Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 20

Author Topic: Dfhack: Rendermax (and it's subplugin light)  (Read 145368 times)

fricy

• Bay Watcher
  • [DFHACK:ZEALOT]
    • View Profile
Re: Dfhack: Rendermax (and it's subplugin light)
« Reply #30 on: July 21, 2013, 08:46:24 am »

@Meph: What about smelters/forges? I feel they should give a red glow too. At least the custom workshops, if the vanilla workshops cannot be modded. (Can they?) Otherwise seems good.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #31 on: July 21, 2013, 09:09:13 am »

Magmaforges would constantly give a glow because of the nearby magma... normal forges should only cause light when in use... I already have a dust-cloud effect on all of them, if inorganics can be set to emit light it would be easy to just add the appropriate glow to this cloud of boiling rock. Whenever a reaction is run in a forge, fuel is used, and a cloud of black smoke is generated, it could also give a red glow. Again, only possible if inorganics are set to emit light.

It would make sense to add braziers, candelabras or fireplaces as buildmats to specific buildings that should have light. For example I can clearly see the Embassy or the Tavern be brightly illuminated, or the Mages Guild showing off some kind of glow. But I think its currently only possible to make a workshop glow, not specific tiles of a workshop.

Example:

Any possible way of only making the 4 tiles emit light which show the firepace/brazier? I assume it would be quite a bit of work, so making the entire workshop glow would be ok too. Its probably easier to  just change building designs to meet the requirements of the plugin.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Hommit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 21, 2013, 11:15:03 am »

Test screening fort (all channels to be grated later):

Imho, thats abit too dark... For any normal light, fort must drown in statues and magma... (and all walls is windows, sadly no sand there)

ps: any glass emits light, not just windows? (including furniture etc. and what colors will be glass statues?)

hmm... is it possible to have non-circle light sources? (linear, oval, half-circles etc).
« Last Edit: July 21, 2013, 11:44:13 am by Hommit »

Warmist

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of unfinished jobs
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 22, 2013, 12:48:34 am »

@Meph:
Yes materials can glow (and pass light). In default configuration the light passes through gem veins.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Speed of days can be modified and color of light could be modified too (it has a list of colors) so it could work as a seasonal warm sun -> colder color sun->warm sun or sth...
Trees and mushrooms can (and do by default) glow.
Material emissions are half done. Dragonfire/fire does glow (and orange/red depending on density) looks real cool.
For buildings i think i'll do something like this:
Code: [Select]
X=<color ocupancy>, <color emmisive>, <radius>
Y=<color ocupancy>, <color emmisive>, <radius>
and then
X  Y
YY X
XXXX
@Hommit:
Actually they are not circular :D. Although with current light propagation it's a bit limited (i.e. looks ugly) if you lower the amount of light the air blocks (because it's exponential).
This line does that, and e.g. setting to {1,1,1} would disable light decay.
special.AMBIENT=makeMaterialDef({0.85,0.85,0.85}) --ambient fog

Also all values support > 1. That would make some strange things (esp with dark color schemes). It looks like HDR or something.

lightrow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 22, 2013, 09:27:58 am »

we've got darkness, now we need torches to light it up. I don't know a thing about modding raws but maybe someone can make it? Maybe as a piece of furniture? Made by woodburner at wood furnace?

Hommit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 22, 2013, 11:43:38 am »

Actually they are not circular :D. Although with current light propagation it's a bit limited (i.e. looks ugly) if you lower the amount of light the air blocks (because it's exponential).
Hmm i see what you mean. Player with values, and i think value around 0.88-0.9 is better - its more brighter, but not that much as 0.95. Need to correct light radius for entries, but they can be put for as giht as 20 or more, and then light will decay on its own anyway.

water doesnt give light even when specified :(
special.WATER=makeMaterialDef({0.5,0.5,0.8},{0.5,0.5,0.9},10)
or... it's strange. with this water does give light, but only on its own level and dont propagate across z, unlike lava. weird.
special.WATER=makeMaterialDef(nil,{0.5,0.5,0.9},10)

caverns are cool :)
addMaterial("PLANT:FUNGIWOOD",nil,{0.5,0.6,0.1},6)
addMaterial("PLANT:TUNNEL_TUBE",nil,{0.7,0.3,0.6},6)
addMaterial("PLANT:SPORE_TREE",nil,{0.1,0.5,0.5},6)
addMaterial("PLANT:NETHER_CAP",nil,{0.2,0.2,0.9},6)
addMaterial("PLANT:BLOOD_THORN",nil,{0.6,0.1,0.2},6)
(stitched from 3 images)

sayke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 02, 2013, 10:34:26 am »

holy crap this is amazing. warmist, you rule! posting to follow.
i play the incredibly awesome Masterwork DF mod - a wonderful blend of simplicity and new features that actually improves FPS!

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #37 on: August 02, 2013, 11:03:55 am »

Feature Request: Temporary lightsource from reaction.

Example: Workshop Oil-Lamp. Reaction: Light the oil lamp. Reagent: Oil. Product: 1 ingame month of light.

Just leaving this here, because I think its a neat idea. Weak lightsources that are constant, and powerful lightsources that need reagents.
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Bloax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 03, 2013, 02:49:38 am »

Could You (the adventurer) also emit light by default? ???

It wouldn't really have much of an effect in the adventurer mode, but it'd make things a bit gloomier.

oh_no

Warmist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 03, 2013, 05:24:18 am »

Could You (the adventurer) also emit light by default? ???

It wouldn't really have much of an effect in the adventurer mode, but it'd make things a bit gloomier.
I'll add that to next version (if i don't forget). The main annoyance to me in adv mode is that we can't override the default view distance. If it was my choice i would set it to fullscreen and then only use the rendermax to light up stuff.

Feature Request: Temporary lightsource from reaction.

Example: Workshop Oil-Lamp. Reaction: Light the oil lamp. Reagent: Oil. Product: 1 ingame month of light.

Just leaving this here, because I think its a neat idea. Weak lightsources that are constant, and powerful lightsources that need reagents.
I'm not sure how this would work. Maybe it's already possible with low ignition point materials? Like bonfire mod?

Bloax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 03, 2013, 06:16:14 am »

Well truth to be told, I like it more for the ambience it provides. Most notably nights being really, really dark.
Though it'd be nice (if it's possible that is) if it didn't affect the interface, since my complaint ought to be rather obvious once you look at it:

also omfg lights in df whoah cool

oh_no

Warmist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 03, 2013, 08:18:40 am »

Yeah lights over the interface is very annoying too. Can't do anything about that though...

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #42 on: August 03, 2013, 08:28:36 am »

I know that dfhack recognizes which screen it is currently watching, so why not set the default brightness/illumination to very high once you open a menu, and set it back to dark once you exit it.

Warmist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 03, 2013, 08:35:05 am »

In adv mode it's a bit more complicated. But that might be how i'll do it later.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #44 on: August 03, 2013, 09:01:27 am »

I dont know if you know (or if its important), but all my suggestions will always be for fortress mode. I have never played AdvMode and MasterworkDF is completely geared towards FortMode.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 20