulder.

"I'm so sorry," she said, "is there anything else we can get you? Booze?"

NRDL stopped crying. He stood up suddenly, sending the brave dwarf tumbling backwards. Turning around to face the crowd of dwarves he screamed incoherently and ran head-first into the crowd, yelling madly. The dwarves parted rapidly and watched as NRDL screamed his way down the corridor, bouncing off the walls.

He ran through every corridor. He screamed so much that his voice went hoarse. His strangled attempts at screaming were the first thing that the 2nd wave of migrants of the season saw as they made their way through the doors to Battletrials.

Everyone who tried to talk to him was met with hysterical crying and wheezing as he stripped his clothes off, running around naked. He made his way to his beloved farm and collapsed next to his latest crop of pig-tails, sobbing.

Hours passed... days passed... there NRDL stayed, next to his crops.

===

Oblivious

Jester and Hatchy had been sparring with their teams during a gruelling week-long continuous session designed to test endurance, strict orders forbidding outsider access and the clang of metal on metal having obscured the sounds of NRDL losing his mind. They were exhausted but in high spirits as they had just finalised the dig-site for their arena entrance. The miners were prepping to tackle it once they had finished extending the mine shaft down another level:

Not only that, they had caught their first creature!

It was nothing special but it proved that the traps worked. Encouraged by their success the Hunters had petitioned Fikod to set aside some wood purchased from the next trade convoy for more cages, while Catten got to work on more mechanisms.

Jester was demonstrating a bashing technique to one of his charges when Sloth the miner appeared at the door of the training room in contravention of the standing orders, waving to get Jester's attention.

"Alright Jokers, that's enough. Get out of here," Jester said, throwing his hammer over his shoulder and making his way over to Sloth. "Yes Sloth, what was so important it couldn't wait?"

"Well," he started by saying, "I'll give you the good news first. The front of the arena entrance has been dug out successfully and Phase 2, the viewing platform and combat area has been mapped out. We can start right away."

Jester beamed and slapped Sloth on the back excitedly. "That's wonderful news! About damn time too. So what's the bad news?"

Sloth grimaced, nodding in the direction of the staircase down to the main level. "You should probably go down to the farms... see it for yourself."

Jester opened his mouth to say something but Sloth looked down, avoiding Jester's gaze.

"Alright then," Jester said, moving past Sloth down the corridor, "But get started on the arena as soon as you can."

===

Pig tails

Jester made his way down the stairs and immediately came across a crowd of dwarves outside the entrance to the farming plot. Upon seeing Jester they parted in the middle, letting him move through. He was shocked to see his friend NRDL, naked, barely conscious, lying next to his pig tails crop. Jester rushed forward, kneeling next to NRDL, shaking him roughly.

"NRDL? Wake up! Jeez you haven't drunk for days. What happened to you?"

NRDL's eyes opened slightly, his cracked lips parting in a grin as he reached out to stroke his pig tail crops. "It's OK... I'm with my children..." he wheezed.

His eyes closed.

Jester could only watch on helplessly as the life left the body of one of the original seven... his protegé.

The dwarves who had gathered saw Jester murmuring a farewell message, signing unknown symbols over his head.

Catten, who was in the crowd, could swear that she saw a tendril of smoke hovering over NRDL's body as Jester was performing his ritual. She looked to her left and right yet nobody else seemed to react to it. She watched, fascinated, as the wisp of smoke slowly became a blanket on the ceiling, moving over the crowd. Suddenly it descending and she could only gasp as it invaded her eyes, nose and ears.

She coughed, choking for air, until the smoke had completely disappeared into her body. She... felt fine.

Completely fine.

Maybe I'll go make some mechanisms.

Jester walked out too, but his head wasn't full of smoke and mechanisms.

It was full of questions. Questions that needed answering.

===

Sorry NRDL... you craved the one thing I didn't have. :(

But look on the bright side, you're unofficially possessing Catten!
« Last Edit: July 16, 2013, 04:41:55 am by HectorX »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13