Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 20

Author Topic: Dfhack: Rendermax (and it's subplugin light)  (Read 146314 times)

Isher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dfhack: Rendermax (and it's subplugin light)
« Reply #60 on: August 06, 2013, 08:45:51 am »

This was also proposed in the depth by darkening/fog thread, which I should have linked to before.  See also the thread for full graphics support.  There was even a FotF where Toady discussed depth-viewing issues... in 2007.

While I think it's a neat idea, I'd guess that it would be enough work to eg get the offsets and scaling right that we'd be better off putting the same work into a simpler fog effect and then later on full graphics.

Good mockup. Unless there are any better ones I might try to get a real mockup using layers some time this week. I have a template from one I did in edge animate (not for DF) a while back for my own purposes, and it's crappy but it'll show a few layers stacked w/ transparency so I'll try pulling some layers from a fortress to display.

Seeing how good or bad it displays may tell us how much more work would be involved other than just getting layers stacked.

LordBistian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 12, 2013, 03:58:12 pm »

What I was going to suggest has been suggested already it appears... Items in buildings/workshops... and potentially Creatures emitting light. Perhaps there could be a flag on buildings or creatures to check it for the first item that could potentially emit light and set that light for the entire building, which would work really well for the oil lamp building as suggested. Maybe a building should, if it could, distinguish a material it was built with from an item currently inside it though.

Warmist

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of unfinished jobs
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 12, 2013, 04:10:17 pm »

What I was going to suggest has been suggested already it appears... Items in buildings/workshops... and potentially Creatures emitting light. Perhaps there could be a flag on buildings or creatures to check it for the first item that could potentially emit light and set that light for the entire building, which would work really well for the oil lamp building as suggested. Maybe a building should, if it could, distinguish a material it was built with from an item currently inside it though.
It already does that to some extent (this being only the first material matters? or sth... dunno it should work same as pumps get their material: from blocks?)

This was also proposed in the depth by darkening/fog thread, which I should have linked to before.  See also the thread for full graphics support.  There was even a FotF where Toady discussed depth-viewing issues... in 2007.
<2.5 idea>
unfortunately, if nobody does it, it's outside of my interests (meaning i might do it some day, but not someday soon). The main problem being: this would need rewriting renderer that is quite big and uses either sdl or opengl. Although source code for them exist (the only part of df that is opensource) it's very complicated and i would like to avoid messing too much with that (same idea with 2d modes not working with rendermax).

DVNO

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 20, 2013, 05:30:30 pm »

[DFHack]# rendermax light
Sorry, this plugin needs open gl enabled printmode. Try STANDARD or non-2d
[DFHack]#

.___.

Okay, so how do I enable open gl printmode? What did I do wrong?

EDIT:

nvm, got it.

To anyone else who gets this error: DFHack is talking about the [PRINT_MODE:] variable in the init. The init is a text file in Dwarf Fortress/data/init/
« Last Edit: August 20, 2013, 05:43:40 pm by DVNO »
Al mondo mal non e senza rimedio

Reach me via Bitmessage ~ BM-2DC7sWixk2iSKThdX9thhyrxWBeWRXUEv9

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #64 on: August 27, 2013, 01:59:31 am »

Just wanted to let you know that I am still working on my mod for this. I got it down to disposable torches that are used as buildmats, and then rot away and deconstruct the workshop, leaving nothing. So a dwarf can build a torch-workshop, 1x1 tiles, which gives light for a few ingame weeks before it disappears. :)

I also made a Chandler's Workshop which will make candles and candelabras which burn indefinetly. So people can get cheap, early, but time-restricted light from wood/coke, but need a bit of tech till they can build relyable lightsources.

Special gems from either Alchemy or Magic will supplement this, with a Glowing Orb or something similar. I might also do Oil Lamps, but I dont know yet how to simulate that.

Do items made of a specific materials give light? Because I could make an item "light" which is not stockpileable (and thus, more or less unmoveable) which is generated in these workshops and then rots away after a while. People could still dump it, but thats about the only way I can think of to move it on purpose.

It would work like this: Build Oil Lamp, needs Oil Lamp Tool. Run reaction "Light Oil Lamp", needs oil and a tinderbox. Oil is used up, tinderbox is preserved. Reaction produces item "light" which stays in the workshop till it rots away, generating light in the meantime.

EDIT: Tested, works:

I can even make it give of miasma, to simulate stench/smoke from cheap fuels.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 03:20:43 am by Meph »
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Kuikka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 31, 2013, 08:50:33 am »

Very interesting mod, kudos for carrying the torch from the point where nop dropped it. I love everything that adds more immersion to DF (atmospheric sounds, nice tileset, 3D visualizer). Dwarves are treated as subterranean race which doesnt love/need light but it certainly looks cool to have shadows and light.

Hopefully there'll be a day when torches can be placed to walls, idle dwarfes could replace them as daily "chores" (like cleaning etc) and certain enemies/beasts would extinguish light when they move pass the source of light.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2013, 11:28:37 am by Kuikka »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #66 on: September 21, 2013, 12:51:56 pm »

Hey,

I started testing. I cant get buildings to work at all so far, as well as creatures. the example lists CREATURE:DRAGON:BLOOD, which is only its blood? What to add to make the creature itself glow?

An example for a building would be nice. I tried Workshop:Chandler's Workshop and Furnace:Brazier, and it recognizes these as valid buildings, but they dont generate light ingame.

Another thing I noticed it this:
2D mode enables TTF.
STANDARD enables Rendermax, but no TTF.

Is there no way to have both Rendermax and TrueType active at the same time?

EDIT: Update:
Furniture and vanilla workshop (Workshop:Masons) works, but custom ones seemingly dont.
It looks very, very pretty.
It hurts FPS quite a bit, depending on the forts activities.
I cant take screenshots (only get black when I paste into paint/photoshop) for some reason. OpenGL related?
« Last Edit: September 21, 2013, 01:32:17 pm by Meph »
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Boltgun

• Bay Watcher
  • [UTTERANCES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 21, 2013, 01:49:40 pm »

I like using the plugin, there is a lot of potential with weather effects and other mods, but any chance to see it compiled for linux?

About ttf in openGL, I guess it requires someone to write it in...

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #68 on: September 21, 2013, 01:54:26 pm »

Further testing:
Putting DF from fullscreen into windowed mode creates some pretty funky effects. Changing it back to fullscreen crashes the game. (Just when I had magma, adamatine, glowing statues and a warpstone on one screen, argh)
Inorganics only glow when unmined. For example adamantine glows, but adamantine ore or bars or items do not.

I got nice results in fort mode with 0.1 for day/night cycle. :) My caverns look pretty rad, and the mining as well. Cant get creatures (glowfrog for example, or fireflies) to work, neither the custom workshops. And the ttf is killing me. On the one hand Rendermax looks awesome, on the other hand not having TTF cuts of lots of custom reaction names. -.-

Etherdrinker

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Etherdrink☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 21, 2013, 04:04:11 pm »

Sounds and look pretty neat, but...  I canīt imagine the FPS killer you are crafting here!!! 

(nope I donīt have a crappy machine, not godly, but not crappy)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #70 on: September 21, 2013, 05:06:56 pm »

Then dont use it, it will be optional. You can even enable/disable it on the fly, so play with it in a small fort, but when it gets too big, disable it for a nice fps boost. I can embark with a solid 150 FPS even while running Rendermax.

Warmist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 22, 2013, 03:08:19 am »

Sounds and look pretty neat, but...  I canīt imagine the FPS killer you are crafting here!!! 

(nope I donīt have a crappy machine, not godly, but not crappy)
Actually the funny thing is it takes away from your "graphical fps" not the "game fps" because it only performs work on drawing part of the game cycle and most forts have low "game fps" because the game complexity increases, but not the drawing of it.

TTF+opengl: unfortunately baugh did not implement that
Screenshots: probably broken opengl drivers (works fine for me)
Custom workshops: it has strange order: "addBuilding("Workshop:Custom:SCREW_PRESS",{1,1,1},{1,1,1},5)"
Creatures and items are not implemented: fireflies are items, and creatures are not implemented at all (but their blood/pus/gas/etc are). Only citizens are added.
Crashes on resize/disable : yeah i'm a crappy coder, something with multithreading maybe? Dunno, been hunting this one for a while.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #72 on: September 22, 2013, 03:37:11 am »

Ok, that sorts most of the problems. Saying: Dont window the game and chose between TTF or Light is easy enough, even if TTF is a pretty big deal when your tileset abuses the letter-tiles all the time and TTF just looks odd with it. ^^

Custom workshops: it has strange order: "addBuilding("Workshop:Custom:SCREW_PRESS",{1,1,1},{1,1,1},5)" => Nice, I'll try it out asap. So its Workshop/Furnace:Custom:BUILDING_ID. :) Why the two sets of colors? I saw that several times already, didnt quite figure out what for.

Creatures are not implemented: Thats sad... but I could do a "Glowling" which has a secretion on its skin that emits light, correct?  Would be the same as a glowing creature.

Items are not implemenented: Thats a lot more problematic. I had this system set up where you spawn a rotting plant which withers away, called Fire or Torch. So you go to a Torchbearer Statue, add a torch and it spawns a unstockpileable "Lit Torch" which gives light, after 10 days it withers, still giving light, and after 20 days it is completely gone... That should have been the lightsource in my Candlemaking and Torchmaking industry. I guess I can just use it as a buildmat, and the custom building will do all the work. Just have to rebalance some stuff then.

Can you think of any way to make light by reactions? I had a magical orb/gem planned that allows color changing. "touch the orb and turn it red" for example... but if items dont glow, I wouldnt know how to do that.

So in the end its fucking amazing, and most of these minor issues I can work around, but the TTF not being available is really bad. Is Baugh still active?

Warmist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 22, 2013, 04:08:33 am »

Two sets of colors are: occlusion and then emittance. Meaning: how much does it block/absorb other rays (including e.g. it not allowing only blue light) and the other one how much it glows.

I'm currently implementing both creatures and items (they might be a bit too much processor intensive).

Lights by reaction: i'm not sure how that will go. Probably making an item which somehow fades away (??)

About Baugh: i think Toady One mentioned that he disappeared somewhere. Theoretically somebody else could implement it just as well. I can even point to the line where it needs to be put.

CLA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 22, 2013, 04:18:37 am »

I just noticed that displaying multiple layers at once is being discussed, so I figured I'd post a mockup with a solid ground tileset I did some time ago for reference.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I think these work better than with punctuation.
CLA - an ASCII-like Graphic Pack with simplified letter-like creature graphics. The simple and clean looks of ASCII with distinct creature graphics - best of both worlds!

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=105376.0
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 20