Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 198

Author Topic: The Pit of Magic: A Perplexicon Game. [Oh well.]  (Read 370281 times)

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
Re: The Pit of Magic: A Perplexicon Game. [I am Iron Man]
« Reply #300 on: July 21, 2013, 09:23:53 pm »

"Steel is always better than iron. Lets get stainless."

Josionp Pioncale

Qadschrona

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: July 21, 2013, 09:46:59 pm »

I'm starting to get irritated at people who don't PM words.

I love the fact that I'm getting new words but its completely overshadowed that every other player now knows them too.
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Lalasa

• Bay Watcher
  • And then there will be none
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: July 21, 2013, 09:54:09 pm »

I love the fact that I'm getting new words but its completely overshadowed that every other player now knows them too.

((Sorry for not being secretive.  Or not.  I harbor a slight dislike for any submitted interaction that is just "Actions!" so I'm not about to start that.))

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: July 21, 2013, 10:28:13 pm »

Don't worry- there may or may not be something 100% new to this game that people will need to work at a bit to figure out, even if the word is said publicly.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: July 21, 2013, 10:34:50 pm »

It's intentional on my part. I'm hoping to make this a different-feeling game from Perplexicon. Heck, I have half a mind to make my word compilation public...but that would remove all the challenge, so I won't.

Attempt to activate the ley lines.

Should I survive this, which I hope I do:
Uticat
Villognio
Bical
Injurnerib
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

The Ensorceler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: July 21, 2013, 10:55:05 pm »

Charles, glancing through his book, immediately perceives he is in a VR psychological experiment run by a psychotic appliance obsessed with magic and decides he will win this thing. For his pet thing. And his fish bowl.

Charles walks up behind Jack, placing his left hand to Jack's mouth, and calmly says icht kiforiter yeat. And then jumps backwards in horror.

Thearpox

• Bay Watcher
  • Failure isn't allowed until it's mandatory.
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: July 21, 2013, 11:04:03 pm »

It's intentional on my part. I'm hoping to make this a different-feeling game from Perplexicon. Heck, I have half a mind to make my word compilation public...but that would remove all the challenge, so I won't.
Or maybe you guys could begin to like... roleplay your knowledge?
Like consiously not auto-picking a known word, even if you meta-know it.
Maybe rolling a die to see which word you say if you don't IC know any words that would help in the said situation.

I know roleplaying is hard, but once you get past that initial hurdle, it's actually a lot more enjoyable. Maybe have a couple rules to help roleplaying, like through how many rooms one can hear you say the words.
And it helps add irony to the situation. What was the word, when Greek playwriters had something hidden from the character, but revealed to the audience? You should have that.
And it's also much more enjoyable to read for someone who's not playing.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2013, 11:05:40 pm by Thearpox »
Why are 100% of my posts in ER? I already have another account. Created this one specifically for playing.

Not online every Friday evening till Saturday night. If I am listed as online, I am still not online, as my computer has an annoying habit of waking up to the tiniest distraction and then going off to sleep again.

List of links to charts and graphs here. Work in progress. Check it out?

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: July 21, 2013, 11:05:57 pm »

I don't particularly have the inclination to keep a separate list of everything my character knows, especially when the likes of dermonster won't be limiting themselves like that.

No offense, derm. You're just...violent.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Chink

• Bay Watcher
  • !
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: July 21, 2013, 11:08:51 pm »

It's a deathmatch game. They don't tend to be heavily focused on roleplaying.

Thearpox

• Bay Watcher
  • Failure isn't allowed until it's mandatory.
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: July 21, 2013, 11:15:11 pm »

Chink: It's a deathmatch match game with a puzzle aspect. I'm not asking you to form relationships or likes and dislikes for your character. But roleplaying your knowledge is actually what you are already doing when you are sending pm's. It's just that now you would be doing that in open sight.

The thing is, that PM's words is one of the most BS ways to prevent everyone from knowing everything.

First of all, (and I don't know if you've actually dealt with this already) if you're with someone in the same room, you should still know what words they said regardless of how secretive they are.

And the whole thing with making a new character that will have the knowledge of the previous one.

Or PM'ing words when your characters are on the opposite sides of the world. (less of an issue now, but still.)

And the fact that PM's are private, also kills the entire cheering audience part.
Why are 100% of my posts in ER? I already have another account. Created this one specifically for playing.

Not online every Friday evening till Saturday night. If I am listed as online, I am still not online, as my computer has an annoying habit of waking up to the tiniest distraction and then going off to sleep again.

List of links to charts and graphs here. Work in progress. Check it out?

Lalasa

• Bay Watcher
  • And then there will be none
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: July 21, 2013, 11:23:34 pm »

I'm roleplaying (or trying to kinda).  That's why I'm intentionally ignoring anything anybody else discovers.  It's derm's problem that he's bothered by public words because not everyone is playing as competitively.  I don't expect to win, I just like playing a scared little man running around trying to burn forbidden books and growing trees.

The same argument of irritation could be made for having to read Movement and research! for every post.  It's really boring.

If you're actively looking to copy other people's discoveries, then that's playing to win only and ignoring all logic barriers.  I won't partake in that and in fact refuse to. 

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #311 on: July 21, 2013, 11:34:49 pm »

I just want to watch the world burn. Easier to do that if I give everyone matches.

The Ensorceler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: July 21, 2013, 11:45:17 pm »

You didn't give us matches. You gave us napalm.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: July 22, 2013, 12:03:36 am »

"Admittedly-that-is-a-very-nice-torso."

Keep trying!

Corsair

• Bay Watcher
  • New Zeland giveth, New Zeland taketh away
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: July 22, 2013, 05:31:49 am »

You didn't give us matches. You gave us napalm.
More like nuclear submarines
So it was like a binary search, except the question is "Has the input been brutally murdered?", and it only ever returns True.
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 198