Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 198

Author Topic: The Pit of Magic: A Perplexicon Game. [Oh well.]  (Read 365515 times)

Sarzael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Starbound
Re: The Pit of Magic: A Perplexicon Game. [Half the Man He Used to Be]
« Reply #705 on: August 06, 2013, 01:48:11 pm »

Another way to beat him would be to make him fall on the water (or throw water at him), being careful not to touch it when that happens.
((If one discharges electricity, it would be strange to concur that if a conductive substance (which ain't pure water, but in this case I'm betting this does, as it should be impure given its close proximity to the surroundings) if I had anyway to ionize something, it would really help my cause.

Problem is, I've no idea how the battle mechanics work as it seems Toaster has ran an attacker headfirst without me spotting it (opposing speed rolls only), or..do I have any idea what the wand does. Or most of the words. Or my bias against magic and its imbuing properties and rant rant rant blargh.

I'm doomed. No more ideas please unless you are Derek and within hearing range, thanks. u_u))
I think the wand works with will, Just tell it to work and it will do something. I havent yet found the way to track how that Something works, low rolls may cause things that can pretty much destroy you, and i havent seen yet high rolls with it. If you re desesperate should try it, maybe with some luck it will do something helpful. Try to speak with it though mind and specify what you want it to do (And it seems i broke your last petition)
Battle Mechanic Works:
First speed roll (Of both) to see who attacks first.
Then dexterity roll (Of both) to see if you avoid/he punches himself accidentally
Then strenght/potency/will roll (Of attacker).
Then endurance/will roll (Of attacked).
If you survive, depending on your rolls, you may or may not have a chance to counterattack.
You can hide that you re going to attack by pming Toaster the exact action you want to do, and im not sure, but i think that if your character doesnt know hes gonna be attacked, attacker wins initiative.

Atleast, thats how i think it works. Now cast a metal at him and run, is your best bet at living, aside of somehow throwing him to lake.
"They say love is the most powerful force in the universe. I'm trying to harness it to make weapons of mass destruction."

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #706 on: August 06, 2013, 01:48:46 pm »

No, but considering you re not using it, maybe you could hand it to me? I wanna test if it has to do with the Will stats, and considering you re probably gonna die... You could hand it to me and then safely cast a blackhole and kill everyone who attacks you (Along with yourself, but you will have revenge at least)
I wont force you to anything though, so please?
[1. I don't know your character.
2. I used it every time I cast a spell.
3. I'm always probably going to die, so my worth is being made into a value--this obviously hurts my feelings.
4. Safety, and the notion of something illogical does make a convincing argument.
5. Revenge is not what I'm aiming for.
6. Sure, go get that wand. Everyone blatantly knows where the magma room and can guess where I am.]

>_>
((What does the wand even do?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Lalasa

• Bay Watcher
  • And then there will be none
    • View Profile
« Reply #707 on: August 06, 2013, 01:51:38 pm »

((Well, Derek was trying to stop the bleeding on Myra's arm, but Myra ran out of the room, so I don't know how that will go.  Toaster may make my action first, but they might also make Myra's first, and then Derek can't help.

From what I can tell, the wand does random effects based on where you aim it and how lucky you are.  Of course, the wand has not proven terribly useful to me so far  ever since it turned Derek's legs into solid iron.  The wand doesn't seem to support words and works outside of them.))

Sarzael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Starbound
« Reply #708 on: August 06, 2013, 01:57:52 pm »

((What does the wand even do?
It seems to cast random stuff (Probably its not random, just looks so) when activated. In one of the posts, Toaster said that you 创Will the Wand to activate``, so i want to see if will has to do with its power.
"They say love is the most powerful force in the universe. I'm trying to harness it to make weapons of mass destruction."

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #709 on: August 06, 2013, 02:09:06 pm »

((Well, Derek was trying to stop the bleeding on Myra's arm, but Myra ran out of the room, so I don't know how that will go.  Toaster may make my action first, but they might also make Myra's first, and then Derek can't help.

From what I can tell, the wand does random effects based on where you aim it and how lucky you are.  Of course, the wand has not proven terribly useful to me so far  ever since it turned Derek's legs into solid iron.  The wand doesn't seem to support words and works outside of them.))
((...I'm still in the room :/))

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #710 on: August 06, 2013, 02:17:19 pm »

Grab the spear. Actions!
Froi Fintieshro Ouzzitt pickup result if possible

[Derm Spd:6]
[Hale Spd:5]

[Derm Pot:6+1]
[Derm Dex:6]
[Hale Dex:6]
[Hale Str:5]

[Hale End:2]

Derm, facing Hale, says his words.  A sphere of glass, surrounding a point of nothingness, forms in the air before Derm.  It hovers for a second then fires directly forward.  Halfway across the room, the glass shatters and collapses inward toward the point.  The point slows down as the suction begins.  Hale, seeing it coming, dodges the only way he can- straight off the ledge.  He falls off and lands with a crack, breaking his right arm.
You know what I noticed?
No Froi Fintesro Ouzzit. It would probably be a warm hybrid of two atypical weapons, but I still want to see the result. And I'm sure Hale would find it fairly useful!

Anyways, free to everyone, GreatWyrmGold's Compilation of Words! This includes every page's suspected theme and the meaning of every word I know or can guess. PEACH.
(If you're all good, I might even make it viewable by everyone! Hahaha, aren't I funny?)
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

draco1234

• Bay Watcher
  • What's the worst that can happen?
    • View Profile
« Reply #711 on: August 06, 2013, 02:21:19 pm »

Grab the spear. Actions!
Froi Fintieshro Ouzzitt pickup result if possible

[Derm Spd:6]
[Hale Spd:5]

[Derm Pot:6+1]
[Derm Dex:6]
[Hale Dex:6]
[Hale Str:5]

[Hale End:2]

Derm, facing Hale, says his words.  A sphere of glass, surrounding a point of nothingness, forms in the air before Derm.  It hovers for a second then fires directly forward.  Halfway across the room, the glass shatters and collapses inward toward the point.  The point slows down as the suction begins.  Hale, seeing it coming, dodges the only way he can- straight off the ledge.  He falls off and lands with a crack, breaking his right arm.
You know what I noticed?
No Froi Fintesro Ouzzit. It would probably be a warm hybrid of two atypical weapons, but I still want to see the result. And I'm sure Hale would find it fairly useful!

Anyways, free to everyone, GreatWyrmGold's Compilation of Words! This includes every page's suspected theme and the meaning of every word I know or can guess. PEACH.
(If you're all good, I might even make it viewable by everyone! Hahaha, aren't I funny?)

Damn you! :P  I just spent all morning compiling one of those..  Almost the same too, though I didn't have Gagossemat on mine :S
« Last Edit: August 06, 2013, 02:26:10 pm by draco1234 »

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #712 on: August 06, 2013, 02:23:57 pm »

I would have released it earlier, but it didn't feel like the right time, and I didn't have the latest bits added until just before I noted that turn mistake.
Sig

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #713 on: August 06, 2013, 02:24:50 pm »

Also an question, can you overcharge different stats same turn?

No.

Will the pony to allow me to ride it, more specifically if needed, into battle.

You'll have to try it and see.

Problem is, I've no idea how the battle mechanics work as it seems Toaster has ran an attacker headfirst without me spotting it (opposing speed rolls only), or..do I have any idea what the wand does. Or most of the words. Or my bias against magic and its imbuing properties and rant rant rant blargh.

The catch here is I can't really get in your head.  If you give me a straight action, I'm going to run it as written, regardless of changing circumstances*.  If you specify "unless someone attacks me, in which case do this," I can run with that.  Otherwise, I'd have to try to guess how you would respond to an attack.

*Unless the attack blows an arm off or removes your target or something.  For example, Corsair's character was going to cast a spell until he jumped off the ledge to avoid vacuumy death.

((...I'm still in the room :/))

That would likely be resolved via speed rolls, unless an action was changed.

Battle Mechanic Works:
First speed roll (Of both) to see who attacks first.
Then dexterity roll (Of both) to see if you avoid/he punches himself accidentally
Then strenght/potency/will roll (Of attacker).
Then endurance/will roll (Of attacked).
If you survive, depending on your rolls, you may or may not have a chance to counterattack.
You can hide that you re going to attack by pming Toaster the exact action you want to do, and im not sure, but i think that if your character doesnt know hes gonna be attacked, attacker wins initiative.

This is fairly accurate, except the last phrase.  In case of conflict, I roll speed regardless.  If someone has a "if I am attacked..." style action, I run that if the other person has the intent of attacking.  When I nixed the awareness stat, any function it had is essentially wrapped into speed- if you go first, it is assumed you noticed and reacted accordingly.

If someone managed to launch an attack from completely out of line of sight, then it would be different.

Basically, I'm trying to run it like Piecewise did without many of his written rules.

What I have been doing:

Opposed speed rolls to see who goes first.  In case of ties, do both actions at once.
Opposed aiming rolls, when applicable.  In some cases (if whatever the attacker does is not aimed), the defender may get a straight dodge roll (IE not opposed.)  Not in some cases- for example, an element said with no targeting appears about five feet in front of the caster, and neither party rolls for dex.  In opposed cases, ties go to the attacker, defender beating by one is a partial dodge.  Defender beating by 3+ allows a counterattack if in melee range.
Assuming the attack was successful, then damage is handled.  If a spell, original potency is considered versus an endurance roll.  If it's a melee attack, strength considered versus endurance.  If it's a grapple, it's an opposed strength check.

When considering damage, the source is taken into account along with rolls.  If someone throws a rock at another player, a Str 5 throw and a End 2 hit might knock them down.  If it's a quality steel sword, the same rolls would probably result in the target bleeding out.  If someone launches a boulder the size of a house at you and it hits, you're dead without a endurance roll.

Will-based effects are handled similarly.

Clear as mud?  I handle a lot of this by feel instead of rule because I'm bad at writing this stuff down.

PPE: Yeah, he was too busy trying not to die to cast.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #714 on: August 06, 2013, 02:27:27 pm »

Oh, so there wasn't any time left in the turn after he landed?
Sig

Sarzael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Starbound
« Reply #715 on: August 06, 2013, 02:30:16 pm »

He isnt asking if the pony will let him ride it, hes saying that he will attempt to use the WILL stat to control the pony. Is kinda weird is me who noticed out first O_O.

draco1234

• Bay Watcher
  • What's the worst that can happen?
    • View Profile
« Reply #716 on: August 06, 2013, 02:30:49 pm »

I wish people would hurry up and start killing each other again, I'm itching to start playing this!

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #717 on: August 06, 2013, 02:31:19 pm »

He isnt asking if the pony will let him ride it, hes saying that he will attempt to use the WILL stat to control the pony. Is kinda weird is me who noticed out first O_O.

Oh hey, you're correct.  Derp!

More like OH GOD MY ARM IS BROKEN

Also, interesting list.  Heh heh.  Anyone found the pattern yet?  You know, the one that doesn't exist?
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Sarzael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Starbound
« Reply #718 on: August 06, 2013, 02:34:51 pm »

I wish people would hurry up and start killing each other again, I'm itching to start playing this!
Well, on one side, we have Piecewise, creator of the previous games, the man made out of electricity and repulseforce, who knows most of the rules!
On the other side, two random people, one with iron foot, and the other missing an arm, both with bare knownledge about battle!
Who will win? All of this and more, on the next turn!

Oh hey, you're correct.  Derp!

More like OH GOD MY ARM IS BROKEN

Also, interesting list.  Heh heh.  Anyone found the pattern yet?  You know, the one that doesn't exist?
Well, with basic Perplexicon knowledge i guess all the words in a page will be of same type, for example, the word for Sphere, Pyramid, Cube and stuff will be on same page.
Im triying to find pages about Concepts, which is probably one which contains 创Doesnt do anything`` and about Targeting, which i guess can be either 创Doesnt do anything`` or like Perplexicon, on which 创Your left arm tingles`` 创An invisible force is shot on front of you``.
And inside those page i search for specific words.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2013, 02:37:44 pm by Sarzael »

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #719 on: August 06, 2013, 02:39:47 pm »

Well, with basic Perplexicon knowledge i guess all the words in a page will be of same type, for example, the word for Sphere, Pyramid, Cube and stuff will be on same page.
Im triying to find pages about Concepts, which is probably one which contains 创Doesnt do anything`` and about Targeting, which i guess can be either 创Doesnt do anything`` or like Perplexicon, on which 创Your left arm tingles`` 创An invisible force is shot on front of you``.
And inside those page i search for specific words.
Empirical evidence has long since proven the first point.
Beware looking for Targeting on its own! It's possibly on one of the pages I've labeled or will label "Modifiers," which is what I say when all I'm certain of is that it does nothing without some other word.
Sig
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 198