Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 123 124 [125] 126 127 ... 198

Author Topic: The Pit of Magic: A Perplexicon Game. [Oh well.]  (Read 369420 times)

TCM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Pit of Magic: A Perplexicon Game. [Killllllllll FRENZY!]
« Reply #1860 on: September 17, 2013, 04:14:38 pm »

Will doesnt help you if you re being smashed in the face agaisnt the ground... Oh wait look at that giant lion behind you. Oh wait you looked at it! Your brain just exploded.
Aaaand thats the reason you had so many chances at beating me. Circle of repel flesh wouldnt be a weapon but rather a protection, you wouldnt be able to get though it with your mere fists within a few turns (Depending on mage channeling) since will doesnt require pool, you can destroy people outside while safe of physical characters.
And sprinting doesnt really help you, as once you get the words to define the position you can attack players without the distances matter anymore. *Lava Where im thinking at* now its raining lava over you, or right where you step, or inside your lungs. Same with Control What im thinking of, it can affect anything you can think off, thus you could be controlled even if you re running two rooms away.

Science is gonna be done, considering there are more players at magic than physical, you cant stop that, and words will be learnt. One single turn can find a word that will easily kill physical characters. And so far no magical weapons have been able to hurt arcane energy persons. The only words i remember in Perplexicon capable of heavily hurting Arcane Energy were quicksilver and Arcane Energy itself, but triying to take a weapon out of arcane energy isnt a good idea, even if the hilt seems safe. And a weapon out of solid quicksilver will be too heavy as to be useful, and to toxic as to be safe to use.

Willmancers do not need for speed and avoiding, they can simply create a few creatures to slow enemies down while skulls are crushed, blood boils, eyes fly away like rockets, and persons are controlled into destroying stuff and killing themselves.

Conclusion: Pure-Physical characters will never beat an magical player with same quantity of souls. Magic weapons can be easily destroyed by Dispel Magic.
Also people wasnt original enough with will back in Perplexicon. Did anyone ever try to make a will-modified living magic armor? *Tries to punch person in the face, when suddenly spikes grow from helmet and pierce your hand, then the armor casts a lightning and you re dead.

You're speaking in pure hypothetical again. And Science takes time, at best it takes one turn. One turn, plenty of time to get shoulder-checked from the other side of the room. And that's supposing you find a good word immediately, instead of finding "flower" or "yellow", which are just as likely as finding anything else. The physical characters does not need to have any set-up to do an uppercut or headbutt. If you set up the hypothetical that will-based characters can easily summon up familiars, I can do the exact same and say that physical characters can bash you in before you could get a decent word out.

I made a physical character. He only could hurt and killed because of physical moves. And his killer died attempting magic.

Starting mages are weaker than physical characters. They have the potential to overpower physical characters, but in all situations with a new mage and new melee character battling, all variables make the former weaker than the latter at that point. The option of the mage is either to try to fight back, run away, or attempt a spell, which might be something good, and then might be properly cast.

Also, I find that I can have more fun role-playing physical characters than mages. And you can't beat that. 
Because trying to stuff Fate/Whatever's engrish and the title of a 17th century book on statecraft into Pokemon syntax tends to make the content incomprehensible.

Hapah

• Bay Watcher
  • The nice guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1861 on: September 17, 2013, 04:17:44 pm »

Also, I find that I can have more fun role-playing physical characters than mages. And you can't beat that.
Quoted for Truth; Play as you wish to play.

(When will the murder resume?)
I can't be expected to remember the names of everyone I've tried to stab.

Bored? Go read the EVE Chronicles.

Thearpox

• Bay Watcher
  • Failure isn't allowed until it's mandatory.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1862 on: September 17, 2013, 04:31:25 pm »

Repeating the same stuff all over again.
Playing the same game.
Saying the same things all over again.
Guys, I ask you to stop. You're repeating yourself, and it isn't interesting anymore. If you really want to continue this, please take this PM, or even better, call each other. Because forum communication is obviously not doing it well for you.

Because for the last dozen posts it's been Sazrael repeatedly telling all the awesome things a mage could do in an apparently broken Perplexicon, to TCM's repost that it all doesn't matter because those things won't be discovered yet. And Sazrael is obviously wrong because it is true that if stuff isn't discovered, then it can't be used. Unfortunately, we seem to have run out of words to say that, so it's time to put the lid on the whole thing.

Or you just divide up the army among players, in which case you basically end up with a "gang" (Or, the word I would must prefer to use that is much more applicable to this is "droojinas," (Дружина) which literally means "A group of friends".) warfare. And that can be awesome. But very chaotic, and the fun will be in sending all the gullible minions under your command to slaughter.

You mean a spot of the ol' ultra-violence?
Was that a pun? Because I'm really bad at them.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Clockwork_Orange
"Droog" literally means "friend". That's a dumb name for a gang. Дружина is not a gang name, it's a type of war-oriented social structure.

How I would handle the army thing is simple: When someone makes more critters for the army, they control them.  You can tell them to obey someone else, or join this group or whatever, but they start off under your command.  So if somebody is off adventuring for supplies, he doesn't control too much of the army, whereas if he's in the castle just making more troops he'll control lots.
How would this stop us from having the worst even organisation? If someone adventuring is beneficial to the team at a certain point, there will either be a leader who will point fingers, or the chances are that we won't get what we want when we need. And the more competitive we become, the more we will need to act as a coherent unit, the more it will be a two-person game.

The whole thing with transferring armies goes here. If we act like everyone has his own drujina, (different spelling!) them people will keep their armies to themselves, and it's a team of individuals making bad decisions all the time. If people actually share armies, it becomes an actual strategy game, but we get progressively less individualism to our effectiveness.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2013, 04:35:01 pm by Thearpox »
Why are 100% of my posts in ER? I already have another account. Created this one specifically for playing.

Not online every Friday evening till Saturday night. If I am listed as online, I am still not online, as my computer has an annoying habit of waking up to the tiniest distraction and then going off to sleep again.

List of links to charts and graphs here. Work in progress. Check it out?

TCM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1863 on: September 17, 2013, 04:42:54 pm »

Repeating the same stuff all over again.
Playing the same game.
Saying the same things all over again.
Guys, I ask you to stop. You're repeating yourself, and it isn't interesting anymore. If you really want to continue this, please take this PM, or even better, call each other. Because forum communication is obviously not doing it well for you.

Because for the last dozen posts it's been Sazrael repeatedly telling all the awesome things a mage could do in an apparently broken Perplexicon, to TCM's repost that it all doesn't matter because those things won't be discovered yet. And Sazrael is obviously wrong because it is true that if stuff isn't discovered, then it can't be used. Unfortunately, we seem to have run out of words to say that, so it's time to put the lid on the whole thing.

But I'm winning!
Because trying to stuff Fate/Whatever's engrish and the title of a 17th century book on statecraft into Pokemon syntax tends to make the content incomprehensible.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #1864 on: September 17, 2013, 04:44:27 pm »

So... If everyone goes their own way, and messes around uselessly, their team won't be very good.  And if everyone works together coherently, then their team will be effective.

I must be missing something, because that seems fairly logical.

Off-topic, has anyone else noticed that TCM is being perfectly logical and not at all silly right now?  Just seems odd. PREPOSTEDIT: Nevermind.

Thearpox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1865 on: September 17, 2013, 04:58:24 pm »

But I'm winning!
You already won! And now it's time to swallow your victory and walk away.

So... If everyone goes their own way, and messes around uselessly, their team won't be very good.  And if everyone works together coherently, then their team will be effective.

I must be missing something, because that seems fairly logical.

Off-topic, has anyone else noticed that TCM is being perfectly logical and not at all silly right now?  Just seems odd. PREPOSTEDIT: Nevermind.
To rephrase: If everyone goes their own way, and messes around uselessly, their team won't be very good.  And if everyone works together coherently, then the team will be almost certainly masterminded by one guy who will be making all the decisions, making the other players nothing more than his pawns, or more accurately his minions, and it won't be very fun for them.

As for TCM, yeah. And I think that is a good thing. Makes him less of a one-sided caricature of himself.
Why are 100% of my posts in ER? I already have another account. Created this one specifically for playing.

Not online every Friday evening till Saturday night. If I am listed as online, I am still not online, as my computer has an annoying habit of waking up to the tiniest distraction and then going off to sleep again.

Thearpox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1867 on: September 17, 2013, 05:13:41 pm »

Ahh.  Well, my reply is just "I don't think that's what would happen.".

I'd give examples of why, and probably bring up Aether/Bismuth from the last game, but I have better things to do and I already seem to argue with you a lot.
You believe Aether/Bismuth was an example of a good organisation? ...Okay. No comment on that aspect. But I just do want to point out that they weren't strictly fighting for world supremacy, and the team divisions weren't exactly set in stone.

But hey, if you simply don't think that will happen, have fun. Maybe some people would still enjoy that. I know I wouldn't unless I was the top dog, but then I'm not everyone. If you get a game going, I'd like to see how it plays out.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #1868 on: September 17, 2013, 06:50:05 pm »

Ugh... No.  I meant that Aether was an example of a group that was pretty much a loose alliance.  There were no real rules for the members.  While Bismuth was a organized group, that kept stricter tabs on people and had a definite leader.

You're saying that the team that is coherent and organized would be less fun.  But being part of Bismuth was more fun, IMO.

And as to the last part... That's entirely correct.  No offense, but you seem like the type of person who needs to be on top.  But most people really aren't that type.

Guh.  This is all irrelevant.  I'm certainly not going to run it for a long while, if at all, and this probably wouldn't affect my ideas too much anyway.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1869 on: September 17, 2013, 07:47:42 pm »

Aether was best team and you know it.
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1870 on: September 17, 2013, 07:50:58 pm »

syv: When were you ever part of Aether?

From our intelligence on Aether, it sounded pretty unpleasant, what with rationed words and orders and stuff. Aether..."Don't kill another Aetherian, share your secrets, try not to die, if you must try to get killed by another Aetherian." And half of those rules were made up just now.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #1871 on: September 17, 2013, 08:11:57 pm »

syv: When were you ever part of Aether?

From our intelligence on Aether, it sounded pretty unpleasant, what with rationed words and orders and stuff. Aether..."Don't kill another Aetherian, share your secrets, try not to die, if you must try to get killed by another Aetherian." And half of those rules were made up just now.

...I honestly have no idea what to think of this.  :-\

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1872 on: September 17, 2013, 08:17:29 pm »

@Syvarris was our double agent in Bismuth. And Bismuth's double agent in us. He was literally the intelligence division of both factions!
Quote from: Caellath (on Discord)
<Caellath>: Emp is the hero we don't need, deserve or want

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1873 on: September 17, 2013, 08:35:08 pm »

...Dangit. I had confused him with someone else.

It's been a while since Perplexicon.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1874 on: September 17, 2013, 09:12:31 pm »

Spoiler:  I joined Bismuth because my non-magic character couldn't cast any more and I had no use for secret words.  Plus, I wanted a control stone whip that YOU JERKS NEVER MADE FOR ME.  </fakerage>

Also, rules note, since someone asked:  Focuses don't stack- they apply only to the next turn.

Continue.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMAGIC!

[Pot:4+1+1]  Jet black ley lines, sucking inward with power, rapidly cover your body.  They crisscross together tightly and burst into energy.

Your form turns jet black, then suddenly starts violently sucking everything nearby toward you.

[Str:3+4]  You easily maintain the stability of your form.

You grin, but no one can tell.

be all inconspicuos and shit whilst checking the pond for magical fish, also magical plans.

You can't see anything in there besides water.  It looks quite deep.  Shrugging, you cast your magic.

[Pot:1+1]  Ley lines try to cross your body, but they lack enough energy to do so, and burn off impotently.

With a sigh, you retreat to the Grand Room.

"Here is your puppy, little girl! And now, to prepare for any ruffians I might come across!
"Pioncale Josionp! Giderboo Insubbla! Necti Jupedem!"

Give puppy to little girl. Move away from little girl, say words.

"Puppy, go play with her!"  It yips and runs around excitedly.  AWWWWW

[Pot:6]  The ley lines come, burst into energy, and turn you into steel.  There's only so many ways to describe this interestingly.

[Pot:1]  Your right arm turns into a quite lovely throwing knife; too bad it falls off.  If you weren't made of steel, you would probably be bleeding a lot now.  As it is, it still stings like a bitch.

[Pot:2]  Nothing happens.  Damn it.

+1 Strength +1 Channeling

Keefugat.

No, keefug you!

[Pot:4+2]  A quite large chunk of ice forms in front of you and thuds to the ground.  Now all you need is a giant glass of whiskey.

PMed Action!

POWER LEVEL IS OVER 9000!

The waveform collapses and Carlos appears in the unknown haze.  A voice speaks to him from the fourth wall, telling him he gets to add one more point.

Quote from: Players
Unholy_Pariah:  Outcast Wizard - West side, Grand Room (2 Pool)
Bigf00t: Bigf01t - East entrance, Bottomless Pit (6 Pool, Body is arcane field over steel core) (6)
GreatWyrmGold: Science Man - West side, Spike Room (6 Pool, Body is steel) {Right arm is gone}
The Ensorceler:  Carlos - Southeast side, Grand Room (3 Pool)
Tomcost: Jabon - East side, Spike Room (3 Pool, Body is air, Potency focus)
Hapah:  Hapah - East ledge, Grand Room (3 Pool) (3)
Harry Baldman:  Tod-6 - South of center, Cavern (3 Pool, Body is vacuum) (14)
Scapheap: Clair - East side, Spike Room (3 Pool)

The disappointment in the lack of violence in this turn is tempered by the anticipation of likely very soon-to-be violence.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.
Pages: 1 ... 123 124 [125] 126 127 ... 198