Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20

Author Topic: Dfhack: Rendermax (and it's subplugin light)  (Read 145363 times)

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
Re: Dfhack: Rendermax (and it's subplugin light)
« Reply #270 on: May 24, 2020, 11:41:09 pm »

Type rendermax light occlusionON into dfhack console in STANDARD print mode. Doesn't seem to work in all versions, but here's shot of it in 43.05:

||

That's an outdated version compared to latest screenshots in thread though, ofc

flbr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: May 24, 2020, 11:42:16 pm »

Cool, I'll try that out!
flbr was
hit by the what the fuck-truck
It was very effective!

Warmist

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of unfinished jobs
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: May 25, 2020, 01:03:42 am »

Hey Warmist, is this still being developed? Though even if it's not, what would I have to do to check it out? This looks super cool!

As all of my projects they are in perpetual "in development, but me has new game to play/work/life" state. Newest idea/inspiration was from minecraft RTX. I think it would be better to make a full fort light simulation but only for screenshots - slowly integrate all the light by raytracing. Also i need to think through light bouncing in fort some more. Current model is very naive/roguelike. Issues/ideas:
  • if you have metal floors, the reflected light should be wayyy higher (i.e. specular)
  • if you have red floors/walls/etc - reflection (diffuse or specular) should be redish
  • if you have a huge mountain it should cast a big shadow in the evening
  • daylight is orders of magnitude bigger but maybe dwarves have different eye adapt function or we can play with tone mapping... not sure
  • the fort is too dark in general... original algo is limited by light source distance so we can't light everything up
  • there should be A HUGE speed up because we will be doing raytracing in a grid like world but i'm not sure on specifics
  • figure out the twbt incompatibility - if it's not going to be replaced by steam DF

<...>Type rendermax light occlusionON into dfhack console in STANDARD print mode.  <...>

It should be "rendermax light" as occlusionON is a debug command (i.e. to see how much every tile is occluding). See manual for more info.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: May 25, 2020, 02:39:55 am »

Yeah I tried that first and it froze and never rendermaxed

Warmist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: May 25, 2020, 04:41:50 am »

Huh strange it shouldn't freeze.

Anyway, tested with 0.44.12-r3 x64:

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: May 25, 2020, 09:55:23 am »

What DFHack version and OS? I did recently fix an issue that could cause just the DFHack console to freeze, but I think that was after 0.47.04-r1.
DFHack - Dwarf Manipulator (Lua) - DF Wiki talk

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.

Warmist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: May 25, 2020, 02:45:36 pm »

What DFHack version and OS? I did recently fix an issue that could cause just the DFHack console to freeze, but I think that was after 0.47.04-r1.
Whoops should have looked up what is the newest DF version  :-[

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: May 26, 2020, 12:09:48 am »

@lethosor: "DFHack version 0.43.05-r2 (release) on x86_64" and linux. And to clarify, its less frozen and more like the prompt for next command never returns plus rendermax doesn't execute.

@Warmist: yeah that doesn't work in 44.12-r1 x64 for me.

Warmist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: May 26, 2020, 02:08:04 am »

<... random dev plans ...>

Oooh new idea... Maybe make it semi-real-time? Stochastic real time? Inspired by this (probably misunderstanding and not watching all of it) lets just construct a grid of probes (e.g. each 5x5x5 block has one) and then raytrace from them randomly (maybe with some way of detecting if blocks changed etc...). The screen gets full raytracing and when it hits limit just look up the probe?

Though minor issue is that i've never done this (well tried to understand the spherical harmonic encoding and redo it to 2d for last implmentation) and i'm not sure how good does this propagate the light...

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: May 26, 2020, 08:14:37 pm »

@lethosor: "DFHack version 0.43.05-r2 (release) on x86_64" and linux. And to clarify, its less frozen and more like the prompt for next command never returns plus rendermax doesn't execute.
Yeah, this sounds like almost exactly the issue I fixed in this commit. There's a chance it won't occur in the GCC 4.8 build, so if you're using the GCC 7 build, you could try switching, but I can't guarantee it will help. You could also try grabbing a DFHack development build from https://dfhack.org/builds/ and extracting rendermax.plug.so from it (I don't recommend using the entire dev build due to this issue - not sure if rendermax will crash because of this, but it's less likely). This will only work with 0.47.04-r1, though. If you want to apply the commit to older versions, it would probably be straightforward enough, but would require compiling DFHack.

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.

Medtob

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: August 15, 2021, 03:39:22 pm »

Hi all,

Sorry to necro the thread, but this seemed like the most logical place to post, and less obnoxious than opening up an entire new thread for it.

Is there any consensus on how to best implement a day/night cycle in Rendermax?

After perusing this thread, I used the command

rendermax light sun <.1>|cycle

...but am not getting any cyclical changes in outdoor lighting. How should I go about attaining that?

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: August 15, 2021, 07:48:53 pm »

Sorry to necro the thread, but this seemed like the most logical place to post, and less obnoxious than opening up an entire new thread for it.
You did 100% the right thing. This is a long-lived thread for a project - despite recent activity, posting to it will reach people familiar with the project, and posting to the forum at large would probably not be seen by the right people. (I don't have a lot of familiarity with rendermax, but I can take a guess.)

After perusing this thread, I used the command

rendermax light sun <.1>|cycle

...but am not getting any cyclical changes in outdoor lighting. How should I go about attaining that?
Is this the literal command you ran? If so, I think you misinterpreted the help text:
Code: [Select]
rendermax light sun <x>|cycle - set time to x (in hours) or cycle (same effect if x<0)
The "|" means "OR", so you should either run "rendermax light sun <some number>" or "rendermax light sun cycle". The <> symbols mean that some value is required, so an example of the first option would be "rendermax light sun 0.1". (All of these should not include quotes when run in the DFHack console.)

Medtob

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: August 15, 2021, 10:44:30 pm »

The "|" means "OR", so you should either run "rendermax light sun <some number>" or "rendermax light sun cycle". The <> symbols mean that some value is required, so an example of the first option would be "rendermax light sun 0.1". (All of these should not include quotes when run in the DFHack console.)

Ah, many thanks, my misinterpreting was in fact the issue. I have little-to-no experience with inputs like | so am a bit more sensitive to it now at least, lol.

leastannoyingman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: December 01, 2022, 08:46:15 am »

I never managed to get this plugin to work a long time ago, but it always looked awesome. That being said, are you planning to port it to the Premium version? Some lighting would really make the new visuals come alive even more.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2022, 09:08:32 am by leastannoyingman »

myk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: December 01, 2022, 12:28:38 pm »

we'll have to see what is possible with the new DF renderer. I suspect the answer is yes, though rendermax will not be in the first wave of plugins/scripts that we update for the Steam version. The question will come down to whether we can safely hook the low level renderer functionality.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20