Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Ragnarok - After the End  (Read 2123 times)

flame99

• Bay Watcher
  • Lady Stardust & her songs of darkness and disgrace
    • View Profile
Ragnarok - After the End
« on: July 13, 2013, 06:14:30 pm »

The gods and goddesses of the Norse had long lived in relative peace, the Frost and Fire giants being under control, humanity's only main threat was their selves, and all major godly threats were contained.

Then, Skoll and Hati succeeded in eating the sun and moon, and the twin cocks Fjalar and Gullinkambi began to crow. Fenrir broke free, Surt freed the giants, and the prisoners of Helheim began to rise from their grave. The dwarves were thrown from the forges of Nidavellir, and the elves fled from Alfheim and Svartalfheim, retreating to Midgard. The gods and the residents of Valhalla waged war against the Giants, and the beings of Hel began to serve as the rank and file.
All the details had gone hand-in-hand with the Norse legends. All but one.
The gods lost.
The giants destroyed the gods great strength, and overran the Aesir and the warriors of Valhalla. The Frost and Fire giants roamed across the land. The dead came back, as the warden Hel was gone. They were twisted and insane, and soon many humans became the same.
You are the leader of one of the few settlements that did not fall, be it to the dead or the giants or the twisted Aesir. Human stragglers still roam the landscape, and should you convince them to join you, they can bolster your ranks. But be warned: As more and more humans join, there will be less and less food to go around, and space will become an issue. You must decide weather to take in the wandering men, or leave him to die because of shortages.
Fight, brave soul, through the crazed soldiers and then fearsome giants, through starvation and misery, and rise again, as the new bastion of humanity.
Spoiler: Current Units (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: List of Jobs (click to show/hide)
You produce 10 food and eat 5.
Spoiler: Inventory (click to show/hide)
It/its, they/them, in order of preference.

Not gay as in happy, queer as in fuck you.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Re: Ragnarok - After the End
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2013, 06:18:03 pm »

I'd have to check, but aren't dark elves dwarves?

Frigg, Cuocco: Farm.
Nass, Good: Scout out the area, looking for survivors or sources of trouble.
Bently: Exposit the scenario a bit more (e.g, tech level? location? tools available?) whilse checking stocks and whatnot.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

flame99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2013, 06:20:32 pm »

No, not according to my sources, but some dwarves also live in Svartalfheim.

Also, to any who care, my source for this is the Encyclopedia Mythica found at Pantheon.org

Harbingerjm

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTROPY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2013, 06:22:56 pm »

Frigg, Cuocco: Farm.
Nass, Good: Scout out the area, looking for survivors or sources of trouble.
Bently: Exposit the scenario a bit more (e.g, tech level? location? tools available?) whilse checking stocks and whatnot.
Mostly +1, but Bently should research.
15:35   HugoLuman reads Harb his secret spaghetti recipe

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2013, 06:31:04 pm »

But wait, only two humans ever survive Ragnarök, and even they have to go into the tree to survive.
Also the gods did lose Ragnarök.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2013, 06:33:48 pm »

I'm pretty sure everyone lost Ragnarok.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2013, 06:35:31 pm »

I'm pretty sure everyone lost Ragnarok.
Except for that eldritch abomination eating the roots of Yggdrasil forever, who h is the closest thing to complete evil in Norse myth.
*primps*
Sig! Onol

flame99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2013, 06:37:13 pm »

As I said, creative license. Also, either there are variations on the myth or my source was wrong. I'll start looking into it.
Edit: I meant the variation of the myth thing about the gods surviving; it did mention the death of all but two humans.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2013, 06:39:25 pm by flameboy99 »

Harbingerjm

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTROPY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2013, 06:37:30 pm »

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2013, 06:39:10 pm »

*primps*
How terrifying.
Trust me, when you get to know him he's mostly annoying.
Sig

escaped lurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2013, 06:41:09 pm »

But wait, only two humans ever survive Ragnarök, and even they have to go into the tree to survive.

I read multiple pieces on norse mythology - fond memories indeed - but this is news to me. I am very certain that this is some christian-induced part, seeing as most scripture was tended to by monks. And heavily changed to reflect a more christian world-view. Main reason why many people find the new-age-norse-cults well.. odd. The real myth has been written over many times, and is by now presumebly as close to its original like the story of arthur. Or originally not-even-arthur, as the original king of legend was seen as not christian enough - caus' he obviously never was. Eh, you get my point, I do hope.

Be that as it may, GWG's Plan seems good +1
Also, very interested in how this will play out.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2013, 06:43:25 pm by escaped lurker »

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2013, 06:43:05 pm »

I also recall the two-humans ending being added later by Christians.
Sig

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2013, 06:53:01 pm »

Huh. I will have to look into it.
*primps*
How terrifying.
Trust me, when you get to know him he's mostly annoying.
That's my point, so thanks!
Sig! Onol

flame99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2013, 07:18:52 pm »

You send out Nass and Good to explore the nearby area. They take two rations each, and telling you that it should only take two days to take a cursory examination of the surrounding area. You ask Bently about the current situation. He gives you a puzzled look, but soon snaps out of it.
"Ah! That's right. I'd forgotten that you'd only recently arrived. Well, we are- or rather, were- in an urban area, but the giants and gods often fought in the general area, creating a rather mismatched landscape. There are a few small deserts to the west, where some Fire Giants had battled what I believe to be Tyr, a few tundras scattered about where the frost giants fought, and several woodlands from Freya's influence. We have some electricity, running water, and so on from the few undamaged pipelines and power lines that were undamaged in the conflict. As far as tools go, I have several beakers, various chemicals, a microscope, and a few other things. Oh! We also made a pretty big find while we were digging out a collapsed building. While it's not very practical, it is a nice little curoisity: We found a fully functional seismograph! One thing we have noticed is that there are almost constant small tremors, as well as more frequent large ones, with apparently no scientific explanation. Then again, we just witnessed legendary gods fight giants. I think there are currently a lot of things without scientific explanations."
You then tell him to begin researching something.
"There's more than one thing I can research. What is it that you'd like me to work on? Or possibly something else entirely?"
As you think about it, you have the two farmers begin growing some food. Even if a lot of it will go to waste, it's not as though they couldn't use the experience, even if one IS an elf.
You make 10 food, and consume 7.
Spoiler: Inventory (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Researches (click to show/hide)

EDIT: I did a very cursory examination of various internet sources, and they all seemed to confirm that in the legends, the gods would win against the giants and Loki, but barely, and only two humans survived. The remaining gods would get together and resurrect the slain gods, and then aid the two surviving humans in repopulating the world.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2013, 07:33:09 pm by flameboy99 »

Harbingerjm

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTROPY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2013, 07:27:04 pm »

"There's more than one thing I can research. What is it that you'd like me to work on? Or possibly something else entirely?"
Erm, do we have any guidelines on what he can research?
Pages: [1] 2