Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 20

Author Topic: Dfhack: Rendermax (and it's subplugin light)  (Read 145364 times)

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: Dfhack: Rendermax (and it's subplugin light)
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2013, 06:12:48 pm »

put dll into hack/plugins
put lua file into same dir as df exe file is.
for best effect set black (in data/colors.txt) to non-black e.g. :
[BLACK_R:40]
[BLACK_G:40]
[BLACK_B:40]

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2013, 06:35:59 pm »

Okay, I dunno how I missed that, since I caught the note about changing the black to off-black...
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2013, 10:57:00 pm »

I tried to use it on a save, but either it shows nothing, or it crashes. I use dfhack r3 with the latest MasterworkDF version, Df34.11.

If I use 2D or 2DASYNC mode it says that I need a non-2D mode, and should try STANDARD, once I type "rendermax enable" into dfhack. It complains about missing open GL. So I changed the init to STANDARD, but the game instantly crashes back to desktop when trying to load a world. I get this message:

It probably is a limitation of the netbook, running Win7. Anyone else getting this?

I am also unsure how to link the light generation to a plant, creature or workshop. I assume that part has not been written yet?

EDIT: I could only find this, so it seems a problem with the GPU. Although I have no idea why it can run graphics just fine, but not your rendermax plugin. http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=41858.0
« Last Edit: July 20, 2013, 11:03:14 pm by Meph »
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

fricy

• Bay Watcher
  • [DFHACK:ZEALOT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2013, 01:19:42 am »

Possible, it would be good to know the model number and the manufacturer of your GPU. If it's an older netbook it's reasonable to assume that you have an intel GMA 950 chipset, and those are terrible, opengl support is only partial, the drivers are hacked together to make it look like it works. Nothing can be done about. If you have something newer you should check if there's an updated driver that you can install.

Hommit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2013, 02:24:36 am »

It works, and even didnt crash on disable

seems like light cycling isnt working, or i dont know how its supposing to work

[edit]: it works after reloading game
« Last Edit: July 21, 2013, 03:00:06 am by Hommit »

Warmist

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of unfinished jobs
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2013, 03:14:38 am »

I tried to use it on a save, but either it shows nothing, or it crashes. I use dfhack r3 with the latest MasterworkDF version, Df34.11.

If I use 2D or 2DASYNC mode it says that I need a non-2D mode, and should try STANDARD, once I type "rendermax enable" into dfhack. It complains about missing open GL. So I changed the init to STANDARD, but the game instantly crashes back to desktop when trying to load a world. I get this message:

It probably is a limitation of the netbook, running Win7. Anyone else getting this?

I am also unsure how to link the light generation to a plant, creature or workshop. I assume that part has not been written yet?

EDIT: I could only find this, so it seems a problem with the GPU. Although I have no idea why it can run graphics just fine, but not your rendermax plugin. http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=41858.0
Unfortunately i can't help you there. This is (currently?) opengl only. Maybe upgrading drivers might work? Btw does it crash with rendermax enabled when loading or just "STANDARD" mode?

As for plants this makes them glow: (although it's not split from plant when it's growing and plant-material when it's used in building)
Code: [Select]
addMaterial("PLANT:TOWER_CAP",nil,{0.65,0.65,0.65},6)
addMaterial("PLANT:MUSHROOM_CUP_DIMPLE",nil,{0.03,0.03,0.5},3)
addMaterial("PLANT:CAVE MOSS",nil,{0.1,0.1,0.4},2)
addMaterial("PLANT:MUSHROOM_HELMET_PLUMP",nil,{0.2,0.1,0.6},2)
Buildings:
addBuilding("Statue",{1,1,1},{0.9,0.75,0.3},8)
addBuilding("Bed",{1,1,1},{0.3,0.2,0.0},2)
addBuilding("WindowGlass",nil,nil,0,{"useMaterial"})
addBuilding("WindowGem",nil,nil,0,{"useMaterial"})
addBuilding("Door",nil,nil,0,{"useMaterial"}) -- special case, only closed door obstruct/emit light
addBuilding("Floodgate",nil,nil,0,{"useMaterial"}) -- special case, only closed door obstruct/emit light
Also supports custom workshops: "Workshop:Custom:<your name>" works. Did not do anything fancy with it. Japa suggested setting setting emision and occlusion to each workshop tile if it has more than one tile. This might be what i will do.
And yes creatures are not yet in. And i don't know about items: they might be a big performance drain.

Edit: just checked, 2d modes don't have an easy way to make them truecolored.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2013, 03:22:38 am by Warmist »

Warmist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2013, 03:15:20 am »

It works, and even didnt crash on disable

seems like light cycling isnt working, or i dont know how its supposing to work

[edit]: it works after reloading game
You can try "rendermax lights reload" after changing settings.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2013, 03:29:09 am »

Yeah, its an older netbook, dont think I can do a lot about it. Guess I'll have to wait 2 months till I am back on a real PC.

Plants and workshops seem fine to me. Creatures was just an idea. I assume dwarves automatically generate light? Or do people really have to outfit everything underground with the fitting workshops (1xtile ones for light generation)? I'd rather like that.

I assume that this "{"useMaterial"})" means that the workshop generates light the color of the build-mat? So a marble-candelabra would make white light, but a cinnabar/realgar-candelabra produces red light?

I dont know about items. While it would be fun to make a blessed armor or a sword that glows blue when greenskins are close, I think it would be more of a gimmick then anything else.
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

lightrow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2013, 03:54:38 am »

Alright, it works and it looks great! My embark max FPS dropped from 600 to 250 though, so no more fast-forwarding, but its worth it, thanks!

PS: never thought about how fast a day/night cycle is in DF...
PSS: FPS drop might have originated from changing printmode from 2D to STANDARD
« Last Edit: July 21, 2013, 03:58:20 am by lightrow »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2013, 03:58:17 am »

Sorry Warmist, completely forgot your question:

I start with rendermax disabled, nothing in the init. Then I type "rendermax enable" and get the dfhack error message about missing opengl and that I should try non-2d mode, or standard mode. I then exit Df, change the init, start with STANDARD mode, rendermax still disabled, and the game crashes when it tries to load a world.

lightrow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2013, 04:01:11 am »

i did it this way:

1. Launch DF, load world
2. type "rendermax light" - it says "switch to STANDARD/non-2D"
3. quit ( "die" in console )
4. change 2D to STANDARD in d_init
5. start DF, load world
6. type "rendermax light"
7. it works
« Last Edit: July 21, 2013, 04:04:34 am by lightrow »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2013, 04:09:21 am »

Sure it works for you, it is not a problem with the script, its the lacking hardware I try to run it on. ;) Nothing I can do about it, it crashes on Step5.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2013, 05:09:49 am »

I assume dwarves automatically generate light?
Dwarves generate light, though not very much.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Warmist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 21, 2013, 07:17:46 am »

I assume dwarves automatically generate light?
Dwarves generate light, though not very much.
this defines how much light they emit/occlude (i forget if they occlude or they ignore that param)
special.CITIZEN=makeMaterialDef(nil,{0.80,0.80,0.90},6)

Plants and workshops seem fine to me. Creatures was just an idea. I assume dwarves automatically generate light? Or do people really have to outfit everything underground with the fitting workshops (1xtile ones for light generation)? I'd rather like that.

I assume that this "{"useMaterial"})" means that the workshop generates light the color of the build-mat? So a marble-candelabra would make white light, but a cinnabar/realgar-candelabra produces red light?

I dont know about items. While it would be fun to make a blessed armor or a sword that glows blue when greenskins are close, I think it would be more of a gimmick then anything else.
The usematerial does use material but not that way. It tries to use material provided (e.g. cinnabar -> blocking light and not emitting light) and if it does not find it then it uses the one defined in lua. This should be used with e.g. modded in glowing crystals or just set to emit light always (like statues and beds currently do).

As for dwarfs glowing it's in and you can tweak that with line i mentioned before, but imho it's more fun when they don't and you need to build glass walls that bring light from surface or magma in the corridor walls so it would have nice red light.

I'll update second post with more info. About configuration file.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #29 on: July 21, 2013, 08:39:22 am »

Yeah, a little readme makes sense. I would have gladly tested and tried a few things and written a how-to with some screenshots, like I did for autosyndrome, but I cant get it to work on the netbook.

So when you say glowing crystals you mean that you can make specific materials glow? So for example adamantine could glow blue? And anything made of adamantine? Well, I guess I just wait for your update on the matter, since it is theoretical knowledge for me anyway. ;)

Still, my current idea is this:
 - Optional Settings for Masterwork, by default ON (depending on how high the FPS effect is)
 - Dwarves generate no light.
 - Surface would always be bright. No day/night cycle (since the speed is so high it would drive people mad after a short while, at least with the 72times faster fortress mode. A "spring twilight - summer bright - autumn twilight - winter dark" change of surface light would make more sense I think, although slightly unrealistic of course.)
 - Underground would be dark.
 - 4 custom workshops give light: Brazier, Candelabra, Fireplace and Glowing Crystal.
 - First and Second Cavern plants give light. Bioluminescence from mushrooms and crystal-tree/plants.

- If inorganics can give light, then specific materials like Warpstone or Blood/Tear of Armok (special veins and gems from the mod) would emit a faint light.
 - If inorganics can give light, would that include material emissions? Firebreath is a perfect example, or any other magical attack. It would be awesome to see burning arrows and exploding catapult ammo, both in the mod already, to generated some warm yellow/red glow.

And thats about it.

Plants and workshops can already be done, I'll await your answer/ideas about inorganics and items, and as a feature request I would ask you to try the seasonal day/night changes, just to see how it goes. Even if winter is only half-dark on the surface it would change the mood/atmosphere quite a bit.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2013, 08:47:15 am by Meph »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 20