Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 13

Author Topic: Battletrials - Wayward Warriors (Community)  (Read 26198 times)

HectorX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Battletrials - Wayward Warriors (Community Game)
« Reply #30 on: July 19, 2013, 05:59:26 pm »

Very nice.

Thanks! :D

Just a heads up, it's anniversary weekend with the better half so I'll be somewhat unresponsive (driving to the beach!).

The story shall continue in a few days.

HectorX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 24, 2013, 05:20:15 pm »

Am back! I will be putting through an update tonight.

ShadowHammer

• Bay Watcher
  • God is love.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 24, 2013, 06:28:00 pm »

Yay! your not dead, after all!

HectorX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 25, 2013, 07:01:00 am »

Yay! your not dead, after all!

Not quite. :)

OK, time to get back into the rhythm.

===

Martial law

With Fikod dethroned, whereabouts unknown, the gladiators set about restoring order to the reeling town of Battletrials.

Their first problem - food and booze - had been taken care of courtesy of Ilral the broker and some generous elves.

Jester and Hatchy gathered the gladiators into the town centre, forming a station which monitored all dwarves coming and going throughout the main thoroughfares... if anyone was going to go crazy and start a slaughter-fest, they would have to get past the soldiers... eventually.

Slowly... but surely... everything started to calm down. The dwarves of Battletrials, having beaten themselves into submission, started to pay attention to basic instructions and resume regular daily routines.

But there had been casualties. While Sloth kept watch over the corridor leading to the outside world, pick axe at the ready, the two squad leaders were huddled together near the main stockpile, writing up a casualty report from the last several days of rebellion.

Meng... beaten to death by Jester.

Morul... descended into a frenzied madness and had to be relieved of her head.

Ushrir... the Good Samari-dwarf, tried to stop Kosoth from pummelling the Metalcrafter. Least it was over quickly... one punch... thought Jester.

Those were just the deaths; casualties also included those who were beyond salvation emotionally.

Tun... sobbing pathetically in his bedroom, refusing all help, food and even booze.

Udib... upon seeing his fellow dwarves set upon each other he lost all hope, wandering the halls in a daze.

"I'm going to miss him the most," Hatchy said somberly.

Jester looked bemusedly at his partner. "You didn't even know him. Why are you going to miss him?"

Hatchy raised her hands in mock innocence. "He has a cool name!"

"What, Udib? Not that great," Jester said.

Hatchy shook her head and pointed at Udib's second name on the casualty report.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Jester suppressed a smile, composed himself. "Very mature Hatchy. This is serious business."

Hatchy rolled her eyes. "This happens in every fortress. Everyone gets along, the person in charge goes mad with power and forces everyone into slave labour, anarchy..."

"Yes," Jester said, cutting her off, "But it wasn't supposed to happen here. At least... not until I had had the chance to go mad with power."

Hatchy chortled. "Yes because I would let that happen wouldn't I?"

Semblance of order

As calm continued to descend over the town, Jester thought it was worth the risk of putting up the casualty reports in the main dining area. In an attempt to soften the blow he had put together a small memorial notice which also advertised the immediate commencement of engraving works in the dining room.

The dwarves gathered in the dining room as Jester hung the notice on the wall. One by one they read through the notice:

Memorium for Battletrials

You brave folk of Battletrials,
Dwarves both tired and drained,
Peace has nearly been restored,
Yet relations may be strained.

This dining hall will be engraved,
To remember those who died,
Their brave memories will live on,
In etchings carved with pride.

Your brother in arms,
Jester

Also a reminder, there is a 5,000 booze barrel reward for the capture of Kosoth, wanted for murder. He was last seen in the workshop wing.

One of the dwarves, Ezum, was already feeling emotionally from the stress of seeing Udib - a fellow Ranger - succumb to the horrors of the rebellion. Her turn came and she read the poem.

She didn't know whether it was the bad poem, the fate of Udib, the warrant for Kosoth or both, but something snapped inside her. She let loose a horrifying roar from deep within herself, shaking the very mountain with its violence.

Every dwarf in the dining room spun around in shock, watching as Ezum ran out of the room, down the corridor.

Karma is a bitch

ShadowHammer was standing at the entrance to the workshop wing, performing a sweep for Kosoth the fugitive. Hatchy was with him and together they criss-crossed the hallways. They had been at this for hours but their efforts so far had been in vain.

As they reached the end of the corridor and turned to double back, they spied motion just inside the metalsmith workshop. Hatchy watched as a head quickly ducked back inside the workshop hallway.

"Hey! You there!" Hatchy called out, drawing her sword.

A dwarf bolted out of the workshop - Hatchy immediately recognised it as Kosoth - and ran for the main hallway. Hatchy and ShadowHammer gave chase but being at the other end of the long workshop corridor, they knew it'd be a futile effort.

Kosoth looked over his shoulder as he ran, grinning as he saw how far ahead he was-

Thud!

Kosoth ran head-long into the chest of Ezum the Ranger, flying backwards and landing on the flat of his back. Dazed, he could only stare upwards in horror as Ezum raised a fist, roared and punched Kosoth so hard in the head that her fist plunged straight through the dwarf's skull, coming out the back and cracking the stone floor.

The two gladiators stopped dead in to their tracks, jaws dropped, as Ezum put her foot on Kosoth's lifeless shoulder, braced and pulled her arm back violently. Such was her rage that she pulled Kosoth's head clean off his body. Blood poured out of the neck stump as Kosoth stared Hatchy dead in the eye.

She said one word.

"Revenge."

Still carrying Kosoth's head, she strode forward, past the speechless gladiators, into the Tanner's workshop.

Hatchy slowly walked towards the Tanner's shop, hearing the sounds of hammer on bone and the wet sounds of flesh hitting the stone floor. She peeked her head round the corner and saw that Ezum was... crafting. Using Kosoth's skull as her material.

Trying to suppress her nausea she watched as Ezum worked. ShadowHammer joined her and together they watched Ezum whittle down the skull with super-dwarven ease.

Then, just as suddenly as she had started, she was finished.

Ezum held up the earring - still dripping with Kosoth's blood - admiring her handiwork. She wiped it clean with a cloth then threaded it through the hole in her ear. She turned to the two somewhat-pale dwarves at the door, and... smiled. Her blood-rage vanished, replaced by a serene calm that washed over her body.

"In memorium," she said softly, walking out of the workshop.

===

Just like riding a bike...

TokimiDwarfy, I was saving Ezum for you, just wanted to write out that part of the story first. :)
« Last Edit: July 25, 2013, 07:07:47 am by HectorX »

PatriotSaint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 26, 2013, 07:46:09 pm »

So, I've been watching since the relative beginning, and I should've posted earlier.

When convenient, I'd like a male marksdwarf by the name of Crusoe. Feel free to train skills from the bottom if necessary or wanted.

Can't wait until we get to the point where the arenas are fully up and running. Save me a seat. ;)

*of course, assuming everybody hasn't made trinkets out of each other by then

HectorX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 28, 2013, 06:20:51 pm »

Hey all,

Sorry for lack of updates over the weekend, it turned out being a lot busier than I originally thought!

I plan on doing one tonight, however wanted to ask those who are reading this for some advice...

I dug out a prisoner area right next to the arena, with an opening at the top that prisoners can be dumped into. However I'm worried that when I open the doors that connect the arena to the prisoner area, the prisoners won't rush out to attack the gladiators who will be in the arena.

Would you suggest I ditch the storage area and extend a pit over the top of the main arena, then dump the prisoners directly into the arena itself?

ShadowHammer

• Bay Watcher
  • God is love.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 28, 2013, 07:55:37 pm »

I would indeed recommend doing that. Makes it much quicker to start fights.

HectorX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 28, 2013, 08:17:29 pm »

Excellent. I am learning so much from this fortress. :P

ShadowHammer would you like to take on the goblin that is currently sitting in the cage? Will probably be within the next 1-2 updates.

My plan was:

- Spend each week building up the fortress/training the gladiators
- On Fridays and Saturdays, have at least one fight on each of these nights depending on whether we have anything captured.

When convenient, I'd like a male marksdwarf by the name of Crusoe. Feel free to train skills from the bottom if necessary or wanted.

Can't wait until we get to the point where the arenas are fully up and running. Save me a seat. ;)

*of course, assuming everybody hasn't made trinkets out of each other by then

I have a few Marksdwarf Hunters kicking around still (unsure about gender, will check when not at work), so this should work out well.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2013, 08:19:43 pm by HectorX »

ShadowHammer

• Bay Watcher
  • God is love.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 28, 2013, 08:37:58 pm »

ShadowHammer would you like to take on the goblin that is currently sitting in the cage?
Sure! First arena match would be a great honor!

HectorX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 28, 2013, 10:44:13 pm »

ShadowHammer would you like to take on the goblin that is currently sitting in the cage?
Sure! First arena match would be a great honor!

Alrighty. I'm finalising all armour. The idea is that the enemies have their normal armaments so there is always the risk you won't make it out the other side.

But that's the whole point right? ;)

Lalasa

• Bay Watcher
  • And then there will be none
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 28, 2013, 11:03:54 pm »

This is one awesome community story.  I read the whole thing that's been posted so far and I love it.  Dorf me please?  I don't care who I am as long as I'm female and I'm "Lalasa".

I can't wait for the next update.  :)

HectorX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 28, 2013, 11:49:05 pm »

This is one awesome community story.  I read the whole thing that's been posted so far and I love it.  Dorf me please?  I don't care who I am as long as I'm female and I'm "Lalasa".

I can't wait for the next update.  :)

Thanks for the kind words! :) And sure thing. Do you want to be a gladiator or a non-combatant? Figured I would at least offer the choice.

Lalasa

• Bay Watcher
  • And then there will be none
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 29, 2013, 12:27:13 am »

I don't mind being a gladiator!  Warrior-woman gooo!

HectorX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 29, 2013, 07:51:04 am »

Somewhat unexpected

Kivish was not what you'd call 'spritely', 'young' or 'over-emotional'. She was an old bat of a dwarf, set in her ways, ridiculed by the young and ignored by the adults of The Massive Helms purely for being old.

So trekking through a vast sandy waste-land in the middle of the summer season was - putting it mildly - slightly unexpected for someone like her.

Yet there she was, her and a bunch of other sorry wretches from the Mountainhome, trudging through the sandy dunes. She stumbled several times as she struggled to traverse the unforgiving landscape, yet each time she fell, she got up and powered on.

Finally she reached the imposing granite doors of Battletrials. The dwarves cheered in exhausted ecstasy as their long journey had finally come to an end.

Their cheers faltered as they came closer to the main gates. Their welcoming party wasn't what they were expecting.

"Hmmm," Kivish clucked softly to herself as she strode through the ghost, which was sitting on the steps of the fortress, sobbing quietly, staring intently at its own corpse rotting on the stockpile outside.

Kivish pushed open the mighty doors to Battletrials and, blinking her eyes to adjust to the low light, made her way into the fortress. Her fellow trekkers followed after her, readjusting their heavy packs as they looked around the polished stone hallway leading from the entrance, talking excitedly amongst themselves.

They had arrived at mighty Battletrials, the rumoured bastion of brute strength, combat prowess and... blood-soaked walls. The evidence from recent violence which had beset the fortress was still strewn across the main hallways. The newcomers stepped gingerly around blood pools and crumpled clothing as they walked towards what looked like the main dining.

Two dwarves emerged from the gloom at a run, rapidly approaching the group of migrants. One of them, a bald male with a ludicrous beard, tripped and landed flat on his face, sliding several metres along the smooth floor, coming to a rest against Kivish's foot. The other dwarf, a female, also fell over, but from the force of her laughter.

"Ahem." Kivish coughed, looking down at the swearing male dwarf. He got up, straightened his copper breastplate and addressed the group as though nothing had happened.

"Hello newcomers. You can ignore what just happened. My name is Jester and the giggling idiot behind me is Hatchy. Welcome to Battletrials. Ignore the blood."

Relief

Kivish was a guest in Jester's rather sparse office. The two of them and Hatchy had excused themselves from the inevitable newcomer party in order to discuss the recent events within the fortress. Kivish listened intently as Jester, leaning forward heavily in his seat, recounted the conflicts between himself and Fikod, the brutal death of Meng and the violence which ensued that nearly destroyed the fortress. His voice turned dark as the story turned towards the continued disappearance of the former expedition leader and his crony Cog, before breaking as he told the tale of the two melancholic dwarves who still wandered the fortress, inconsolable, wasting away before the eyes of those who were left.

When he finished, his head hung low. Hatchy came over and kneeled beside her friend, putting a reassuring arm around his shoulder. Kivish, who had remained silent throughout the story, spoke up.

"Can I offer an opinion?" she asked. Jester nodded, still not meeting her gaze. She hesitated for a moment, choosing her words carefully. "I think you two messed up."

The two dwarves looked up at her, shock evident on their faces. "Excuse me," Hatchy growled, "But what gives you the right to-"

"Shut up," Jester interrupted, shrugging off Hatchy's arm and burying his face in his hands. "She's right. We got so caught up in training that we let Fikod go mad with power."

Kivish smiles faintly and shook her head. "That's not what I meant. You messed up because you didn't kill him right away. The moment a dwarf thinks he's better than the fortress, you crush him. You went soft and were punished for it."

Jester and Hatchy looked at each other, then at Kivish. The two dwarves realised immediately that Kivish, despite her appearances, wasn't a dwarf who should be messed with. Everyone was silent for a few moments, letting Kivish's words sink in.

Finally Jester broke the silence, his voice low. "I understand if you don't want to stay here." Kivish laughed, then got up and made her way over to Jester, putting a hand on his shoulder and looking him squarely in the eye. She let a grin creep across her face. It wasn't one filled with malice or mocking, but a conspiratorial one.

"I'm not just going to stay. I'm going to run this place with you.

Jester and Hatchy exchanged glances again, with Hatchy snorting derisively. "You? What makes you think that you have what it takes to run Battletrials with us?"

Kivish looked at her. She let her eyes narrow. "I have no use for gold or trinkets, I get enough of that from my idiotic friends. I came here to get away from backstabbing politics, so I am hardly going to start trouble." She took a step closer to Hatchy. "I also know you two don't have the wisdom, experience or the heart to run this place and train your gladiators," she said, nodding her head in the direction of a still-desolate Jester. "I, on the other hand, am an old woman. I know a thing or two about getting people in line." She cracked a smile. "Also, unlike Fikod, I like the two of you. You're cute, in a pathetic kind of way."

Jester looked despairingly at Kivish, while Hatchy looked torn between laughing and tearing the old woman apart. She chose the former, letting a chuckle escape her lips.

"You're a bitch. I like that," Hatchy declared, reaching out a hand. "You're hired."

Priorities

It didn't take long for Kivish to make her mark on Battletrials.

She firstly appointed a new manager and put them to work on what this fortress needed most of all right now... coffins.

Once she was happy with Catten's management of work orders she immediately asked Jester to take her on a tour of the mine shafts, which had been the pride of Fikod's achievements while in charge of Battletrials.

She shook her head as Jester showed her documents outlining planned expansions to the mines.

"This is completely unacceptable. Your people just avoided killing each other over these mines. Shut them down." Jester shook his head. "But we have found no metal veins, we can't stop digging!"

Kivish glared at Jester. "So are you saying you don't have trade caravans? From the Mountainhomes? Who carry metal bars with them?"

Jester hesitated. "We do, but-"

"But nothing. We will revisit the mines after we re-adjust some priorities back towards the arena. You need to give Battletrials a battle to lift their spirits. You have a goblin, don't you?"

"Well yes," Jester said, "We captured him after she tried to kidnap one of our children."

Kivish smiled. "Then that's what you need to focus on. Get the goblin, get her to the arena, and put on a spectacle."

Jester returned her smile. "Alright... but what about the mines?"

Kivish simply tore up the expansion plans, handing them back to Jester. "These people are fighters, not miners," she said simply. "Except for Sloth. He's special."

Change of plans and change of fortunes

Kivish ordered the miners to get to work on the arena. Dismissing the pre-dug prisoner area she directed them to build a drop over the main arena itself.

"This way," she had explained to Hatchy at the time, "They can't just run away the moment the doors to the arena open. You drop them directly into the main battle area, right next to your gladiators."

"But what if they break a leg? Then they're sitting ducks," Hatchy countered.

Kivish shook her head. "Goblins are tough little bastards. They may bruise a little but they will be in fighting shape. Worst case scenario, we build a ramp one level down from the drop point and build hatches to prevent them climbing back up."

Hatchy started to object, then thought the plan through and stopped. She gave Kivish a strange look. "How do you know this, old woman?"

Kivish laughed. "I used to have a pet gorilla. That's how I fed him."

Let training resume

With the arena nearly finalised, the two gladiator captains set about expanding their teams, ramping up for the first battle.

The two teams welcomed the changes, relishing the chance to get back to what they did best.

Rimtar, one of Jester's original recruits honoured the occasion by changing his name to "Crusoe".

Sloth was formally welcomed into the team, having been hastily recruiting just before the attempted rebellion.

Edum, still wearing the dwarven earring made from Kosoth's skull, had also been drafted (at her request). She had also taken on the name "TokimiDwarfy". She joined her husband, Nix.

Lastly was a cheery female by the name of Lalasa. Everyone loved her, especially as her missing front teeth meant every breath produced a soothing melodic whistle with every exhale.

Introductions complete, they resumed their training in earnest.

At last!

Jester asked Kivish to call a town meeting in order to make an announcement. The town's spirits, buoyed by the recent arrivial of Kivish and the learning that she wasn't a complete psychotic like Fikod, were further lifted when they were told to not enter the main dining room until they had a barrel of booze with them.

With the town appropriately outfiited, Jester got up on a table and looked out over the sea of dwarven faces.

"Hello everyone! Today is a glorious day for it marks the beginning of what we came here to do... put dwarven toughness to the test!"

The dwarves cheered as Jester unfurled a large parchment banner.

"One week from today, we will witness Battletrials history as ShadowHammer becomes the first warrior to prove their worth in the arena!"

Again the dwarves erupted. Jester jumped down off the table, headed over to the rear wall of the dining hall and hammered the notice into the stone with a large peg and the butt of his sword. "Now raise your booze barrels, to ShadowHammer and to Battletrials!"

The dwarves cheered a final time and started drinking, moving their way over to the poster. On it was a picture of ShadowHammer, sword at the ready. On the other side of the poster, a snarling goblin.

Battletrials Arena Schedule

Arena 1v1

ShadowHammer vs Ngoso Zolaktosnak

Strike the flesh!

===========

Phew! That was a big one but now I'm all caught up. :)

Time to make cage-traps and increase fortress value like crazy to start attracting more goblins. :)

Sloth, apologies if gender isn't what you wanted. Just picked one that was a fresh arrival. :P Also I have manually set your weapon to be a pick, so you aren't fighting with a spear.

« Last Edit: July 29, 2013, 07:53:50 am by HectorX »

ShadowHammer

• Bay Watcher
  • God is love.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 30, 2013, 10:49:39 am »

Yay! People raised booze barrels to me!
Three cheers for BeerPiles Battletrials!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 13